@Alpha Baymax I don't know, in fact Nomura and his team haven't seen the film or are aware of it yet, but then again, Nomura has mentioned in past interviews that he and his crew are invited by Disney to see Early screenings of their upcoming films before they're released in Japan.I watched Onward and it would definitely make an amazing Kingdom Hearts world. But with its box office performance (partly due to factors out of its control), it may just end up relegated as a world for one of the side games.
Personally it will depend on which Disney and Pixar films they choose as worlds in the KH game cause it comes down to the following factors:
- Which Disney or Pixar films do Nomura and the development team want in the game as worlds.
- Which Disney worlds they want to reuse again for the specific KH game
- The themes that the specific Disney or Pixar film have in common to the theme of the specific KH game (e.g. Friendship, Trust, Connections, Promises, etc.)
- The Story the world can offer
- The gameplay value and environment that the world can offer.
- Disney giving Requests and suggestions to which Films they want to see added in the game to Nomura and the team (e.g. Big Hero 6 in KH3)
I wouldn't be surprise if Onward does wound up becoming a world in the next KH game before KHIV, because like I said in previous posts based on this I have been noticing lately that some of the more recent films released by Disney have been included as a world in a future KH game. The film, Tron: Legacy was a perfect example of this, as the film came out in 2010 while Dream Drop Distance was still in development and eventually became a word 2 years after the film came out, even Big Hero 6 got included in Kingdom Hearts III as a world just a year after its movie came out in 2014, but unlike with Tron: Legacy, Disney and/or Roy Conli basically requested Nomura to be added in the game as a world.
Honestly this is how I see the Disney films as worlds for the next KH games:
Disney Worlds for KH game before Kingdom Hearts IV (DDD 2)
- Inside Out
- Wreck-It Ralph
- Treasure Planet
- Atlantis: The Lost Empire
- Alice in Wonderland (Tim Burton Version) or The Nutcracker and the Four Realms
- The Jungle Book (1967 animated version)
Disney Worlds for Kingdom Hearts IV
- Raya and the Last Dragon
- The Incredibles (following original story after the 2nd film)
- Princess and the Frog
- Frozen II (returning world)
- Toy Story (returning world)
- Aladdin (returning world; following plot of third film)
- Lilo & Stitch
- Winnie the Pooh (returning world)
- Jungle Cruise