• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why is Aqua so popular?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

JustDarkMemories

Ikkin, DAAAMN that was a big post.

Aqua is popular because the KH Fanbase wanted a "good girl". And not the princess type of girl, the Lara Croft type of girl. And because she's so neutral in the game, I mean, she doesn't have anything to hate on! She didn't get devoured by the darkness or fell in a coma or lost her memories etc. She just kicked ass, made an impression to the male audience :rolleyes: and saved the day. (no aqua = vanitas takes over da world)

And her voice in english... it's SO AWESOME!!!1!!1!!!! Sweet yet powerful, calm and determined.
She also makes moaning sounds when she fights. 'nuff said.

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards
You know what I mean, lol. To be a main female character, or to get any screen time at all as a female, you have to either look like Kairi, have some appearance of Kairi, or/and be connected to Kairi...in some way. If you're not, then you're automatically disposable and won't get much development, plot purpose, and/or time in the game. Usually, "the Kairis" (or one Sora, but who's Kairi, but who's really not, but who is) are the women worth focusing on. And unless something breaks the cycle, it'll remain.

Such a shame Kairi herself hasn't gotten enough involvement in the storyline thus far... I'm assuming she will take initiative in the future.

Ronove

Such a shame Kairi herself hasn't gotten enough involvement in the storyline thus far... I'm assuming she will take initiative in the future.

Yes, but hopefully in a way that doesn't require Aqua to become her mentor and die for her.

Ronove

It's just a fear of mine. But also, a Mentor role by default puts Aqua out of the action, which is also bad:\

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
How does her being a mentor take her out of the action "by default"? That is yet another archetypal pattern that isn't even all that common. Batman mentors Robin but do you see him standing on the sidelines?

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
He compares her too much to Eraqus or Yen Sid, lol.
I actually strongly doubt that Nomura introduced Terra, Aqua and Ventus just to shove them completely to the sidelines after KH III.

Besides, Kairi couldn't get a better mentor for that regard.

rac7d

The prince of Tides
Awards
Like there really gonna kill of the first and true female protaganist this games ever had pff

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
She doesn't have Kairi's face or looks like her. Therefore, her point in the KH universe is moot :I. Originality does not last.

I was replying to what Grey said, so Larxene is still valid lol xP Grey said:

Now normally, her being a woman wouldn't be a good reason, but in the KH universe, it is. Being a female and capable of fending off enemies at the same time is a very difficult thing for KH females to do. Kairi only really gains the will to "fight" (sort of) by the end of KH2 and Namine is just a little bitch. Xion can fight, but her character isn't the "competent" type. She maintains the air of a novice girl for a while, and even though she eventually becomes a great fighter, she has other flaws in her character (like being uninteresting) that Aqua doesn't possess.

That's why Aqua rules. Her character is terrific, she's a great fighter, she's unique, she's interesting, and all the while, she's a woman.

Larxene, whether or not she is a Kairi clone of some sort is a female, she is capable of fending off enemies, and she is unique, so she would rule just as much as Aqua according to Grey's definition of why Aqua is cool...that is all I was trying to say lol xP

Ronove

Larxene is also flipping bonkers though. But that's why we love her... kind of...

Zul

Awards
Like there really gonna kill of the first and true female protaganist this games ever had pff

A lot of people thought she was going to die before BBS came out, lol. Now they're saying she'll die in KH3.

EDIT: Just like MX freezing Ven killed him.

Love Machine

strut strut strut
No one's gonna die. -.-

Except for Terra. I can see Terra dying in the end as a hero.

Ikkin

Bronze Member
No one's gonna die. -.-

Except for Terra. I can see Terra dying in the end as a hero.

They better not kill Terra. Not just because I like him and don't want him to die, but also because it's one of the few cases where killing him would be chickening out -- he'd clearly have a harder time coming to terms with everything that happened than he would sacrificing himself.

Besides, they need Terra alive to complete the contrasting-parallel thing he had going on with Aqua, where she can live up to Eraqus' teachings and he can't, and it seriously hurts both of them. (Or just ship them together. That would work too *dodges bricks*)

Love Machine

strut strut strut
They better not kill Terra. Not just because I like him and don't want him to die, but also because it's one of the few cases where killing him would be chickening out -- he'd clearly have a harder time coming to terms with everything that happened than he would sacrificing himself.

Besides, they need Terra alive to complete the contrasting-parallel thing he had going on with Aqua, where she can live up to Eraqus' teachings and he can't, and it seriously hurts both of them. (Or just ship them together. That would work too *dodges bricks*)

That can still happen, but I think that him protecting his friends and killing himself off would be decent in his case. He seems like a character who would give himself for his friends. (Hollow Bastion, anyone?)

Patamon246

Awards
I think Terra will die in a fight with Xehanort. Like one of those the-only-way-to-kill-him-is-to-die moments?

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
That can still happen, but I think that him protecting his friends and killing himself off would be decent in his case. He seems like a character who would give himself for his friends. (Hollow Bastion, anyone?)

I don't think that'll be a good "ending" at all...such a thing would surely break Aqua AND Ventus for good.
The scenario that I can see more "reasonable" is that Terra is almost a goner but then in the last moment Eraqus's heart, which was with him the entire time since BBS does the actual sacrifice to allow Terra a true reunion with his two closest friends and meeting Riku (as promised) and Sora.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
I don't think that'll be a good "ending" at all...such a thing would surely break Aqua AND Ventus for good.

I don't think Aqua nor Ven's heart is that weak...that they would be broken for good. If Terra dies in a noble way or for a good cause or even helps to weaken Xehanort, I think they would be more proud than anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back