• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Mortal Kombat

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
I'm really looking forward to this game. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 is my all-time favourite fighting game. It's just so much fun. With Deadly Alliance, the series took a serious step in the wrong direction and it's gone downhill ever since. No one really cares about the post-UMK3 characters. To me, this looks more or less like a remake of Mortal Kombat Trilogy with hints of Mortal Kombat 4 - which is a good thing.

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
I'm really looking forward to this game. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 is my all-time favourite fighting game. It's just so much fun. With Deadly Alliance, the series took a serious step in the wrong direction and it's gone downhill ever since. No one really cares about the post-UMK3 characters. To me, this looks more or less like a remake of Mortal Kombat Trilogy with hints of Mortal Kombat 4 - which is a good thing.

You'd be wrong there. A couple of characacters from MK4 to Armageddon got popularity, enough to probably warrant them a spot in the new MK as either part of the original roster or DLC. There is a reason why Quan Chi was put in MKvsDC and I'm pretty sure that it doesn't have to do the with the story. The fact they even were going to have him be a DL character shows he's popular. There also a few more in MK4 but even less after that. Honestly the only characters I like from Deadly Alliance and forth is Kenshi and Havik.

While I do agree the gameplay went downhill, the story wasn't as bad. It broke away from the regular threats. Only game I consider to have a terrible story with even more terrible gameplay is Armageddon. Although I will say some of the designs of the characters post MK4 were atrocious, with others being pretty good.

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
defineprog.deviantart.com
A couple things that have been revealed, but not posted in this thread.

[video=youtube;wbwALe_qBaY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbwALe_qBaY[/video]
[video=youtube;4TvVhURbpd4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TvVhURbpd4[/video]
[video=youtube;Lx40J0N8xPY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx40J0N8xPY[/video]
[video=youtube;Tn9HMpCoSv8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn9HMpCoSv8[/video]
[video=youtube;NkIe20nDlBU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkIe20nDlBU[/video]
[video=youtube;lniLPHJiyQ0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lniLPHJiyQ0[/video]
[video=youtube;wtbfknUGip4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtbfknUGip4[/video]
[video=youtube;8Dp9FgOWBjk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Dp9FgOWBjk[/video]
[video=youtube;xG6MSPX3ucg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG6MSPX3ucg[/video]

Confirmed characters so far...
1. Cyrax
2. Ermac
3. Goro
4. Jade
5. Jax
6. Johnny Cage
7. Kano
8. Kitana
9. Kung Lao
10. Kratos (Playstation 3 exclusive character)
11. Liu Kang
12. Mileena
13. Nightwolf
14. Noob Saibot
15. Reptile
16. Scorpion
17. Sektor
18. Shang Tsung
19. Shao Kahn
20. Sindel
21. Sonya Blade
22. Stryker
23. Sub-Zero
The characters that have not been seen in play, but have been officially confirmed, thus far, are:
1. Baraka
2. Kabal
3. Quan Chi
4. Raiden

Gotta say, I'm largely looking forward to this. The Challenge Tower looks like it's gonna keep me playing for a long while. It looks like Mortal Kombat is bringing back all the charm that made the original games so great, while also reinventing itself. Very cool.

╬ProperArtist╬

Instantly Classic
Awards
Website
the13thmember.deviantart.com
Yeah like I told you earlier today, this game is a must by for me.
Reminds me of the MK I grew up with rather than the watered down crappy versions after MK Gold (Deception was good because of it's storymode same with Shaoulin Monks). The inclusion of all those old school "test your might" and challenge tower sound both hilarious and hard as balls but it should be hella fun.
Ermac's probably going to be my main

Now i just need to decide if I want the Kollectors edition or not.

Also Noob Saibot looks all kinds of amazing and if he's anything like his Trilogy counterpart, he's going to be broken as sh!t

Toadles

Mmm Mmm Mileena

Dat ass

anyway, that challenge tower looks fun :)

I'm glad Noob Saibot is here, but I'm still hoping they put in Smoke, they're supposedly putting every classic guy in.

Goro and Shao Kahn better be playable!

While I do agree the gameplay went downhill, the story wasn't as bad. It broke away from the regular threats. Only game I consider to have a terrible story with even more terrible gameplay is Armageddon. Although I will say some of the designs of the characters post MK4 were atrocious, with others being pretty good.

Hsu Hao...ugh..yeah some characters looked downright weird. Reptile got a little too reptilish.

It's nice that you can also use their classic costumes, Classic Sub Zero and Scorpion were seen in one of the trailers.

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
It's nice that you can also use their classic costumes, Classic Sub Zero and Scorpion were seen in one of the trailers.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, that's just a preorder bonus.
Gamestop- Classic Scoprion outfit + flaming skull/toasty fatality
Best Buy- Classic Sub-Zero outfit + spine rip fatality
Amazon- Classic Reptile outfit + tongue/head removal fatality

I'm probably going to preorder my copy from Amazon, just because I don't really care much for Reptile's new look.

Also, from the MK wikia page.
In the official Playstation Magazine, a preview of the game states, "It's expected that the roster will be rounded up with Kombat's usual assortment of gods, creeps and weirdos, including Raiden, Sonya, Jax, Smoke, Kitana, Liu Kang and others." However, Smoke has not yet been officially confirmed.
On December 7, 2010, a series of audio clips were leaked onto the official website. Although no longer available from their original source, the leak is still available elsewhere online due to fans.

* Amongst the audio clips are a series of character intros titled after the following characters: Ermac, Goro, Kabal, Kung Lao, Noob Saibot, Quan Chi, Sektor, Shao Kahn, Sindel, Smoke, Stryker, and Sub-Zero.
So we may be getting Smoke.

Toadles

Ah dang, so you can't get all of it unless you preorder..three copies. Oh well.

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
Don't really want the Scorpion and Sub-Zero ones. Which is why I'm pre-ordering from Amazon, besides, Reptile is my main in MKII and after seeing him in that retro outfit really made me decide to follow that path again. I was planning on maining him either way but now I can feel even more old-school about it.

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
So the demo is up on PSN (possibly on Live too I dunno). If you're a Playstation Plus member, you can get it for free. If not, it's 4-5 dollars. Which is not so cool, since you only get to pick between four characters. But if you can't wait until April to get your dose of MK, go ahead. I got it since I'm already a PSPlus member (which I only got for the DCUO beta), and this game is fun as shit. Easily the best MK game yet. Though there's so many different moves and combos for each character, I'm gonna have to make a list just so I don't have to keep pausing it every 5 seconds.

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
Hm. Wonder whose idea it was to make Scorpion a guaranteed victory character, and to make Sub-Zero pretty much the slowest character in the game. I mean, I get that Scorpion is Boon's favorite character...and I get that the slowness kinda fits Sub's ice theme...but it's making them the worst matchup in the game. Sub-Zero players will rarely stand a chance against Scorpion players. (or maybe I just don't know how to use sub-zero)

ANYWAY. New trailer.
[video=youtube;J1SNu3UTaAI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1SNu3UTaAI[/video]
We get some Raiden gameplay/story, a tiny bit o' Baraka, and confirmation that Sheeva is going to be in the game.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Played the demo on PSN. Thought it was pretty meh.

Granted, when all you can do is fight an AI ladder with 1 of 4 characters (plus the fact that I'm not much of a MK fan to begin with), that's not too surprising.

The game looks good though, aesthetically speaking.

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
Yeah I played it for an hour or two, then started to get kinda bored with it. If it weren't for Proper living so close to me, so we could try out the Vs mode, I don't think I would have cared much for it. But I still can't wait for the final product.

[video=youtube;YdVhKkchpLY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdVhKkchpLY[/video]
And here's a pretty good interview with Ed Boon. Features some more gameplay from the Challenge Tower that we haven't seen, and some gameplay featuring Kano/Jax/Sonya/Ermac/Liu Kang/Baraka/Noob Saibot. I really love Noob's animations. And Ermac seems really powerful, being able to just suspend people in the air. Definitely one of those characters that if you give him an inch, he could probably wreck you. Also worth mentioning that this is easily my favorite design they've given Kano, yet.

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
I sure am posting alot here. But what can I say, this being the first good Mortal Kombat game in over a decade, I'm really excited.

Anyway, so we got Kabal officially confirmed.
Xkabal_gttv_sm.jpg.pagespeed.ic.5SgoCqAkdV.jpg

He's always been on of my favorite character designs in the series. I hope that his speed doesn't make him overpowered in this, though.

There's also been a massive leak, in the form of a hack of the PS3 demo. We know pretty much everything there is to know about the game now, save for the visuals of certain characters and events. So Smoke (human) is in fact in the game, as is pretty much every other character everyone's been begging for (except Rain, but who cares about him, and Motaro). There's also a "hidden fighter", Cyber Sub-Zero. Don't really know what's up with that, but his move set suggests he's a mix between Cyrax and Sub-Zero, and that he plays a part in one of the chapters of Sub's story mode. If I had to guess, the Lin Kuei tried to recreate Sub's older/dead brother.

Awards
I believe the Cyber Sub-Zero thing was already publicly mentioned as unlockable. I don't remember the exact video, but I'm pretty sure it was one of the Ed Boon interviews.

Regardless, it'll be interesting.

And don't forget- there's going to be DLC characters (hell the slots are already there), so anyone left out of the main roster may very well find their way into the form of DLC.

Vossler

I'll Be His Successor
Kratos better not be a hack of a fighter like he was in that Soul Caliber PSP instalment.

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
Kratos looks like he'll be pretty powerful, but not overpowered. Most of those moves look like they'll have some sort of stun effect on him if they're blocked (as seems to be the case with any powerful move in this game). And I love that they put a QTE attack in the game for him, too hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back