• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Kingdom Hearts Trios - Editorial

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Which trio is your favorite? Tell us why!

• Terra, Aqua, Ventus

Votes: 40 32.0%
  • Roxas, Axel, Xion

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Sora, Riku, Kairi

Votes: 42 33.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MisuzuKamio

I feel that your analysis of the Days trio was rather well balanced and I enjoyed reading it. However, I have to disagree with many points of your BBS piece.

I feel that you didn't do the characters as much justice, and I analyze their emotions and interactions very differently.

For starters, at the beginning of the game (and with other flashback scenes as supplements) it is . clear that Ven and Terra ARE the closer of the three. Terra is almost like his mentor and role-model. I always caught the drift that Terra and Aqua had a very sibling relationship with Ven in that she was his big sister, he was the big brother. And you are right, Aqua DOES point out that the other two have a close relationship. She even reveals a little of her jealousy at that fact in her journey through the Coliseum, saying how envious how close relationship between boys can be. However, I think for the most part you are downsizing Aqua's feelings about everything and everyone's feelings about her. She has extremely high confidence in Terra at the start of the game, and is clearly worried about him during the whole scene that Eraqus is telling her the "secrets of the Keyblade master" (she is completely unfocused).

While there were not nearly as many direct, obvious statements of "you are my best friend. I care about you" there are so many clear signs present in the game about how deeply the three friends feel about each other. And, these feelings constantly shift and warp throughout the game.

You also complained of the trio's seemingly baffling ease of believing villains over years-old friends. I disagree with this. In Aqua's case, again, she did not instantly believe Maleficent, as you seemed to put it. She was confused and baffled by her statements but she still believed in her friend--she FOUGHT Maleficent, didn't she? More or less the continual statements of "Terra did this" and "Terra did that" just raised doubts, vs. losing all faith in her friend. I believe that her "confrontation" of Terra at Radiant Gardens was less of a "you are being evil" than "could you please explain what has been happening? I am worried about you." However, Terra, being a bit touchy with that at the moment, reacted to her statement badly, thinking she was judging him (How would you feel if you had say, applied to the same college as your friend but they got accepted and not you, and then for the next year before applying again you spent your time doing some part-time jobs but your friend was constantly following you around making sure that what you were doing would look good on your next application. It would be unmistakably frustrating, even if that friend really just had good intentions at heart.) Ven, who is a bit younger and, again, who looks up to Terra like a role model instantly throws out any bad rumors against Terra is blatant lies (something that, if you forget AQUA told him to do.) is shocked at the thought that Aqua has any doubts about him and attacks her.
Really, I see Aqua as the victim in that entire exchange because of her constant being torn with what her Master's wishes were, and her FRIENDSHIP, which clearly was hurting her at the obvious length she stood there looking sadly at the way they had both run off.

As far as Ven goes with your "rejected puppy" statement, at first I also had trouble understanding his logic in his sudden journey to find "new friends" but after thinking further I realized that his situation is actually very understandable. He felt rejected that neither of his friends listened to him, which probably was very depressing for someone like him who really only had his friends (since his past was a huge ??? at the time). When you fall into a depressed state like that you kind of lose the logic function for a lot of things, and it took a while but eventually Ven snapped back into it and realized how silly he was being. It was also a sign that he was growing up, and moving past being childishly peeved at being told off by his "big sister" and "big brother".

Again, all three of them had clear signs of trust and faith in each other at the start of the game. What isn't spoken in actual dialogue is more than made up for in numerous indirect gestures. You said you didn't need a whole slew of "ice cream scenes" to prove a friendship, but you haven't seemed able to pick up on the hints that there WERE these scenes, we just weren't witnesses to them.
All three friends have their own insecurities of their relationships, which comes to a clash at Radiant Gardens, and then each of them reflects on it, rectifies it (or at least makes an attempt to) and in the end all three meet again with much stronger ties than they had at even the beginning.
I wont get into all of them, it isn't necessary.

BBS is NOT a story about three close friends who fall apart. It is a story about three close friends who have a falling out because of a clash of their varying insecurities, but with their own inner reflection based off of their PAST EXPERIENCES mixed with new lessons taught along the way by the people they meet, they pull the pieces of their friendship together and strengthen it--but end up losing everything anyway because their luck just wasn't good enough (and apparently fate wasn't on their side). That is where the real tragedy of BBS lies.

To summarize, I believe you have wholly underestimated the relationships between the characters.

Terra + Ven: Clearly have a very strong relationship from start to finish. You have seen this too with the multitudes of flashbacks etc. No need to dwell on this.

Terra + Aqua: Very strong relationship that gets rocky, but their interaction and relationship I actually find the most intriguing. Aqua at first is very concerned with her friends' battle with the darkness, and gives way a little to doubt, but in the very end has extreme trust and dedication to protecting her friend and saving him. As an aside, I seriously question if you paid attention to the ending of the Secret Episode. Aqua's unwavering belief in Terra is firm and obvious, even to the point where she almost gets strangled to death because of it. That, and you know, the whole sacrificing herself for him thing-- no biggie. Terra's view on Aqua is a bit harder to read, but I feel like at the start of the game he resented her for being too close a monitor, probably feeling pestered and more than likely when he sees her he is reminded of his personal failure which is probably driving him crazy. However, in the end he admits to her "she was right" and realizes her overarching concern for him--not overarching distrust.

Aqua + Ven: Aqua at first treats him child-like, watching over him like an older sister. Ven doesn't seem to mind that at the beginning it seems, until he realizes that he is ready to break out of that bubble and gain independence. Again, as I mentioned earlier, he has a very clear phase of inner maturity after which he interacts with both Aqua and Terra differently. He no longer requires their "guardianship" and instead seeks out to protect them as well. He breaks through being completely frozen-solid to save Aqua, so obviously she isn't just "an odd addition...to raise the head count" for Ven. Aqua also even acknowledges Ven's new-found independence in the very start of the Secret Episode when she, in contrast to telling Ven where to go, listens to HIS decision of where HE wants to go. I found that to be a very touching moment because it reveals her understanding of his character and the new bond between them (If you recall I find this almost akin to the ending of Kh2 with Riku's "Sora, you lead" line). In the end, Aqua very clearly has a strong desire to save and protect her friends. The fact that she was going to guard Ven's body for all eternity if necessary. I am a little hurt that you summed up her interactions as just "bossing and yelling at everyone." She clearly cares very deeply for all of them throughout the entire game and I find her to be one of the most sincere characters with her feelings.

Last word: Yes, BBS has less direct character-to-character interaction but it really isn't necessary, frankly. You can pick up on so much emotional tension between all three of them without a direct scene, and I believe many if not all of their issues are entirely relateable. Heck, I related to almost all of them at multiple points during the game. Something huge WAS lost at the end of the game. The three of them had such a huge, gleaming potential for wonderful times together with a new, stronger friendship, but it was ripped away from them. There is huge contrast to the tragedy, you just have to look a little bit deeper to find it.

Please put more effort into your final review!! I feel that you made a lot of general statements that could easily be disproved by very specific scenes in the game so I am not sure where you are getting half of your ideas from. Again, while I enjoyed the Days one, this particular analysis of the BBS characters felt rushed and one-sided, like you had only really paid attention to Terra's point of view and almost completely ignored Aqua's feelings entirely.

(as one last aside, I realize my personal analysis on the "true feelings" of the characters is not, obviously, the solid truth since it is also just my opinion so please no body attack me because I read a character wrong 0_o...).

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
Wow. Thanks for agreeing with some of the points I made. Haha.

I know Terra didn't attack Snow White. LOL But when Snow White's telling her story the dwarves jump to that conclusion and Ven starts doubting Terra. I wish Aqua had told that, too. That way her doubts would have been a bit more founded.

I agree with everything you said. BbS is a beautiful game because you do see the characters grow and get past their misgivings; they grow into something stronger. I won't get into too much detail about what you said. But I think you're right about Aqua's feelings. Personally, I think she suffered the most in the game. The scene on Destiny Islands and her watching Ven and Terra leave is proof of this. It also sometimes seems Aqua had feelings for Terra which makes the entire thing even more tragic. Everything Aqua says about Terra is full of confidence and love. It's like what Aqua said about Eraqus, she didn't distrust Terra, but was worried about him. It's sad because she tried to do right by everyone, but it went so very wrong. Events that really had nothing to do with her directly ended up destroying her life. And yet through it all, they still have each other's backs. Shown very well by when Ven and Terra's Keyblades come and save Aqua.

Upon further analysis, I don't think Aqua was acting like a Master at all. I think she was acting like Eraqus' pupil. If she had accepted her role as Master, she wouldn't have necessarily even followed Eraqus' orders, and things could have been inevitably better. Instead she was blinded by her teacher's ways, and didn't try to see things for herself. It wasn't until after Eraqus had died, maybe even when just fighting Terranort, that she finally acknowledged herself as "Master Aqua" and that she realized she had to forge her own way. I also wonder if she didn't accept her role as Master because she felt she'd robbed Terra.

“Aqua also even acknowledges Ven's new-found independence in the very start of the Secret Episode when she, in contrast to telling Ven where to go, listens to HIS decision of where HE wants to go. I found that to be a very touching moment because it reveals her understanding of his character and the new bond between them (If you recall I find this almost akin to the ending of Kh2 with Riku's "Sora, you lead" line).”

I never thought of it like that, but it’s so true! And what a beautiful moment, indeed. I really love your anylisis of the characters and game, friend. Can’t wait to hear your opinion of Sora/Riku/Kairi.

Edit: I feel that we're forgetting the importance of the Wayfinders. Aqua created them for the trio and they've done a stand up job of keeping the trio united through thick and thin. Even when the trio were at odds, they'd look at the Wayfinder and realize how important their friends were. I think, if the BbSFM secret ending's anything to go by, the Wayfinders have/will play a key part in reuniting the trio. Makes me wish Kairi gives Sora her Lucky Charm, but makes one for herself and Riku, but that's a topic for next time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smile

Codename: D
Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Please put more effort into your final review!! I feel that you made a lot of general statements that could easily be disproved by very specific scenes in the game so I am not sure where you are getting half of your ideas from. Again, while I enjoyed the Days one, this particular analysis of the BBS characters felt rushed and one-sided, like you had only really paid attention to Terra's point of view and almost completely ignored Aqua's feelings entirely.

A great deal of this had to do, sadly, with the entry's overall length, and the fact that BBS had a lot more plot shoved into it as opposed to Days where there was a lot more time to dwell on their interactions and flesh out precisely what the characters were feeling and thinking.
To me, the BBS trio being, well, a trio, is what can be disproved easily by certain scenes and quite easily without attempting to nitpick at various events and scenes and as you yourself admitted - personal interpretations.
I never once denied that the three cared, merely stated that as far as the friendship's presentation was concerned, they did a rather poor job, especially when you have, in contrast, Roxas, Axel and Xion who showed us trios can be fleshed out to an obnoxious level. And seeing how, as opposed to, say, KH1, where the ending was bitter-sweet and hopeful, BBS was a complete tragedy. They could've put some more effort into not leaving anything for interpretation or assumptions. If there's a background, it should be showed.
In the first Final Mix, for instance, they added several precious seconds of Sora and Riku flashbacks. After what happened in the game where Sora and Riku constantly ran into one another, and Maleficent taunted Riku directly about Sora, that scene was already emotional enough to begin with, but they still added more upon it.
In BBS, they gave a far greater place for the plot and used that to also excuse a lot of the characters' actions.
You also brought up a lot of moments from the very end of the game, which to me, don't hold water. At that point they were basically everything they had left. It's part of why SRK are so easy to portrait as a trio for most of KH1 as well - the rest of their world went kapoot. But as opposed to SRK who received some flashbacks and kept running into each other, and further more - their plot developments involved one another, TAV are each busy with their own issues. Even Aqua's concern is 'excused' and thus downplayed by her role of True Master and the assignment handed to her by Eraqus.
There're just too many strings attached along the way for me to take seriously things that happened at the end, which is, again, my biggest issue with this trio. Having a very touching, epic scene at the end of the game means little of they didn't base it poorly, with all due respect to Aqua's sacrifice.

localorange

Upon further analysis, I don't think Aqua was acting like a Master at all. I think she was acting like Eraqus' pupil. If she had accepted her role as Master, she wouldn't have necessarily even followed Eraqus' orders, and things could have been inevitably better. Instead she was blinded by her teacher's ways, and didn't try to see things for herself. It wasn't until after Eraqus had died, maybe even when just fighting Terranort, that she finally acknowledged herself as "Master Aqua" and that she realized she had to forge her own way. I also wonder if she didn't accept her role as Master because she felt she'd robbed Terra.

That's because she wasn't really acting like a master. I honestly think Aqua can learn quite a bit if she takes a visit to the Pridelands - Aqua spends most of her time being a mouthpiece for Eraqus instead of carving her own path like a master is supposed to be doing (Like Simba freaking out about not being like Mufasa). She really shouldn't be using her title to exhude Eraqus's extreme teachings, but that's exactly what she does. But she also doesn't have much to bounce back on, which is why she does it in the first place.

Smile

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Actually, if you read the Xehanort Reports, you'd know that new Masters are picked because they're mouthpieces for the previous generation. Succession is described as a way in which one Master transfers his teachings.
So I don't think Aqua's wrong in sticking by Eraqus's teachings so much as sticking to the 0 tolerance part of it towards the Darkness. Terra and Ven (when Eraqus is concerned) are their family. There had to have been another way besides violence (verbal in Aqua's case, though she did come to the conclusion that she'd have to fight Terra).

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
They could've put some more effort into not leaving anything for interpretation or assumptions. If there's a background, it should be showed.

Ah, this again...lol, I believe we already had this somewhere.
While I wholeheartly agree with the statement that TAV's presentation as a trio was severely hampered in comparison to RAX, I still would ask if really everything has to be put out on a silver platter and shown out clearly...there are also many people who found the constant ice-cream clocktower scenes as too much and "boring" in Days.
Not leaving anything for interpretation and assumption also was never Nomura's forte...we have heads and brains to interpret and come to own conclusions...and I frankly found myself very comfortable with fleshing out some things in my head instead of having them thrown at me through the game itself.

Lastly, as BBS's main "reason" apparently was to disclose "Xehanort's past" it was somewhat obvious the story would be more plot- than character-driven, although I freely admit that by concentrating fewer on unneeded "multiplayer" capabilities they could have done both in a smoother matter.

Seeing all this your main intention got reached however, Smile, as we have a nice and civilized debate here, lol, and MisuzuKamio's analysis was really nice too read. ;)

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
About Data Naminé: that makes a lot of sense. I guess it would make sense that since Naminé included only herself, and since it was before she merged with Kairi, that there was no Data Kairi. I also never thought to consider it might be because she was technically born from Sora (and not Kairi), but that makes sense, too.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
About Data Naminé: that makes a lot of sense. I guess it would make sense that since Naminé included only herself, and since it was before she merged with Kairi, that there was no Data Kairi. I also never thought to consider it might be because she was technically born from Sora (and not Kairi), but that makes sense, too.

She was in fact born from both...using Kairi's heart but Sora's body and soul. ;)

Smile

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
there are also many people who found the constant ice-cream clocktower scenes as too much and "boring" in Days.

And I am one of those people. But there needs to be a balance. If Days had too much of this, BBS had too little.

Lastly, as BBS's main "reason" apparently was to disclose "Xehanort's past" it was somewhat obvious the story would be more plot- than character-driven

This reminds me of so many people's complaints about Sora in KHII - it's "Sora's story" so he gets shown and he's the protagonist, but the true plot and essence is elsewhere while Sora goes through filler Disney worlds.
Also, look at KH1, for instance, where the character motives and plot were one and the same. I didn't need to start wondering what was driving Sora and Riku because while it wasn't shoved into my face, it was stated in a way I didn't really need to start wondering - was it the jealousy? was it the Darkness? was it simply a lack of concern? All questions that rise for many people when dealing with TAV.

although I freely admit that by concentrating fewer on unneeded "multiplayer" capabilities they could have done both in a smoother matter.

This all the way. *grunts*

LightUpTheSky452 said:

You're also forgetting that just because Data-Kairi was never showed, it never meant she never existed. She was mentioned, and D-Sora remembered needing to save both Kairi and Riku during KH1 indicating data of her WAS inside the journal - we just never saw her.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
And I am one of those people. But there needs to be a balance. If Days had too much of this, BBS had too little.

Then let's hope after smacking the pendulum on either side once in KH DDD or KH III they finally find a reasonable balance (although concerning KH III with possibly all three trios involved it can bring in more mess, lol, or the trios intertwine somewhat).

This reminds me of so many people's complaints about Sora in KHII - it's "Sora's story" so he gets shown and he's the protagonist, but the true plot and essence is elsewhere while Sora goes through filler Disney worlds.
Also, look at KH1, for instance, where the character motives and plot were one and the same. I didn't need to start wondering what was driving Sora and Riku because while it wasn't shoved into my face, it was stated in a way I didn't really need to start wondering - was it the jealousy? was it the Darkness? was it simply a lack of concern? All questions that rise for many people when dealing with TAV.

So what? I didn't start wondering with TAV either, it was mentioned what drove them, and in Terra's and Aqua's case there was also an official assigned mission: Stop the Unversed, find their source and locate Master Xehanort.
Normally the two could even have gone out together as they had the same mission goal.
For Terra there was also the struggle with his darkness and him trying to find a way to control it, Ven's motivation was mainly to warn Terra of what he learnt from Vanitas (him running away from home was actually partly contributed by Terra only friendly ruffling Ven's hair instead of hearing him out), and he even later admitted he was curious of other worlds way before.
Eraqus not letting him from his side makes one really wonder though what Xehanort told him...the same "accident" story he deluded Terra with? It was plainly obvious that Eraqus didn't let Ven outside not only because of his youth, however I'm wary of what Xehanort said that Eraqus might know everything, as he was just manipulating Ven to get in danger so that he could set up Terra's further "downfall" out of best intentions and get rid of Eraqus.
Aqua's starting motivation beside the mission goal may have been a true desire to see Terra proving himself, as she clearly was unhappy with the result the MoM had and also dismissed Eraqus's concerns as exaggerated at first.
When Ven ran away another reason came across which was her over-protectiveness towards the younger boy. Terra had this too, but to a lesser extent, while it's true that when Ven came to them first he was very vulnerable and weak, Aqua seemingly overlooked the fact that in the four years that passed Ventus recovered fairly well and was not so fragile anymore. (This also showed through in the scene with the light-orbs, with Aqua too concerned while Terra was confident Ven could handle it).

In the case of Aqua it might have been better if they elaborated a bit more on the exclusive knowledge a true master is allowed to know (it was surely more than that world-transform-thingy alone) so that Aqua maybe had a broader knowledge on things regarding the heart in general and was therefore acting that way.
But I would assume that this would have probably spoiled some crucial information for KH DDD, lol.

KH1 being easier to understand is not that surprising as the story itself was way simpler than what BBS tried to convey, which brings us to:
although I freely admit that by concentrating fewer on unneeded "multiplayer" capabilities they could have done both in a smoother matter.
This all the way. *grunts*
THIS again.
I fully agree with that many opportunities that were in BBS were not as fleshed out as they could be and that there was much more potential that could have been used...which makes me personally more sad than angry.

Zul

Awards
They need character diary entries that we can read. That can deliver a lot to us without them having to go through all the rendering and animation and stuff they have to go through for scenes, and it won't end up slowing down the plot either.

A readable diary entry about how Terra felt after the RG scene, as well as how Ven and Aqua felt would have been golden in BBS. That's one thing they did get right in Days, it wasn't just a smack-load of Xemnas reports.

Smile

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
They need character diary entries that we can read. That can deliver a lot to us without them having to go through all the rendering and animation and stuff they have to go through for scenes, and it won't end up slowing down the plot either.

A readable diary entry about how Terra felt after the RG scene, as well as how Ven and Aqua felt would have been golden in BBS. That's one thing they did get right in Days, it wasn't just a smack-load of Xemnas reports.

That I agree with. To hear things right out of the horse's mouth, and from all around. We know what went on through not only Roxas's mind but Xion and Axel's as well, and they managed to convey a lot of very important points in the relationship (Xion's inner conflicts after running into Riku for the first time and being called a sham and her coming to terms with needing to return to Sora, as well as Axel's development in prefering Roxas and Xion over Saix, as well as coming to terms with Xion's existence and it in turn making him reflect on how he treated Repliku).
You won't have to 'waste' scenes on such things, especially since connecting them to the greater story might be forcing it (part of why such character-oriented material is found more in the novels rather than the games), but you still manage to not only clarify them, but also have them be in-game rather than in the players' minds - which we already saw could be interpreted in many different ways by different people.

Youniquee

Awards
When I look at the things said on these forums, I really wish people from square enix came on here and saw our feedback!
I agree with the dairy entries. I liked Roxas' ones, because it really conveyed how he felt and it was interesting to read. If that had that for TAV, that would have been better. Unlike the Ansem reports or Xehanort reports...I tried reading them and they didn't hold my interest too long.

Smile

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I think both are a necessity. Much like how the Days reports showed things about characters the game didn't have the time or context to display, it'd be all but impossible to convey Xehanort's Reports about the Keyblade War in-game. Regardless, those are things that needed to be displayed.
Also, to be petty, all reports so far were in the 1st person narrative. It's just that we only got them from certain characters and with a very strong plot-focus.

So I think they should keep to that, but also incorporate the Days system.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
The Ansem- and X-Reports do have important meanings though, as they give away many important plot details and confirm facts.

Yet still I have to agree with the diary entries. Each of the trio had their own journal even in their respective color (orange, green and blue) with their portraits on them.
So personal entries from each of the characters giving some additional insight on their thoughts and feelings would have also been very reasonable to be put in there.

Smile

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I think there needs to be a separation in that regard, since the entries you speak of were told from an all-knowing perspective. Terra, Aqua and Ven themselves couldn't have given them.
But an entry per world from the characters' perspective could've also been nice.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Indeed, it would have been a nice feature if the normal journal entries were lined up as shown in the game, while selecting the character's portrait on the other side of the journal would lead to the "personal" section of that particular character where TAV elaborate on events from their own perspective.

axel95

Awards
I voted for Terra, Aqua, and Ven for a few reasons.
1. They have awesome keyblade skills.
2. Plot of BBS was good, except where you have to watch the SAME EXACT scene three times over the course of the game.
3. They have awesome keyblade skills.
4. Loved BBS in general.
5. They have awesome keyblade skills.

TotemoOishii

Last word: Yes, BBS has less direct character-to-character interaction but it really isn't necessary, frankly. You can pick up on so much emotional tension between all three of them without a direct scene, and I believe many if not all of their issues are entirely relateable. Heck, I related to almost all of them at multiple points during the game. Something huge WAS lost at the end of the game. The three of them had such a huge, gleaming potential for wonderful times together with a new, stronger friendship, but it was ripped away from them. There is huge contrast to the tragedy, you just have to look a little bit deeper to find it.
Not going to quote the whole post obviously, but I really liked this. My impressions were also closer to your line of thinking. I would love to read any other analysis of the characters from you XD

And it looks like some people don't like BBS because it was a tragedy, but I guess it depends on your taste. I happen to love tragedies which is part of the reason why I loved this game so much (and the gameplay made it #1 in my books). I've been secretly hoping that KH3D will also be a tragedy since it seems Sora is impervious to misfortune (that isn't quickly fixed anyway).

NotaHero21

hmm actually im not partial to any of the trios, but of them all I'd say the original trio is the best, despite the fact that its isnt a trio(thank you slut bitch queen kairi!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back