• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Become a Superhero With Big Hero 6 in Kingdom Hearts III

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
Pretty great trailer overall, I've been hyped for San Fransokyo for the longest time. It amazes me to no end how they managed to slip in so much important stuff into this trailer.

By looking at the details I noticed immediately that: Sora has a new drive form; the bugs from re: coded make their return (truly have all the enemy types in this game); Xigbar's in Twilight Town for some reason; what is unfortunately looking to be like a norted Xion (the scenes leading up to it imply this to be the case); Lingering Will/ Master Xehanort? (I couldn't catch that); Sora vs. the world (chessboard); and Aqua's mangled and warped body (which sorta reminds me of the the shadows from Persona 5... Anyone else think so too?)

Everything about the graphics were pretty on point (though you can tell they're still working on Big Hero 6 a bit), and I love the character interactions (seriously Hiro's animations look fantastic)! I also loved getting to see Vanitas talk trash, though i'm not too thrilled about the implications.

Speaking of which, the only implications I honestly can't say, in good faith, I liked were Xionnort(?) and Sora potentially fighting everyone on his own (there were at least five white chess pieces shown to be out of commission). Was I the only one who was rubbed the wrong way by that last idea? It feels redundant for Sora to be taking on even the majority of them by himself. I mean, I guess everyone just got norted right(?), lol. As for Xion, you can imagine why I'm pretty upset with this (especially if you saw my rant on Aquanort, not that I was proud of it), so I'll just propose a few questions regarding that dilemma (to nobody in particular). Why? What purpose does it serve for the specific story & narrative of a character that was selfless enough to effectively commit suicide and erase everyone's memories of her? That's arguably a fate worse than death already. Furthermore, she already experienced being a "puppet" (at least in the eye's of everyone except her friends) of the organization for literally the entirety of her existence, and in the end she painfully ended up fighting both of her best and only friends. What is even this scenario if not a repeat of her story, aside from the fact that this time she could really be a slave?

Anyway, that about sums up my thoughts. I really hope we get more soon!

Last edited:

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I’m pretty sure that piece you have as Luxord is actually Xigbar. His attribute is Space. Those aren’t Dice, they’re just regular 3 Dimensional cubes.
I didn't notice before that there were no pips so maybe? But cubes feel too...vague to be Xigbar? The other pieces shown are pretty obvious who they belong too, except maybe the one I labeled Marluxia's, but given the flower-like shape and placement right next to Larxene's it's a good guess.

At this point, the cubes could very well be bug blocks or pixels.

kingsoraful

Awards
So do we think there will be another Disney world reveal in the longer trailer? Since they revealed BH6 in this one?

My fingers are crossed for The Jungle Book or Princess and the Frog and then TJB at Jump Festa.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
So do we think there will be another Disney world reveal in the longer trailer? Since they revealed BH6 in this one?

My fingers are crossed for The Jungle Book or Princess and the Frog and then TJB at Jump Festa.

It would follow their tactics from E3, which had a world reveal trailer followed by a trailer that expanded upon the previous one, then a third trailer with another new world. I mean, they’ve gotta do something with those 50 minutes of stage time and I hope it isn’t another Toy Box/Olympus demo playthrough.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Aqua doesn't have to be norted / fallen to darkness to present a challenge. Getting into the realm of darkness won't be easy, finding her won't be easy, surviving there won't be easy, getting out won't be easy and it will be hard for her to hear what has become of her friends and the world and there was even a whole game about her hardships and people still think "it shouldn't be so easy to get her", like what? Personally, I think it's much more fulfilling to choose a few of the hurting squad and give them a chance to get back at Xehanort for all the things he has done to them in one way or the other and fight for what they lost or what they want to regain. Having Sora / Riku / Kairi / Mickey go against everyone else because every important character might've suddenly got norted and saving them by beating them all up even though it should be up to the hurting squad to reclaim their place doesn't sound very thrilling to me.
Yes, all of this. Characters like Aqua and Xion and Ven have way more potential for growth and a meaningful contribution to the story as protagonists with agency, free will and the drive to right the wrongs in their arcs than as just more villain fodder for Sora or whoever to purify and turn back to the light at the last minute. Which is exactly what we know is going to happen, so there's no dramatic intrigue to it. All it really represents is a way for Nomura to sideline these characters for large portions of the game and neglect his due diligence to develop their arcs in a big way for the final game in this saga, which diminishes the value of KH3 as an installment. Did you really like fighting as Aqua and form a strong connection to her character over the course of BBS and 0.2? Welllll too bad, you'll see fleeting glimpses of her for 90% of KH3 and then she'll be a good guy again for five minutes and all the bad things she did under the influence of darkness will be instantly forgotten and forgiven. Her being a Darkness is a narrative gimmick, nothing more-- I don't expect to be permanently changed or affected as a character, so I have no reason to feel invested in her fall to darkness.

People complain that it would have been too predictable and "easy" for Riku and Mickey to simply bring Aqua back from the RoD (despite all the factors you brought up) but for whatever reason Nomura using the same exact tactic over and over and recreating the exact same existential stakes for everyone in this game is challenging and fresh? It was one thing when it was Isa and Terra who actually have something to gain as characters from their battle with the darkness and Xehanort's influence; indeed, they have arcs steeped in that primary conflict which need to be brought to closure in a satisfying manner. But Darkness loses a lot of its symbolic potential when its hosts seem to be just a random grab bag of anybody for whatever reasons. Why not just throw in Ansem the Wise, or hell, make Goofy a Darkness? That would be soooo unpredictable y'all.

EDIT: If Aquanort is a thing, I don't believe it was planned because 0.2 ended on a generally positive note and the whole game was about Aqua facing her darkness and while admitting doubt and chasing illusions, ultimately regaining hope and deciding what's worth fighting for. She has survived there un-darknessed and un-norted for twelve years, so making her into a Nort just one year before she is going to be saved and even giving her a companion to talk to (even if not the best one) would feel kinda unnatural to me. So, currently it still feels like a shock value thing to me and I'm not really pleased with that.
Yeah, it's pretty convenient that she *finally* lost the light as she was on the brink of potentially getting out of the RoD (I actually think she ought to have escaped much earlier with AtW, but that's another conversation). If Nomura wanted to make this convincing? He would have chosen a different course in 0.2, actively depicted Aqua losing her light bit by bit and ended it with her succumbing. That would have been a valid cliffhanger which would possibly help place her arc in KH3 into perspective. Instead it's this wishy washy noncommittal symbolism that gets him into trouble, because he can't in one breath invoke the "light in the darkness" mantra that underscores the entire series and then out of the other side of his mouth try to convince us that was all just talk this whole time.

The prospect of the BBS and Days characters finally joining the fray on the right side, meaning on Sora's, has been certainly teased and used as a possible hook for the audience ever since Blank Points in BBS back in 2010 so people expecting somewhat of a follow up on this is very understandable, as is the notion of not wanting this happening only with a few cameo appearances in the final battle.
Exactly: this is pretty much the entire justification for KH3's existence vis-a-vis every other title we were expected to play and every character we were expected to become familiar with and attached to over the course of the saga. Again, it would be one thing if these characters were somehow going to get powerful, emotionally strong storylines out of this, but that's not what's happening. More than likely, Xion and Aqua and whoever else will be reduced to having about the same impact on the plot as Luxord or Larxene, and possibly even less than characters like Vanitas, Xemnas and Ansem SoD-- because unlike with those characters, Nomura has to play keep-away with the Darknesses he doesn't want Sora and co. to meet too early for the ~dramatic~ impact. It also diminishes the story's capacity to bring characters like Terra and Isa into focus and give them especially powerful redemptive arcs, which is what they deserve: instead they'll just be two more bad guys in need of rescuing, assuming Terra is even a Darkness at this point.

would you rather everyone getting saved so easily that makes Sora going on this adventure pointless

or

everyone Sora has to save he has to fight be unfulfilling because why not try to make the Seekers a threat?
That's simply a false dichotomy. The Seekers and the darkness are not the only threats or obstacles KH can pursue in order to complicate the narrative. Just bringing Xion back in any way, shape or form should be a massive and perhaps even perilous undertaking given the extent to which she is tangled up in other peoples' memories: remember when CoM spent an entire game barely even mentioning the word "darkness" (Reverse/Rebirth notwithstanding) and instead created compelling drama using the emotions and memories of our main protagonists against them? Because it doesn't look like Nomura does.

But Aqua falling to darkness? Succumbing to everything she was holding back in 0.2? It makes sense for Aqua to have fallen eventually. This is the dark realm. THE Dark Realm. Every light eventually get snuffed out, Aqua is not a special case no matter how much we love her. She admitted she had cracks in her heart and the darkness found a way in and repeatedly tried to die at least 3 times now
Not going to rehash this whole argument, just going to say it's not that there isn't an in-world logic to her falling, but its justification is weak and I don't believe the returns we will get on it are going to deliver for her as a character. Obviously within the RoD it's possible for someone to fall prey to darkness, but Nomura could have used 0.2 to advance that narrative instead of playing it in exactly the opposite direction and once a character's resolve has been given the kind of grounding Aqua's was given in 0.2 (i.e. literally the embodiment of the series' core philosophy; yes, I get that she was sad and depressed in portions but playing that up selectively in order to justify a plot twist is just as bad as ignoring it altogether) it's pretty cheap and underhanded to dismantle that set-up in as shrugging a manner as Nomura looks to be doing it. What is the message we're supposed to take away from this? "Actually, there's not always a light in the darkness, it just kind of depends on how Nomura is feeling about the plot that day lol."

Saying “everyone is norted” is an exaggeration. Only Terra, Aqua, and most likely Xion. Who’s to say those 3 won’t get a chance to get back at Xehanort?
Ven will be effectively Norted if Vanitas gains access to his body. Also can't rule out Roxas as a Darkness yet. The point is that you can only pull the same stunt so many times before it becomes routine. We jumped that shark during E3.

Just because they’re norted now it doesn’t seal their fate the whole game. They could be turned back around/before the climax or after the X-blades forging.
Which means all that valuable time they could have been developed during the rest of the game, y'know, had interactions and formed or reestablished relationships with the rest of the main cast, has been lost. That's the damage. We all know they're going to get rescued, but if there's nothing to get excited for after that, what's the point? So they can cameo as assist characters during the last big fight? Even that's speculative at this point, and not the extent of what I want to see out of main characters like Aqua and Xion.

Aquanort not being a thing would be Shock value. Having people think Aqua was norted in a trailer than being all “Psych” in game would have been done just to get people’s attention and also a massive troll move.
It wouldn't be "shock value," it would be a normal red herring. KH trailers are generally full of them. I don't like them either, but I'd rather see Aqua get the development she deserves than see the final game maintain fealty to bad plot elements introduced in marketing material.

Sdog

Awards

Whenever a Disney world has been revealed it's always been it's own dedicated trailer. Seeing as the full trailer we are getting on the 18th is dedicated to BH6 I don't see anything getting announced through that until the stage show on the 22nd.

I'm betting the 18th trailer will have whoever the darkness is for the world, a glimpse at a boss, and some context to the end clips on this trailer. While the stage show, if it receives a new trailer, will showcase a new world in some capacity.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
It would follow their tactics from E3, which had a world reveal trailer followed by a trailer that expanded upon the previous one, then a third trailer with another new world. I mean, they’ve gotta do something with those 50 minutes of stage time and I hope it isn’t another Toy Box/Olympus demo playthrough.

They already confirmed a new trailer along with the demo though for TGS.

kingsoraful

Awards
BTW do we take those chess pieces to mean there's 2-3 more Disney Worlds to go. Demyx and Saix definitely have chess pieces on the board and I imagine Xionhort or Aquanort will have one as well.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
They already confirmed a new trailer along with the demo though for TGS.

We have one already and then the extended one on the 18th. I’m not sure where it has been confirmed that there will be a trailer outside of that, but SE’s TGS website only says that the latest information will be revealed at the stage event. That is likely in the form of a trailer, but there’s no guarantee. They could just use these two trailers as topics of discussion. I’m pretty confident there will be a third trailer, but not enough to bank on it.

Awards
We have one already and then the extended one on the 18th. I’m not sure where it has been confirmed that there will be a trailer outside of that, but SE’s TGS website only says that the latest information will be revealed at the stage event. That is likely in the form of a trailer, but there’s no guarantee. They could just use these two trailers as topics of discussion. I’m pretty confident there will be a third trailer, but not enough to bank on it.

Yeah, i'm 100% with you on this. I think they will use the same strategy as the E3.

The way they have been promoting the game and announcing worlds there's only Paris Game Week and Jump Festa Left and Nomura stated that there's more then one Disney World left to be announced so... lol

I think we will see a new world at the conference and a final announcement in PGW or Jump Festa :)

Anyways, really looking forward for anything they give us... But rooting for a boxart reveal at the conference as well lol

UltimaXOmega

Xion as the Seeker for San Fransokyo is one of the things I've wanted most. It would make up for only one party member and having no NPCs.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I'm thinking Aqua was norted for the sake of getting her to reestablish LoD as a world in order to utilize Ven's body to reborn Vanitas. And as always, Xehanort will continue to see her as an eternal plan B in case.

OathkeeperRoxas XIII

Silver Member
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Yes, all of this. Characters like Aqua and Xion and Ven have way more potential for growth and a meaningful contribution to the story as protagonists with agency, free will and the drive to right the wrongs in their arcs than as just more villain fodder for Sora or whoever to purify and turn back to the light at the last minute. Which is exactly what we know is going to happen, so there's no dramatic intrigue to it. All it really represents is a way for Nomura to sideline these characters for large portions of the game and neglect his due diligence to develop their arcs in a big way for the final game in this saga, which diminishes the value of KH3 as an installment. Did you really like fighting as Aqua and form a strong connection to her character over the course of BBS and 0.2? Welllll too bad, you'll see fleeting glimpses of her for 90% of KH3 and then she'll be a good guy again for five minutes and all the bad things she did under the influence of darkness will be instantly forgotten and forgiven. Her being a Darkness is a narrative gimmick, nothing more-- I don't expect to be permanently changed or affected as a character, so I have no reason to feel invested in her fall to darkness.

People complain that it would have been too predictable and "easy" for Riku and Mickey to simply bring Aqua back from the RoD (despite all the factors you brought up) but for whatever reason Nomura using the same exact tactic over and over and recreating the exact same existential stakes for everyone in this game is challenging and fresh? It was one thing when it was Isa and Terra who actually have something to gain as characters from their battle with the darkness and Xehanort's influence; indeed, they have arcs steeped in that primary conflict which need to be brought to closure in a satisfying manner. But Darkness loses a lot of its symbolic potential when its hosts seem to be just a random grab bag of anybody for whatever reasons. Why not just throw in Ansem the Wise, or hell, make Goofy a Darkness? That would be soooo unpredictable y'all.

Yeah, it's pretty convenient that she *finally* lost the light as she was on the brink of potentially getting out of the RoD (I actually think she ought to have escaped much earlier with AtW, but that's another conversation). If Nomura wanted to make this convincing? He would have chosen a different course in 0.2, actively depicted Aqua losing her light bit by bit and ended it with her succumbing. That would have been a valid cliffhanger which would possibly help place her arc in KH3 into perspective. Instead it's this wishy washy noncommittal symbolism that gets him into trouble, because he can't in one breath invoke the "light in the darkness" mantra that underscores the entire series and then out of the other side of his mouth try to convince us that was all just talk this whole time.

Exactly: this is pretty much the entire justification for KH3's existence vis-a-vis every other title we were expected to play and every character we were expected to become familiar with and attached to over the course of the saga. Again, it would be one thing if these characters were somehow going to get powerful, emotionally strong storylines out of this, but that's not what's happening. More than likely, Xion and Aqua and whoever else will be reduced to having about the same impact on the plot as Luxord or Larxene, and possibly even less than characters like Vanitas, Xemnas and Ansem SoD-- because unlike with those characters, Nomura has to play keep-away with the Darknesses he doesn't want Sora and co. to meet too early for the ~dramatic~ impact. It also diminishes the story's capacity to bring characters like Terra and Isa into focus and give them especially powerful redemptive arcs, which is what they deserve: instead they'll just be two more bad guys in need of rescuing, assuming Terra is even a Darkness at this point.

That's simply a false dichotomy. The Seekers and the darkness are not the only threats or obstacles KH can pursue in order to complicate the narrative. Just bringing Xion back in any way, shape or form should be a massive and perhaps even perilous undertaking given the extent to which she is tangled up in other peoples' memories: remember when CoM spent an entire game barely even mentioning the word "darkness" (Reverse/Rebirth notwithstanding) and instead created compelling drama using the emotions and memories of our main protagonists against them? Because it doesn't look like Nomura does.

Not going to rehash this whole argument, just going to say it's not that there isn't an in-world logic to her falling, but its justification is weak and I don't believe the returns we will get on it are going to deliver for her as a character. Obviously within the RoD it's possible for someone to fall prey to darkness, but Nomura could have used 0.2 to advance that narrative instead of playing it in exactly the opposite direction and once a character's resolve has been given the kind of grounding Aqua's was given in 0.2 (i.e. literally the embodiment of the series' core philosophy; yes, I get that she was sad and depressed in portions but playing that up selectively in order to justify a plot twist is just as bad as ignoring it altogether) it's pretty cheap and underhanded to dismantle that set-up in as shrugging a manner as Nomura looks to be doing it. What is the message we're supposed to take away from this? "Actually, there's not always a light in the darkness, it just kind of depends on how Nomura is feeling about the plot that day lol."

Ven will be effectively Norted if Vanitas gains access to his body. Also can't rule out Roxas as a Darkness yet. The point is that you can only pull the same stunt so many times before it becomes routine. We jumped that shark during E3.

Which means all that valuable time they could have been developed during the rest of the game, y'know, had interactions and formed or reestablished relationships with the rest of the main cast, has been lost. That's the damage. We all know they're going to get rescued, but if there's nothing to get excited for after that, what's the point? So they can cameo as assist characters during the last big fight? Even that's speculative at this point, and not the extent of what I want to see out of main characters like Aqua and Xion.

It wouldn't be "shock value," it would be a normal red herring. KH trailers are generally full of them. I don't like them either, but I'd rather see Aqua get the development she deserves than see the final game maintain fealty to bad plot elements introduced in marketing material.

Or maybe this is a good way for those who were used by Xehanort or used again to grow afterwards, find their path like Riku did, it might not sound great, but no one is safe and it sounds like the high standards Aqua, Ven, Terra and oddly Xion now, has because they can't be a vessel.

I want characters to get development, but we can't all get what we what.

Awards
Duplicated, i'm sorry.
rip.gif

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
Yeah, the way I am seeing it now, we will get this full trailer the 18th and then a brand new one with a new world during the show.

Yeah...I mean I feel like I am not as appalled by all this as you are, or rather I think I'm just accepting it/getting over it since E3, but this isn't the direction I wanted this to go at all either. All these characters having little to no agency and just needing even more saving is meh, they could have made other conflicts that allowed at least some of these characters to get the story relevancy they deserved instead of just being cheap drama that will all be erased by the end of the game. And yeah. Now we won't get to see them do anything as their actual selves till the next saga which is even meh-er.

UltimaXOmega

My predictions for the the future. I think the last Lights are Roxas and Terra, as for Seekers, I'll say Xion and Demyx. Vanitas is using Ventus's body and the scene of him in The Land of Departure is Ventus taking over and causing Vanitas to feel. Lastly, I predict Princess and The Frog with Demyx as the Seeker and a Pixar world with Saix as the Seeker.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I'm thinking Aqua was norted for the sake of getting her to reestablish LoD as a world in order to utilize Ven's body to reborn Vanitas. And as always, Xehanort will continue to see her as an eternal plan B in case.
If that's the case that would beg the question of when it happened. Xehanort had eleven hooded figures at the end of DDD and we saw Castle Oblivion and Ventus intact during the after credits scene.

kingsoraful

Awards
Final Disney World will be revealed at Jump Festa it's the last "big" event before the game comes out and in past KH titles they've revealed big things at Jump Festa.

I believe that at Jump Festa is where Lion King was revealed for KH2 in the magazine.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Yeah...I mean I feel like I am not as appalled by all this as you are, or rather I think I'm just accepting it/getting over it since E3, but this isn't the direction I wanted this to go at all either. All these characters having little to no agency and just needing even more saving is meh, they could have made other conflicts that allowed at least some of these characters to get the story relevancy they deserved instead of just being cheap drama that will all be erased by the end of the game. And yeah. Now we won't get to see them do anything as their actual selves till the next saga which is even meh-er.

I wouldn't exactly call my current stance and mood "appalled", more like somewhat disappointed that my skeptical assessments right now seem to get true after all.
I mean we're still in trailer territory with just disjointed snippets so there is still room for misinterpretation and actual red herrings, but the prospect of several characters getting no agency and actual attention to their own characterisation and instead being just used as puppets of the big bad with their suffering extended for drama points isn't very appealing.

The imagery of the chessboard is also pointing in the same direction yet again with the other original characters being just cannon fodder for the villains to get defeated and add even more to the drama pile with Sora alone yet again doing everything like a overpowered shounen hero.
Even if the other characters somehow get back into the fray through some magic super-raise spell, KH shenanigans or whatever it won't do much beyond them becoming the already mentioned final battle cameo, possibly garnished with the usual cheesy "friendship and hope"-speech and everyone transferring their power to Sora instead of actually getting something to do themselves.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Final Disney World will be revealed at Jump Festa it's the last "big" event before the game comes out and in past KH titles they've revealed big things at Jump Festa.

I believe that at Jump Festa is where Lion King was revealed for KH2 in the magazine.

Is this official news or just speculation on your end?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back