• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts III releasing sooner than expected?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lnds500

Bronze Member
Awards
But late 2015 would already give them 2,5 years of development (plus whatever preproduction stuff they already have accomplished before the announcement)! I'd say 2016 is the date if they are running behind. 2017 would be absolute disaster and SE would probably be the laughing stock of the generation again. I really don't think this will happen. I think they have been planning their next-gen strategy for a long while now. They have their FF13+14 disasters over with this year and FFXV and KH3 are full speed ahead as their flagship titles after that.

Edit: It is kinda funny that I think there is this ''pessimism'' around the expectations of this project. I think SE has this stigma now that makes people fear every project will take at least 3-5 years or whatever. It was the same when I talked with different people how KH3 would probably be announced at E3. Most said it couldn't be possible for whatever reason. Mostly it was because ''2.5 isn't announced yet'' like SE was this clumsy rhino who could do one project at a time and every project would take forever to get out. I'll call it right now: people will be very pleasantly surprised by SE output next generation if they compare it to what we got this gen. I believe we will get at least 2 big totally original Final Fantasy titles and 2 big Kingdom Hearts titles and that is not counting any of the possible spinoffs or XV sequels or whatever.

i'm just being a realist really :p

"In development" could mean anything from story pitches to game engine tests and idea pitches. Nomura said it that it was too early to announce the game and he basically just game us a sneak peak. I expect KH3 to enter full production sometime after XV is finished (I guess 2014 at the earliest by what we're seeing). After that I expect at least 2 years of development on the title, giving it a release window of late 2016-early 2017. And that's not counting in the shenanigans Square has accustomed us to this past gen. Also, let's hope Nomura doesn't decide to make another game before KH3 (TWEWY 2?)

To compare, Ready at Dawn's PS4 game has been in development since 2010.

TheFelineFive

I recall Nomura mentioning that he felt that the announcement revealed was sooner than it should have been.. If I'm wrong about that I apologize, I feel that there is much more to come before we get our hands on this game.

A game that just entered/has had minimal development released before a game that has most of its development done?
Right.
Oh gosh. I can't imagine that becoming a reality. I am not even ready for this game!

Last edited by a moderator:

Antilurker77

My guesses:

FF15: Winter 2014 for JPN / Spring 2015 for US
KH3: Late Winter 2015 for US / Early Winter/Spring 2016 for US

Youniquee

Awards
A game that just entered/has had minimal development released before a game that has most of its development done?
Right.

That's what I was thinking...that prediction doesn't really make any sense but ok *shrug* I'll be really surprised if that is indeed the case (which I highly doubt)

Nova

It's why they keep spawning lots of sequels because it takes so long for them to make a numbered title and in the end it's not always worth it. It's why FF13 has 2 sequels and why FFX has a sequel. I don't think people were interested enough in the FFXII plot to have wanted a sequel either.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
It's why they keep spawning lots of sequels because it takes so long for them to make a numbered title and in the end it's not always worth it. It's why FF13 has 2 sequels and why FFX has a sequel. I don't think people were interested enough in the FFXII plot to have wanted a sequel either.
121909-aleni.jpg

Gonzales95

Awards
Right.

Also is a game that was announced in 2006. It is now 2013. We still don't know the reasons for the delay, so there is no reason that we can assume which game will come out first. KH3 will inevitably be a smaller game XV so it should theoretically have a shorter development time. It has been worked on since 2010 (even if that work has been limited) and given the Osaka team managed to get 3D released about 2 years after their last game (BBS), there's no reason why it would take any more than 3 years for KH3 even with some resources being used on the HD remasters.

Versus XIII/XV has been a game plagued by delay and uncertainty, so nobody can say for sure when it is coming out. If they reveal a release date at TGS then great but I somehow doubt that.

Also, think how many other SE games have come and gone since Versus XIII was 'announced' in 2006. Loads.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Also is a game that was announced in 2006. It is now 2013. We still don't know the reasons for the delay, so there is no reason that we can assume which game will come out first. KH3 will inevitably be a smaller game XV so it should theoretically have a shorter development time. It has been worked on since 2010 (even if that work has been limited) and given the Osaka team managed to get 3D released about 2 years after their last game (BBS), there's no reason why it would take any more than 3 years for KH3 even with some resources being used on the HD remasters.

Versus XIII/XV has been a game plagued by delay and uncertainty, so nobody can say for sure when it is coming out. If they reveal a release date at TGS then great but I somehow doubt that.

Also, think how many other SE games have come and gone since Versus XIII was 'announced' in 2006. Loads.
KH3 hasn't been worked on since 2010. That was just an offhand comment from IGN (Who tried to claim Nomura said it, even though he didn't).
Given how wrong IGN is about Kingdom Hearts facts, I wouldn't trust their words.

Pestilence

Awards
i'm just being a realist really :p

"In development" could mean anything from story pitches to game engine tests and idea pitches. Nomura said it that it was too early to announce the game and he basically just game us a sneak peak. I expect KH3 to enter full production sometime after XV is finished (I guess 2014 at the earliest by what we're seeing). After that I expect at least 2 years of development on the title, giving it a release window of late 2016-early 2017. And that's not counting in the shenanigans Square has accustomed us to this past gen. Also, let's hope Nomura doesn't decide to make another game before KH3 (TWEWY 2?)

To compare, Ready at Dawn's PS4 game has been in development since 2010.
What? KH3 is in full production right now AFAIK. It's made by totally different people than XV. All the quotes ect from the past year or so make it seem like KH3 has been in pre production for a long time and the development is now full speed ahead.

As for RAD:s new game you need to remember they had to wait till getting the dev kits before they could do any serious work on The Order. I'm not too sure about this but I think they might have received the dev kits/started serious work on the game around lateish 2011.
The Order 1886 developer Ready At Dawn has confirmed that its steampunk PS4 title was in development limbo for years until Sony released its next-gen dev kits.

Ready At Dawn’s creative director Ru Weerasuriya told Polygon in an interview that the game was in limbo for years, and that current-generation tech was incapable of hitting the goals the team set itself. So the team waited for PS4 tech to become available before proceeding with the project.
Just speculation but I'd imagine The Order will be mid-late 2014 title making the development time around 2,5-3 years. About the same I expect KH3 dev time to be.

Both teams are actually quite similar. Both going from AAA handheld games to next gen. Both probably smaller than your avarage next gen team but backed with very powerful backup if need be (Santa Monica, SE studios). I do wonder if Nomuras team will go straight from XV to help finish KH3.

Last edited:

Etherealin

I don't know how true this is, but when I was ordering my PS4 yesterday, the guy was pretty sure that KH3 would be a launch title (according to the book he had with all the games listed in it) even after I expressed doubts about it...I reckon it's purely wishful thinking, though.

Pestilence

Awards
I don't know how true this is, but when I was ordering my PS4 yesterday, the guy was pretty sure that KH3 would be a launch title (according to the book he had with all the games listed in it) even after I expressed doubts about it...I reckon it's purely wishful thinking, though.
Well I can tell you right now that the guy is insane.

Shogo-Kun

Awards
Honestly, I think we should expect Kingdom Hearts 3 to be released in late 2015 to early 2016. I'd rather have a delayed game that's polished rather than a rushed game that is broken as all hell.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards

We have a pretty good idea as to why Versus has taken so long. SE shouldn't have announced it when they did, they didn't have any significant progress done on it until they started working on it fulltime circ 2011. Basically the White Engine was horrible to work with and it didn't really get much better when they reworked it into Crystal Tools. On top of that, the people who were supposed to be working on Versus were called in to help other more important projects such as FFXIII and FFXIV Realm Reborn. There were other factors which I don't recall at the moment, but what it comes down to is Versus is already much closer to being finished than KH3 if they had all those cinematics and a gameplay demo to show. Nomura even questions if they should have announced KH3 so early, but I guess it was necessary as some sort of assurance.

Last edited:

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
Honestly, I think we should expect Kingdom Hearts 3 to be released in late 2015 to early 2016. I'd rather have a delayed game that's polished rather than a rushed game that is broken as all hell.

guys remember this quote A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."so keep this mind when you think about kh3 and be happy they are making it now

sdr08

i think 2015-2016 is about right, we might not see another trailer until next year, but at least we will be getting timely updates as Square's president said, or does it only apply to FFXV

Memory Master

Gold Member
Awards
Nomura said one KH games per year. KH HD 1.5 Remix is the game for this year. KH HD 2.5 Remix will be the game for next year. KH3 may be the game for 2015, unless they decide to make a game telling the story of Riku's travels through out KH1, 358/2 Days, and KH2 and Mickey's journey in the Realm of Darkness during KH1 (Both of which Nomura said he wanted to explore) in which case that game could be the 2015 game and KH3 could be a 2016 game, but i'm hoping KH3 is 2015 and we get a game about Riku and Mickey sometime before KH3 is released.

Pestilence

Awards
Nomura said one KH games per year. KH HD 1.5 Remix is the game for this year. KH HD 2.5 Remix will be the game for next year. KH3 may be the game for 2015, unless they decide to make a game telling the story of Riku's travels through out KH1, 358/2 Days, and KH2 and Mickey's journey in the Realm of Darkness during KH1 (Both of which Nomura said he wanted to explore) in which case that game could be the 2015 game and KH3 could be a 2016 game, but i'm hoping KH3 is 2015 and we get a game about Riku and Mickey sometime before KH3 is released.
I really doubt they will make any new canon KH games before KH3. Let's say that they want a KH game for 2015 and KH3 slipped for 2016. I'd expect the 2015 game to be either Dream Drop Distance HD as a standalone release or something like Kingdom Hearts Theathrythm.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com

Time is not necessarily the issue. FFVII-XI were all roughly released about a year or two from eachother. XII was loved enough to get a plethora of cameos throughout the Ivalice Alliance, and get a sequel on a completely different platform...

On the down side, we'd probably anticipate its release for the series 20th anniversary.
Too long to wait!!

That won't happen. They learned from their mistake with Versus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back