• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

what do you do when you've got writer's block

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryokaimus

i get writer's block kind of a lot, because lately i've been worknig on a novel that is guaranteed to get published in 2012 because my dad owns a portion of publishCorps, a pristine publishing company. anyway, lately i've been blanking on some ideas, because my comp crashed so i lost my outline.

what do you guys do to get out of the writer's blockade? i need some loose canons to break this wall, haha.

Ace.

Banned
I listen to music that has the same mood as the story I'm writing. I can't explain why, but it somehow just provides me with new direction.

Lumine

When your Mask falls, what will you see.
Awards
I usually listen to music that has the same atmospheric mood I'm trying to convey in my story (or in my case posts), watch videos that might get the cogs of my mind working with fresh ideas, or read books or stuff that inspire me to push further and look at new directions :3.

If all of the above fails to get me out of my writer's block, I do some mind exercises. As ridiculous as some of them might sound, they are my most effective method to break through a writer's block ^ ^. One of them in which I talk aloud to myself, or as dubbed by professionals, a brain talk; like narrating the events of the day, discuss a certain thought I've had (lolz, no wonder they think I'm the lunatic one in the house XD). Another is choosing a random object/person from my surroundings and try to describe him/her/it in detail and as vividly as I could, or base a small random story pertaining to them as the central element the story revolves around, in no more than 15 minutes.

These are all exercises aimed at getting back my brain to work :), Hope this helps you and Good Luck with your story!

Chill

Silver Member
Awards
I usually draw, it helps me focus. But other than that I read another book.

LongLiveLife

Bronze Member
Just write. Best fix ever. Write whatever filth comes on the screen (or paper), and just write. Can't have writer's block if you're writing.

Or I watch this:
[video=youtube;hqZAxLqJkzA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqZAxLqJkzA[/video]

And then I write.

Lumine

When your Mask falls, what will you see.
Awards
Just write. Best fix ever. Write whatever filth comes on the screen (or paper), and just write. Can't have writer's block if you're writing.

Or I watch this:
[video=youtube;hqZAxLqJkzA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqZAxLqJkzA[/video]

And then I write.

*Favorited*

This is the best advice ever!, Thank you so much for posting this =D.

Siren

brutally homeless and fluffy
Awards
I like to masturbate via a cat's hollowed out anus.

Cures it every time.

Fractured_Heart628

Bronze Member
Work on something until the ideas come, I usually have writers block, because I think my ideas for fanfics are stupid or the content isn't proper enough.

impart

Climb The Sky
Try writing the story from a different characters point of view and see if that helps to get over the parts your stuck at, then go back and fix it to the main characters POV later...

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I write something utterly ridiculous and nonsensical to express my feelings over writer's block

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I usually get angry over something then write to distract from my anger.

But if you can't find anything to get angry at, it is always good to do some thinkmaps or go write something silly.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
I go to the toilet.

Sunny knows what I mean.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
I don't actually get writer's block, I get bouts of "I really don't feel like doing shit."

Which is usually what ends up happening.

Seriously, someone needs to invent a motivation pill that automatically makes you feel like getting things done. I mean, I'd do it, but I don't really feel like it right now.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
I don't actually get writer's block, I get bouts of "I really don't feel like doing shit."

Which is usually what ends up happening.

Seriously, someone needs to invent a motivation pill that automatically makes you feel like getting things done. I mean, I'd do it, but I don't really feel like it right now.

Why not play with Lego Blocks or Minecraft some.

I built a brick house in a cave complex and used netherrack for the fire in the fireplace and had the best idea of a secret room in a secret house in a secret cave in a mountain to write about then realized something like that had already been filmed.

But I wish Minecraft could have tables and chairs.

Or you could write about a super pill that erases writers block and helps this character become successive and he becomes addicted to this wonder drug and eventually has a tragic death due in some part to his morbid addiction.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Or you could write about a super pill that erases writers block and helps this character become successive and he becomes addicted to this wonder drug and eventually has a tragic death due in some part to his morbid addiction.

Or I drop a piano on his overachieving head for being more successful than me >_<

Trjen

I listen to music that has the same mood as the story I'm writing. I can't explain why, but it somehow just provides me with new direction.

Totally agree here. I listen to music, watch a movie, play a game with a similar story or same genre for some inspiration. Also one song that really does it for me is...

In Flames - A Chosen Pessimest. - For some reason when i listen to it ideas just flow through my head. it is so slow, so melodic, so perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back