• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Married women who don't take their husband's last name? Your opinions.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
Someone didn't read my post. Thousands of dollars... I'm sure.

Really? Did you read my post? Because I was just mentioning minors.

Considering I know the entire process someone had to go through (and it was literally thousands of dollars through lawyer fees and other costs) it is not cheap to change the name of a minor to the point that every legal document now has the new name on it.

I assumed it was the same for an adult, but I suppose it's cheaper to do so as an adult (since there's less legal tie-ups or whatever).

State

Awards
In my country, even though you get married, a woman's last name isn't changed to her husband's. Although I AM against this idea, I've still to get a reason WHY to hate it, since a lot of things in life have their pros and cons.

Raiton Kensei

Peace through Violence
Awards
My girlfriend's mom kept her last name when she was married. Although my sister and her brothers have their dads last name, her mom kept her original last name. I asked her why and she said because she didnt wanna feel "tied" to a man. She didnt want to feel like a hopeless woman (the type you see on lifetime movies) that needed to depend on a man because the only reason she married a man was cause 1. yes she loved him but 2. she just needs a companion in life. SHe doesnt need a man to take care of her.....it was more but i cant remember it all but thats basically the reason why she kept her last name. My girlfriend doesnt even fully understand why her mom is like that lol.

My Japanese teacher has her last name but her american husband took her last name. She said somethign along the lines of when Japanese marry the family discuss about which name to take, which usually whoever family is more wealthy or is known more will be the last name the couple takes. So it doesnt matter if the man takes the womans name or vice versa.

krexia

Translator
Awards
Can minors get married?

My Japanese teacher has her last name but her american husband took her last name. She said somethign along the lines of when Japanese marry the family discuss about which name to take, which usually whoever family is more wealthy or is known more will be the last name the couple takes. So it doesnt matter if the man takes the womans name or vice versa.
I think it's only recently become legal in Japan for married couples to have different surnames. Something like 5% of couples go with the wife's family name.

Thinking about this more, I'd actually prefer to have my mother's maiden name than my father's name, but that's mainly because I never knew my paternal grandparents and so identify far more with mum's side of the family.

tangerine

Awards

Considering I know the entire process someone had to go through (and it was literally thousands of dollars through lawyer fees and other costs) it is not cheap to change the name of a minor to the point that every legal document now has the new name on it.

I assumed it was the same for an adult, but I suppose it's cheaper to do so as an adult (since there's less legal tie-ups or whatever).

No. You don't have to involve lawyers of any kind to change your name in any state. There are a few states where the cost to change a minor's name is slightly more expensive than the cost to change an adult's name, however this is not the case in most parts of the United States, where the cost is much cheaper. As I mentioned, the cost to change the name on all legal documents is universal throughout the states (at a cost of around $60) and has nothing to do with the name changing process itself.

If this "person that you know" really had to pay thousands of dollars, then there is absolutely no way that he or she paid for a simple name change. The name change probably came as a result of some other legal issues which had to be covered with such high costs. Again, you don't need a lawyer to change your name.

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
So do you just head on over to the court house and ask to have your name changed?

Me and my finally had all of our last names changed and I don't recall going to court for the process, we just entered our local municipal (lol) goverment facility and filled out a plethora of documents and continued filling documents at home, going through various processes, and in about two months our last names were changed.

bond of flames

you've got a soul, use it.
Website
www.facebook.com
it doesn't really matter to me
do what you want

for me though, i'd rather take her name if i got married
mostly cuz i dislike my family that much and since i'm the only boy, it would be me to continue the name
but i'd rather take hers

Katurian

I would probably take my husband's last name. I understand why women keep their last name, like my sister-in-law did, but ever since I was a little girl, I always took the last name of the guy I had a crush and put it with my first name. If it didn't flow together, I told myself I wouldn't marry him :p lawl not that I think of it like that now, but, I don't I find it kind of romantic I guess.

Fortissimo

I like my last name, always have. So I don't think I'll change it unless my future husband has a cooler last name.

Obviously, i don't have a problem with women not taking their husbands names. Let people do what they want in this situation, it'[s not hurting anyone.

Wintertide

Sp00ky GuRl
Awards
Can minors get married?

I thought minors can only get married if they have parent permission and have enough money to support themselves and pay for the marriage.

Anyways, if I get married and my husband's last name is even worse than mine, I'll stay a fish forever.

Mistearea

Fear the Mist
Shifting through the spaces like only Mist can.
Personally, I wouldn't really mind if a possible future wife took my last name or not. All that I know is that I would keep it.

My reasons is because there are names like mine. Mine is Daugherty and is always mispronounced. I don't know many people who would want this name except for those that have grown up with it. I'm one to believe that a name is what leads a person down a specific path. My first name means "wise little owl". As such, I have been gifted with a high intellect, granted my spelling could use major work. My middle name also means "enemy's child" and this typically shows in the fact that I have a habit of thinking things on the "evil" side. Finally, my last name means "Misforune" and has proven in the fact that my family does not have the best of luck(Ironic that we are all Irish).

So I'm not one to care much if names are taken or not.

Siren

brutally homeless and fluffy
Awards
Thinking that names lead your future (aside from cultural connotations and social stigmas) or affect your personality is about the same as thinking that your horoscope applies just perfectly; these things are so vague and can be interpreted in so many ways that you can make them work no matter what.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
I'm one to believe that a name is what leads a person down a specific path. My first name means "wise little owl". As such, I have been gifted with a high intellect

wCaPg.jpg

Mistearea

Fear the Mist
Shifting through the spaces like only Mist can.
Sellers is bound to have been derived from another family name long ago. Besides, it was quite often that a family name was chosen due to a family's profession at the time. Chances are that if you find a Smith, that person has ancestors that made a living as blacksmiths. But the only names that I have found this for are all European names. Asian and whatnot are unknown to me. The only way that I have the meaning of my family name is due to the fact that it is one that has been around for centuries and has been unchanged, or changed very little, throughout the ages.

Katurian

Okay, historical value, understandable. I have three brothers to carry my families last name, so I'm not too worried. I also planned to my son after my last name which may sounds stupid to some people, but I really do love my last name, just not enough to keep it once I get married... My sister wants to do that too thought.... now we're in a sensible race to see who will have kids first when we're ready!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back