• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Music ► What influences your taste in music?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

wii.red24

What kind of music do you like?
Metal,Grunge Rock,Post Hardcore,Alternative Rock, Alternative Metal, Punk, Techno Remixes, Classic Rock, Power Metal

What influences your taste in music?
I like the high intensity feeling of certain songs and tracks i also love the ultimatium the comes out of it which is to tell a great story or just to make a point and I've always loved that plus the drumming for alot of Post-Hardcore songs and Metal songs etc. are really good.

Who/what got you into this kind of music?
It probably started with friends when i was 11 maybe 12 and i started to develop a curiosity for this music which they call heavy metal(lol no puns intended) so i started to listen to heavier rock bands like Linkin Park and Breaking Benjamin, and then as i got a little older me and my friends would listen to bands that were a little heavier such as Lamb of God, Disturbed, Slipknot etc. and it just kept evolving and evolving and my tastes just kept changing to were it wasn't just about Metal anymore but i liked everything from Punk to Classic Rock to Alternative Rock to Post hardcore Metal and even today my tastes are still changing.

Why do you like a certain genre(s)?
I don't to assign myself to one genre would be ridiculous i have a general taste in Rock and Metal but i like many genres that go from that.

When did you start to develop a taste for this music?
I was young probably 12

Name some prime examples (artists) (post a link to a music video - if you wish)
Guardians of Asgaard - Amon Amarth - YouTube
Slipknot - Wait And Bleed (Original Cut) - YouTube
Underoath - When The Sun Sleeps - YouTube
Bullet For My Valentine - Tears Don't Fall - YouTube

nelly <3

wayfarer~
Website
www.facebook.com
I wrote an entire paragraph.....and then deleted it while trying to post some YouTube links.

. __________________________________ .

I'll rewrite it after I smash my head into the wall.
Bawww ;_;

TIP: Idk if you know this, but if you ever delete something on accident press Ctrl+Z. And watch magic happen, everything all of the sudden appears with a single stroke of the keyboard :D
Lol do people actually listen to them when you post them? Cause I sure don't

Actually yes, not only because I am the maker of this thread but because hey, you might never know - you could discover something new to like :D

Nov

Awards
I like everything that sounds good. I'm not so interested in genres and actually my "genre knowledge" is pretty poor but I listen to pretty much everything between doom metal and pop, not so much hip hop though. I guess you could say that I like rock the most. And then I listen to everything else whenever I feel like.

I don't really know. It used to be my older cousins, they played me music that I grew to like. After that I guess media has influenced quite a lot, I read music magazines and I search for new artists quite actively, regardless of genre. If I like it, I like it. Every now and then, a friend might suggest me something.

Well, in a sense I sort of answered to this already but my cousins got me to like rock music. If it wasn't for them, I don't even know what I'd listen to. I just started developing it myself later on.

Well, when it comes to rock, I love the sound of guitar and drums. I also love catchy riffs. When it comes to other genres, I don't even know.

I was 10-11 when I started to listen to first rock and metal bands such as Linkin Park and Nightwish. When I was 12-13, I got into Guns N' Roses, Metallica and Mötley Crüe. And after that, I've just developed and expanded my music taste.

How does this music relate to you? Shape your personality? Fit to your lifestyle?
Hm, I don't really know. I guess it's just a part of my personality. I don't really "look like my music taste" and I wouldn't say that it fits my lifestyle either.

Too lazy to post any links but I'm listening to these quite a lot at the moment: Nine Inch Nails, Deftones, Mastodon, Pantera, Guns N' Roses, Muse, Faith No More, The Sounds, White Lies, Swallow The Sun, Friendly Fires, City And Colour...

Neko

Keep Holding On
Awards
I am a lover of music in general. I like a whole lot of genres. It all depends on the artist and the song. I guess my favorite is rock though.
My earliest tastes in music were greatly influenced by what my mom listened to because I was pretty much always with her as a child, so I heard what she heard and liked what she liked. Later on my tastes in music were more influenced by my friends, and what video games I played. This is pretty much the case these days. I do not like to be influenced by what is considered "popular" because I like having unique tastes from everyone else. Another big influence on my musical tastes is my religion.
Look at answer to the last question.
I like anything that makes me feel something emotionally, so that basically means I could like songs from any genre.
Whenever I was first able to recognize and remember songs. I remember songs from when I was two or three that I still love today.
How does this music relate to you? Shape your personality? Fit to your lifestyle?
Music is one of my favorite things in life. I try to listen to music whenever I get the chance. I bring my Ipod almost everywhere with me to listen to music. I cannot say music has exactly shaped my personality, more like my personality has shaped the music I like. Although sometimes the music I like may not seem like it has anything to do with my personality, which I guess is the case sometimes.
I could name artists on and on so I will try and keep it short. I am too lazy to post videos. Skillet, Flyleaf, Taylor Swift (haha random), video game music (mainly Kingdom Hearts), Utada Hikaru, Red, Paramore, The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Mayday Parade, Coldplay, Evanescence, The Fray, Within Temptation, 30 Seconds to Mars, Avril Lavigne, The Birthday Massacre, Breaking Benjamin, and Christina Perri.

Rishtopher

IDM (Intelligent Dance Music), instrumental, ambient, Trip-hop, Jazz-hop, death/black/symphonic metal, electronica, chiptune/chipbreak, nintendocore, indie, J-pop, J-rock, post-hardcore/rock, drums and bass

I find that if there's cool visuals to go with music, I'm more likely to listen to something, even if I don't like what I'm listening to.

My mood is a factor too of course. Generally, I only listen to metal when I'm in a foul mood. Whenever I'm reading or drawing, I like to listen to specific types of music, IDM and orchestral respectively.

It might be more accurate to say that my activities influence my taste in music. Whatever helps to motivate me to do something productive is whatever I want to listen to.

Most of the music that I was exposed to has been from anime, games or movie soundtracks. I started downloading the soundtracks of games and anime that I loved and as I explored the different kinds of music available on even just one soundtrack, I learned to like most of what I heard. That explains the IDM, VGM, trip-hop, etc. Basically everything except metal.

I learned to like metal because I thought some of the vocals were cool. The first metal band that I'd heard and liked was Nightwish. One day I was looking for some more of their music and I found Nightrage by accident. I happened to be in a bad mood and I identified with the rage in their lyrics and since then, I've been able to appreciate other types of metal (namely black metal).

Most of what I like, I attribute to something that I watched (anime) or played (games). It went with the atmosphere really well and felt some kind of awe. I probably seek to replicate the experience with other similar music.

I didn't have any kind of musical identity until high school, mostly due to the fact that I didn't own anything capable of playing back music except a cassette player/radio lol. I'd listened to whatever anyone else was listening to until I got my computer and was able to find and search for music that I liked.

Music has never been especially important to my life (I listen to literally the same song/playlist for weeks at a time) but most of the time I use it to relax. I'd hardly call myself an artist but it definitely has an influence on my artistic side, it helps to make me see things differently and create new stuff.

I'd consider myself a laid-back person (to the point of laziness I'd say) and I guess 90% of the music I listen to is to help me relax, especially since I get worked up pretty easily.

Some prime examples of artists that I like
I'll (try) and break it down to one artist+song that I really like per genre since I wouldn't say that I have an absolute favourite. All of them are Youtube links.

Additional Tastes?

Backstreet Boys and N'Sync, I actually end up singing like all of their songs at karaoke despite never listening to them outside of that context lol.

Last edited:

King Sora X

Legendary Member
Awards
Backstreet Boys and N'Sync, I actually end up singing like all of their songs at karaoke despite never listening to them outside of that context lol.

I grew up with three sisters, all who are older than me. So, I too have a somewhat of a soft spot for boy bands of the 90s, especially Backstreet Boys and N'Sync.

Rishtopher

My fav song by N'Sync is probably Pop lol. I love The Call by the Backstreet Boys too but no one seems to have heard of it/ I'm always so surprised about that. Also like to sing Destiny's Child Say My Name, they were so awesome.

Btw, Mistearea that Poets of the Fall video was really cool. The music wasn't really my thing but I didn't mind it watching that. And yeah, I actually do check out everyone's musical choices (if you have tastes that intersect mine lol).

nelly <3

wayfarer~
Website
www.facebook.com
I'm About to get my culture on:

On the side of what I already like, I very much enjoy listening to Spanish Music. If you're not a Spanish speaker that's okay. You get to learn something new today! One of the most known Spanish artists in the English Speaking world is Shakira. (I'll keep it simple)
She falls under the category of Latin Pop.

When it comes to Spanish Music I really pay attention to the lyrics, I can't stand depressing music. And it's different, Shakira in her songs tends to be so desccriptive and I can always imagine a visual of the song in my head, and most importantly, the beats.. Hispanics like to move their hips, so uhhh - as Shakira said "Hips don't lie"
Gotta keep it upbeat!

My family, I'm Hispanic - and everybody in my household listens to this kind of music. Plus I like diversity, so why keep listening to the same stuff everyday. I speak and understand two languages. Might aswell see what both cultures has to offer.

I think the Spanish language is sexy. Enough said, words in this language can entice you to know end.

Honestly, just recently - when I turned 18. I never really payed attention to this kind of music growing up. But I got invited to a party when I was 18, it was a quinceñera (sweet16) this was the only kind of music they had playing. And I just fell in love with the whole salsa/merengue spanish music. I found it very moving and loved the beats and found it so easy to dance too. I guess cause it's in my blood, I like it so much.

Spanish music is such a tease just as I am. I find Shakira's lyrics in a certain song that I really like to relate so much of how I feel at times. Even if I'm not attracted to a certain person at the moment. I just kind of go with it. I like to roll my R's too and I love to dance. So for any song that can make me move and creates an active imagination, I'm all for it. Songs like these make me proud of where I came from <3

Shakira - Addicted To You - YouTube

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
I'm gonna give this another go.

In a nutshell, metalcore and instrumental music.

A more detailed explanation is that I enjoy listening to music that's melodic, instrumental, and fast paced. I believe that an instrumental song, a song that has no lyrics, can be more powerful than a song with lyrics if it manages to evoke those emotions.

Take for example, hate. What's more powerful? Simply describing the hateful mood you're in, or music that expresses hate?

Video games, movies, amv's.

My father primarily. He's the reason why there has always been music in my household. I would always wake up listening to the sound of his stereo blaring out music. He listens to 70's, 80's, and 90's songs. Most of his songs are disco, funk, or electronic. It's music that lasts 10+ minutes because the majority of the song is purely instrumental.

My best friend also played a pretty big role. He was the one who introduced me to various artists.

I like metalcore because it's very instrumental, fast paced, and melodic. Also love the screaming. There was one point where Linkin Park's screaming vocals were too much for me to handle, but not anymore. The more screaming the better, especially the kind where the singer sounds like he's about to pop a blood vessel.

High school. I had no interest in music before it.

Most metalcore music is generally not happy. I'm a loner and can relate to many of the experiences, emotions, etc expressed in the lyrics of the songs of this genre. I guess it also helps me take my anger out as I find myself screaming along sometimes.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
It used to be exclusively pop/rock, but now I'm a big hip-hop fanatic.
Please specify what you mean.
I just started listening to pop/rock, but hip-hop started when a friend of my dad wanted some CDs, so I burnt him some Eminem music and my dad used to play them on the way to the delivery, so I kind of got into it like that.
I listen to pop and hip-hop for the beat, the theme, many things. Music can alter moods and talk to you, and that's what it does.
I started liking hip-hop in Summer 2010 and all other music I was already listening to.
It helps me with my mood, I just relate to a lot of the music Eminem puts out because of the lyrics, his struggles, how he helps with the struggles of others, various things.
[video=youtube;WfcZeLpWQsY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfcZeLpWQsY[/video]
There are more examples, but that's all I need.

Rishtopher

One of the most known Spanish artists in the English Speaking world is Shakira. (I'll keep it simple)
She falls under the category of Latin Pop.

This might sound really dumb but I seriously didn't know Shakira was Spanish. I had always thought that she was Native, I think because of her Whenever, Wherever music video? Must have been the clothes that gave me that vibe. Well, you were right, I learned something lol!

nelly <3

wayfarer~
Website
www.facebook.com
This might sound really dumb but I seriously didn't know Shakira was Spanish. I had always thought that she was Native, I think because of her Whenever, Wherever music video? Must have been the clothes that gave me that vibe. Well, you were right, I learned something lol!

Well, she's actually from Colombia - slight typo right there lol. She has grown alot as a artists I can tell you. Her first albums were literally was literally what you would call 'depressed but like REALLY depressed Indie Music' It sounded like a yodeleid folk style music at a slow beat.

She literally surprised everybody is the Hispanic Community she came out with her song 'She Wolf' Nobody, but I man NOBODY was expecting blonde hair and skin exposure from her. And now she's like a complete sex symbol and her music is MUCH more uplifting, which I can't argue with that lol.

Anywho, I've always liked her music (even when she wasn't very well-known)

Old Song -

She has grown or changed so much as a person and as an artist.
I saw her receive her Star of Fame in Hollywood back in November! ^_^

iDrops

It's a Farce...
Awards
Rock, Metal, JRock, sometimes JPop, Nu metal and I'm getting into KPop a bit...

I'd say my Dad, as he listens to loads of Rock music. I may have been influenced by him without even realising. XD

I usually get into music like this through hearing it first by accident, which could be because of YT or video games. I'm not really open to listening to new artists.

Because I love the power that can be shown in the songs. I also love the talent from the artists themselves. And I love the deep lyrics. I just love everything!

When I was about 11/12 I started listening to music that I stole from my sister but I didn't properly get into music until I was about 14, after I had discovered my favourite band from watching an anime.

I don't really know tbh. I always listen to my iPod on shuffle and if something comes on then I'll just listen to it, thought sometimes I listen to different songs when I'm in a certain mood. C:

Name some prime examples
Nightmare - Can you do it?
Nightmare - Mimic
Nightmare - Rinne
Nightmare - M-aria
The Rasmus - In The Shadows
Linkin Park - Halo
The Birthday Massacre - Happy Birthday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back