• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Tetsuya Nomura interview with Famitsu!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

Series creator Tetsuya Nomura has been on a media frenzy lately. Famitsu have released an interview they had with Mr. Nomura about Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III. This is the third interview today from Nomura, following the Square Enix Presents interviews. Thanks to Goldpanner, you can read the translations below!

—We were surprised that you would release a KHIII trailer so soon, what with KH 3D [Dream Drop Distance] (hereon KH3D) and KH -1.5 HD ReMIX- still so recent.

Nomura: I know there are many fans who are restless because we have only released spin off titles since KHII, so I decided to announce it along with FFXV. Looking at the stage of development, though, I do think perhaps it is a bit early to be announcing it.

—However, it does seem like the visuals already have a solid direction.

Nomura: Among the developers we are calling the visuals ‘Kingdom Shader’. On original worlds, this is the feel the characters will have. The Shader will adjust depending on the world, so the visuals will match with the style of each Disney World.

—Like FFXV, is KHIII being developed on Luminous Studios?

Nomura: At present, we are going with Luminous as our main and undergoing investigations. The porting to both PS4 and Xbox One, working by overengineering, is the same. For the section of battle in the trailer we showed, we didn’t have time to prepare a clip of it working on the existing equipment because of tool issues, so instead we made an FMV that would give a feel for what is possible in realtime. Even so, the way it moves doesn’t look much different at all in realtime.

—Please tell us how the action in KHIII will have evolved.

Nomura: Right now there’s a demo version that works on our existing equipment… and it’s an absolute storm (laughs). It goes even beyond ‘bold action’. In KHIII you will have a three person party, but depending on the world NPCs will also join in fighting, basically, we’re developing some very flashy action. You’ll be flying through the sky unfolding into air battles without landing.

—Just with Sora (laughs).

Nomura: I suppose so (laughs). The enemy AI is becoming rather elaborate, and we’d like for coordinated action to flow from enemies and allies alike. For example, there’s a vehicle-type enemy, and we’ve already got Sora being able to ride that enemy all around during battle.

—Lastly, a message for your fans.

Nomura: FFXV and KHIII are projects that exist as great rival projects that polish each other up as they are developed. At our private conference, despite KHIII being the lucky last and being at a low stage of development, I’m aleady feeling a response. For KHIII, developments unseen in the KH series so far involving online elements are under investigation, so please look forward to upcoming news. This year in Japan we will be exhibiting at Tokyo Game Show and at Disney’s D23 Expo Japan event, so I think there will be more information available around those times.

Mirby

Too many games too little time
Awards
Website
twitch.tv
there’s a vehicle-type enemy, and we’ve already got Sora being able to ride that enemy all around during battle.

fun! seriously that sounds like so much fun!

also more info at TGS confirmed :D

Bobjam

Awards
Wow sounds all amazing (apart from it clearly being so early on in development =( ) Glad he confirmed that more news will be coming at TGS this year which is fantastic, he is usually so secretive about whether things will show or not. At this point I just want to see more gameplay and visuals so so badly!

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Nomura: I know there are many fans who are restless because we have only released spin off titles since KHII, so I decided to announce it along with FFXV. Looking at the stage of development, though, I do think perhaps it is a bit early to be announcing it.
God damn it Nomura!

Nomura: Among the developers we are calling the visuals ‘Kingdom Shader’. On original worlds, this is the feel the characters will have. The Shader will adjust depending on the world, so the visuals will match with the style of each Disney World.
I'm just taking this to mean if a world is bright (like Destiny Islands), the characters will be bright. If the world is dark, the characters will be darker. No more Port Royal problems.

For the section of battle in the trailer we showed, we didn’t have time to prepare a clip of it working on the existing equipment because of tool issues, so instead we made an FMV that would give a feel for what is possible in realtime. Even so, the way it moves doesn’t look much different at all in realtime.
You better not be lying to me Nomura. If you can get gameplay to look like that in realtime then ;A;

Nomura: Right now there’s a demo version that works on our existing equipment… and it’s an absolute storm (laughs). It goes even beyond ‘bold action’. In KHIII you will have a three person party, but depending on the world NPCs will also join in fighting, basically, we’re developing some very flashy action. You’ll be flying through the sky unfolding into air battles without landing.
Everyones hopes for a 4 person party are gone. BUT FLYING THROUGH SKY UNFOLDING INTO AIR BATTLES WITHOUT LANDING? YES PLEASE.

The enemy AI is becoming rather elaborate, and we’d like for coordinated action to flow from enemies and allies alike. For example, there’s a vehicle-type enemy, and we’ve already got Sora being able to ride that enemy all around during battle
Glad to see they've already got some new Heartless/enemies coming in! A car this time... Cars world?

FFXV and KHIII are projects that exist as great rival projects that polish each other up as they are developed. At our private conference, despite KHIII being the lucky last and being at a low stage of development, I’m aleady feeling a response. For KHIII, developments unseen in the KH series so far involving online elements are under investigation, so please look forward to upcoming news. This year in Japan we will be exhibiting at Tokyo Game Show and at Disney’s D23 Expo Japan event, so I think there will be more information available around those times.
Looking forward to some more KHIII at those events!

Thanks Nomura <3

Also, I think there will be more info on June 20th. Maybe screenshots. I dunno.

Bobjam

Awards
God damn it Nomura!

Thanks Nomura <3

Also, I think there will be more info on June 20th. Maybe screenshots. I dunno.

Oh damn....I really hope so ! =D Don't think it will be anything new though, maybe another shot of the logo and some screen caps from the demo teaser most likely.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
What I don't get is why Nomura contradicts himself with calling the handheld titles "spin-offs", as he himself stressed just how important at least BBS and DDD are, lol.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Yeah I'm expecting just screens from the trailer. But we shall always remain hopeful! ;A;

Bobjam

Awards
What I don't get is why Nomura contradicts himself with calling the handheld titles "spin-offs", as he himself stressed just how important at least BBS and DDD are, lol.

I think its ok if he has had a change of perspective on those games. I mean look where he is now compared to where he was post kh2. He is directing and in charge of pretty much two of Square's biggest games ever revealed so I think he realises the immense importance and depth of these titles compared to what he was doing before. Also just because he does use the term 'spin-off title' does not necessarily mean he is devaluing their importance =). KH3 just really is such a big deal compared to those games and he has probably waited so so long to admit anything about the game so.

RuffPuff

Filthy Turnip
Awards
Ooh, more info coming up~ I was thinking it'd be like Versus; we get told it's being made then don't hear anything for a long time.

I noticed that, too. xD

Mirby

Too many games too little time
Awards
Website
twitch.tv
i think he meant it as in "restless fans who see them as spin-offs"

possibly in sarcastic manner

also re: car enemies
Hot_Rod_TR_KHII.png

axel95

Awards
Mr. Nomura has been pretty busy it seems. Well, it sucks about the game being so early in development, but if we can get real time gameplay that looks like that......wow, just.....WOW!!!!!!!

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards

Know that a written interview is still written by someone other than the person who's being interviewed. Combine that with the interview being translated, I'd say there's a high possibility of having a "misunderstanding" along the way. Thing is, he could also refer to them as "spin-offs" just for the sake of everyone being able to understand which games he's talking about (being specifically: BBS, Re:Coded and Days). Or he could've said the actual titles in the interview, but the interviewer just chose to write "spin-offs" because it's shorter.

A lot of possible scenarios. In short: I wouldn't be bothered too much.

Anyways, GODDAMNIT Nomura, why are you announcing a game "a bit early"? You should've learned by now..

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
i think he meant it as in "restless fans who see them as spin-offs"

possibly in sarcastic manner

also re: car enemies
Hot_Rod_TR_KHII.png

That's also a possibility, lol.

Oh gosh, I hated that Heartless in KH2. Not because it was that dangerous, but because it going invincible would drag out the battle. I made sure to always have some MP left to fry them with Thunder magic after that.

EDIT:
Know that a written interview is still written by someone other than the person who's being interviewed. Combine that with the interview being translated, I'd say there's a high possibility of having a "misunderstanding" along the way. Thing is, he could also refer to them as "spin-offs" just for the sake of everyone being able to understand which games he's talking about (being specifically: BBS, Re:Coded and Days). Or he could've said the actual titles in the interview, but the interviewer just chose to write "spin-offs" because it's shorter.

A lot of possible scenarios. In short: I wouldn't be bothered too much.

Anyways, GODDAMNIT Nomura, why are you announcing a game "a bit early"? You should've learned by now..

I wasn't bothered by it per se, I just noticed the discrepancy and found it a tad amusing. ;)

Last edited:

Lnds500

Bronze Member
Awards
Excellent interview! When he mentions Luminous Studios he means the Luminous Engine right? Or is that an actual studio?

I also believe it's bad form to refer to them as "spin-offs". I don't believe he thinks of them that way, not in terms of story or combat, but in scale, budget etc. Still, it comes off extremely wrong.

Nova

Love the fact that they don't plan on making us wait until next E3 for more info :D

Ban Mido

Kissing the skies.
I sometimes end up being more confused when I read one of Nomura's interviews. This is one of those times. It sounds like that they are taking what they've had with the previous two games and are building on that.

I think they are just using "spin-offs" to refer to any game that isn't a direct numbered sequal is all. Nothing all that bad about it.

Lost_theMad

NPCs? Did he just say there will be NPCs? If so, that is great! Not sure how I feel about the "air battle" stuff. I wasn't a big fan of the mechanics in kh2 with all the aerial fighting. Battles entirely air-driven... Just not sure how that'd work. Guess I'll just have to wait and see

Ban Mido

Kissing the skies.
NPCs? Did he just say there will be NPCs? If so, that is great! Not sure how I feel about the "air battle" stuff. I wasn't a big fan of the mechanics in kh2 with all the aerial fighting. Battles entirely air-driven... Just not sure how that'd work. Guess I'll just have to wait and see

Ummmm, any chartacter not controlled by you would be an NPC, so any character that's not Sora. It's nothing new. The previous games had world natives join the party too.

wolfshadow

So don't know if this is the same interview that was recently added to the news section, but reading it a few things have caught my interest:

Nomura said he wanted to implement more surprising worlds and he always wanted to have Jungle Book as a world. Will jungle book finally be a world in kh3?

He also said kh3's battle system will be like kh1 and2's , with a slight mix of the command decks (which is awesome!)

Then he said disney characters won't be the only summons, maybe ff characters will be, since he mentioned more FF characters will come back.

BagelBreath

Awards
Kingdom Shader makes me sad. D:
Couldn't they just change art styles depending on the world, rather than just shaders? Or is that too much work?
Worlds based on animated movies could use the cel shaded art style, and others could use the style they've used in all the other games.
Anyways, looking forward to TGS, even though anything KH3 related will probably be minor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back