• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Married women who don't take their husband's last name? Your opinions.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

krexia

Translator
Awards
Meh, no strong opinion on what others do - what's in a name, and all that.

I'd quite like to keep my own name, though.

Beyer

I actually quite like the idea of changing my last name, maybe if gay marriage gets legalised where I live and I find the right guy, I might change to theirs. Maybe.

I don't really care what people do with their names but hyphenated names are silly in my opinion. They are going to get way too long if it goes on. Eg. Anderson-Roberts-Cullen-Black-Potter-Stackhouse? No thanks.

tangerine

Awards
If the man in the relationship doesn't like his name, then that's no excuse to take a woman's name. Just legally change your last name to something cool and force the woman to take it.

IceBlueWings

もっともっと&#
I don't mind and want to take my husband's name, though my mom doesn't use our family name. It's just something I'd like, for no reason at all. I think hyphenated names are cool actually, as long as they're not too long.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
Just legally change your last name to something cool and force the woman to take it.

...Do you know how expensive it is to change your name in the United States? Particularly to change it so that every document that you use in this country says your new name instead of your old one? It's probably cheaper to just take your wife's name.

I don't particularly care one way or another, but I like the wife taking the husband's name because it creates a consistent family tree of naming and maiden names.

tangerine

Awards
...Do you know how expensive it is to change your name in the United States? Particularly to change it so that every document that you use in this country says your new name instead of your old one? It's probably cheaper to just take your wife's name.

I don't particularly care one way or another, but I like the wife taking the husband's name because it creates a consistent family tree of naming and maiden names.

I wasn't awake of how much it costs in the United States, but I just checked and it's even less in most states than it is in my province in Canada. (Which is not that much, by the way; a maximum of $137. The example I'll use for the United States is a name change in California, which costs roughly $79 with an added $60 to change the name on all of your documents if it's required. The added $60 is actually just a fee to cover the shipping of your documents, so it technically costs less than it does in Canada.) I can't find much more information at the moment about how it works in the States (from what I gather it's just one cost, dependent on age group), but here it works like this: the cost is dependent on how many of your names you want to change. (I.e. first name or last name or both or full name.) The reason you're changing names doesn't matter, even if that reason is marriage. I know because I've changed my name and I've read/been through the processes before.

All of this to say: it doesn't cost much to change your name and marriage doesn't change the cost.

Oh, and my first post was obviously a joke.

lilVon

live, laugh, lobotomy
Awards
They should be taking their husband's last name. They ARE women for a reason. It's bad enough they demand equal rights.

^This without all the sexism, she better take my last name or they'll be problems, though i sappose the hyphonated thing dosnt bother me to much.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
She can choose whatever the hell she wants. Conventional rules be damned, if she doesn't like my last name, I'm not going to force her to take it.

Fractured_Heart628

Bronze Member
One thing I didn't get was why does the woman always have to change their surname to their husbands? I know it's tradition. Why can't the guy change his surname to the woman's?

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
One thing I didn't get was why does the woman always have to change their surname to their husbands? I know it's tradition. Why can't the guy change his surname to the woman's?

It's probably just a result of the west having a male-centric society for the last 2000 years. Though I don't really know how it went in other parts of the world.

Fractured_Heart628

Bronze Member
Well, if I do get married, I hope that my husband will let me keep my last name. I might combine my last name with his. I mean, my mom got married, but she changed her last name. I kept my last name, because my father didn't really want to let my stepdad adopt me. But, if a woman wants to keep her last name then it should be a decision between her and her husband.

denizenofevil

I don't want to go through the trouble of changing my last name so I'll keep it. My kids will have my surname too. If my husband can squeeze out babies through his nether regions, he can give the babies his surname.

Silverslide

need some more candy cane
I don't want to go through the trouble of changing my last name so I'll keep it. My kids will have my surname too. If my husband can squeeze out babies through his nether regions, he can give the babies his surname.

No. It should be a mutual decision, his nuts played a part in it too <_<

denizenofevil

No. It should be a mutual decision, his nuts played a part in it too <_<
He got the easy part of the work. I'm the one who's squeezing the baby out. I think it's fair although I guess it would depend on if I really hated his last name or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back