• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Tetsuya Nomura interview with Famitsu!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

sdr08

im interested in when they started development, from this interview, it sounded like they didn't start in 2010, but only recently. it also sounded like they have more stuff to show us, but couldn't due to hardware limitations. TGS just got more exciting, still cant believe this is happening lol.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
This sounds interesting . I'm really interested in seeing how the Kingdom Shader will play out, it could either be really cool or kind of lame. I like the idea of each word having it's own visual style and feel.

What he said about the characters being more interactive in a fight should be interesting. I wonder if that means they'll gang up on you and finish you of with coordinated attacks... I'd be screwed if they did.

I'm really looking forward to learning more at the Conventions he mentioned.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
Kingdom Shader makes me sad. D:
Couldn't they just change art styles depending on the world, rather than just shaders? Or is that too much work?
Worlds based on animated movies could use the cel shaded art style, and others could use the style they've used in all the other games.
Anyways, looking forward to TGS, even though anything KH3 related will probably be minor.
That's actually what they're doing. The FMVs are not the best route to go because, much like the in-game HD, they're still probably trying to find a look for the FMVs. I know the famitsu scan used the DDD fmv look, but that was only after several months.

In fact, I actually think the trailer already looked pretty close to the DDD opening with the exception of the shot of DDD sora.

But that's all just speculation. Point is that Disney characters may be cel shaded, but the worlds they inhabit will not be. Those movie backgrounds have been either CGI rendered sets, or fully realized paintings.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Know that a written interview is still written by someone other than the person who's being interviewed. Combine that with the interview being translated, I'd say there's a high possibility of having a "misunderstanding" along the way.

You have to look at it from a marketing point of view.

When trying to sell side games, there's no way you want them to sound like skippable 'spin offs'. As the director, Nomura knows that his opinion is going to influence people, so he will make sure to highlight their importance to the series in interviews held to promote the game.

Now they're trying to sell a numbered title for the first time in 8 years, so they're trying to highlight how weighty and exciting that is, and how long people have been waiting, and how much better and more important this title is going to be than anything else that has been released lately.

This is why I think you always have to take into consideration the context of when and why an interview is being held instead of just taking words at face value.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
More than anyone I think it's the fanbase that gets the most butt-hurt when the handheld titles are referred to as "spin-offs" when it's all a matter of semantics. It could be a translation thing or Nomura himself considers the handheld titles "spin-offs" because he might just not care what they're called; he might just be using it as an umbrella term for "games that aren't a part of the main story line". It's not the first time he's been translated as calling them "spin-offs"

Ummmm, any chartacter not controlled by you would be an NPC, so any character that's not Sora. It's nothing new. The previous games had world natives join the party too.

I'm sure she's aware what an NPC is, it's that for the longest time many in the fanbase have wanted a stronger presence from them because the worlds tend to be so barren and lonely. If they hold to their word and KH3 has NPCs that join in on battles it's kind of a big deal as far as KH goes. It sounds like Nomura's referring to characters not in the party.

Last edited:

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
Sounds like reaction commands or back. :(

I'll try to be optimistic.

images%2Farticle%2F2012%2F09%2F16%2Fchannel-ten-glee-crying.gif

But on a serious note, I don't think it'll be as hallway-actionpacked-totallycoolandrad-explosion-y as KH2. It'll play moreso probably like a cross between all major entries in the series. (1-2-BBS-DDD)

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
You have to look at it from a marketing point of view.

When trying to sell side games, there's no way you want them to sound like skippable 'spin offs'. As the director, Nomura knows that his opinion is going to influence people, so he will make sure to highlight their importance to the series in interviews held to promote the game.

Now they're trying to sell a numbered title for the first time in 8 years, so they're trying to highlight how weighty and exciting that is, and how long people have been waiting, and how much better and more important this title is going to be than anything else that has been released lately.

This is why I think you always have to take into consideration the context of when and why an interview is being held instead of just taking words at face value.

True as well. I guess you can about it any way you want to in terms of interpretation, there are quite a few possible scenarios here. Not that they actually matter, we all know which games were the more- and less important games.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
Sounds like reaction commands or back. :(

I'll try to be optimistic.

images%2Farticle%2F2012%2F09%2F16%2Fchannel-ten-glee-crying.gif

But on a serious note, I don't think it'll be as hallway-actionpacked-totallycoolandrad-explosion-y as KH2. It'll play moreso probably like a cross between all major entries in the series. (1-2-BBS-DDD)
That's what we're all saying, but I won't be too joyous if the Reaction commands aren't as flashy as in KH2. I actually liked them. Made the battles more cinematic for me, like the "cinematic actions" in XIII-2.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
im interested in when they started development, from this interview, it sounded like they didn't start in 2010, but only recently. it also sounded like they have more stuff to show us, but couldn't due to hardware limitations. TGS just got more exciting, still cant believe this is happening lol.

That they started in 2010 was never actually said. It was just something the uninformed guys of IGN made up.

More than anyone I think it's the fanbase that gets the most butt-hurt when the handheld titles are referred to as "spin-offs" when it's all a matter of semantics. It could be a translation thing or Nomura himself considers the handheld titles "spin-offs" because he might just not care what they're called; he might just be using it as an umbrella term for "games that aren't a part of the main story line". It's not the first time he's been translated as calling them "spin-offs"

I'm sure she's aware what an NPC is, it's that for the longest time many in the fanbase have wanted a stronger presence from them because the worlds tend to be so barren and lonely. If they hold to their word and KH3 has NPCs that join in on battles it's kind of a big deal as far as KH goes. It sounds like Nomura's referring to characters not in the party.

Semantics seem to matter in the fandom though, as when hearing "spin-off" many people are automatically going to dismiss the game in question, and then go bitching later because they don't understand squat about the storyline and didn't even bother to look up on it even if they didn't want (or could not due to money issues) play the games.

Characters not in the party joining you we already had in some limited manner also in KH 1 and 2 though, like the first Parasite Cage-battle in Monstro with Riku in 1, Hercules, the Pete of the Past and several FF characters in 2.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
That's just the thing though. I like gameplay, not cinematics. I'm not going to pay 60 dollars to be blown away by the automatic kill animations. I'm hoping this car riding stuff is more in line with flowmotion than KH2's action.

A

auburn-flare

Argh, everything Nomura says gets me hyped. New information in the near future, YES! Riding around on a car-like enemy through a level, OMG! Going beyond bold action, I...

That being said, I find it quite nice that Nomura stated FFXV and KH3 are bouncing off each other to become better. Sounds like things will be interesting between both games.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
So why are we expecting more on June 20? Am I missing something?
" It should be noted, also (released June 20) issue of the 4th July 2013 Weekly Famitsu, because it is a publication schedule and screen shots along with the interview, I want you to pay attention to there."

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
That's just the thing though. I like gameplay, not cinematics. I'm not going to pay 60 dollars to be blown away by the automatic kill animations. I'm hoping this car riding stuff is more in line with flowmotion than KH2's action.

Well obviously they wouldn't take up that much of the game and most of them were optional the exception being, like, four bosses. And I'm counting the limit commands on that. And last I checked they didn't always automatic kill. Either way, it's just a matter of personal preference, so if you don't like it, I have no problem with that.
Characters not in the party joining you we already had in some limited manner also in KH 1 and 2 though, like the first Parasite Cage-battle in Monstro with Riku in 1, Hercules, the Pete of the Past and several FF characters in 2.
We also had a few occasions of this in BBS with Stitch/626, the three fairies, Hercules, and Prince Phillip.

Last edited:

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

He actually uses the English word 'spin off', so it's not so much a translation thing as how different people interpret that phrase. I don't think every English speaking person interprets 'spin off' as something negative the way this fanbase does, let alone what sort of connotations it has as a foreign loanword to a Japanese person.

Lnds500

Bronze Member
Awards
He actually uses the English word 'spin off', so it's not so much a translation thing as how different people interpret that phrase. I don't think every English speaking person interprets 'spin off' as something negative the way this fanbase does, let alone what sort of connotations it has as a foreign loanword to a Japanese person.

It's not just this fanbase. In general, most people think of spin-off titles as something they can bypass* (cause by definition they are not related to the main series) whether that's in film or video-games. It was a huge mistake from Nomura's part to classify them as such, especially at E3. Needless to say, that attitude doesn't help to sell the collections.

*Kingdom Hearts Mobile and Kingdom Hearts χ

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
It's not just this fanbase. In general, most people think of spin-off titles as something they can bypass* (cause by definition they are not related to the main series) whether that's in film or video-games. It was a huge mistake from Nomura's part to classify them as such, especially at E3. Needless to say, that attitude doesn't help to sell the collections.

This, although I do give Nomura the benefit of the doubt that he may not know about the negative connotations this term has in the english speaking world. He may just see it as that "spin-off" and "side game" mean the same in essence.
At least as far as I know, here in Germany "spin-off" is more often than not equaled to something that may be set in the same universe of a work, but which has nothing to do with the main narrative/storyline of the work. And with KH this is clearly false as even Re: Coded contributes to the main narrative no matter how few it is, not even speaking of BBS and DDD.

KH Mobile, Chi and V-CAST are probably really the only true spin-offs the KH series has.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Whether you label them side games or spin-offs or handheld titles or w/e, the end result is the same. I'd say there are a huge number of fans who do bypass them anyway, label aside, because if you played every single game in the series as it came out you would have had to own five different consoles and a specific Japanese mobile phone, and that's not something so many people can achieve.

That's exactly why they have been making such an effort lately with features like 'Memoirs' in DDD and the HD collections in the first place. And since that's where the context of Nomura's statements lie, in 'this is why I made HD' and 'I'm thinking of ways to help newcomers', then if there are people who are influenced to buy or not buy the HD collections based on Nomura's words like you say, then I don't think it will have the effect you're worried about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back