• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► View the Kingdom Hearts III Box Art!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

cakito123

Awards
A lot of that is not actually anatomically possible, unless our heroes have eyes in the back of their head. They're skewed towards us the audience, and the clocktower is behind them, even peripherals can't strain that much. Mickey is really the only one capable of seeing the clock. Donald is facing the right way, but would have to be able to look around a stone wall. The bottom tier are technically not directly facing the star to their right. Their heads are looking to the left, but the light source indicates TAV are getting a little bit of the glow on the right sides of their faces.

Yeah, but considering this is in its core a 2D Art, I abstracted reality to convey best what I think Nomura had in mind when making this kind of perspective and detailing/posing.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
It just occured to me that every major character is on the box art except for Data Sora and Riku. Maybe there wasn't enough room or because it would exceed the symbolic number 13. I just realized this now.

Nate

Square are you really trying to make me get the regular edition instead of the deluxe edition?

Meow Wow

Awards
Yeah, but considering this is in its core a 2D Art, I abstracted reality to convey best what I think Nomura had in mind when making this kind of perspective and detailing/posing.

It doesn't matter whether the art is a photograph, 2D, or 3D; correct anatomy and fundamentals would always be used (by professionals at least). If Nomura wanted characters to be looking at the clock tower, they would be looking directly at the clock tower. Whether it be moving it forwards or everybody facing away from the front. The characters are just simply staring off into space/the audience like most of the other cover arts. I'm sorry if I sound blunt or rude, but that's how art generally works.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
Honestly, I just thought it was Yen Sid's keyblade. It matches his aesthetic

I kinda doubt he has a version of the Kingdom Key myself lol. Since the keychain is still the same as the Kingdom Key D, I feel like it is made of that keychain. And since it also looks like the Starseeker, Mickey's other Keyblade...well, yeah.

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
It doesn't matter whether the art is a photograph, 2D, or 3D; correct anatomy and fundamentals would always be used (by professionals at least). If Nomura wanted characters to be looking at the clock tower, they would be looking directly at the clock tower. Whether it be moving it forwards or everybody facing away from the front. The characters are just simply staring off into space/the audience like most of the other cover arts. I'm sorry if I sound blunt or rude, but that's how art generally works.

*takes her art BA degree in hand* *inhales* Art is and should be free, the anatomy pretentiousness is just a mostly European tradition of thinking that made life unbearable for anyone who dared defy respecting "correct" anatomy and proportions a few centuries ago, when art realized "hey I'm not society's slave I guess". This is a Japanese anime style box art, manga/anime-sque art isn't known for realism, but it is known for heavy stylization of anatomy and often a heavily personalized style in general.This is what we have here. Anatomy by Euro-American old-fashioned art views is a criteria we shouldn't be asking too seriously from here.

Last edited:

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I cut out the artwork so we could have a BG-less version in the gallery, and let me just say, this looks REALLY NICE on a dark background.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
I cut out the artwork so we could have a BG-less version in the gallery, and let me just say, this looks REALLY NICE on a dark background.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Holy shit. That's fantastic. Really puts it on a whole other level.

Have the old box arts ever been released in high resolution?

Sdog

Awards

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Thank you for this! Updating my avatar when I get back on my computer after I eventually fall back asleep xD.

shady543

Awards
Ah unpopular opinion here but the cover for KH1 is still my favourite. The buildings in that one just seem to have more character and I adore it. Also I honestly prefer Nomura's older style, it was more cleaner and less blurred. But the cover still looks amazing. So happy that everyone is on it, even Namine. I'm really hoping that the SOD or at least some of the more major villains would be on the back since it would fit pretty well aha.
Also not going to lie, the anatomy (those legs of Namine and Kairi, and Kairi would be like 140cm according to this since Sora is 160) and some other design choices like how clunky Sora's jacket looks (dat hood) I cant help but be bothered by despite it not really needing to abide by realistic standards lol. Guess I'm still not used to Japan styled legs. xD

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Xion and Roxas are looking at Ven, guys!

0Pr0onx.png

k1kf0hC
k1kf0hC
For the forum's consideration: I felt like there was one pivotal character missing from the cover art.

Spoiler Spoiler Show
Oh my god that's perfect! Disappointed it's not in the actual cover art now.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
k1kf0hC
k1kf0hC
For the forum's consideration: I felt like there was one pivotal character missing from the cover art.

It IS a little odd without a heart motif on the front of the numbered title, right?

*takes her art BA degree in hand*

That was pretentious. ;)

*inhales* Art is and should be free, the anatomy pretentiousness is just a mostly European tradition of thinking that made life unbearable for anyone who dared defy respecting "correct" anatomy and proportions a few centuries ago, when art realized "hey I'm not society's slave I guess". This is a Japanese anime style box art, manga/anime-sque art isn't known for realism, but it is known for heavy stylization of anatomy and often a heavily personalized style in general.This is what we have here. Anatomy by Euro-American old-fashioned art views is a criteria we shouldn't be asking too seriously from here.

It's a little silly to think anatomy and proportion conventions can't be applied to cartoons, anime or manga or that it's "strict" to do so. We've seen them applied consistently in anime before when a studio puts in the investment . It's fair to critique it here, especially since we've seen stronger box art work from Nomura himself throughout the ages. It doesn't need to look like real life; art can still be heavily stylized and work applying some basic fundamentals. It's not like he's going for impressionistic forms here. Even compared to the standards of its own genre, not next to paintings done by masters (which I would never do for KH anyways), the proportions just seem inconsistent here, again, especially compared to his own larger body of work.

Ah unpopular opinion here but the cover for KH1 is still my favourite. The buildings in that one just seem to have more character and I adore it. Also I honestly prefer Nomura's older style, it was more cleaner and less blurred. But the cover still looks amazing.

Nah. You're not alone. I've warmed up to it a bit. I'm just not blinded by it. I am glad he incorporated various callbacks, the whole gang (they deserve to be there), and some of the architecture. It just still looks kind of sloppy. :{

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
That was pretentious. ;)

Hey, I need to find at least ONE use of the damn thing, right? lol
I agree though, just wanted to write a reminder that we shouldn't take the anatomy thing too seriously here with Nomura, he always did that kind of thing, and well, compared to some of the mutant necks the Organization members had here, I think we're still somewhere good xD

Last edited:

cakito123

Awards

Well, that's how you see art working, actually. Art is completely subjective and what I interpret from one piece of art definitely won't say what you see either. What I see is a bunch of characters in a 2D environment looking at different points in the scenery.
I agree that correct anatomy would always be used, but I really do think the perspective here makes a huge difference in how you can interpret this cover. Nomura chose to do it this way because he wanted to look this way exactly, with this idea on mind. You can't set rules on the artist(s) by saying that 'anatomy wouldn't work that way' when you don't even know if Nomura was even thinking about giving a damn about anatomy haha he wanted the cover to look pretty and that's it (from my point of view, of course)

Also, almost all 2D games are like that - the characters are always facing forward but its body's angle is definitely facing to the audience as well. So you'd say that basically all these 2D games are wrong in anatomy?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
k1kf0hC
k1kf0hC
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Yeah I noticed that and was really upset xD the only reason I could imagine why there is no KH on the cover is that the city is within KH itself hahaha

Xion and Roxas are looking at Ven, guys!

0Pr0onx.png

They gotta keep an eye on their roommate lest he gets hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back