• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Kingdom Hearts Trios - Editorial

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Which trio is your favorite? Tell us why!

• Terra, Aqua, Ventus

Votes: 40 32.0%
  • Roxas, Axel, Xion

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Sora, Riku, Kairi

Votes: 42 33.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smile

Codename: D
Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Greetings, fellow fans!

As you may have noticed, sadly, there hasn't been much going on in the KH scene. Worry not, though, as we shall not abandon you in your time of need. The staff is always hard at work to give you a good read, and thus, we are proud to present you with an editorial piece, written by yours truly.
Due to its length, the entry will be cut into three parts, giving you also enough time to enjoy each one.

The topic of choice is The trios in the Kingdom Hearts universe.

editorial-days.png

A trio overall is an efficient, strong group structure that's easy to come by in stories of all mediums. It gives advantages in many areas, such as the conceptual level – it breaks apart from the couple's black-and-white, without spreading to the bigger groups' rainbows. A similar advantage is seen when dealing with inter-character relationships and personal developments. We have more material than with a pair, but without the risk of losing focus on any character or relationship. There is also no risk of splitting into smaller groups, as happens too often with larger groups.

By this point in time, I dare say that Kingdom Hearts is all but infamous for its abundant usage of the trio structure. Most characters are part of at least one trio in some way, be they a minor trio, a Disney trio, or even a villain trio. Of course, quite a few trios are the story's main focus in the series.

But is it a good thing? Is this really what the Kingdom Hearts series needs? Or rather – has it fared well, using this format? We'll keep that question in mind as we review three of the series' top trios, starting from the one ranking lowest in visible plot importance, and we'll climb up from there.

The first trio hails from 358/2 Days, even though most of the fandom knew them first as a duo. Not too many were shocked when they too received a third member, a girl no less, and so we got the Organization's trio, consisting of Roxas, Axel and Xion.

Days22.png

When the trio got together, not many characters gave it a chance. Thought to be all regular Nobodies, they were beings without Hearts and without emotions. Therefore, friendships were to be fleeting illusions at best.
Despite this, I grew rather fond of them.

The first reason is obvious. Quite a great part of the game was spent with them sitting in Twilight Town, having ice cream, and talking about nothing at all. They did that for months – meet after work, have ice cream, waste time together. There's no over-dramatizing anything, no relying on plot events to establish relationships, no throwing statements into the air. What you see is what you get, and it's only natural they ended up as best friends.

Another strong point is that they work well even in duos.

One obvious case is Roxas and Axel. The two's friendship was so strong it moved a great part of Kingdom Hearts 2. Axel cared quite surprisingly for someone he was ordered to get close to to the point he was willing to sacrifice himself for Roxas, and I dare say that when Roxas found out Axel wasn't dead, it was one of the sweetest moments in the series.

Another obvious case is Roxas and Xion. While awkward around each other at first, once Xion became her own person she and Roxas made fast friends. Even if it means bringing sea-shells to each other, they freely show their concern for the other's well-being. Xion was a great part of why Roxas left the Organization, and it was for Roxas that Xion finally decided to return to Sora – for Roxas's own sake.

The surprise came with Axel and Xion. At first it was like they were both there for Roxas, but we were quickly shown a different picture. Even with Roxas gone the two spent time together, eventually making Axel unable to choose between his friends, even when giving Xion up meant saving Roxas – he simply couldn't bear parting with her. Xion on her part always keeps Axel in mind, never once neglecting to mention him in her list of people she cares for.

As far as their falling-apart goes, I'm also satisfied due to the simple fact – everyone are to blame. Xion took it all on herself, never giving the others a chance to help and maybe make a difference. With all due respect to Axel's good intentions, he was still constantly caught lying, which eventually made him untrustworthy to Roxas. And Roxas, more than not trusting Axel, simply chose not to listen to things even Xemnas confirmed time and again. It became so absurd that Axel's to blame when he stops Xion from attacking Roxas.

If I had to name a flaw – it would be Roxas's obsession with Xion and how it affects his treatment of Axel. They tried fixing it in his fight with Riku when he said he wanted both Xion and Axel back, but I thought no one was supposed to miss you, kid.

I'd say 8.5 for the landing.

~♥~​

That's it for this trio. If you want to know what I thought about the Keyblade Wielding Trio, Terra, Aqua and Ven, you're more than welcome to go here for the next part of this editorial!
In the meanwhile, feel free to let us know what you think~

Monkey

dick to a lot of people
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I voted for Sora, Riku, and Kairi, mainly because they have a special place in my childhood.

Awesome write up. I agree that the mystery and fascination of Roxas with Xion spoiled an otherwise good trio. But I was one of those people that always thought Xion was handled poorly.

Can't wait to read the next one.

Smile

Codename: D
Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Awesome write up. I agree that the mystery and fascination of Roxas with Xion spoiled an otherwise good trio. But I was one of those people that always thought Xion was handled poorly.

I actually think that's more of Roxas's own poor handling. Xion herself was alright in my book, getting plot and insight and depth. But it's Roxas that lacked essence, getting solo clock-tower sessions instead. I actually consider Luxord and Demyx to have gotten more attention, when put in their own secondary-character scales.
I also blame a lot of this on them having Deep Dive and the whole "no one'd miss me scenes" waiting for them at the end of the year. Roxas and Axel were BFFs, so they had to find some way to get Roxas from being a happy camper to dramatically leave the Organization.

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
Some comments from FB:

Pretty interesting and I agree so far! Glad you did something to fill in the no KH news gap!
RAX is my favourite Kingdom Hearts trio :)

Awaiting the next segments. :]

Last edited:

TotemoOishii

This makes me want to play Days again. I love this idea for an editorial and it was a very good read. I had never thought in depth of what led them to splitting up but your take on it sounds very true. I am with you in liking that they are all to blame for the fallout. They may have been the heroes of the game, but every character has their flaws.

ICECOOL113

Beautiful simply awesome work!

I really love Roxas, Axel, and Xion because of the fact they made themselves be so real in their friendship even though they don't really exist because they are nobodies and how in ReCoded
SPOILER
(Sora sees a glimpse of that friendship).

I really hope in the end all the friendships in Kingdom Hearts are rejoined together :)

Ven1028

this is awesome! i enjoyed days as surprising as it sounds and i really liked this trio. the fact that you actually saw them together throughout the game made their relationship more real than that of sora riku and kairi or terra aqua and ven. I think sora riku and kairi are an amazing trio as well as terra aqua and ven, but they were all separated throughout most of their story.

roxas axel and xion had a relationship with each other that grew and became stronger right in front of you while the others weren't. i loved how we were introduced to them before they were a trio, it just made me feel like i understood their relationship better. sora riku and kairi already know each other when we meet them, same with terra aqua and ven. im not saying roxas axel and xion are my favorite trio but i love how they were introduced and how their friendship evolved.

The_KH_Gossip

I've been noticing this theme to and all I can say is:
Ever hear of the Britney Spears song 3?
:3
if not youtube it and tell me if you don't agree XD

Also! I voted Xion, Axel, Roxas! There is just something that was so sweet about that trio! Although the other two trios are really good too :3

Last edited by a moderator:

Twilightheaven

Twilight Warrior of the Stars
Awards
As much as i liked the original trio(sora,riku,kairi), i chose the 358/2 days trio because to me it deals with friends while on the work field.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
Yes! I am so glad this forum has been created. Oddly enough, I Cosplayed as Xion for an anime convention yesterday, but that's not important. I recently replayed Days (mostly in one night because I'm crazy) because I accidentally deleted the file where I cleared the game. Anyway, seeing all of those events again has made me decide that they're my favorite trio. Though I love Sora, Riku, and Kairi, I'm irritated that Kairi never does anything, and that we never really see them together. Seriously. I'm so disappointed BbS didn't use the opportunity to show how Kairi arrived on the islands.

BbS tried to expand on the trio's past and your love for them, but while I love Ven, Terra, and Aqua, I can't help but feel they dug their own grave in away.

So here we are. Roxas, Axel, and Xion are my favorite trio and it's not hard to see why. Most of the game was about seeing them become friends, and learning what that all entailed. They had a ton of time together, and though I wish we saw them in other places than the Clock Tower, I loved them more and more with each mission's ending. I think the growth of their relationship, like Ven1028 said, is why the trio is so memorable. You really got to experience what the characters were going through.

And may I just say that I loved Axel for being different from Riku and Terra. Though he was meant to fill up that spot, I'm glad that we never really saw him have trouble with his Darkness. Axel was more of the rogue character, and the way he wrestled with his decisions was quite similar to how the player wrestled with what was happening.

To me, Roxas, Axel, and Xion's story is the most tragic. Mainly because despite everything that went down, they still tried to make amends and be there for each other. However, no matter what they did, this story was destined for tragedy from the beginning. The other trio's different decisions could have saved them, but Roxas and Xion would have never been able to stop absorbing each other's strength, for example. Yes, this story is very tragic. Made even more so by the fact that Roxas and Xion really were like little kids. I know most people scoff at the, "Who else will I have ice cream with?" line, but to me it was an accumulation of all Days was. They'd come so far, but were still at where they’d started. The only thing that can make it more tragic is how Xion's best friends forget her (and you thought you had it bad, Naminé!).

Actually, on second thought, I think that Roxas being one of the last to hold onto Xion's memory is even sadder. All he wants to do is get his life back; he wants to bring Xion back. And of course, he's trying to honor the last wish of the girl he doesn't remember the name of. He's trying to set the hearts in Kingdom Hearts free. I don't know, the ending to Days really gets to me more than any other KH game. I just feel so bad for those young— young in more than one way—people.

And isn't it true that Nomura wrote the lines in Days? Maybe that has something to do with it, too. It's just so interesting that a story so innocent ended up the way it did. I really hope they all get revived in KH3.

Well, I look forward to your next trio section. I imagine you'll talk about Mickey/Donald/Goofy, and Sora/Donald/Goofy (obviously you’ll talk about Sora/Riku/Kairi, and Ven/Terra/Aqua will be talked about next time). But what about Hayner/Pence/Olette, Selphie/Tidus/Wakka, Leon/Yuffie/Aerith (in KH1), Seifer/Rai/Fuu (I always felt like Vivi was never really considered one of them), and Yuna/Rikku/Paine?

You know, I just thought of something. Vanitas, the Riku Replica, and Naminé should form a trio! JK. But can't you somewhat see it? I wonder if something will be revealed about the trios of sky, land, and sea eventually. The similarities between Sora/Riku/Kairi, Roxas/Axel/Xion, and Ven/Terra/Aqua can't be coincidence, can it?

Last edited:

MisterGrieves

I like Roxas, Axel, Xion the most, followed by Terra, Aqua, Ventus and then Sora, Riku, Kairi. I don't really know why I put them in that order. I like all of them, I guess I just feel more emotionally attached to RAX. I thought it was the saddest story.

Maxyli138

My favorite trio would be Roxas, Axel, and Xion because it's a friendship that you watch grow. Axel and Roxas started out as a mentor-student relationship type that grew in a deep, caring friendship. Then Roxas' interaction with Xion lead to them becoming friends, and later connecting Axel to Xion, thus making a trio. Continuing to play Days shows us the trio's rough spots and warm moments. With SRK and TAV, we don't really see how their friendships evolve over time, just that they are really good friends. Although at some points in Days, I found the Axel-Xion relationship extremely weak while the Roxas-Xion relationship was dominating. Reading Roxas' Diary and the Secret Reports helped me a lot in understanding how the characters really felt about themselves and each other.

Anyway very interesting editorial Smile. It made me think a lot about the KH characters' relationships with each other. I'm looking forward to the next one.

Dr_Mario64

Although I voted for tav, my favorite trio is one that isn't listed and that I feel is being extremely neglected: Sora, Donald, and Goofy. I know it's a bit cliched, but hear me out. When I first saw them together it was strange. Here we are left with three friends who have virtually nothing in common--(they're not even the same species)--and yet somehow formed an alliance with one another. Even Donald and Goofy who have known each other for years feel like they're polar opposites when we're first introduced into them. Donald, being slow to trust and quick to temper could have easily killed the relationship even before they entered the first world. Sora, who obviously had different plans, didn't help the conflict either. And as for Goofy, well y'know... It was at that point that I nearly said to myself, "they're never going to get along". It didn't take long for me to figure out just how wrong I really was. When they finally reached the Keyhole, Sora and Donald finally made up and it was a beautiful sight. And, trust me, that was only the tip of the iceberg. Despite recieving direct orders to "follow the key" after it shifted to Riku's posession, Donald and Goofy realized that there was more to Sora than just their mission. They realized that Sora was their friend and had no right to abandon him. They stood up for him and that ultimately returned the mastery of the Keyblade to Sora. Their friendship has held true throughout the trials of Castle Oblivion all the way to the question of Soras heart to the defeat of Xemnas and beyond. If that ain't friendship I don't know what is!

Ven1028

Dr_Mario64 I agree with you completely. I did think about the trio of Sora Donald and Goofy but I didn't say anything because I was just replying to the topic at hand which was Roxas Axel and Xion. I love the SDG trio and think it is very unique. They have a sort of chemistry, and I also like it because it is another trio that you get to see grow, obviously, and it gives you that personal connection to the trio.

S/R/K

I picked The "Original" Trio. Sora/Riku/Kairi.
Mostly because the three of them worked better together than either of the other two main trios. (Of course there are other interconnected trios: Axel/Namine/Riku - Axel/Roxas/Namine - Donald/Goofy/Mickey - Donald/Goofy/Data Sora)
Terra focused too much on his own Master status and let his flawed teachings by Eraqus to screw with his confidence, which Xehanort promptly took advantage of. While Aqua tried fixing things, still managed to cause some splintering in the trio by allowing her desire to prove herself to Eraqus to cause her to put her foot in her mouth. Ventus.... well, we all know how he played into things. :p

Thanks to the wonderful article provided here (SMILE!!) we all know Axel's faults (pants on fire), Roxas's (the sap that he is...) and Xion (why couldn't she have just shared her dreams with Roxas? WHY?!)

S/R/K on the other hand, rarely let squabbles and lying come between them. Sure, Sora and Riku fought over Kairi's affections (those kids...) and Riku fought Sora after being influence by EVUL. But even so, Riku still tried getting Sora to fight ALONGSIDE him to Save their third piece of the triangle: Kairi. Who helped bring them together in KH2, since Riku tried taking and keeping a whole lot of responsibilities for himself to protect/help the others. Still, they have probably the most flowing chemistry. (I'm crossing my fingers that Kh3 allows Kairi to fight alongside her boys and be more Battle-useful. :p

Shinra

Banned
Awards
I chose Roxas, Axel, and Xion mostly because I was in a more literary state of mind, and to me, the Character development made all the difference... And Although I didn't play days, I have seen why the story is the way it is. I also chose RAX mostly because of how the trio was unique in it's own sense. SRK and TAV were tenaciously generic with each other but RAX had the closest degree of friendship I've seen to be ideal for all the trios. Although it didn't end well. I still hold RAX above the others. Mostly because BBS and KH1 were WAY TOO SIMILAR STORY-WISE.

localorange

I chose TAV on the strict grounds that I feel we have yet to see the true potential of SRK. So to me, TAV is the next best option. The dynamics of SRK were barely - if at all - touched upon in KH1, and I can't remember seeing it anywhere else. I'd say KH2 as well at the very end, but there really wasn't any Kairi-Riku interaction, which bugged me in the context of them being a trio.

This will change if Kairi becomes more than a cute/spunky damsel in distress and actually has a chance to prove herself/travel with Sora and Riku. Which she better. Since Nomura and co seem to prefer to highlight her role as a PoH, I want to see her PoH powers become more tangible and magic oriented enough that she gets a neat little staff of her own to fight with, and her keyblade becomes her second weapon of choice. Then I want to see her interact and banter with Sora and Riku at the same time, and oh my goodness, the list is endless.

You really can't tell how a trio works until you put them in the same room. TAV was good, except for the fact I felt like I was watching a trio falling apart because of their own character faults and MX's a**hat machinations. But we have yet to see the true potential of SRK - therefore, TAV is pretty much second best and voteable for me...despite the fact I felt like I was watching the trio falling apart. It's strange, but that's how my brain is working at the moment.

UmbraTsuki

Awards
Omg, Smile, you made my day when I saw this ;w;. I wish I'd seen it yesterday ><". But I thank you for this so much!

My favorite trio is the AkuRokuShi trio, as most people who know me are aware of =w=. They have such a beautiful relationship. Their game was what brought me into the series because I became so interested. They're just... so amazing ;w;. I love each individual character, and I think that they (and their relationships) are easy to relate to.

I'm sure that I don't know enough about TAV, however. I never...got around to finishing Birth By Sleep..

But in any case, RAX is my favorite <3.

Thank you again for this article.. It made me happy to see X3. Looking forward to the next ones, too~
~Umbra~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back