• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► James Woods Confirms Voice Work on Kingdom Hearts 3

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
[video=youtube;FPmHGf9xrds]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPmHGf9xrds[/video]

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor." - Desmond Tutu

Woods is a horrible, horrible person. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to stop criticising him considering he makes his own personal feelings public.

Square Enix already has Dragon Quest XI and Shadow of the Tomb Raider coming out in September. It is highly unlikely they will throw a third game in there. A niche Japanese series just getting an English release and a Western flagpole game are thankfully different enough but Kingdom Hearts us a flagpole game for Square Enix and will release in both Japanese and English. It needs to be away from other SE games.

Preach!

Y'all already said how I feel...I am low-key glad his voice will be the same as the movies/always. But I don't like him getting a paycheck from something I am purchasing...

But he does always come back, so this was to be expected. It is nice to know English voice-acting is happening for reals. I hope Zachary Levi got his call by now :p

Silver_Soul

Bronze Member
Awards
Mixed feelings. Good for voice recording being underway, but I hope attaching Mr. Woods to this title doesn't affect anything. I've seen a fair amount of boycotts for reasons like this. Was it that Jontron guy in an indie game?

Anyways he's an excellent Hades no doubt, but a person with what seems a bad character. I usually try to disassociate a person's work from their personal views, as we are always bound to disagree with someone.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
Mixed feelings. Good for voice recording being underway, but I hope attaching Mr. Woods to this title doesn't affect anything. I've seen a fair amount of boycotts for reasons like this. Was it that Jontron guy in an indie game?

Anyways he's an excellent Hades no doubt, but a person with what seems a bad character. I usually try to disassociate a person's work from their personal views, as we are always bound to disagree with someone.

I'm not sure if James Woods' controversy is nearly as widespread as Jontron's lol, I feel like not many people even know about Wood's true personality. I guess, maybe because he doesn't make them clear in his work like Jontron did. Just publicly on Twitter... So I wouldn't worry much about a potential boycott... but it could happen?

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I’ve seen someone say this gives them a reason now to not purchase KH3. Whether they follow through with that or not, I don’t know.

Woods has a relatively small part in KH3, but that doesn’t negate the issue. I’m certainly going to feel uncomfortable playing through Olympus.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Were James Wood's controversial beliefs made public recently or have they always been known? . I'm asking because I don't remember people being this uncomfortable when Olympus was confirmed back in 2015.

Last edited:

Reiji

So James Woods confirming that the voice work for KH3 has started tells us two things:

English dubbed E3 trailer. Duh, right? Well... Maybe it was just me, but I was kinda concern on whether we will have an english trailer at e3 or not. I'm still a bit worried about it since the trailer will probably feature Frozen which is likely to be a mid game world, but they could just call Kristen Bell and the gang to just do couple lines just for the trailer. They have like 3 months after all... Anyway, I digress! I believe Square is really aware that to draw casual audiences you must give them that nostalgic & familiar feel that the original Disney English voice work provides, but most importantly...

As far as I'm concern, dubbing is the last part of game development and it starting in the end of Q1 just gives more reassurance on a 2018 release.

This exquisite dish is almost ready to be serve.:biggrin:

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
i hope he drops dead, but not before III’s dev is finished because then the game might be dedicated to him and i would rather kick my own ribs

i guess what i’m saying is, i want to kick james stupid woods in his stupid ribs

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
So James Woods confirming that the voice work for KH3 has started tells us two things:

English dubbed E3 trailer. Duh, right? Well... Maybe it was just me, but I was kinda concern on whether we will have an english trailer at e3 or not. I'm still a bit worried about it since the trailer will probably feature Frozen which is likely to be a mid game world, but they could just call Kristen Bell and the gang to just do couple lines just for the trailer. They have like 3 months after all...
I can not confirm ( ;) ) or deny that voice recording has been going on for a while now.

Would be neat to hear the Frozen actors.

Last edited:

Scorseselover

i hope he drops dead, but not before III’s dev is finished because then the game might be dedicated to him and i would rather kick my own ribs

i guess what i’m saying is, i want to kick james stupid woods in his stupid ribs
Okay you can disagree with whatever he says, but why would you wish someone dead because of that? I disagree with so many celebrities on their viewpoints, but not enough to wish them dead.

Phantom

Good to hear the English voice recording is in progress. I wonder if Master Xehanort's new VA has already been cast?

Alja

Good to hear the English voice recording is in progress. I wonder if Master Xehanort's new VA has already been cast?
I suppose it depends on how many lines he has in the script. Since his Japanese VA passed away closely to Leonard Nimoy, they might have adjusted the script accordingly, giving more lines to the other norts. With less lines to speak, they might get away with a longer time to choose a final VA. If he has lots of lines however, I'd assume he's already been cast.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Were James Wood's controversial beliefs made public recently or have they always been known? . I'm asking because I don't remember people being this uncomfortable when Olympus was confirmed back in 2015.
His actions has stirred up discussions in other threads, such as the VA thread.

The replacement will have been hired by now, yes.

So what were are looking at:

James Woods is in as Hades. It is a good chance that all of the other Hercules VA, minus Danny DeVito, will be back.

Donna Murphy said in 2015 she was ready to voice Mother Gothel for KH3 (this is not confirmation that she went in to record then, but she was ready to step back into the role should they ask). Even though it's been 3 years since then, I imagine she's still game for it. She returned briefly for the television show.

Zachary Levi hasn't given any updates since early Feb when he said he hadn't been asked :). Mandy Moore is silent, as are the Big Hero 6 people and the Pixar VA's but who knows if they got the actual people or stand ins.

We know that Ben Diskin will reprise his role, as will Haley Joel Osment, David Gallagher, Willa Holland, Jesse McCartney, Jason Dohring, James Patrick Stuart, Paul St. Peter, Quinton Flynn and Richard Epcar.

Who knows if it will be Alyson Stoner or Hayden Panettiere voicing Kairi / Xion, or if they get Brittany Snow back for Namine or keep Meaghan Martin in that role (I believe the latter will be more likely). I also think Hayden should get Kairi and Alyson should get Xion.

Square Enix and Disney should release a cast list. Last time they did this was in 2010 for Birth by Sleep, and it was only because they had high profile talent working on the games. Kingdom Hearts 3 deserves the same treatment. It would be horrible to just play a guessing game until the game comes out, or they repeat what happened with Final Fantasy XV and have the main VA announced months before the English cast (and we only learnt of the main characters because they were credited in a movie).

ImVentus

Awards
I had a feeling that this sorta of news would start by the end of March.
Voice recordings could be in the process until latest, July this year.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Glad to see that the forum is at the same consensus regarding James Wood's inclusion. I'm on the same boat, I respect the authenticity of retaining Hades voice, but I too am against James Woods as a person being attached to Kingdom Hearts because he's an awful human being.

At the end of the day, Hades the character is owned by Disney and Disney Animation. He's not James Wood's intellectual property so take solace in that.

Woods has a relatively small part in KH3, but that doesn’t negate the issue. I’m certainly going to feel uncomfortable playing through Olympus.

Think of it this way, you're going to be swinging your Keyblade at James Woods. Can't get any more therapeutic than that.

Cakeberry

His actions has stirred up discussions in other threads, such as the VA thread.

The replacement will have been hired by now, yes.

So what were are looking at:

James Woods is in as Hades. It is a good chance that all of the other Hercules VA, minus Danny DeVito, will be back.

Why wouldn't Danny DeVito be back?

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Why wouldn't Danny DeVito be back?
He has never voiced Phil in the Kingdom Hearts series. In every appearance it has been Robert Costanzo. Costanzo is often the voice stand-in for DeVito, just like Jim Hanks is the voice stand-in for his brother, Tom.

Awards
I'm just throwing this out there, but I kinda wanted the first person to break NDA to be Jesse McCartney for the third time in a row.

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
Hayden probably will return since Nashville done filming as for stoner I could her retun as xion and as Kairi if for some reason can’t do it

you what be funny if zachery levi went to do the va in his shazam outfit

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back