• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Nomura: Kingdom Hearts 3 Will Have Another Playable Character

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

AleMustDie

Awards
Roxas will be fine. I think Riku.
Riku alone isn't enough.
I like Riku and Roxas.. But I like more Lea.

Well, in any case, I hope for other Playable CHaracters, I don't care if in the Story. But a Mode with other Playable CHaracters should be awesome.

Silver_Soul

Bronze Member
Awards
Best scenario for me would be: Kairi catches up to Riku and Mickey and she is the playable character trying to rescue aqua in the realm of darkness. A light in the darkness.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
It's gonna be Xehanort. As the final part of the Xehanort Saga, it is important to mirror the hero's journey to his nemesis and foil. We'll follow Young Xehanort as an apprentice as he learns about the Book of Prophecies and the black box.

But if it isn't Xehanort, it'll be something surprising like Mickey.

Booyakasha.

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
Best scenario for me would be: Kairi catches up to Riku and Mickey and she is the playable character trying to rescue aqua in the realm of darkness. A light in the darkness.
that could well to but let wait and see

It's gonna be Xehanort. As the final part of the Xehanort Saga, it is important to mirror the hero's journey to his nemesis and foil. We'll follow Young Xehanort as an apprentice as he learns about the Book of Prophecies and the black box.

But if it isn't Xehanort, it'll be something surprising like Mickey.

Booyakasha.
i can that happing as well i guess we have to wait and see

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
You know, no one has brought up that it COULD very well be Traverse Town Guy Who Lost His Heart as the playable character.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I'm sorry, why do some poeple want Aqua to be the playable character? We literally had a prologue with her as a playable character...

I'm contempt with either Kairi or Young Xehanort. Kairi for character development purposes, and Xehanort to add a twist to the narrative by familiarising yourself with the main antagonist.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I'm sorry, why do some poeple want Aqua to be the playable character? We literally had a prologue with her as a playable character...

I'm contempt with either Kairi or Young Xehanort. Kairi for character development purposes, and Xehanort to add a twist to the narrative by familiarising yourself with the main antagonist.

Maybe because *gasp*, people actually like playing as Aqua, she already has a full playable model at hand and people might enjoy controlling her some more after that said prologue?
Not to mention that she might have something more worthwhile to contribute to the storyline that requires playability?

If the second character has access to the same full party system as Sora though (and it isn't Xehanort, who has no friends or allies, only pawns for his eeevil plans) we might get something interesting to see, like i.e. a playable Aqua or Mickey with Riku, Mickey/Aqua (depending who's not playable) and possibly Ventus etc. as party members.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Maybe because *gasp*, people actually like playing as Aqua, she already has a full playable model at hand and people might enjoy controlling her some more after that said prologue?
Not to mention that she might have something more worthwhile to contribute to the storyline that requires playability?

If the second character has access to the same full party system as Sora though (and it isn't Xehanort, who has no friends or allies, only pawns for his eeevil plans) we might get something interesting to see, like i.e. a playable Aqua or Mickey with Riku, Mickey/Aqua (depending who's not playable) and possibly Ventus etc. as party members.

Guess what? *gasp*, I like Aqua too. I still think it's a stupid idea to have her playable for Kingdom Hearts III.

Every key character can be argued to have something that makes their arc deserve to be playable. But honestly, why waste the opportunity on a character that's already had the spotlight shined on them? having a already playable build doesn't justify Aqua being playable, it just looks lazy on Square Enix's part.

And if the second playable character follows a similar trend to that of Roxas, other party members wouldn't be necessary so the whole "it isn't Xehanort" argument isn't valid. If anything, Xehanort has validity to be playable because it's his saga.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
You know, no one has brought up that it COULD very well be Traverse Town Guy Who Lost His Heart as the playable character.

We just don't want to raise our hopes that much, so that when it happens it'll be a joyful event.

I'm sorry, why do some people want Aqua to be the playable character? We literally had a prologue with her as a playable character...

Riku has been playable for 3 and a quarter games, and that isn't stopping people for wanting him.

I'm surprisingly fine with anyone, even Riku (otherwise I kinda feels playing has him and watching him grow would be a bit "wasted" should he sit this game out), but if I really had to say... I really want a Terra that plays well.
I have fun using characters like him.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Riku has been playable for 3 and a quarter games, and that isn't stopping people for wanting him.

I'm surprisingly fine with anyone, even Riku (otherwise I kinda feels playing has him and watching him grow would be a bit "wasted" should he sit this game out), but if I really had to say... I really want a Terra that plays well.
I have fun using characters like him.

Except Riku is the deuteragonist of the Kingdom Hearts franchise. Him being playable all the time makes narrative sense because he's the secondary protagonist. Look, favoritism aside for the Kingdom Hearts character you like the most, Sora, Riku and Kairi are the three key characters of the franchise, the story revolves around, or is connected to one of the three in some, way shape or form.

This is further proven with Kingdom Hearts III as Riku has a definitive role and story arc, to find Aqua with Mickey. If Riku ends up being playable then that's exactly the reason why.

Muke

whatever
Awards
I will take a playable Aqua over a playable Riku any day. I also changed my idea and don't want Kairi to be playable, either.

Honestly? Please just give me a mission mode-esque mode, where I can just choose character, choose party members, and play through the worlds/through quests. And give me a huge roster. Make everyone happy.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards

What be the actual gameplay though? Like there would be no heartless or unverse to battle at this point in time, so what enemies are there? What bosses on top of that?

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Except Riku is the deuteragonist of the Kingdom Hearts franchise. Him being playable all the time makes narrative sense because he's the secondary protagonist. Look, favoritism aside for the Kingdom Hearts character you like the most, Sora, Riku and Kairi are the three key characters of the franchise, the story revolves around, or is connected to one of the three in some, way shape or form.

This is further proven with Kingdom Hearts III as Riku has a definitive role and story arc, to find Aqua with Mickey. If Riku ends up being playable then that's exactly the reason why.

You said you didn't understand why people wanted Aqua playable when she already has a prologue, and I noticed how this doesn't really stop people to ask for this or that character to be playable, that is all.
And I say the story revolves around Aqua just as much, maybe more if we're counting Kairi.

What be the actual gameplay though? Like there would be no heartless or unverse to battle at this point in time, so what enemies are there? What bosses on top of that?

Heartless were kinda around. I mean, they existed, and I have to imagine Eraqus and Xehanort became who they became by facing some sort of threat.

Precursor Mar

Great. Can't wait to play as a dumbed-down version of Sora. I guess as long as it's for a prologue like with Roxas then it's fine.

Not liking the sound of having all these party members. Having just 2 meant you couldn't stack multiple supportive abilities. It might be balanced by having large groups of mobs to fight, like they've been showing. But if not then I wouldn't be surprised if they're even more useless than in previous games.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I will take a playable Aqua over a playable Riku any day. I also changed my idea and don't want Kairi to be playable, either.

I would personally love to play as Terra again, but I'd rather think about character development over personal bias. Playing as Aqua for this entry adds minimal progression to the cast of Kingdom Hearts, we already have an in-depth understanding of what Aqua is already going through in The Realm of Darkness. No need to waste exposition on her through game play.

Let Kairi be playable if you want to see her character develop. Making a character an interactive part of the narrative makes the user more attached to them, and makes them better understand their motives by default.

Jgray123487

Awards
Im guessing that he will let us play as multiple characters in the game, but right now saying you will play as another character. As we are all guessing, most likely Riku(going thru the realm of darkness). Doing a tutorial with Lea and Kari would be interesting as well. Many possibilities can happen but will not mention.

Muke

whatever
Awards
I would personally love to play as Terra again, but I'd rather think about character development over personal bias. Playing as Aqua for this entry adds minimal progression to the cast of Kingdom Hearts, we already have an in-depth understanding of what Aqua is already going through in The Realm of Darkness. No need to waste exposition on her through game play.

Let Kairi be playable if you want to see her character develop. Making a character an interactive part of the narrative makes the user more attached to them, and makes them better understand their motives by default.
Honestly, Kairi would be a waste as well. Sorry, but I'm honestly getting kinda sick of all the hyping-up-for-the-sake-of-it-without-payoff. The train left the station.

It's not bias, but more like preference? I don't want to play as Riku again for the fourth time, and Kairi is just too non-existent for me to be interested enough to play as her. Anyone but those two are okay for me, I guess. (I'd even take Xion, not gonna lie)

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
We don't even know what Nomura meant by those words.
Last time he was asked about multiple characters, he talked as if another character would've been more on the likes of Mickey in KH II than Riku in CoM or DDD, so it could even be really just a prologue thing or something similar.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Honestly, Kairi would be a waste as well. Sorry, but I'm honestly getting kinda sick of all the hyping-up-for-the-sake-of-it-without-payoff. The train left the station.

No she wouldn't. Every character in the Kingdom Hearts franchise can have a twist and turn with their character arc at any given moment. Just look at Ventus for example, he turned from one of the BBS trio that's connected to Sora, to a kid who's connected to The Age of Fairy Tales and The Keyblade War as a new Union leader.

This is nothing to do with "hyping-up-for-the-sake-of-it-without-payoff", this is to do with the narrative of Kingdom Hearts III as a standalone title, and which characters have unexplored facets. Again, Riku has been playable for two titles because he's the secondary protagonist, that's a fact whether you like that or not, key characters have favoritism in the narrative because they're key characters.

Aqua is nowhere in the same rank of importance as Sora, Riku and Kairi. Yeah, Aqua's playable in more than one game, but she's technically a side protagonist, just like Namine and just like Ephemer. You can argue all you want with Kairi's lack of character development, but Kingdom Hearts is about Sora, Riku and Kairi first and foremost. The rest of the original characters are just complimentary to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back