• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Possible competition

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Finland

Banshee Queen
Awards
Count me in.
I'll be on the TM -side... even though I don't stand a chance against Zion, PA, and other great artists.

Vayne Mechanics

Expert of Asian things
Awards
You CAN be in both. Just to let everyone know.

Also, if your entering, please make the top of your post [TM] (Traditional Media) and/or [DG] (Digital Media) it would be much easier to know who is who.
...What if you win both the TM and DM competitions? D: Then you'd have to face yo'self.

Euphoria

I've been here for 8 years. Wot?
Awards
I like the sound of this, I'll join in.
Traditional media for me~
I just need to get my scanner hooked up to a computer again, the one with all the software on it crashed.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
Is it possible to enter into both? I really want to push myself in Traditional Media, while Digital Media is something I might do better in, I always do DM contests so...

Also, would drawing via a tablet count as Traditional Media? I hope so, because I can't paper-draw then scan onto my computer...lack a scanner at the moment :(

EDIT: Got it. So I can be in both. I will try to enter if I have time! I wonder when due date is...

Salty the Hero

self loafer
Awards
...What if you win both the TM and DM competitions? D: Then you'd have to face yo'self.

Runner up has to face I guess.

@ Dogen: I don't know if tablets work in TM or not, so you'll have to ask Ken. Also this contest hasn't been officially confirmed yet. We're just seeing how many members would be up for it.

Last edited:

Lancelot

It's the only NEET thing to do.
Awards
I wouldn't think tablets should be counted as TM, because it's done digitally, and not everyone who does TM has a tablet, I'm sure

Vayne Mechanics

Expert of Asian things
Awards
Now this is true, but let's say we restrict things to flat colours. Even if you do things traditionally, adding in the flats should be no problem. This kills the advantage that tablet users has over those who don't, and forces people to start focusing on the details of their pencil work. If one should not decide to add in the flats, there shouldn't be too much problem since simple flat colours really have no advantage over B&W. In some cases, leaving it B&W may be even better.

Lancelot

It's the only NEET thing to do.
Awards
Mmm, I find just B&W is more effective, mainly because I'm not incredibly advanced in using colours in shading as apposed to lead. But yes, that should be fair enough

Salty the Hero

self loafer
Awards
Glad so many people want to see this happen.

Hopefully Silh will confirm this soon.

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
defineprog.deviantart.com
Now this is true, but let's say we restrict things to flat colours. Even if you do things traditionally, adding in the flats should be no problem. This kills the advantage that tablet users has over those who don't, and forces people to start focusing on the details of their pencil work. If one should not decide to add in the flats, there shouldn't be too much problem since simple flat colours really have no advantage over B&W. In some cases, leaving it B&W may be even better.

I was all kinds of interested until I read this. I shouldn't be limited because I'm skilled with a tablet. That'd be like telling someone who wanted to use a paint brush that they had to limit the colors they could mix together. The tablet is just another utensil, and it doesn't make things easier. It's just as hard to control as anything else, if you haven't used it long. Now if you limited the tablet user to just basic brushes(no splatter brushes,etc.), I could understand. But limiting me to one layer, that's just petty.

╬ProperArtist╬

Instantly Classic
Awards
Website
the13thmember.deviantart.com
Honestly I'm fine with multiple layers from people who use tablets. I mean if I can make a picture look like it has some depth and multiple layers then why can't the TM guys that use tablets not be able to? To me it just seems like we're limiting some people's skills and in this type of competition (not to sound cocky) I'd rather beat someone when they've shown me the best of their abilities in what they can do rather than win because they were limited.

H

Hellpark

How can you compare traditional to digital? And I didn't read the entire thread but Scarecrow wants photography and textiles to? You understand those are completely different forms of art, how can you compare..

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
defineprog.deviantart.com
^Quite easily, actually, if there's some sort of criteria each field is expected to meet. Like...make a sort of grading system for the judges to go by... And if there's a subject matter for each person to create (Example= Match 364- DM vs TM; Theme: 7 Sins). Then it becomes "Who most successfully represents the subject matter?" rather than "Do I like this drawing better than this photograph?"

H

Hellpark

^Quite easily, actually, if there's some sort of criteria each field is expected to meet. Like...make a sort of grading system for the judges to go by... And if there's a subject matter for each person to create (Example= Match 364- DM vs TM; Theme: 7 Sins). Then it becomes "Who most successfully represents the subject matter?" rather than "Do I like this drawing better than this photograph?"

Then there shouldn't be a DM vs a TM competition, but just a simple Art Freestyle competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back