• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Tech ► Digital vs. Disc Format For Media

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Digital Media vs. Disc Format

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Haeralis

Remains of the Judgement
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
So, for things like movies and games, digital format has taken off in recent years through things like Steam. Still though, many people prefer discs for collections sake and for sentimental value. Where do you lie?

Hillboy

MIA
Awards
Music and Movies - Digital
Games - Discs

Not a fan of downloading games. I like to go to the store, survey my options (maybe see some old favorites and get them), talk to the guy over the counter about the next big game, ect.

D

Deleted member 36435

whichever is more convenient for me (read: digital)

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
When it comes to games, I'd rather have a physical copy of the game. The game cases feel like trophies for me. I feel proud going through my collection and sometimes reminisce about how much fun I had with a certain game.

When it comes to movies, I like to have both. It pisses me off when movies don't come out in Blu-Ray combo packs (ie, DVD, Blu-Ray, and Digital version).

When it comes to music, idgaf. Digital all the way.

Last edited:

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I like discs, but I like how easy accessible digital is.But yeah, discs

Weeaboo

Kawaii Queen
Awards
Website
www.subeta.net
Discs are good for awhile.
Then they get all scratched up.
So then, you go out and buy another copy to replace the old, scratched one.
It's a crime, really.

Haeralis

Remains of the Judgement
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
When it comes to games, I'd rather have a physical copy of the game. The game cases feel like trophies for me. I feel proud going through my collection and sometimes reminisce about how much fun I had with a certain game.

When it comes to movies, I like to have both. It pisses me off when movies don't come out in Blu-Ray combo packs (ie, DVD, Blu-Ray, and Digital version).

When it comes to music, idgaf. Digital all the way.

This. That sentimental value!

It's a crime, really.

Just take care of your discs and it wont even be a problem. I can't remember breaking a disc of mine.

Hillboy

MIA
Awards
Digital means it could be easily illegaly downloaded, which could be good or bad depending on your moral compass

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Disks for games and movies. I usually make a digital copy of my movies on my computer after I get the, anyways, so I like having both just in case I lose the disk or the file gets deleted.

Music I prefer as digital because I can always find a song.

Hillboy

MIA
Awards
Disks for games and movies. I usually make a digital copy of my movies on my computer after I get the, anyways, so I like having both just in case I lose the disk or the file gets deleted.

Music I prefer as digital because I can always find a song.

That's something else I forgot to mention, in theory if you download all these things legally and your hardrive gets a virus or crashes a great amount of money you spent goes down the drain. I know if I lost everything that I had it would be thousands of dollars.
(But I torrented most of my stuff so it wouldn't really be that much more like 100 bucks)
But like I said if you do have that much legally it would be very bad

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
Really, I'm fine with either. Depends on what I'm using a lot of the time.

With PC, I prefer to just get games off of Steam. But, when it comes to consoles or handhelds, physical copies just appeal to me more because there is no dealing with downloading, deleting, then later redownloading games.

With music, I mostly get digital form, because most music I like isn't really available at any local record stores, so I wind up pirating (iTunes and other digital music distributors don't deserve my money with how they treat artists.) I'd probably buy more music if they did their business in a way Steam does. I do get physical albums though if I run into them and have the money.

Movies, really don't give a fuck. I don't buy many movies because good movies these days are rare. Usually physical copies though.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
It's a crime, really.
We have video rental stores that take any discs of yours with scratches, and fixes it. It takes like 3 minutes and costs 5 bucks.Or we could just buy the cream and cloth from Sanity and do it ourselves xD

Shinjuku

Entrapment
Agreed with Forever Atlas and The Hero's Hat.

I think the only reason I prefer music digital over physical is the bad experiences I've had buying Music CD's not with people, but sometimes albums are so awful. Where you have a major artist that has 14 songs, but only 3 or 4 of them are good that sucks cause I could have spent money on something better.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
I prefer a disc. It's the collector in me and the fact that it's much more reliable than a file that can get permanently lost at any given moment. Also, I feel proud looking at my collector's editions over the file on my consoles.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
I'm becoming much more open to digital formats for just about anything. I think it's convenient, wastes less resources, is generally less expensive than physical media and carries much more of an instant gratification factor.

On the other hand, I still can't get on board with e-books (in particular I just can not bring myself to read digital comics), and there are some music artists for whom I just have to collect physical CDs or I don't feel right with myself. Oh, pathologies.

King Sora X

Legendary Member
Awards
Here's how I look at it.

For road trips, I like to have discs for music, and if I'm on a plane, and i don't have my laptop or anything of the sort, then movies in disc form also comes in handy. I especially like to have the discs cause I can actually say I own them in physicial form and not just digital. This applies to video games more. Like DrHellboy, I prefer to have games in physical/disc form rather than digital. There's always a chance that whatever your downloading it to that it could overheat. :<

Now onto my thoughts for Digital. To get strait to the point, I prefer digital for a casual listen or watching. Like if I'm up at night, and there's nothing to do, I like how it's real easy to just download a few albums, and listen to them on the spot. This is the same with movies or even with Netflix or anything that is portable and right on the spot. Digital formats works for me mainly when I'm working out or going for a stroll. I just pop in my earbuds, and let the music carry me like the wind carries my hair~ :3

Awards
I've always been a huge advocate of moving toward digital. My music is all electronically cataloged, every book I've read in the last few years has been on my iPad (and I find myself reading way, way more as a result), I'm an avid Netflix user, and whenever possible I like to directly download the games I play. Whether you're on board with it or not, digital media is the direction that every industry is taking.

ROXAS_32

Lobo Solitario
Awards
Website
www.twitter.com
I prefer physical format but if there is an option for a digital packed with it i go for that.. the last few Blurays i brought came with a digital copy as well. (other wise i make my own digital backup)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back