• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KH3D Site Updated: System Section!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

OathkeeperRoxas XIII

Silver Member
Website
www.fanfiction.net
This day just gets better and better!
I took my dogs to the park and found an aqua blue 3DS on a bench. I was around it for about 2 hours playing fetch with my dogs/checking if someone would come for it, no one did so I took it home with me. When I got home I played around with it a bit. He has no friends added in his friend list. I don't know how else to contact him.
I'm keeping it, I love free shit. >:3
It's pretty awesome because I was considering purchasing a refurbished 3DS from the GameStop/EB Games website. They're like $129.99 CAD.

aaand then around 10 PM it started SNOWING! Yay, I love snow~ <3

aaand now I get to see more DDD footage?! Just makes my already sweet day even better. :D

Anyways, the AR games are so cute! Wonder Nyan is adorbs! <3
I really like the Traverse Town music. :D

Cool story bro. Wish I found one so easily.

Narukami

&#7435;&#618;&#628;&#610;&#7448;&#618;&#628; &#743
Awards
Website
stormdiver.tumblr.com
The jagged edges aren't all that disappointing... It would be if that's what the whole game was centered around, but it isn't.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I still dont understand why they do that. it proably means there are no safe areas

Or hmm possibly safe areas are in other locations or it is similar to how when the 1st District was overran with Heartless in KH1 for that one part.

Or for example purposes they showed battle in that area so they wouldn't reveal other areas fully yet even though we've seen them before.

D

Deleted member 87467

The new Traverse Town theme reminded me of Part of Your World form The Little Mermaid.....

Kingdomon

I wonder why it is taking so long for some Youtube user to "rip off" and 'create' the new Traverse Town music, like someone did to the Pokémon B/W Battle Theme when there were just short clips of gameplay. It obviously wasn't very close to the one in the final product, but was pretty cool.

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards
I'm not really liking the battle music for Traverse Town so far. All I'm hearing is repetitive loud notes again but I'll hold my judgement til later we hear the full soundtrack. Country of the Musketeers is beautifully designed; especially the houses.

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
The Traverse Town music reminds me of the Snow White music a little bit.

What's a word for non battle music?

Just music. Battle music is already very specific, so anything that doesn't have that in it can be implied to be regular, non-combat themes.

Or something like that.

Ikkin

Bronze Member
Since the whole game isn't centered around the Dream Eaters, it is obvious they won't look as good as that. The PokeDex has the liberty to have a higher poly count for monsters since that is all it really is. Pokemon eye candy.

KH3D's got a lot more crap happening.

Well, if they wanted to stick separate models on the disc based on the super-high-quality render versions, it would have been just as easy for Squenix to make the Dream Eaters look nice and round as it was for Nintendo to make nice (relatively) high-poly Pokemodels. =P The amount of stuff going on screen in the game itself doesn't really affect the level of detail that can be shown in AR mode, which either has very simple backgrounds or no background at all besides a camera feed, and Squenix isn't opposed to making separate models for parts of the game where there's less going on if they feel it'd be advantageous (see: the HQ cutscene models).

There's no technical reason why the Dream Eaters couldn't be nice and smooth. It's probably just considered a waste of time by Squenix 'cause graphics fiends tend to ignore "pet the fake pet! =D" stuff anyway. ;)

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
Well, if they wanted to stick separate models on the disc based on the super-high-quality render versions, it would have been just as easy for Squenix to make the Dream Eaters look nice and round as it was for Nintendo to make nice (relatively) high-poly Pokemodels. =P The amount of stuff going on screen in the game itself doesn't really affect the level of detail that can be shown in AR mode, which either has very simple backgrounds or no background at all besides a camera feed, and Squenix isn't opposed to making separate models for parts of the game where there's less going on if they feel it'd be advantageous (see: the HQ cutscene models).

There's no technical reason why the Dream Eaters couldn't be nice and smooth. It's probably just considered a waste of time by Squenix 'cause graphics fiends tend to ignore "pet the fake pet! =D" stuff anyway. ;)

There is a technical reason: storage space. Making a couple of models for important characters is one thing, making different models for a couple of dozen creatures that basically come down to canon fodder is something else.
They could make high quality pokemodels because it was a download, so storage space isn't (for the creators at least) an issue, that's all up to how much space you have left on your 3DS.
If I had to choose between making a couple of models for minor "characters" or more content in another area, I'd go for the latter.

Ikkin

Bronze Member
There is a technical reason: storage space. Making a couple of models for important characters is one thing, making different models for a couple of dozen creatures that basically come down to canon fodder is something else.
They could make high quality pokemodels because it was a download, so storage space isn't (for the creators at least) an issue, that's all up to how much space you have left on your 3DS.
If I had to choose between making a couple of models for minor "characters" or more content in another area, I'd go for the latter.

Actually, I'm not sure storage space would be an issue. Textures could be re-used across the HQ and LQ models for Dream Eaters, since they seem to be high enough quality as is in the Wondernyan screen to hold up even when they're taking up most of the screen (which makes sense; with the 3DS's RAM, a single 512x512 or 512x256 texture map to replace KH2's single 256x256 map would be entirely reasonable in gameplay, especially since KH doesn't use bump/normal maps, and that's plenty big for a 400x240 screen given KH's tendency towards large areas of bold color without much intricate detail). The only thing they'd really need to change is the polygonal model itself, and those are fairly small if the XNALara downloads I found are anything to go by (Aqua is 250KB for a ~3k poly model, KH2 Riku is 370KB for a ~5k poly model). Given the lack of small separate details and the 3DS's screen size, 10k should be plenty to make a Dream Eater look nice and smooth while retaining mesh file sizes under 1MB -- there's about 50 Dream Eaters, so you'd be looking at less than 50MB of extra space, which is, quite honestly, nothing on a 4GB card unless they're filled to the last byte.

As far as I can tell, they should have plenty of extra space, so that shouldn't be an issue. Kingdom Hearts II only took up one side of a CD (3.7GB), and that's with three CG videos at 640x480 (at the very most, we'll get three CG vids at 800x240, which is 5/8ths of the PS2's resolution, and almost certainly has some neat compression tricks that make the size relatively lower for the resolution due to the repetition inherent in 3D... and I kind of doubt we're getting three CG vids, given that Birth by Sleep only had one and the pre-rendered in-engine Secret Ending; IIRC, KH2 had one pre-rendered in-engine cutscene as well, which would probably be unnecessary in 3D since it's using a cart). KH2 also had an incredible 10 hours of voiced cutscenes as well, compared to maybe 4 1/2 for Birth by Sleep, and sound is relatively space-intensive, which should free up even more space. KHII had higher-poly models too, though I'm not sure how much that affects the overall size.

The only thing that should increase in size from KH2 is textures, which should be larger, higher-res files to take advantage of the 3DS's 3x increase in RAM. Those will almost certainly be more limited by RAM than by disc space, however, since textures don't appear to make up a majority of the data anyway -- every player, ally, NPC, enemy and boss (with gameplay animations), animation-less HQ cutscene model, and static item in KH2 put together weighs in at a bit over 700MB; even if the world data doubles that, halving the sound and video requirements should allow texture data to be tripled without much of an issue given that the mesh size would decrease.

By the way, Pokedex 3D? It's 23MB (179 blocks) total, and I'm pretty sure it downloads all of the Pokemon at once rather than taking more blocks when you find new ones. If they can't make room for 23MB in a 4GB game with nearly-imperceptible sound/video compression tweaks, something's gone wrong (and we'd probably end up with FFXII-quality sound =X ).

OathkeeperRoxas XIII

Silver Member
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Reading what Ikkin said, I'll take what we can get. Besides we're only going to see some NPCs in Traverse Town , so no worries. And about the Mickey ordeal, I think that's either our Mickey from the ROL or a Mickey like in Timeless River.

micbeasty

Can anyone identify what kinda animal this dream eater resembles? i can't tell if its a fat baby ram mix with a beetle or what

Swordsy

What was the first world shown in the Free Flow Action video? It was like some sort of desert region with dead trees.

Also, has there been a release date for this yet for any region?

Mirby

Too many games too little time
Awards
Website
twitch.tv
What was the first world shown in the Free Flow Action video? It was like some sort of desert region with dead trees.

Also, has there been a release date for this yet for any region?
Country of the Musketeers.

March 2012 for Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back