• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Mortal Kombat

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
xxcs68.jpg

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment Announces Mortal Kombat

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment announces Mortal Kombat, the most brutal instalment of the landmark fighting game to date for release on the PlayStation 3 computer entertainment system and Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft in 2011. Mortal Kombat is being developed by the newly re-named NetherRealm Studios, led by Mortal Kombat creator and creative director Ed Boon.

nrs_logo.png

I've been waiting for this for quite a while, and firetruck does it looks good. Based on the title, it seems it's a reboot but unlike what Ed Boon mentioned before, it will keep the old characters. I didn't feel like Armageddon was much of a closure for the series but if this is indeed a reboot, then I'm glad either way.

Confirmed Characters:

Pretty much almost everyone from MK1-3 plus Quan Chi `3`

ROXAS_32

Lobo Solitario
Awards
Website
www.twitter.com
MK vs. DC killed the Mk series for me =/
i've never liked it more than street fighter but it was ok but now i dont think i can go back =/

LadyScythe

in a chair wrapped in thee most comfy blanket ever
Website
www.youtube.com
Actually looking foward to this new MK game. I mean after i was Mk vs Dc just like killed it for me. to me it was horrible.
Armageddon was alright, wasnt happy with the endings cause it solved nothing...not that there ever canon anyway, but still
Deception/Unchained, eh
Shaolin Monks, yeah it was good, wasnt too big a hit with me.
MK: Special Forces: just no.
Deadly Alliance, it was interesting.
MK: Tournament Edtion, well for a side game to DA, it was alright, not great but alright.
MK4/Gold, interesting but could have been better.
MK: Mythologies: Sub-Zero, I like this one alot. being a prelude to Mk 1 and 4
and MK 1-Trilogy, the best out of the series. for that time.

so this new one alot of potential, it has.

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
Most people may look down on MK vs DC because of the toned down violence but that's the only real complain people have. The gameplay was pretty good, a definite step-up from Armageddon, which sucked a lot.

Either way I hope we see some sort of demo at E3.

LadyScythe

in a chair wrapped in thee most comfy blanket ever
Website
www.youtube.com
Most people may look down on MK vs DC because of the toned down violence but that's the only real complain people have. The gameplay was pretty good, a definite step-up from Armageddon, which sucked a lot.

Either way I hope we see some sort of demo at E3.

It wasnt just the toned down violence, the violence has been toned down since Armageddon, maybe even a bit before that.
Sure the gameplay and graphics were good. but it wasnt enough to 'save' the game.

I mean look at the limited roster for the game. we have 22 playable characters now personally i think this was a type of game that could have had a bit more characters too it, to make it more interesting but here we have 11 from eachside, and eventually it doesnt leave much to imagination, (not that wouldnt be same case if the cast was bigger)

and most importantly. the plot was not that good to begin with. its a major reason as to why some crossovers fail, excluding Kingdom Hearts, some how that broke a little bit of the crossover mold.

the idea of MK vs DC sounds good but really it just didnt work out and it possibly hurt the two franchises just a tad bit.

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
I mean look at the limited roster for the game. we have 22 playable characters now personally i think this was a type of game that could have had a bit more characters too it, to make it more interesting but here we have 11 from eachside, and eventually it doesnt leave much to imagination, (not that wouldnt be same case if the cast was bigger)

No, the number of characters was fine. Look at Armageddon. The roster was about 60 characters and most, if not all, were half-assed characters . Most of them just had their moves chosen from the two previous Mortal Kombat titles. Fighting styles were two for each character rather than 3 and we got that crappy kreate-a-fatality, which to say is worse than the fatalities in MK vs DC.

As nice as having a wide selection of characters is, I'd rather prefer to have 20 well-made and balanced characters than 60 pooty ones. That being said, Flash was broken but other than him, I found the others to be fine.

and most importantly. the plot was not that good to begin with. its a major reason as to why some crossovers fail, excluding Kingdom Hearts, some how that broke a little bit of the crossover mold.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! I want to say sorry for laughing but, yeah, no.

No one was expecting the story to be 'super' awesome. There were some plot points that I felt were ridiculous but overall it was okay, enough for me to finish it.

the idea of MK vs DC sounds good but really it just didnt work out and it possibly hurt the two franchises just a tad bit.

I don't see how so, many people weren't expecting anything great from the game, so the effects on the franchises from the game shouldn't be anything big. There is however, the retards who let one game have an effect on them where they dismiss future games.

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards
Trust me, it didn't hurt DC at all. Midway was the developer, so it was all on their shoulders.

It hurt Mortal Kombat more than it could ever hurt the DC characters.

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
QUIT BEING IN DENIAL STOOGE, MK VS DC SUCKED AND IT HURT BOTH!!! [/angsty idiotic rage]

Anyway, interesting news on this game. Turns out it's not necessarily a reboot but we go back to the beginning in either case.

E3 2010: Mortal Kombat Hands-On - Preview

And then, of course, there are the fatalities. The ones we spied during our hands-on session were truly brutal, and are sure to elicit disgust from the squeamish and delight for those more macabre-minded. Mileena's fatality, for example, sees her throw her sais into an opponent's feet, locking them into place before ripping off their torso. Reptile grabs open an opponent's mouth, spits acid into it, before punching a hole in their stomach and ripping out their intestines. Sektor slices an opponent's upper body into several pieces, before individually targeting them with missiles to destroy them even further. Words don't do justice to the level of gore on show here, so you'll have to trust us that these moves are pretty extreme (either that or watch some game play videos).

;~; so nice

E3 2010: Mortal Kombat Preview - PlayStation 3 Preview at IGN

We're also talking about a new take on the series' story. "Mortal Kombat has this timeline - eighteen years of making games, and we really didn't want to just continue, like, chapter seventeen of the whole story," says Ed Boon, the co-creator of the series. "So we're kind of doing a Back to the Future type of thing, where Raiden is about to be killed by Shao Kahn, and just before he delivers the last blow, he sends a mental message to his earlier self, so the camera rewinds back to Mortal Kombat 1. The Raiden from back then gets a message and he doesn't know what's going on, but he knows something bad's going to happen, and the game spans Mortal Kombat 1, 2 and 3, retelling the story with an enlightened Raiden, and he's changing the course of things, so everything you've seen happen before – Liu Kang winning, the guys turning into cybernetic ninjas, are changed around, so you might see a character become cybernetic who wasn't before, and so you see a different version [of events]."

And here's a video shown today in Sony's Conference, showing one of the fatalities of Kung Lao:

I'll edit this post later with all the images I've found so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back