• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Possibility of Expanding to Other Franchises

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Should Kingdom Hearts expand to other Square Enix video games?

• No. Kingdom Hearts should stick to its roots.

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • For sure, the possibility of new characters is intriguing.

Votes: 21 55.3%
  • The World Ends with You is a great game, and I think that this should be a one time exception.

Votes: 13 34.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
Website
sites.google.com
The implications of The World Ends with You being added to the Kingdom Hearts series go way beyond simply seeing Neku in 3D. This addition opens the door for nearly all Square Enix games, from Star Ocean to Tactics Ogre to the Valkyrie Profiles. The real question is, do we (as fans) want this? Up until now, Kingdom Hearts has stuck to Disney films and the realm of Final Fantasy; it has seemed reluctant to expand even past those boundaries.

Honestly, I don't like this idea. Though I love The World Ends with You, and I'm excited to see it in the new game (granted 3DS doesn't mess it up), I feel like Kingdom Hearts could very easily lose its identity in all of this. Up until now, I've been able to experience a (mostly) lovable story line that brought me back to my childhood, seeing a lot of the Disney characters that I grew up with. I felt like Kingdom Hearts was able to maintain a great sense of originality in its use of the Disney franchise, and I'm worried that it won't be able to maintain its uniqueness if it adds more Square Enix characters.

What do you guys think? Should Kingdom Hearts take up other video games franchises? Has Nomura gone too far in allowing TWEWY to join the fray? Or is this a one time exception?

ROXAS_32

Lobo Solitario
Awards
Website
www.twitter.com
One of KH biggest selling points was its Cameos so i dont find it to crazy seeing Neku pop up seeing that he is a Nomura Character i can actually see him even adding more like Vincent Valentine... and other ff characters we haven't really been seen if kh. It would be interesting if they just start adding square franchises i doubt it but we'll see. P.E. was a normura game right....?

αsiя

space coke
Well to me it doesn't really matter. As long as it doesn't go overboard or include characters from the Chrono series then I'm okay with it.

But also tbh, I never played TWEWY so this character's inclusion have no affect on me whatsoever, hell he doesn't feel any different from any of the other FF characters. If you would of told me he was a FF character I would have no problem agreeing with you.

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards
They really shouldn't expand to other franchises but the same question could sadly be said for Pixar, Marvel, etc. I'm assuming The World Ends with You is an exception because it seems to have a closer relation to Kingdom Hearts in terms of design and similar development team?

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
People are making a big deal out of nothing. Neku is probably going to be a cameo in the same vein as the other FF characters. BBS had, what, one FF character?

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
As I mentioned in a previous thread, Kingdom Hearts is in essence a cross over game. There aren't too many games of its kind, so even if they do add more characters I'm sure it'll be able to maintain its uniqueness.

Kingdom Hearts could very well turn out to Square Enix's Super Smash Brothers Brawl and I'm just fine with that. That game single-handedly introduced me to every one of Nintendo's franchises. Us fans get introduced to other series, and they get more business. It's a win-win situation.

If anything, KH should follow in Smash Bros's footsteps by carefully selecting which/and how many series will get included. I feel that no more than one non FF series should be added per entry if any at all. As I mentioned before in a different thread, the games should be based on art style. As great as Dragon Quest and Chrono Trigger are, I don't want Sora interacting with Goku's bastard child.

As long as KH maintains and upholds its Disney values (returning to KH I's state where the villains cooperated with each other would be perfect)

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I think it just allows more avenues for KH to take if the series starts feeling dull again. I don't see there being things like Dragon Quest, Valkyrie Profile, Chrono Trigger, or Star Ocean in the game anytime soon, but I can see small homages made to select series in future games in the forum of weapon names and monsters and the occasional character.

Also, I take this cameo as something close to how Vincent Brooks was in Persona 3 Portable. A sort of...marketing tool. And a homage, of course, to the series that paved the way for KH games on the DS.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
It didn't add up that multiple Disney franchises could be in but only 1 Square. Here's hoping for Crono.

Angel

number one fan of teresa giudice
This is a complicated issue....while I am interested to see how Neku's appearance pans out in 3D, I think that any future non-Disney/FF/KH characters should be banned from a storyline role and simply limited to superboss-esque appearances. Like fighting Lavos as a superboss, stuff like that.

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
If this were to happen, this is one of those things that should've been done earlier if they wanted to expand upon other franchises non-related to Disney and Final Fantasy. One small cameo is hardly worth discussion other than how awesome it is simply because it's from another beloved game. At best, one way I can see this working is if the roles of characters from other franchises are minor or non-important to the whole storyline, i.e. as secret bosses

Jesus

Hater-bending
Awards
I think we should venture into Square Enix's other titles a bit more. The World Ends With You is a great game and their character designs were actually modeled after KH, iirc. KH is going to go on even after the Xehanort saga and I think we can all agree that there might not be too many more Disney worlds we could use and I don't wanna have to play kh4 and still be exploring Halloween town.

madammina

Notorious White Mage Captainess
It really depends if the characters themselves fit. Neku is awesome (and out of no where) so it works.

Now, as much as I love Kaine (and I really do love her) She wouldn't fit. She's almost entirely the reason that NieR is rated M. However, Weiss (a talking book of spells) could fit in well, especially with Merlin.

See what I mean? It depends what fits the story and feel, not the geek out.

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
I think we should venture into Square Enix's other titles a bit more. The World Ends With You is a great game and their character designs were actually modeled after KH, iirc. KH is going to go on even after the Xehanort saga and I think we can all agree that there might not be too many more Disney worlds we could use and I don't wanna have to play kh4 and still be exploring Halloween town.

I agree with the notion but I've always felt that certain late additions beg the question of why they had not been encountered before. Kind of how Zack appears in BBS but is never seen again. Then again, there is supposed to be many worlds out there so it's plausible to think there was never any reason to visit non-Disney and non-original worlds. However, they might have the same problems as that of Disney worlds where they are loosely related to the plot and we come back at the same point we are now.

KingdomSoul333

Bronze Member
anyone think 3rd birthday could appear? i havent played the game yet, but it looks like it would be cool to have Ava (i think thats her name?) using her transition to other bodies thing on bad guys, or even appearing as a side boss for sora or riku to fight? she could make it really hard to beat by switching to multiple bodies. probably wont happen but i think it would be cool.

riku's_artist7

Bronze Member
Awards
honestly, ugh idk im sorta on the edge with this.
seeing that TWEWY was one of the best DS games ive ever played and the story line, characters, etc were very appealing to me, i think putting Neku in the game is a very smart move.

but now that i think about it tho, over doing it would kinda be a turn off. the only reason i freaked out when first hearing this news is because i found out A. Neku was in the game B. that it wasnt a character from FF or Disney and C. that they've never done something like this before. so it kinda caught me off gaurd.
too me, if they start doing this more and more, it just gunna git, whut word should i use...tacky? idk, it just kinda shouts "oh we mixed in all the SE characters, now play this shit"
idk as i said, im not so sure if im for it or against it...i think they'd be taking it too far by adding in characters from chrono crusade or dragon quest, etc etc

but adding in Vincent Valentine would be a nice touch, it would would bea surprise butit would be expected in a way since he's FF. (ive always wanted VV to be in KH but maybe he's too dark/ irrelevant of a character....then again KH is about light and dark so y the bonk not)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back