• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Tetsuya Nomura interview with Famitsu!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
Yeah, a spin-off is like the wolverine movies, or dissidia, or Legend of Korra. Rooted in the original but otherwise unrelated plot.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Yeah, a spin-off is like the wolverine movies, or dissidia, or Legend of Korra. Rooted in the original but otherwise unrelated plot.
Lol, no. The Wolverine movies are basically like 358/2 Days, where they showcase a main character and elaborate on their story. Also, Legend of Korra is a sequel.

Obviously Nomura wasn't intending to insult the portable entries by calling them "spinoffs" as he's defended their importance and relevance many, many times (particularly Chain of Memories, Birth by Sleep and Dream Drop Distance).

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
Lol, no. The Wolverine movies are basically like 358/2 Days, where they showcase a main character and elaborate on their story. Also, Legend of Korra is a sequel.

Obviously Nomura wasn't intending to insult the portable entries by calling them "spinoffs" as he's defended their importance and relevance many, many times (particularly Chain of Memories, Birth by Sleep and Dream Drop Distance).
"Lol, no." correct me however you see fit, I'm open to the possibility of being wrong on just about anything, but it kinda hurts my feelings when someone starts a post like that. Yeah I'm oversensitive that way.

I never thought of korra as a direct sequel though. and I'm far from the first to call it a spinoff. Maybe a common mistake. It's sure further along the timeline but whatever. Wolverine was a bad example and I was using that off the top of my head really, but days really hit you over the head with the tie-ins. Though I haven't really watched Wolverine in a while because it's not that good a movie.

i was gonna mention of Cory in the House, but that show sucked so much I couldn't stand to even think of it. It was a spinoff of That's So Raven on the Disney Channel.

But I guess I have a broad definition here. I have another real spinoff in mind. The Cat returns.

Anyway, back on topic.

Last edited:

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
"Lol, no." correct me however you see fit, I'm open to the possibility of being wrong on just about anything, but it kinda hurts my feelings when someone starts a post like that. Yeah I'm oversensitive that way.
Obviously I wasn't intending to hurt your feelings, so I apologize for doing that but I laughed so I typed it.

I never thought of korra as a direct sequel though. and I'm far from the first to call it a spinoff. Maybe a common mistake. It's sure further along the timeline but whatever. Wolverine was a bad example and I was using that off the top of my head really, but days really hit you over the head with the tie-ins. Though I haven't really watched Wolverine in a while because it's not that good a movie.

i was gonna mention of Cory in the House, but that show sucked so much I couldn't stand to even think of it. It was a spinoff of That's So Raven on the Disney Channel.

But I guess I have a broad definition here. I have another real spinoff in mind. The Cat returns.

Anyway, back on topic.
Korra isn't a "direct" sequel (I would relate that more to The Promise/The Search) but it is a sequel as it follows the next Avatar and it contains characters from the original series.

Wolverine Origins establishes Logan's character arc in X1/X2 where he's searching for his beginnings and where he comes from. The Wolverine is what happens to him after X3.

Corey in the House is still a sequel despite it being shitty.

I'm inclined to agree about The Cat Returns though I have a headcanon that the film is actually a book written by Shizuku (from Whisper of the Heart).

You hit the nail on the head with Dissidia as it contains the characters of a pre-established series but throws them in an alternate universe where everything they do is entirely irrelevant to their respective original franchises.

With KH, the only true spinoffs are Mobile and X which most active members of the community are aware of and will agree with. Nomura wasn't using the word in the same context as we do, though.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
Okay Thanks for clearing that all up. I know I can get a little defensive sometimes and take myself way too seriously. i still kinda disagree about Cory though. I guess I see that one fundamental similarity to Korra: removing a major hook of the first series in addition to changing the entire premise and setting. I dunno.

I guess I've always defined a spinoff as something that stems off from the original; not an entirely separate entity with vague/gimmicky/unimportant elements from the original. Of course, it's still rooted in the original, like that dtv movie about the two get smart guys. There are also corporate and product definitions, ut we're not talking anout that.

One weird thing is the guy who played the Baron in the Disney dub described the movie as a prequel to Whisper, despite it obviously being moreso Sizukus book than the movie. Maybe that's what he meant, since the book shares the films title.

Anyway, back to the interview.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back