• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Subbed or Dubbed?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Subbed or Dubbed, that is the question!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trag

Bronze Member
So, there is a great question among anime viewers. It's been debated that subbed is better than dubbed, and vice versa.
Personally, I prefer Dubbed, it's not that I won't watch an anime subbed, but I like hearing the voices in my own language, it feels more personal to me. I like understanding, and not having to read every line, because I love to pay attention to details in the art.

Voice your opinions!

Last edited:

blinkboy211

A boy nobody owns
Not sure how many times I seen this thread but I haven't seen it in awhile so I will go with it.

I prefer all my anime subbed. I know having to read it while catching the action could be annoying, but it is still so much enjoyable than having to hear bad English voices for some weird reason "Believe It!" Some anime has done really well dubbed and those are the ones I prefer in that form. Stuff like DBZ and Cowboy Bebop are done better in English than in Japanese in my opinion.

Shade737

Silver Member
I go for subbed depending on how much content is edited out. If there is too much censoring then I'll prefer it subbed since the voices don't bother me much.

MF29

I prefer subbed anime because it gives me more of a fresher feel. If the anime was made in Japan, I would rather have it have Japanese voices, it's my way of respecting the anime.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
I prefer subbed, because you get the actual dialog (no alterations or "cheesiness" for the sake of synching words to lips) and because the good sub groups often explain some of the cultural/semantic things that we wouldn't understand otherwise.

Not that there aren't good dubs out there. Last Exile, Place Promised, Heat Guy J, and most of the Miyazaki movies are some that have smooth dubs. Unfortunately, most seem to follow the path of Naruto, Zatch Bell, Gundam Seed, or the original bad dub: Speed Racer

chaywa

A Picasso Reality
RahXephon probably has one of the best dubs around in my eyes alongside Cowboy Bebop

Subtitles, mainly because in the original language, you get the scope of natural emotion in the voices, which i find to be pretty damn important

Essence of Elegy

How long shall you delve into time?
Awards
Dubbed is okay as long as it isn't censored, edited, or has crappy VAs. Otherwise it's subbed for me. I can read the subtitles and watch the action at the same time, so it's no problem.

1cy_Flame

DBZ and GT are pretty decent in English.

But I prefer subbed over dubbed overall.

Last edited:

Rix

:)
Awards
I do personally prefer subbed... The dubs are usually poorly done. Bad VA with no emotion at all... And I'm sure there are loads of mistranslations and changes.

Well, sure there are mistranslations in the subs too, but I just prefer hearing the japanese voices. Mostly. They do usually put so much more emotion into it.

Ams Tram Gram

Pique et pique et col?grame
After watching more and more subbed animes as of recently, I'm gooing with that. It is a bit troublesome to read and keep up with the action on screen, but I really don't like dubs of any kinds. Lines always come out sounding lame, or rushed or uninspired, even if it's uncensored. I also agree with what chaywa said, about getting the scope of natural emotion in the voices.

~Gunther~

Website
www.marriland.com
For me, I've found that, for the most part, I prefer whichever version I hear first.

^ Pretty much this.

If I watch a series subbed first, hearing the dub sounds a little awkward (and vice-versa).

But usually if there is an anime I've never seen before and an uncut/unedited dub of it exists, I'll watch the dub. I just find it easier to pay attention to the animation and action when I don't have to read subtitles.

Elorah

Awards
^ Also this xD

If I watch an anime one way, i'll be used to it for the duration of the series. However, if I see the same series but its the opposite of what I saw it as, it would sound strange to me and it would take me a while to adjust to the sound, if at all.

key46812

I think both has their ups and downs. Though I think everyone is the same when it come right down to it. The first time you wacht a anime, what ever the language it is in is the one you think is just right for the anime. I have seen a few seires subbed and I just hear that they are come out with a dub, I think 'that's not right'. But I some how wacht one episode to see if they did a far job and some times they live up to it and some times they don't.

Genesis

Broken Down On Memory Lane
Subbed.
Most Dubbed animes suck. But if I could find a rather good one, I wouldnt mind a dubbed one.

The down side of Subbed ones, are that, some names keep changing ( like maybe Light in ep4 and Raito in ep 8) something like that. And also, if they are not subbed well, its a pain in the ass trying to comprehend just wtf they are saying.

The down side of Dubbed ones, are that most of the time they sound weird. And, if there is a particular sentence which is very fast, I wouldnt get it, then I would have to rewind and play it again. And again , translation , translation , translation.

But all in all, Subbed for me, is a better choice.

Last edited:

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
It depends on the anime.

Like for Dragon Ball Z, I prefer dub. Not the english ones from Funimation, but the spanish one. Yu Yu Hakusho, english and most of the other ones like Higurashi or Haruhi Suzumiya. I prefer reading the subs with the cool voices than really crappy ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back