• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts III releasing sooner than expected?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pestilence

Awards
2017 is my prediction. Why? Because the major KH titles KH1, KH2, and BBS each have a 4-year time gap since they were announced.

KH1 was announced at E3 2001 and released in March 2002, 9 months gap.
KH2 was announced at TGS 2003 and released in December 2005, 2 years 3 months gap.
BBS was announced at TGS 2007 and released in January 2010, 2 years 4 months gap.

Last edited:

WaveK89

Meh, maybe it's just me feeling older, but 2015 really doesn't feel far away.

State

Awards
All in all, I hope they take a lot of time for its release, seeing as how I don't want it to suffer KH2's pressured fate. '_'

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards
KH1 was announced at E3 2001 and released in March 2002, 9 months gap.
KH2 was announced at TGS 2003 and released in December 2005, 2 years 3 months gap.
BBS was announced at TGS 2007 and released in January 2010, 2 years 4 months gap.

Yes, but it's obvious KH1 didn't take just a year. And it's obvious KH2 didn't just take 2 years. If you look at the time they actually started developing the games themselves, assuming they did so a short while after each game was announced, then it would be 4 years development time. Which is honestly pretty standard for a lot of video games.
Plus, KH3 JUST started development. That is obvious. This isn't a case where KH3 has really been developed since 2010 (Yeah, IGN quit pulling that bullcrap, the Osaka Team went on to make KH3D after BBS, they COULDN'T have been working on KH3 all this time >_>), this is a case where they have had maybe a couple months at the most.

Pestilence

Awards
Yes, but it's obvious KH1 didn't take just a year. And it's obvious KH2 didn't just take 2 years. If you look at the time they actually started developing the games themselves, assuming they did so a short while after each game was announced, then it would be 4 years development time. Which is honestly pretty standard for a lot of video games.
Plus, KH3 JUST started development. That is obvious. This isn't a case where KH3 has really been developed since 2010 (Yeah, IGN quit pulling that bullcrap, the Osaka Team went on to make KH3D after BBS, they COULDN'T have been working on KH3 all this time >_>), this is a case where they have had maybe a couple months at the most.
People usually get confused with the whole ''development'' word. I am certainly not an expert but it does consist of two very different things: pre production and production. With a game like Kingdom Hearts 3 it certainly is more than possible that it has been in low profile pre production since 2010 or even longer since it has been a concept that is alive for a very long time. Now it probably didn't start for real before 2012 but it certainly has been on works for a while.

Then there is the production stage and this is what probably has just started recently. Late 2012-early 2013. So pretty much the development of the game is full speed ahead. Now you are saying that it would take 4 years to develop the game. I'll respond that I don't believe that. If all goes well with Osaka team on HD development I suspect the development would take around 2,5-3,5 years. I think the japanese release of KH3 will be late 2015 or early 2016.

None of the KH game main development phase has taken 4 years, believe me. For KH1 I don't know when PS2 development kits were out but it couldn't have been more than 3 years max. According to wikipedia it started as late as february 2000 and that is quite believeable date, the source is japanese so I won't go further with that. Let's say that date refers to the start of the main development, it would mean almost exactly 2 year development cycle.

Kingdom Hearts 2 then. According to Nomura:
Dengeki PlayStation magazine: When did the plans for Kingdom Hearts II come up?

Tetsuya Nomura: The plans were around since the time when Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix, wrapped production, but the specifics weren't decided until this July or August.
So let's speculate the main development started in July 2003. That would make it 2,5 year main development cycle. Tho even that quote is a little strange. ''Plans'' almost sound like more pre production than production stage so it might be less than that.

Birth By Sleep then. Now again the sources from Wikipedia are Ultimania and Famitsu so I cannot state for the accuracy since I do not read japanese. However according to them:
Development of the game began in June 2005 and was originally intended for the PS2 with Sora as the prototype protagonist of the game.

Development of the game began before the release of Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix+. The plot was completed, but development was halted six months after it began due to development of Re:Chain of Memories. The development team changed the platform to the PSP so as to make use of the PSP's functions such as co-operative and competitive multiplayer gameplay.

This is the hardest one of all to calculate since the game both changed the platform and the whole premise. So June 2005-January 2010. And at late 2005/early 2006 the development comes to a halt and development on Re:CoM begins. This is where things get hazy because we don't know exact dates but let's say that Re:CoM took them little over 1 year to develop or at least that is the time that BBS was completely on halt.

So in the span of around 3,5 years or probably even less they developed BBS and they did it while doing major revisions to the project like changing platform from PS2 to PSP and changing the whole story.

KeybladeMaster07

People usually get confused with the whole ''development'' word. I am certainly not an expert but it does consist of two very different things: pre production and production. With a game like Kingdom Hearts 3 it certainly is more than possible that it has been in low profile pre production since 2010 or even longer since it has been a concept that is alive for a very long time. Now it probably didn't start for real before 2012 but it certainly has been on works for a while.

Then there is the production stage and this is what probably has just started recently. Late 2012-early 2013. So pretty much the development of the game is full speed ahead. Now you are saying that it would take 4 years to develop the game. I'll respond that I don't believe that. If all goes well with Osaka team on HD development I suspect the development would take around 2,5-3,5 years. I think the japanese release of KH3 will be late 2015 or early 2016.

None of the KH game main development phase has taken 4 years, believe me. For KH1 I don't know when PS2 development kits were out but it couldn't have been more than 3 years max. According to wikipedia it started as late as february 2000 and that is quite believeable date, the source is japanese so I won't go further with that. Let's say that date refers to the start of the main development, it would mean almost exactly 2 year development cycle.

Kingdom Hearts 2 then. According to Nomura:

So let's speculate the main development started in July 2003. That would make it 2,5 year main development cycle. Tho even that quote is a little strange. ''Plans'' almost sound like more pre production than production stage so it might be less than that.

Birth By Sleep then. Now again the sources from Wikipedia are Ultimania and Famitsu so I cannot state for the accuracy since I do not read japanese. However according to them:

This is the hardest one of all to calculate since the game both changed the platform and the whole premise. So June 2005-January 2010. And at late 2005/early 2006 the development comes to a halt and development on Re:CoM begins. This is where things get hazy because we don't know exact dates but let's say that Re:CoM took them little over 1 year to develop or at least that is the time that BBS was completely on halt.

So in the span of around 3,5 years or probably even less they developed BBS and they did it while doing major revisions to the project like changing platform from PS2 to PSP and changing the whole story.

I also believe it shouldn't take long for KH3 to be made. I mean Nomura has already mentioned in the Famitsu interview that Square Enix ALREADY has a demo build running on an actual next gen hardware. Which means, they have most, if not, all of the animations done. All they would need to do is to polish it, add voice and soundtrack, and add the minor details into it along with finishing touches. Keep in mind, KH3 HAS been in development for quite some time (2010 I believe). Either way, there is no way KH3 will take any longer than 2 years at the most to be released. Watch, probably by the end of this year they will already start recording! Nomura knows pretty well that the fans have been waiting waaayyy too long for this third installment.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I also believe it shouldn't take long for KH3 to be made. I mean Nomura has already mentioned in the Famitsu interview that Square Enix ALREADY has a demo build running on an actual next gen hardware. Which means, they have most, if not, all of the animations done. All they would need to do is to polish it, add voice and soundtrack, and add the minor details into it along with finishing touches. Keep in mind, KH3 HAS been in development for quite some time (2010 I believe). Either way, there is no way KH3 will take any longer than 2 years at the most to be released. Watch, probably by the end of this year they will already start recording! Nomura knows pretty well that the fans have been waiting waaayyy too long for this third installment.
Don't listen to IGN. No way was KH3 in development by 2010. Since then, Osaka team has been working on BBS localization, BBSFM, Re:coded, 3D, 1.5 (and likely 2.5 at this very moment) along with beginning on 3. Them having a playable demo doesn't mean it's for the public; the absolute bare minimum was able to be compiled together purely for testing purposes.

Even Nomura says KH3 was announced far too early. Do not expect this title to be released for several years.

Pestilence

Awards
I don't know if IGN pulled that 2010 from their arse but it IS possible for KH3 to have been in low level pre production for that long or even longer. Of course real development couldn't even be possible at that point since next gen dev kits weren't even out.

As for Nomura saying it was announced too early that honestly could mean anything. I think especially with him you need to read between the lines too after the catastrophe that has been Versus project. He was nervous about his trailers shown at E3 and that is understandable since many of the new next gen games announced at E3 had gameplay demos shown. SE knows they have been a lil bit of a laughing stock for the past generation and even with XV showing some gameplay it certainly wasn't a big showing of real gameplay session and even worse with KH3 that was just a teaser trailer. They didn't provide any release date info for XV and that already is poison for Versus project even tho it is fully understandable after moving to new platform and having high technical goals.

Of course I do not expect for KH3 to release in less than 2,5 years. Holiday 2015 is what I think they are hoping for with early 2016 being the date if they need more polish. But there are some people that take the ''too early'' part as meaning it is something ridicilous like 2017 or 2018 title. SE has come out of the bubble that they were in for many long years and they are way more self concious now as seen with their determination to share more info on games in development and even smaller stuff like ''Square Enix Presents''. In todays world showing a teaser like KH3 IS too early compared to what usually we get nowdays. Games like Titanfall that will be huge are revealed less than a year before release. I think Square will be moving to this direction with future titles making KH3 a bit of an anomaly. I think whenever XVI is announced it will be 2 years or less before release. Dream Drop Distance for example was revealed too early with no trailer at all and quite a while before any real info but it took less than 2 years to come out.

I think Nomura in the end wanted to give a trailer like XV had for KH fans since KH3 is such a long overdue announcement but then he would have to wait till 2014 before announcing and that is understandably too late instead of too early.

Here comes my prediction on KH3 showings: TGS and other smaller events they will give small tidbits and maybe namedrop/teaser trailer a new disney world. After that outside of a few smaller interviews it will be in an information hiatus till E3 2014 where the first gameplay trailer is shown with rough core gameplay mechanics in place where we will get a clearer picture on what the final game will look and feel like with few new disney worlds. TGS/JF 2014 will be the big blowout with expanded info on worlds and whatnot and clearer look at the story of the game. Final trailers at E3 2015 and TGS 2015 pumping up the hype for release.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I don't know if IGN pulled that 2010 from their arse but it IS possible for KH3 to have been in low level pre production for that long or even longer. Of course real development couldn't even be possible at that point since next gen dev kits weren't even out.

Nobody is doubting the game was in early planning stages in 2010. The doubt is in how IGN said it was in development, which we all think is a load of bull. They had to have been starting some planning for KH3 by that point for KH3D to have a clear purpose.

KeybladeMaster07

Yea I am pretty sure Nomura and the team already have the plot set. Now all they have to do is decide what Disney worlds to add and how to make them fit in. That should take some time since everyone is crying for a Star Wars or a Marvel world (which I honestly cannot see Kingdom Hearts mix well with).

And as far as the next gen dev kits go, there isn't anything new out there. In fact, they are using engines that has already been used for PC gaming. The next gen consoles are basically running on hardware that isn't new in the PC gaming world. Many game developers had already started on production for the next gen gaming long before they were announced. I can't see how Square Enix would be left out of this news, so KH3 development should've started after BBS. I'm sure Nomura can pull off a release in two years.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
And as far as the next gen dev kits go, there isn't anything new out there. In fact, they are using engines that has already been used for PC gaming. The next gen consoles are basically running on hardware that isn't new in the PC gaming world. Many game developers had already started on production for the next gen gaming long before they were announced. I can't see how Square Enix would be left out of this news, so KH3 development should've started after BBS. I'm sure Nomura can pull off a release in two years.

Except it did not start after BBS. They were working on BBS' localization, BBSFM, KH3D, Re:coded, and the planning for 1.5. There was no room for Osaka to have been developing KH3. Planning, yes. Development? Absolutely no.

If they had started after BBS, we'd have seen a whole lot more than that rough CG trailer at E3. That was all something made recently.

Bobjam

Awards
3:44PM: The idea to make HD 1.5 ReMIX came during the development of Kingdom Hearts III

Read more: KH13.com - Kingdom Hearts - Japan Expo 2013 coverage

KH3 now obviously has been in the pipeline for sometime. The question that I now have is how long has this game been in 'true' or 'full' development for? My guess is not long before e3 so maybe around the time the teaser trailer at e3 was created to showcase/reveal it. This news either way makes me feel more optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back