• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Music ► What influences your taste in music?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

nelly <3

wayfarer~
Website
www.facebook.com
Just as the title says, I'm curious to know more the reasons of why we like a certain type of music. Every individual has a different taste, and that's great cause music is something we listen to every day. It plays a big part into our personality, so it's a big part of our lives. As we post around these forums, we do see that there's many different kinds of personalities here. Let's go a little bit in-depth and show a part of who we are :D

Note: (Go ahead and lists more than one genre if you have a variety of tastes)

What kind of music do you like?
What influences your taste in music?
Who/what got you into this kind of music?
Why do you like a certain genre(s)?
When did you start to develop a taste for this music?
How does this music relate to you? Shape your personality? Fit to your lifestyle?
Name some prime examples (artists) (post a link to a music video - if you wish)

Additional tastes?

I'll go first:
Club Mixes, Indie & Hip Hop.

My mood If I feel angry or energized , you will find me listening to club mixes this kind of music has a weird effect on calming me down, I guess it's the beats on this genre I tend to follow the pace and eventually after a while - I forget about whatever originally was on my mind. If I'm in a happy or generally content mood - Indie Rock, this is like sexy music to me.
Lifestyle Hip Hop isn't really set on mood but more of my upbringing, I grew up in Southern California. The typical Californian Stereotype listens to HipHop/Rap, smokes weed, only cares about looks and money. So yeah... I kind of fall into that category. Not greatly, but when I feel like a baller - this is the kind of music that I listen to lol.

If it weren't for me discovering Pandora at the age of 16 when I had my first cellphone, being it a BlackBerry, I don't think I would've ever discovered this kind of music. It's not mainstream and not something you hear 481324352315645 playing on the radio. Love it!

It's fun, it's sexy, it's melodic!

About age 16, yeah I may be a late bloomer. I was more of a nerd growing up and buried in books. But as mentioned before, if my mother wouldn't have given me that BlackBerry for my 16th birthday I would've never known about it.

How does this music relate to you? Shape your personality? Fit to your lifestyle?
There's theme song in my life for every important event that happens. I'm the kind of person that once a moment becomes a memorable and a song is selected. I will play the repeat button until I've had too much of it. Sometimes I will play the same song up to 3 days straight. Which that tells you alot about me. I'm not the kind of person that gets attached easily, but once I do I become the kind of person that doesn't like to let go.

Mr Sam ft Rani - Me & You (Dimitri Andreas & Madox) - YouTube
The Black Keys - Gold On The Ceiling [Official Video] - YouTube
Drake ft Nicki Minaj - Make Me Proud Lyrics [New Song 2011] - YouTube

Additional Tastes?
Selena Gomez/JBiebs - GAY, I know. Sometimes I sing along though lol

Hillboy

MIA
Awards
When I was younger I would've never gotten into any classic rock or metal if it weren't for Guitar Hero

Nostalgia

livin' in the past
I'm more into the mood and atmosphere that music can create. I never cared for lyrics because they don't help in creating that mindset for me. I listen mostly to video game, anime, and movie soundtracks. Mostly instrumental stuff.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Everything. I know only annoying musical ignoramuses say that, but I really can't think of a genre I won't listen to. I mostly like artsy passionate pretentious stuff.

A lot of it is just how I feel when I listen to it and what it makes me think of. I have a sentimental musical sensibility, I guess. There are songs I associate with memories, or stories, or certain people, and those generally end up being the most important to me. I'm also interestingly visual when I listen to music; I often imagine shapes, colors and images that conform to each note and chord progression. Also if I can effectively trip out to it. :p

I usually find my music through friends and the Internet. Mostly friends.

For most of the aforementioned reasons. There are some forms of music that are more conducive to imprinting a desired visual than others. Formats like folk pop and orchestral pieces and even R&B capture my imagination better than most radio pop and club beats.

I don't think I really started concentrating on what kind of music I liked until I was in high school (and then, loosely). For a long time my motto was essentially just "listen to whatever is catchy," but I've started to lose interest in a lot of the more common hooks and styles applied to music. Then again, I do like music that's simple and easy to follow sometimes, too.

I don't know if it does. I mean, my lifestyle isn't predicated upon my musical interests, nor is the reverse true. As far as personality goes, the music I listen to is generally a reflection of what I'm feeling at any particular moment, so it isn't really consistent.

Mermaid Sashimi - Juan Son - YouTube
Lauren Pritchard - When The Night Kills The Day - YouTube
Joanna Newsom - Good Intentions Paving Company (with lyrics) - YouTube
Although my favorite artist is Hikaru Utada, but I'm sure everyone on here has heard enough of her. :p

Mistearea

Fear the Mist
Shifting through the spaces like only Mist can.
Classical
Various types of rock and metal
Foreign pop
Foreign rock
Country
Instrumental
Blues

For the classical and instrumental, it was actually when I took Music Appreciation last year in school. I didn't really like it all that much, but then he taught us about the different types. That's how I found that I really like the minor chords.

For the country music, I was born and raised in TN. For those that don't know, this is in the heart of the American South and is the dominant music choice. I've literally grown up around this so it's kinda in my blood.

For the rock, I'm typically driven in by the sheer power that the music has. I mean, there's not that many forms of music that can send me through that many emotions. It doesn't help that a friend is always introducing me to new groups that he finds.

For the rest, it's typically just things like anime and video games. I've been around them for so long that I've always grown up around the music that they bring with them.

For this one, it's mostly the same as the influences. The only difference is the rock and various forms of metal. I found this one by mistake by scanning through the radio stations on a new stereo that I got as a kid. Now all radios that I have a say over have this station and I never change it except for in the mornings when it's just some talk so. Free Beer and Hotwings is not a good show.

I think it's because they tend to have stories behind the lyrics. But for the others that don't have lyrics, it's because of the raw emotion that I feel. I like to write and it tends to inspire my words.

Most of it was from when I was a little kid. I mean so little that I have only a few memories of those times. I think the earliest is when I was two and I got my first anime. That provided me with some of the foreign music that I listen to.

But with the classical and instrumental, that was only last year. I've always been a fan of the violin, but I didn't know the true hold that it had on me until I took Music Appreciation in school last year.

I don't think that it really shapes my personality, but rather is a way to show my personality. Take the rock for example. The lyrics almost never mean exactly what they say, and this is shown through me by the fact that I tend to just do things that seem to have no meaning until some time later when I do something else.

Poets of the Fall - Carnival of Rust
Mozar - Requiem in D Minor
KanonxKanon - Calendula Requiem
Phantom Requiem Part 1
Billy Currington - Good Directions
Phil Wiggins

Awards
What kind of music do you like? Metalcore, Nu Metal, Post Hardcore and Movie scores

What influences your taste in music? How you can create stories with certain songs

Who/what got you into this kind of music? Guitar Hero gave me a preview but Halo montages opened up a lot of doors of what i listen to now.

Why do you like a certain genre(s)? breakdowns, melodies, talented drumming, and how sick some of the raps are in nu metal songs (big Linkin Park fan)

When did you start to develop a taste for this music? 4 years old with instrumentals

How does this music relate to you? Shape your personality? Fit to your lifestyle? I like it because of the stories that are told through some of the songs.

Name some prime examples:
Emery - From Crib to Coffin - YouTube
Underoath- Writing On The Walls (with lyrics) - YouTube
Papercut-Linkin Park with lyrics - YouTube
Inception Soundtrack HD - #12 Time (Hans Zimmer) - YouTube

Last edited:

Hillboy

MIA
Awards
What kind of music do you like? Dubstep, metal, rock, hip hop, some video game soundtracks

What influences your taste in music? A lot of my friends get each other to listen to different music

Who/what got you into this kind of music? Guitar Hero, friends, the internet

When did you start to develop a taste for this music? Around 10 years old I guess

How does this music relate to you? Shape your personality? Fit to your lifestyle? It is great at killing time and I don't know I just enjoy it

Last edited:

Shinra

Banned
Awards
I have a wide range from Metal, Hard Rock, Pop, Classic rock, Video game music, as well as Old school Rock, Punk, Rap, and some Orchestrated... anything that's good really.
It was mostly my family... My dad's a guitar player so I grew up in a more modernized version to my dad's upbringing. I listened to Rush, Guns n Roses, and a little bit of everything else.

In Jr High I got a taste for the Orchestrated music in Band class... that was what got me into the more complex stuff as well later on such as multiple types of metal and other stuff...

It is and always will be my dad, After school I'd watch him play his acoustic guitar, and He showed me alot of the music I listen to today... He was also the reason I picked up the guitar myself.

There are many reasons I like the Genres I listen to. The Solos of great guitar players like Slash, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, and Countless others , The innovative sounds of more modern bands like Linkin Park and Dragonforce, Then there's the Lyrics of great songs like "When I'm Gone" By Eminem and Dissidia 012's "God in Fire" By Takeharu Ishimoto and Kidneythieves.

But what I love most is the composition that goes into instrumental pieces like Rush's "YYZ", Steve Vai's "For the love of God", Eric Johnson's "Cliffs of Dover", and many other examples.

I Started at an early age... I was exposed to music at around 4 years old, but I didn't discern the many details of it until much later... I started looking at the details of it when I started band class in jr high. I was listening to Green Day, The offspring, and Linkin park at the time so I didn't have many details to discern until High school when I started getting back into the old stuff as well as keeping up to date.
Alot of Linkin park's songs like " In the end" match many of the current situations I face today... Turning to face the future, feeling emotionally neutral some moments and really down the next. But so many tunes give me a boost in faith or resolve to get back up again. Hoobastank's "Without a Fight" is a prime example:

King Sora X

Legendary Member
Awards
  • Various forms of Rock and Metal
  • Dark Ambient and other gothic Intrumental music
  • Some forms of Pop
  • some rap
  • Post-Hardcore
  • indie

• This could be an array of several things. I think the main influense was just listening to music with my friends, me asking them who sings the said song, and then I would just look them up(and suggested artists). i guess alot of my influense has to come from growing up with certain types of music, and thus extending it from that. Like for instance, I grew up listening to 90s rap, Grunge and Post-Grunge, Classic rock, Heavy and Thrash Metal, 80s Hair Metal, Boy Bands, and just lots of different kinds. So, I guess in the core of it all, my childhood was my main influence for my current taste in music.

• I can say for sure, my friends were the ones who got me into some bands, family also, but mainly it was Youtube that got me. I am dead serious. That wonderful site has such a large supply of music uploaded to it, I just let my curiocity do the rest, and fast forward four-five years, and now i have a wide variety of music tastes. I didn't limit myself to just one specific genre, and I wouldn't want to. All different types of music has its own advantages.

• I like rock and metal for the heavy drums, the powerful vocals, epic guitar riffs, and the story it tells in each song. This is the same with every kind of music, but some are different in their own way. This is exactly why i love all these different types of music. It's just because they tell a different story with each song I listen to.

• I guess it all started when I was around fifteen. That's when I discovered Youtube, and from there the rest unfolded on its own. Can't really say no more than that since there isn't anything more to tell.

• I want to say a little of both. I am a little anti-social, so obviously I'm going to listen to such music that embodies that very thing. I am somewhat overly-emotional, so i listen to music that embodies that. I can go on and on about how it fits my lifestyle, but the truth of the matter is that I just listen to the music that I love, and my lifestyle adjusts to it. Not the other way around. xD

Name some prime examples?

Rock:
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:

Superschlock

Don't you step out of line
Awards

Pretty much all I listen to is some form of rock. Specifically alternative, though I also like light noise rock. So:

- Alternative rock
- Alternative metal
- Grunge
- Noise rock
- Punk rock
- Punk pop
- Glam rock
- Classic rock
- 20's Jazz
- Ragtime

A mixture of my friends tastes, my mood, looking at new things that I think I'll like due to genre, and rarely, stuff I hear in random places.

More recently, it's been my friends, but the classic way has been YouTube and Grooveshark. Oh, and SSX 3 :D

I like what each individual artist has to say about life, the different voices, styles and riffs of guitar and bass, feedback sounds really cool, and just the thrill of being onstage. And the old-timey warbling trumpets and crackling recording quality of old things.

Well in 6th grade, a few kids in my class got me into the Beatles, and then playing Rock Band, I heard Nirvana and sort of loved it. The thing about Pink Floyd's Meddle matching 2001 got me listening to them. Nirvana got me into Foo Fighters. Grunge itself got me to listen to Stone Temple Pilots and Soundgarden. THEN Nirvana again got me into Sonic Youth. My friend got me into Chevelle and Tool, and another one got me into Dream Theater. YouTube got me into The Clash, who's genre got me into Sex Pistols. My teacher got me a bit into Led Zeppelin, and random acts of whatever got me into R.E.M. and Radiohead. SSX 3's soundtrack got me into Jane's Addiction and Placebo. Another friend randomly gave me a Kiss cd, and I really liked it. Absolutely nothing and stupidity got me into Melt-Banana. Doing a report in English class on the Great Gatsby got me into 20's jazz and ragtime.

I'm not really sure, angrier stuff makes me feel better when I'm sad or mad, and rock in general makes me feel like an idividual and not just a naive, stereotypical teenager of today.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Shawty

Awards

I like a lot of music, I usually listen to R&B, Hip Hop, rap and soul, but I also love listening to deephouse, electro, dubstep, minimal and techno, although I prefer to hear them at parties and such.

My friends and my brother, if it wasn't for them I would have never been into music such as deephouse etc, especially thanks to my brother and his friends cause they are DJ's and they definitely keep me interested in their music genre.

As said above, my friends and my brother. I have to say I when I was still a kid I was more a pop kind of girl but as I grew up that changed, I got more into R&B and such after I discovered Destiny's Child.
I got into house music the very first time I got to go out, thinking of it now dirty house sucks, I understand why I switched over to deephouse.

R&B/Hip Hop/Rap: Beats and lyrics mostly. I definitely enjoy music with a meaning behind it or just a song with sick lyrics.
Deephouse/Electro/Dubstep/Minimal: BEATS. that is all.

At the age of 7 or 8 back when Murder Inc and DC were huge, and around the age of 13-14 I got into house music. Little more than a year ago I got into dubstep and minimal.

Music definitely shapes my personality, without music I don't even know what I would be. I can relate to a lot of songs, especially when I'm in a sad/happy/angry mood I tend to listen to songs that fit that mood and I find lyrics in it that translate into how I feel at that particular moment.

I don't even know where to start, so I'll just post a few vids of my personal favorite artists and songs.
Spoiler Spoiler Show

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards

Anything that makes me go "well, that sounds different". With that said, I can pretty much like any genre (well, not any genre of course, I have my limits too but you get what I'm saying).

Whatever I'm into at the moment. Hip-hop, various sub-genres of electronic music (f.e. I like house and dubstep but only for at parties though), industrial, rock, indie, soul and experimental music to name a few genres I like listening to. However, doesn't mean I'm gonna like something just because it's that genre.

The thing that's important for me is that the music has some unique vibe to it and that there's emotion in the music. Could be the lyrics, could be the sounds in the song, whatever that makes it feel unique to me. Strong lyrics are something I find important.

Hmm well, I started listening to Linkin Park a long time ago (that's my favorite band) and well, they're pretty much a mix of differerent genres and that's what appeals to me. That made me think out of the box and discover other kinds of music and learned to appreciate all kinds of different music.

I like those genres because they're all different and therefore, at least one genre will always fit my mood.

Probably at the age of 12-13. I listened to music before that but wasn't really into music if that makes sense. Now music is my drugs so to speak.

I think I tend to search for music that fits my personality. I mean, you have people that are really into one particular genre and y'know, change their lifestyle to fit in the lifestyle of that genre. That's fine by me but I'm the complete opposite. I'm not someone that will change me as a person or my lifestyle just to fit in the lifestyle of something else. I adapt to others but I'll always stay me.

Cloud

this guy are sick
Awards
Bits of everything, but mainly Post-Hardcore, Acoustic, Rock.

Sadly, not much nowadays. I pretty much listen to the same stuff (i'm feeling old.) My main source of finding new music was MySpace and Purevolume. I used to love looking up artists I liked and them showing me artists and bands similar to them.

Not entirely sure, if i'm honest. Probably slightly influenced by my friends initially, but i'm quite a head-strong, independent person, so i kind of got myself into it. A lot of my taste developed by listening to Radio 1 (UK), listening to Jo Whiley when i should've really been in school. She played pretty Indie stuff (i remember hearing Arctic Monkeys, Bloc Party, Maximo Park and others for the first time on that show.)

Main influence was probably "Fueled by Ramen", And Fall Out Boy. They lead me to "Panic! at The Disco" (who I still think are fantastic.)

Post-Hardcore - High adrenaline and loud.
Acoustic - Only a few exceptions here (Dallas Green.) The man's voice is beautiful.

I've always loved music. Started out with Hip-Hop and Garage, then went into Indie, then Emo and Screamo and now found a nice medium with Post-Hardcore.

I think Post-Hardcore relates more to the emotions inside. I'm one of those people that keep most of their anger inside, but i'm a pretty angry, pissed off person in general, haha. Acoustic is more for the emotional times in my life, something I can relate to, something that can articulate my life.

Dance Gavin Dance - Heat Seeking Ghost of Sex
Dance Gavin Dance - Surprise! I'm From Cuba, Everyone Has One Brain
Emarosa - Set It Off Like Napalm
Emarosa - The Weight of Love Blinds Eyes
Jonny Craig - I'm Jonny Craig Bitch and I Drive In Reverse!
City & Colour - What Makes a Man
City & Colour - Northern Wind
(^ Actually have a tattoo referring to this song)
Alexisonfire - Boiled Frogs
Forgive Durden - The End and the Beginning
Or anything from the album "Razia's Shadow". Brilliant story, brilliantly sang by the whole cast.

Additional Tastes?
Any cheesy garage tracks from the 90's. LOVE a bit of Craig David, haha.

Sean

Ehhhhhh
Awards

Dubstep
Electro
House
Rap/Hip-Hop
R&B
Acoustic
Alternative
Some VG soundtracks

Mainly myself lol. I'm pretty open to new forms of music and will give anything a go. Except for country, I can't that. But everything else I really don't have a problem with. Heck, I even used to be into bands such as Breaking Benjamin, Metallica, and Darkest Hour. Kinda grew out of those however :/

Myself and I have a bunch of friends that literally shove their music tastes into your face so I just deal with it. And sometimes it turns out to be good...which is only like 14% of the time, otherwise my ears are crying tears of pain.

I've gotten into dubstep around this time last year and the first song I heard was Oliphant by Skrillex. I immediately fell in love with it but couldn't find the song name or the artist cause just up until then I was just going along with mainstream rap artists.

Heavy bass drops and cowbells. That is all.

I've actually started to make some dubstep. It's not eargasmic as of yet but I'm getting there.

Lol do people actually listen to them when you post them? Cause I sure don't

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
I wrote an entire paragraph.....and then deleted it while trying to post some YouTube links.

. __________________________________ .

I'll rewrite it after I smash my head into the wall.

cosmictrip

J-pop
J-rock
K-pop
Rock
Rap

My friends I guess. If they hear of a new rapper or artist, they usually tell me. Also, I find a lot of my music by just browsing the internet too.

When I was younger I use to listen all the music my sister listened too, so I guess her.

I don't know, they just appeal to me more.

4th grade was when I started listening to a lot of rock music.

Ex:
Wiz Khalifa
Kid Cudi
The Beatles
Guns N' Roses
Nirvana
Bob Marley
Gackt
Linkin Park
My Chemical Romance
Dream Theater
Coldplay
etc...

Mythological Omega

the arsenal of megadeth
Various subgenres of metal, save for -core. (Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet for My Valentine, etc)

My mood, plain and simple. If I'm feeling pissed off or energized, I'll generally listen to something fast and brutal (e.g. Nile, Fleshgod Apocalypse, Vital Remains). Conversely, if I'm feeling mellow, I'll listen to something mellow (e.g. Dream Theater, Ahab, Opeth).

Again, my mood. I would explore. Eventually I found Encyclopaedia Metallum and the rest is history.

It's intricate, it's technical, it's melodic, and it's interesting. Not all metal is the same, which is what most people seem to think.

When I was 15.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back