• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Nomura: Kingdom Hearts 3 Will Have Another Playable Character

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

SomeKHFan

Awards
With how Riku seems to be Nomura's favourite character, I can see the story of Riku and Mickey searching for Aqua in the realm of Darkness being used to play Riku.

While I would prefer to play Kairi, Mickey or someone else who has yet to be the playable character (maybe Yen Sid), Riku seems the most like bet.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
This is interesting. The fact that we know there will only be one other playable character re-contextualizes the question of who it is entirely. I was kind of operating under the assumption that multiple characters (if not all the GoL) would have a playable portion: not necessarily for significant periods of time, but that the playable role would be passed around heading into and during the finale before circling back to Sora.

But it sounds like Nomura wants to focus this other playable character, so that switching from them to Sora (and/or vice versa) will be especially meaningful. I'm pretty certain it's not Riku or Aqua; both have been done before and would impress just about no one. Young Xehanort is a possibility, but an unhappy one: the only feasible way to use him would be during the prologue and then that's it for the rest of the game. Yes, KH2 did it with Roxas, but that was then. Nomura seems to think this idea is worth the trouble, so I imagine he wants to get as much mileage out of it as he can.

Which, yeah, makes me think it's Kairi. She's a great candidate for a prologue and she can be utilized down the line if Nomura wants to up the stakes and take Sora out of the picture for a while, and pretty much every lead-in to KH3 so far has centered her or those closely associated with her (Namine, Xion). There's agreement between fans and the narrative in demanding that Kairi take on a fuller role. Aaand most of all there's the credit sequence from 2.8 which could be either reassuring or concerning depending on how things pan out. At the time, I took it as a sign that Nomura was (re)positioning Kairi as a "main love interest" and connecting that to her intended role in KH3 (yuck): that could still be the case, but if instead that was simply meant as a hint that Kairi is the single playable character other than Sora in KH3 and he was trying to remind us why that makes sense, then that's pretty great! Yes, Kairi and Sora have a unique and powerful relationship, and there are plenty of scenarios where that relationship could and should come into play. If Sora's heart was going to seek out anyone to, say, take refuge in after becoming intensely damaged following an unprecedented effort to return to existence multiple people who have been lost and are in pain...I can think of two characters who would make sense, and only one of them would create an obvious poetic link to the first game as the finale inevitably attempts to hearken back to the series' origins.

Caxinuld

Awards
I'm not gonna joke about Nomura choosing someone else, just in case it jinxes our chances of getting Kairi as a playable character.

Andriux

Website
kingdomhearts.be
This is a nice surprise. It's almost like another BHK moment! You guys remember that I bet? The hype for the reveal of BHK was crazy. If Nomura does it again like this it'd be throwback, although, a lot of info on KH3 has been revealed it won't be the same nostalgic feeling but it's refreshing to hear.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
Terra vs Master Xehanort showdown (playing as Terra) would be hype.

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
This is interesting. The fact that we know there will only be one other playable character re-contextualizes the question of who it is entirely. I was kind of operating under the assumption that multiple characters (if not all the GoL) would have a playable portion: not necessarily for significant periods of time, but that the playable role would be passed around heading into and during the finale before circling back to Sora.

But it sounds like Nomura wants to focus this other playable character, so that switching from them to Sora (and/or vice versa) will be especially meaningful. I'm pretty certain it's not Riku or Aqua; both have been done before and would impress just about no one. Young Xehanort is a possibility, but an unhappy one: the only feasible way to use him would be during the prologue and then that's it for the rest of the game. Yes, KH2 did it with Roxas, but that was then. Nomura seems to think this idea is worth the trouble, so I imagine he wants to get as much mileage out of it as he can.

Which, yeah, makes me think it's Kairi. She's a great candidate for a prologue and she can be utilized down the line if Nomura wants to up the stakes and take Sora out of the picture for a while, and pretty much every lead-in to KH3 so far has centered her or those closely associated with her (Namine, Xion). There's agreement between fans and the narrative in demanding that Kairi take on a fuller role. Aaand most of all there's the credit sequence from 2.8 which could be either reassuring or concerning depending on how things pan out. At the time, I took it as a sign that Nomura was (re)positioning Kairi as a "main love interest" and connecting that to her intended role in KH3 (yuck): that could still be the case, but if instead that was simply meant as a hint that Kairi is the single playable character other than Sora in KH3 and he was trying to remind us why that makes sense, then that's pretty great! Yes, Kairi and Sora have a unique and powerful relationship, and there are plenty of scenarios where that relationship could and should come into play. If Sora's heart was going to seek out anyone to, say, take refuge in after becoming intensely damaged following an unprecedented effort to return to existence multiple people who have been lost and are in pain...I can think of two characters who would make sense, and only one of them would create an obvious poetic link to the first game as the finale inevitably attempts to hearken back to the series' origins.

9f8a35083091180355012b13675b47d0.gif

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
what if nomura is crating a reverse situation with kairi and sora from kh1 where kairi took refgue in sora heart this sora take refuge in kairi heart some point in the game and evething come full circle in the first game

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
what if nomura is crating a reverse situation with kairi and sora from kh1 where kairi took refgue in sora heart this sora take refuge in kairi heart some point in the game and evething come full circle in the first game

You know what? Considering Xeahnort is apparently still trying to recruit Sora, something along these lines might not be completely out of the blue.

vanitaes

Website
vanitaes.deviantart.com
Am I the only one who doesn't like the fact that it might be only ONE playable character besides sora ? I know most of you want Kairi, but I don't want to watch a cutscene with Riku and Mickey rescuing aqua, I want to PLAY it... i reaaaally don't like this idea @_@ (i know why it might be only one character, but still..)
Or maybe it's just a free-to-choose character like it was in KH3D and we get to play more than one, just not whenever we want to.. ah well, time will tell~

Let me just put another character in this pool of "not gonna happen anyway": VANITAS. Totally not gonna happen, but let me dreaaaam-

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
Am I the only one who doesn't like the fact that it might be only ONE playable character besides sora ? I know most of you want Kairi, but I don't want to watch a cutscene with Riku and Mickey rescuing aqua, I want to PLAY it... i reaaaally don't like this idea @_@ (i know why it might be only one character, but still..)
Or maybe it's just a free-to-choose character like it was in KH3D and we get to play more than one, just not whenever we want to.. ah well, time will tell~

Let me just put another character in this pool of "not gonna happen anyway": VANITAS. Totally not gonna happen, but let me dreaaaam-
i get what your saying what saying about riku but i have seen of enough riku story let kairi have her turn for once and make that her "strong female charachther that we all want to be

Last edited:

Chill

Silver Member
Awards
It's Darth Vader. My dad works for Square Enix. No wait, Unversed Sora.

I'd be very happy to be able to play as Kairi or Young Xehanort, either would be quite a good surprise. Though, if we got to play as any of the previous playable Keyblade wielders I'd still be pretty pleased.

Maybe we play as Vanitas for the majority of the game and just masquerade as Sora, that I'd like to see.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
No yeah, it really should've been more than two characters. KH III is this huge tie-in where every story get together, playing with only Sora and maybe another is just bad.
It's just that it's no use crying over it now.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
We play as Sora, then we betray everyone in the final stretch, we pull off the mask and we were Vanitas the whole time

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
We play as Sora, then we betray everyone in the final stretch, we pull off the mask and we were Vanitas the whole time
love that idea but i think kairi turn tuns into heartless so roxas become whole again but orgenztion 13 has captured sora hearless leaving his heart go to kairi heart where kairi and lea try to get beack sora heartless joined by roxas to save sora and get his payback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back