• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Kingdom Hearts Trios - Editorial

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Which trio is your favorite? Tell us why!

• Terra, Aqua, Ventus

Votes: 40 32.0%
  • Roxas, Axel, Xion

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Sora, Riku, Kairi

Votes: 42 33.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enchilada suiza

Hi I'm a mexican teenager fan.
I just choose the 2nd option because it was very difficult to me so I did random it but that's not my answer because I've been part of the Kingdom Hearts Family so I know all the experiences that every character did and feel their emotions so I would like to choose the three of them so every trio is and it will be in my heart forever.

Flickr

Aaah...these words are poetry. So true, this is exactly why R.A.X are my favorite trio~ They care for each other in a way that (maybe it's just me) I see really more...relatable then the other trios. Don't get me wrong, I adore T.A.V, but throughout the game they always talk about what great friends they are...yet we really don't get to see them in that relaxed, friendly setting in exception for once. Sure, they do care about each other, but watching those little scenes on the clocktower really connected me with Xion, Roxas and Axel. The same goes for Sora, Kairi and Riku, though we've got more friend love goin' on than T.A.V. Overall, Roxas, Xion and Axel will always hold a special place in my heart. <3

rac7d

The prince of Tides
Awards
if we get more kairi and riku interaction i could get a descision

Smile

Codename: D
Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
editorial-bbs-1.png

Welcome back, fans!

Even in the absence of Kingdom Hearts news, the staff still strives to help ease your boredom and anxiety as we await more information about the future of our beloved franchise.
So joined with the recent graphics update, yours truly is proud to present the next part of The Trios in Kingdom Hearts editorial.

We stopped last time when we gave Roxas, Axel and Xion a good pondering, and now it's time to pass judgement on the other new trio, the Keyblade Wielding trio of Terra, Aqua and Ven.

As opposed to the Days trio, Terra, Aqua and Ven are presented as friends from the start. They had their introduction in the game's tutorial, but before long Terra and Aqua received their solo-missions, and Ven ran away from home. When next they meet, Aqua didn't know how to handle Terra and his Darkness, Terra had to deal with an old friend and a father figure not trusting him, and Ven was so devastated he was on the market for new friends. They tried to hold onto what was left in the second half of the game, but it was all for naught.

For better or worse, that is what we get to see in Birth by Sleep – how those three friends fell apart.
Looking at their motifs and natures, one soon reaches the conclusion it was inevitable given even the smallest of conflicts. They were raised by a Master who loathed the Darkness. This made Terra out to be a black sheep when his own Darkness began getting out of hand, leaving him at odd's ends with the rest of the group, as well as with himself. Aqua was so torn between her new title of True Master and Eraqus, and her loyalty to Terra and Ven. She began pushing the others away at one point, believing it to be for their own good. Ven's past came back to bite him in the meanwhile, leaving the boy with no choice but to do away with himself. Small wonder they were scattered across the skies, waiting for Sora and Riku to grow up so they could save the lot of them.

It's hard for me to resent the tragic ending, seeing how Birth by Sleep having a sad ending was quite obvious. They didn't hold back with the conflicts, the dilemmas, and the inner monologues.
However, there's a problem when a trio is introduced for the sole purpose of being torn apart – the positive basis tends to be lacking.
For instance, their interaction can be summed up as Aqua bossing and yelling at everyone, Terra running away to Xehanort be it for reassurance or revenge, and Ven acting as the abused puppy who only wants a patting – no matter who from.
Even in the flashbacks, it's hard to see the trio as a true trio, since from even within the group and up to quite a high level of plot – Terra and Ven are the closer duo while Aqua's an odd addition seemingly there to raise the head count.

The first person to admit this is Aqua herself with her declaration the other two are like brothers, making one wonder where it leaves the girl herself in that regard.
The second is Master Xehanort, whose plans rely quite a great deal on Terra and Ven pushing each other forward according to his evil plots.
The third testimony is, sadly, the flashbacks which show us the precise point in time where Ven became so attached to Terra. He even kept the wooden Keyblade Terra gave him all those years ago, and considers it his priceless treasure. Small wonder then that Ven is the one Terra asked to watch his back when the need arises.

Aqua on the other hand received the mandatory flashback of being the one to find Ven waking up from his coma. She then proceeds to fill the less-than-favorable role of being the over-protective guardian. This created quite the harsh contrast to Terra, who kept giving Ven a chance to prove himself and showed his faith in the boy.
Ven in return is the one who calls Aqua out on her misbehavior in Radiant Garden and keeps her at an arm's length so long as it doesn't seem to bring him closer to Terra.

It's not like Aqua and Terra have too much going for them either, though. True, there is the current plot inside the game, but they presented almost nothing for it to fall back on. Even after years of living together, Aqua chose to listen to Maleficent - someone she declared to be a liar – instead of give a years-old friend the benefit of the doubt and a chance to be heard. I understand she was in a difficult position, all of a sudden thrust from being Terra and Ven's equal to being supposedly above them as one of the True Masters. However, is a tiny show of confidence too much to ask for, in light of all they supposedly have been through together?
Added with how we barely see anything positive out of the two from before, it leaves a great deal to be desired, what with Ven being the one who heard Terra 'attacked' Snow White, and not Aqua. It's too easy to believe that rather than friends, they were barely classmates.

So, no. I do not need a whole game's worth of ice cream scenes in order for a relationship to be believable. However, for a trio to be one the audience can relate to, especially a trio whose fates were doomed from the start, there needs to be a contrast to the tragedy, proof that something was lost and therefore should be mourned. In that regards, the Birth by Sleep trio is quite an anemic, unconvincing trio, and it's a shame seeing how the emotional impact of their demises is meaningless as they're not too easy to relate to for some.
I need to care when they all go to hell for each other, don't I?

09.09.2010.kg1.png

5 for the conceptual demise, and because Terra did try to balance it somewhat.

~♥~​

And that's it for this time. Join us next time as we review the last of the dominating, Squenix-original trios in the series, the leading, main trio of Sora, Riku and Kairi!
And it can be found Here~

OathkeeperRoxas XIII

Silver Member
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Kinda a tie between TVA and SRK. Both have been through alot (KH1/KH2 and BBS), have one friend who will fight to get them back (Sora and Aqua), and each of them are keybladers wielders (one from each of them are rookies). So I have to wait until KH3 to say whose my real Favorite.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
Well, I agree with everything that was said, really. But there's one thing that really bugs me. Why the heck was everyone so awful to Aqua?! It makes no sense to me!

First off, it was first Ven that questioned Terra, and yet the youngest apprentice called Aqua "awful"? There's something wrong with that picture to me. And it's very true that Terra and Aqua acted like a couple where Ven was almost the child they were responsible for. Terra also babied Ven and in fact told Ven to go home, too.

Sure, Aqua might have been more forceful with her duties, but she ended up being right. When Ven and Terra left their friendships out in the cold, Aqua was the one who tried to mend bridges and sacrificed herself in saving them.

To me, I think people's judgments of Aqua are too harsh. Even if she hadn't confronted Terra about what he'd done, Terra still would have resented Aqua for being a Master. So yes, this trio was doomed for tragedy, too.

Well, maybe not Ven. If Ven didn't follow Terra like a lost puppy he would have been fine. Actually, if Ven hadn't confronted Eraqus he still would have been fine.

And honestly, Aqua had legit reasons in questioning Terra. And lines like, "Ven. You let Aqua take you home." "You can't. We have a dangerous task ahead of us. I don't want you to get hurt." "It might be a different route, but I'm still fighting the darkness." Makes you raise an eyebrow. Especially since Aqua didn't know about Vanitas and had "seen what Terra had done in the other worlds." Personally, with a Master so anti-Darkness, it's no question why Aqua acted the way she did. And I think she was mainly speaking her fears, in other scenes she seems to believe in Terra more than anyone else.

Aqua's role's a hard one also because she had to fill in the "Kairi" role. A role that many people already have problems with. So yes, I think Aqua's treatment from her boys and the fans is quite unfair. Personally, I think she's one of the best KH characters (second to Sora in my book). And she's the real hero in BbS, too (I think Nomura said something somewhat similar).

To me, all the characters messed up, but Aqua was better because she TRIED to mend bridges and was there for her friends until the end. Terra and Ven gave up on each other and Ven was a hypocrite so I almost don't feel bad for them.

Okay. That's not true. I love all the KH characters and do mourn them. Mainly because I think, unlike yourself Smile, that the flashbacks showed them as a very strong and close trio. Maybe even the strongest. It's just sad that lack of communication on all sides led to a tragic downfall.

Sorry if it seemed like I talked about Aqua too much. I just hate how people can be so closed minded about her, and so anti-KH girls. And you pretty much covered all of the other aspects anyway, Smile. LOL

Fractured_Heart628

Bronze Member
I'm kinda tied between AkuRokuShi and TAV. I mean, both groups had to go through a lot of sacrifice.

For example, Axel and Aqua, both of them ended up losing both of their friends. Aqua had to fight Terranort in order to rescue Terra from being under MX's influence and she protected Ventus after he lost his heart due to the fight with Vanitas and locked him away C.O. in the Chamber of Waking, so he wouldn't be in the wrong hands.

Axel ended up being the scapegoat for Roxas and Xion. When both of them got into trouble with Saix not letting them go on a mission. Axel interrupted and eventually Saix let them join up on missions. But, when it came to the end of Days, Axel had to choose between Xion and Roxas. He ended up chosing Roxas, but he couldn't save either of them.

TotemoOishii

I'm dissappointed with this second installment. Sounded more like a rant against BBS than an analysis of it. Well, I found the character's and their friendships very believable. People seem to forget that they believed whole-heartedly in each other until the villians (Xehanort, Vanitas, and Maleficiant) started giving them doubts. But in everything they did it was for one another and even if the ending was a tragedy, I think they held on to their friendship even as they fell into misfortune.

Smile

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
LightUpTheSky452 said:
First off, it was first Ven that questioned Terra, and yet the youngest apprentice called Aqua "awful"? There's something wrong with that picture to me.

Ven had quite the good reason to doubt Terra, seeing Vanitas's involvement and what happened in the Dwarf Woodlands. Then came his and Aqua's meeting with Maleficent which would've no doubt shattered the boy's faith in Terra for good, had it not been for Aqua's support, oh the irony.
However, there's a difference between doubting a friend but still wanting to help them, and doing what Aqua did which was to accuse and assault Terra. That's what got Ven to talk back to her. Even if he had his doubts which were by no means unfounded, it's how Aqua went about it that did indeed make things much worse and basically ushered Terra into Xehanort's clutches. "Master Xehanort is the only one I can trust" - well he and Ven, apparently, but by no means Aqua.

Sure, Aqua might have been more forceful with her duties, but she ended up being right.

This is actually very ironic since one has to wonder how badly Terra's descent into Darkness would've been, had Aqua acted differently. If instead of pushing Terra away right into Xehanort's clutches, she'd have heard him out and thus created a situation in which all three stuck together.
Not only would she not have made any accusations, chances are that the ones she did make would've been wrong.
It was a prophecy that fulfilled itself, in a sense.

When Ven and Terra left their friendships out in the cold, Aqua was the one who tried to mend bridges and sacrificed herself in saving them.

This is where it truly gets tricky because it's not like Terra and Ven truly just up and left, so much as had their own circumstances. as oathkeeperriku09 said, Aqua's the one fighting for the other two, while Terra was struggling with the Darkness and Ven had his own past and Vanitas to deal with. It left Aqua to be the voice of reason, but far too much was ruined beyond repair by the time she was close enough for her voice to reach them.
Though I'm not so sure how concentrated she was in protecting/saving Ven when she told him to go home and then left him alone, with Vanitas out on the loose and Ven most likely not going home just because she told him to.

Even if she hadn't confronted Terra about what he'd done, Terra still would have resented Aqua for being a Master. So yes, this trio was doomed for tragedy, too.

I debated with Zulkir about this in a recent thread just recently, and while I do agree that there was jealousy involved, I really don't think Terra would've fell to Darkness this easily just because Aqua made Master but he didn't. Look at their meeting in Castle of Dreams - he was intent on fighting on for his dream. Aqua didn't beat him, she just got a bit ahead and he had to work a bit harder to catch up, just like Ven would have to do to reach both Terra and Aqua.
It's not until Aqua did what Ven described pretty accurately and got ahead of herself that Terra seemed to be offended. Aqua being a Master wasn't an issue until she forced herself to act like one, calling him out one moment only to start stringing out excuses and apologies once she saw authority alone won't get Terra to agree with what she said.

Actually, if Ven hadn't confronted Eraqus he still would have been fine.

That's quite the naive stance, seeing how I doubt Vanitas and Xehanort would've stayed quiet for too long, even had Ven returned home. Isn't that what Xehanort did, eventually? Sent Ven home to face the music and reach a breaking point?

Personally, with a Master so anti-Darkness, it's no question why Aqua acted the way she did.

What personally irks me the most about this is the bi-polarness of Aqua's stance, joined with how even Terra himself seemed to not know where the Darkness came from. He said exactly this right after Eraqus broke the news that he flunked the exam.
As for the bi-polarity, one moment she protects Terra in front of Eraqus and Ven, calling Maleficent a liar, the next she's all over Terra's case, making him out to be some sort of a monster.
While I do understand the pressure she's under, there's too little to even this out and makes me think how things were between them before. Like she was holding onto something so fragile that Real Life showed her wasn't made to last. Ven's extreme reaction is also something that makes me wonder, if their relationship was that stale and picture-perfect without essence, that at the first sign of conflict, he wanted new friends. Like he had no idea how to patch things up ever.

Aqua's role's a hard one also because she had to fill in the "Kairi" role.

I actually really disagree with that. Kairi's so far been a DiD and sans that one scene in KHII, no game made too much of an effort to try and change it. Aqua's a True Master, one who survived the Realm of Darkness without being a Princess. This is yet another thing I agree with oathkeeperriku about - Aqua's the one fighting to keep everyone together, whereas that was never in Kairi's role description beyond the SRK reunion scene in KHII. She's usually one of the people fought for.

To me, all the characters messed up, but Aqua was better because she TRIED to mend bridges and was there for her friends until the end.

I think this is where we part ways view-wise. I actually blame quite a bit of BBS's tragedy on Aqua and her decisions. I understand where she's coming from, but I have no sympathy for her treatment of Terra in RG or how she basically vented it all on Ven after her fight with Vanitas. Had Eraqus not made her a Master, I think everything would've been better all around since she'd have been under less pressure to mess up.

Mainly because I think, unlike yourself Smile, that the flashbacks showed them as a very strong and close trio. Maybe even the strongest.

I fail to see how they're the strongest in light of Days, personally, but I really didn't see the 'trio' in the flashbacks. The focus was constantly on Terra and Ven. Even when Aqua walked in on Ven waking up, it was like they couldn't let the two have a scene alone so they instantly cued Terra rushing into the room, grinning like the lovable idiot he is. When Terra pulled the 'Rite of Succession' "ritual" with Ven, It almost felt like Aqua had to offer a snide remark least we forget she was there, and thus prove her mandatory presence. See part of why I loved RAX - the duo levels. I don't need Terra and Ven to have a 'moment' for Aqua to be shown next to them, which was what happened in most of the flashbacks.

Now, again, I don't really blame TAV for not being the trio they could've been, but I do think they could've made things betters. Either show us some more positive interaction all around instead of key moments that gave only a certain part of the trio true attention, or - give us more reasons as to why they broke apart, making it seem like they truly were trying to hang on. Like, have Aqua meet Snow White in the Dwarf Woodlands and hear of what Terra 'did', and not Ven. Otherwise, there's just too much constrast between the 'plot' worlds and the 'Disney' worlds, which adds up - seeing how scenes like the DI visits were planned from as early on as KHII, going by Nomura, but it's the in-between worlds that he came up with recently and didn't connect as well as he could've.

This trio has a lot of potential to it, but they came up short.

I'm dissappointed with this second installment. Sounded more like a rant against BBS than an analysis of it.

An analysis hardly has to be positive, 'm afraid. It hardly turns it into a rant quite yet just because I didn't praise them.

Well, I found the character's and their friendships very believable. People seem to forget that they believed whole-heartedly in each other until the villians (Xehanort, Vanitas, and Maleficiant) started giving them doubts.

It's more how quick they did begin to doubt that bothered me, personally.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
You know I love you for essentially pointing out that Aqua has been overly glorified by the fandom, don't you?

Smile

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Actually, Aqua's getting a similar reaction as Xion did from me - the more I debate about her, the more I'm growing to like her, even if my starting points were opposite in regards to the two.
She brought a lot of it on herself and I truly do think that had she not been made Master, things would've been better. About the only thing I really do feel like blaming her, or rather, the story-telling, is how little she was given to go on before Radiant Garden.
But it only adds up to the feeling that each member of the trio had his own thing to do and their paths never crossed. Terra had the Darkness, Ven had his past, and Aqua had her duties, which sadly can also 'excuse' a great part of her concern towards Terra and Ven.
I'm not saying she doesn't care, just that they didn't show enough beyond the mandatory duties to make it believable.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
1. What do you mean by Vanitas giving Ven reason to doubt Terra? I don't entirely understand what you mean by that. If you mean the meeting in Ven's room, I feel Aqua was also justified in doubting Terra because Eraqus was giving her doubts. Also, I think Terra still might have ended up pushing them away much like Riku did in KH2 out of shame for his Darkness. I always felt like Terra thought he was more trying to do what was best for him and his friends rather than try to get revenge on Aqua for what she said.

2. Agreed. But I think if Eraqus hadn't pushed Aqua's hand, and if Terra hadn't begun acting weird-ish (that one scene is called “An Eerie Farewell”) she wouldn't have done what she did. As fate would have it, that was Aqua's fatal flaw. I really wish Aqua had been told that Terra attacked Snow White, too. But I always imagined that did happen and we just didn't see the "scene".

3. I think Aqua was just trying to give them their space and defeat the Unversed at that point. It's kind of what Ven and Terra were doing, but Aqua seemed to be the only one intent on keeping their friendships in tact. I really don't understand Ven's actions though. Why would he try to make new friends especially when he and Terra were pretty much okay?

4. I think he still might have. In watching the flashbacks, Terra and Aqua seemed to be rivals much the same way Sora and Riku were. I think if events would have played out differently, Terra's jealousy of Aqua and Xehanort's words may have been enough to pull him into the Darkness.

5. Sorry. I was a bit to vague when I said that. What I mainly meant was that if Ven had thought before confronting Eraqus, things wouldn't have gone down hill as much. Eraqus wouldn't have tried to kill Ven, Terra wouldn't have killed the Master... and I think if Terra hadn't gone to the Keyblade Graveyard to avenge Eraqus, his Darkness wouldn't have been enough for Xehanort to want to possess him yet. If Ven hadn't confronted Eraqus they might have been able to think about their options and come out with a better ending.

6. I often wonder though if what Aqua said is exactly translated right. On one hand she's saying, "I've been to the same worlds you and I've seen what you've done." This sounds like, as you said, she is pretty much calling Terra a monster. But then she says, "You shouldn't put yourself so close to the darkness." I think that's really what she meant. I think she was warning him to stay away from the darkness. About Ven... I think it was more of that he was still a kid in a lot of ways and didn't know how to react accordingly.

7. Ignoring the fact that I think Kairi will be more central eventually; you can't deny there's a parallel between Kairi, Xion, and Aqua. To me they're the girls that are pure Light (maybe not Xion) that the game creators really don't know what to do with. Not to sound like a yaoi fangirl (I'm anything but that), but in most scenes they do seem to get in the way of what's going on with the guy friends, and they also cause conflict between them, too. In that, I think they would have always designed Aqua to be the wedge between Ven and Terra.

8. I also blame BbS's tragedy on some of Terra's naïve actions, and Ven's sudden desire for suicide (well, maybe not that one but it is kind of odd to me). Maybe I'm different, but I don't really think you should blame characters for something that the writers decided on. Also, there'd be no game if that didn't happen so I'm kind of glad Aqua did act out. LOL If Eraqus wouldn't have been prejudiced against the Darkness and would have made Terra a Master, we would have been fine too. But yes, if Aqua wasn't under the pressure, I think the story could have gone better. Personally, making Aqua a Master and not Terra was really cruel to me. Bad move, Eraqus. Especially since Terra was like a son to him! I think we know where Aqua's Bi-Polar attitude comes from.

9. Actually, the Days trio's my favorite. But once again, I don't think we can blame Aqua for her actions in those flashbacks. I really don't think Square knew what to do with her. She wasn't as central with what's going on (isn't it amazing she became so important when the "evil plan" didn't consist of her?). And I think her line in the "Wooden Keyblade" scene is more cheeky than snide. It's no worse than Kairi saying Sora's a lazy bum or "completely hopeless without us". Also Xion made fun of Axel's catchphrase, so...

I do agree that the trio could have been a lot better. I've never argued that. But I do think there's more substance between them than Sora/Riku/Kairi. We never even see Kairi anymore! Re: Coded was a joke in that she wasn't in it. There wasn't a version of her in the Journal's memories of the Islands. And there should have been a Data Kairi! Nomura said there couldn't be a Data Sora without a Data Roxas because they make up one existence. So why was there a Data Naminé and no Data Kairi? They barely even mention her in the game! Rant over.

Anyway, I hope you read this post and realize I'm in no way arguing are being disrespectful. That's not my intent at all. I'm just trying to showcase different sides. I've actually enjoyed talking to you, Smile. It's given me a lot to think about. Thank you.

-Shanna

Last edited:
i choose AXEL, ROXAS, AND XION
i really liked these three there was so much drama and i felt really bad for them.. i didnt choose terra aqua and ven because they are kinda new to the kh world so i havent gotten use to them yet

Smile

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
1. What do you mean by Vanitas giving Ven reason to doubt Terra? I don't entirely understand what you mean by that. If you mean the meeting in Ven's room,

That's exactly what I meant. And it actually helps further show the difference in Ven and Aqua's approaches - Ven seems more to lean towards concern, whereas Aqua, if only because of her duties if not for other reasons as well, turns to doubt and blame, and this is the problem here. Regardless, I still feel like Ven's the one who was given more basis to doubt Terra, while Aqua feels off with her confident grin and being 'reassured' when she met Terra in Castle of Dreams.

...aaah, it's hard replying to your post since I've no idea what you connected you reply to xD;

I really don't understand Ven's actions though. Why would he try to make new friends especially when he and Terra were pretty much okay?

Terra still didn't let him come along, and Aqua basically chewed him out. Think about it this way, also - Terra just told him to watch his back but Aqua showed the outmost lack of confidence in him and his abilities. It's not until the Coliseum where he became confident enough to think he might be of help to his former friends and went after them again.

I think if events would have played out differently, Terra's jealousy of Aqua and Xehanort's words may have been enough to pull him into the Darkness.

IF things would've played out differently, I agree. Then they most likely would've also given Terra's jealousy issues more focus, as instead of leaving them as arguably part of why Terra was hurt quite as badly by Aqua.

What I mainly meant was that if Ven had thought before confronting Eraqus, things wouldn't have gone down hill as much. Eraqus wouldn't have tried to kill Ven, Terra wouldn't have killed the Master... and I think if Terra hadn't gone to the Keyblade Graveyard to avenge Eraqus, his Darkness wouldn't have been enough for Xehanort to want to possess him yet. If Ven hadn't confronted Eraqus they might have been able to think about their options and come out with a better ending.

In other words -
If Birth by Sleep never happened. Though I do agree with a point you raised that Eraqus also had a lot to do with this, as his Darkness-issues had a great deal to do with Aqua and Terra's conflicts.

In that, I think they would have always designed Aqua to be the wedge between Ven and Terra.

If that's the case, then with Aqua, they kind of failed. The plot is what divides the two, and Aqua's just hopelessly chasing the two of them. She's what Kairi might've became had she been more active in the past games.

I also blame BbS's tragedy on some of Terra's naïve actions, and Ven's sudden desire for suicide (well, maybe not that one but it is kind of odd to me).

Granted. I can only hope I showed how everyone in TAV had to do with the tear-up. The trio as a whole was doomed to fall, but as Aqua, imo, has the plot role of chasing Terra and Ven, it's easier to see why her role in the mess would be a lot more 'personal'. This is also her conflict, as opposed to Terra and Ven who battle the Darkness, in one form or another.

But once again, I don't think we can blame Aqua for her actions in those flashbacks.

And I'm not. I'm only mourning there not being more positive. It only hurt that much for me with RAX because they were given the chance to grow on me. TAV weren't.

(isn't it amazing she became so important when the "evil plan" didn't consist of her?

It did - she was X-Blade material candidate. Also, I think Xehanort knew she'd play a role, from the very same reason why she was X-Blade material candidate. Once Terra began tumbling down towards the Darkness, chances were good Aqua'd react in a manner that fit Eraqus's prized pupil.

It's no worse than Kairi saying Sora's a lazy bum or "completely hopeless without us". Also Xion made fun of Axel's catchphrase, so...

The main difference is that those were 'on the fly' interactions, rather than a statement in a flashback that had a given point to it. I would've preferred Aqua getting her own flashbacks instead.

But I do think there's more substance between them than Sora/Riku/Kairi.

Wait for the next editorial, Poppet. We can debate over this then X3 don't get ahead of this.

So why was there a Data Naminé and no Data Kairi? They barely even mention her in the game! Rant over.

Just to bother with this, I think it's because it wasn't quite the same. Sora was there, therefore his Nobody was. However, Naminé was the one who was there first. The original one put the message there, and that created all the bugs. Think of it more that much like Sora's Heartless, Roxas up and changed his given role within the Journal, taking it on himself to guide D-Sora through Castle Oblivion. That means that what's in Castle Oblivion is special, as can be seen with how they even gained access to that area of the Memory. So Namine, being the origin of the whole mess, can be there without her 'Somebody'

And now for the short version.
Naminé came from Sora. If the Heartless and Nobody who were formed from him were there, there is zero reason for Naminé not to be.

Anyway, I hope you read this post and realize I'm in no way arguing are being disrespectful. That's not my intent at all. I'm just trying to showcase different sides. I've actually enjoyed talking to you, Smile. It's given me a lot to think about. Thank you.

You're welcome, and I'm enjoying this too :3 the whole point of this editorial was this, in fact - get people pondering KH in the meanwhile, and to stir debates.

Maxyli138

As much as I love Terra, Aqua, and Ven as individual characters, I'm not a fan of the trio. Similar to Sora and Kairi, the friends continually think about each other throughout the game. Then when they actually meet each other, it seems awkward.
Some parts make it seem like the trio is more of a quarreling family instead of close friends. Especially when they all meet in Radiant Garden. Ven giving Terra and Aqua Disney Town passes and saying he could take two grown ups was cute, but sounded extremely childish. Then Aqua and Terra baby Ven by telling him to go home because it was "too dangerous" made them sound like worried parents. And Aqua talking to, almost scolding, Terra was just too much. Terra's feelings of being misunderstood and wanting to be alone didn't help much either.
Ven considers Terra as an older brother, but not as equal friends. Terra > Ven seemed to be how their friendship worked. Then Aqua becoming a Keyblade Master put her on top of both of them. Aqua > Terra > Ven. Not really a balanced friendship.

localorange

Oh debates, how I love thee. And I tend to feel more comfortable doing them on forum, lol. I can think about what I'm saying much easier as opposed to parliamentary style ones.

The last bunch of posts have made me realize something I've kind of been denying for awhile but I can't really any longer; TAV isn't the best example of a "trio." Now I wish I didn't vote in the polls, lol. Oh well. That means I'm just going to hold out until I see what Kairi's role is going to be in the future.

As much as I love TAV, people have made a lot of fantastic points. TAV aren't really the best example of a trio of friends at work; it's more that they're an example of a trio falling apart. It's really tragic - but I still love the dynamics they have.

Agreed. But I think if Eraqus hadn't pushed Aqua's hand, and if Terra hadn't begun acting weird-ish (that one scene is called “An Eerie Farewell”) she wouldn't have done what she did. As fate would have it, that was Aqua's fatal flaw. I really wish Aqua had been told that Terra attacked Snow White, too. But I always imagined that did happen and we just didn't see the "scene".

1) I feel the real source of the entire tragedy of BBS is Master Eraqus's teachings. There was someone who posted a wonderful, wonderful character analysis of Terra in his fanclub thread that brought up a really good point. (Ikkin, I think?) Terra is an inherently good person. But Master Eraqus's teachings and his teaching style don't really suit him. Terra is far more sensitive than anyone in the game realizes, and far more sensitive than he probably wants to be. He can't quite live up to Eraqus's expectations in the same way Aqua can.

With Aqua, it's the exact opposite. But Master Eraqus's teachings are very absolute, (and not quite correct, as KH2 and the Fairygodmother in Castle of Dreams very subtly said). and Aqua has placed them on a pedestal and let them shine in her mind. Then she made the mistake of being a master over a friend - and in my opinion, Eraqus's mouthpiece over being a good friend to Terra.

2) Er - Terra never attacked Snow White.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

But yes, if Aqua wasn't under the pressure, I think the story could have gone better. Personally, making Aqua a Master and not Terra was really cruel to me. Bad move, Eraqus. Especially since Terra was like a son to him! I think we know where Aqua's Bi-Polar attitude comes from.
Aqua's idealization of Eraqus's flawed teachings played a part in driving Terra towards the darkness. I like Aqua because I feel she is quite subtly flawed. It's going to be incredibly interesting to see how she treats light and darkness when we see her again in the following games. If she does what I think she's going to do and continue to see light and darkness in the extremes, she's going to be coming into conflict with Riku at one point or another.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

FriendsArePower

Some of you guys are being way to easy on Aqua. You have to remember how bad things got with Riku Sora never gave up I dont even remember him dougting Riku once. Maybe if Aqua acted alittle more open minded she would have been able to unite her trio like Sora did.

metrifyx

I completely agree with localorange's last post.

I feel like Eraqus loved them and the light so much that he a tried to give them this perfect life that was completely unrealistic outside of their little world. When they were thrust out of their safe haven and into the rest of the universe, they were somewhat unaware of all of the evils of it and were easily deceived. The three of them seemed really codependent and when they were on their own they weren't quite sure what to think themselves, especially when so many people were telling them different things. When they met up in Radiant Garden and clashed opinions, they didn't really know what to do now that they weren't on the same page about anything, really. This is most likely why Terra was so attached to MX and why Ven was so desperate for friends: they needed someone to rely on after being told what to do so much. It's a scary thing to realize that you barely even know the only people in the universe who you know and depend on, and I think that's why I like TAV the best.

In addition, they were set up to fail by their own mentor. It kind of reminds me of Romeo and Juliet. There was too much hatred between the houses, just like Light and Darkness, which was caused by the houses' elders. And just like it did with Eraqus, it took death for them to realize their foolish ways. They really loved their children, but by trying to do what was best for them, they actually caused their downfall.

Also, there was much deception between TAV, Eraqus, and MX. MX actually played on these emotions. He knew that TAV's relationship being their power was also their weakness. He planned everything from the beginning and exploited everyone's hopes, fears, weaknesses, and emotions in order to get exactly what he wanted. TAV were like toy soldiers; Eraqus set them up, and MX knocked them down. At the end of the day, they were basically tools and fools, and that saddens me greatly because they were so sweet and innocent. But they were living a dream, and now that they've woken up, nothing can really compare.

Anyway, fantastic editorial, Smile! It offered a new perspective to me, and it really made me think. I can't wait for the third installment. :)

Last edited:

Moonlight Aqua

~Living in a dream~
Awards
She brought a lot of it on herself and I truly do think that had she not been made Master, things would've been better. About the only thing I really do feel like blaming her, or rather, the story-telling, is how little she was given to go on before Radiant Garden.

I believe that too. I feel that the there are some things in the story that doesn't make sense, and how some of the characters didn't have anything to go forward with. Terra and Ven seemed to have more of a story line than Aqua did. Same with Kairi. Like someone said, "Too Anti-KH Girl" but in the games instead.

But it only adds up to the feeling that each member of the trio had his own thing to do and their paths never crossed. Terra had the Darkness, Ven had his past, and Aqua had her duties, which sadly can also 'excuse' a great part of her concern towards Terra and Ven.
I'm not saying she doesn't care, just that they didn't show enough beyond the mandatory duties to make it believable.

I feel the only reason the characters are like that is that, when they made the game, they wanted to make it as fast as they could to make the fans happy. Like it has reduced the time frame between games, just to make us happy. If I remembered it took like 4 years for them to make KH2.

Oh debates, how I love thee. And I tend to feel more comfortable doing them on forum, lol. I can think about what I'm saying much easier as opposed to parliamentary style ones.

The last bunch of posts have made me realize something I've kind of been denying for awhile but I can't really any longer; TAV isn't the best example of a "trio." Now I wish I didn't vote in the polls, lol. Oh well. That means I'm just going to hold out until I see what Kairi's role is going to be in the future.

As much as I love TAV, people have made a lot of fantastic points. TAV aren't really the best example of a trio of friends at work; it's more that they're an example of a trio falling apart. It's really tragic - but I still love the dynamics they have.

1) I feel the real source of the entire tragedy of BBS is Master Eraqus's teachings. There was someone who posted a wonderful, wonderful character analysis of Terra in his fanclub thread that brought up a really good point. (Ikkin, I think?) Terra is an inherently good person. But Master Eraqus's teachings and his teaching style don't really suit him. Terra is far more sensitive than anyone in the game realizes, and far more sensitive than he probably wants to be. He can't quite live up to Eraqus's expectations in the same way Aqua can.

With Aqua, it's the exact opposite. But Master Eraqus's teachings are very absolute, (and not quite correct, as KH2 and the Fairygodmother in Castle of Dreams very subtly said). and Aqua has placed them on a pedestal and let them shine in her mind. Then she made the mistake of being a master over a friend - and in my opinion, Eraqus's mouthpiece over being a good friend to Terra.

2) Er - Terra never attacked Snow White.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Aqua's idealization of Eraqus's flawed teachings played a part in driving Terra towards the darkness. I like Aqua because I feel she is quite subtly flawed. It's going to be incredibly interesting to see how she treats light and darkness when we see her again in the following games. If she does what I think she's going to do and continue to see light and darkness in the extremes, she's going to be coming into conflict with Riku at one point or another.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Everything that you wrote... I agree completely. I also like Aqua because of her flaws. Not to be disrespectful to SRK, but I been exposed to too much Light from those three, I needed a bit of a tragic story.

Now for my official answer...

I pick Sora, Riku and Kairi. The reason why is because they seem to be the only trio in the whole series to have their friendship in tact, after so much obstacles. That, I admire them for.

I do like VTA and RAZ too, but they're stories is completely tragic. All their friendships break up, but because of outside influences and their doubts of themselves.

SRK seem to have completely broken their negative thoughts that they once had and went on with their lives. They grown up a lot, if you think about. That's another reason why I like them too, they had the most character growth in the game.s (Mainly because they are the main charcters, duh. xD)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back