• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Subbed or Dubbed?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Subbed or Dubbed, that is the question!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiquity

Put on your courage and fly
Awards
Depends...

If I watch an anime and I don't like the way their VA sounds or that the script isn't close to the original then chances are I'll go with the dubbed.
However, if the dubbed version is pretty close to the original and the VA's are pretty good, then I'll go with the dubbed. I try to go with the subs sometimes, but listening to something I can understand is easier.

strugglechamp

I prefer subbed. When an anime is dubbed, the company that dubs it can pretty much do whatever they want with it. Well not whatever but you know what i mean. A classic example of this is the whole dbz "vegeta blah blah blah power level?" Its over 8000 /9000.

cloudxxzach

I like the dubbed. Subbed can get a bit annoying in my opinion. And hearing the voices lets me get a better connection with the character. you can hear the expression. And having to read the subs can get tiring wen ur trying to watch the action.
Dubbed by far.

Aliahya

Bronze Member
Dubbed, when the voices are well casted
but im easy going its usually what works well on my pc that i watch.

Wicked

absurdiam
Subbed is good to. Gives you more knowleage of Japanese Culture. But I do agree, when the voices are well casted, it works very.....well.

Chakolat Strawberry

caramel delight
Awards
Subbed. The only time I go dubbed is when I'm too lazy to read and just listen to the dub. Unless if the dub is crap(like Higurashi's dub...omfg...that was shit DX). Very few cases, the dub is better.

Last edited:

Leekaara

I definitely prefer subbed.
Not because I like Japanese better than English. That is not the case.
Simply, English dubs tend to censor anything that may harm a small child's mind.
A well-known example is Naruto. Everyone knows his famous line "Believe It!", which was funny and laughable for awhile, but after a bit many fans started to get irritated that their favorite anime was turning into a joke, simply due to poor translation.
Furthermore, if you were to watch an episode of Naruto subbed by Dattebayo, compared to an episode dubbed on Cartoon Network, you would find two key differences: blood and swear words.
For example, in the beginning of the series Naruto stabs his hand with a kunai to make a point. In the subbed, blood obviously spurts from the wound. In the dubbed, nothing happens. Is that logical? No. It's childish. As well, when something happens that ticks them off, the characters curse. They say fuck, dammit, shit, etc.. This is not so in the dubbed version.
In an episode of Naruto Shippuden, Sai proceeds to call Sasuke a "pantless homo". You'd never hear that if it were dubbed.
So in conclusion, although it would be nice to watch heavy action scenes in english, the fights would be ruined without the blood. Subbed is better for someone who wants an episode that's portrayed exactly how the creator intended.

vivi_07

It depends on the anime.
If it has a lot of the good stuff cut off then i would pick subbed.
but some are cool dubbed i dont have to read subtitles and might miss the scene.

Mistearea

Fear the Mist
Shifting through the spaces like only Mist can.
Subbed for me.
I prefer all anime like that for the fact that we could get it faster that way, it'd be cheaper and we get the full script.

I mean, sure it's nice to hear things in your own language but it's best to get the real stuff. I've lost count of how many dubbed anime I've seen that changed the words just to match the lips. That completely annoys me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back