• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Kingdom Hearts III Famitsu Interview Updated - The Return of Meow Wow?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Delsan

Killjoy Hillington
Awards
If I'm not mistaken, I think what they mean is Sora + two more characters, just like in 1 and 2. So it's no different from what we're accustomed to, and the trend will probably follow Sora, Donald, Goofy, extra random Disney ally who you can either use or not use.

What I'm interested to see is what they'll do if we play as Kairi and Riku. Riku might have Mickey as a constant party member, but that still leaves two slots. Kairi doesn't have any friends, soooo

Kind of throwing this out there, but what about Lea? Both Kairi and Lea ARE just learning how to wield a Keyblade, so I wouldn't see why they couldn't team up.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
What if Nomura was referring to the scene wher Riku hears the Meow Wow? After all it was temporarily existing as its own entity in the real world.

Of course there was also the bat.

Vanitas666

I choose the Middle Path
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
the "It goes even beyond ‘bold action’." kinda scares me. I really, really don't want the battle to be as confusing and all over the place as in 3D. Mainly because they need to make the enemies so damn strong to compensate for me being all over the place so everything kill me in one hit.
At least that's how it was in 3D.

And of course, they meant "transform" like TAV can, I can't believe I didn't realize that but then again, no one did

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
---We apologise for what might be an overly-specific question, but, what happened to Meow Wow.......

Nomura: ......What indeed (laughs). The last part of KH3D was meant to be tentative foreshadowing.
So I might have been right all along and Sora is still in the RoS with his little Dream Eater pets when KHIII starts and Donald and Goofy go into the Realm of Sleep (as hinted by them saying Sora still isn't back yet, commenting on them not doing anything lately) where they walk worriedly around Traverse Town.

I wouldn't mind a tutorial in the Realm of Sleep, with Meow Wow leading you to the next objective.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I'm not so keen on the idea of the DE returning, but I think they were quite popular so it makes sense. I just hope that like many have suggested they're just summons you can mostly avoid.

If by "Can Sora transform his keyblade?" they're referring to the BBS method of turning it into a vehicle and having Keyblade armor and Nomura's answer was yes...

CAN YOU IMAGE SORA, RIKU, AND KAIRI IN KEYBLADE ARMOR!?!?!? OH MY GOD.

Please. This must happen.

I think/hope he only meant the keyblade taking on the form of diffrent weapons like Terra's cannon. I personally prefer the Armor thing staying a BBS wielder thing. Also I just don't get what's so awesome about armor...

lol I could see Kairi working with Lea since it seems like the 2 of them have nothing to do in this whole mess.

Like always I'd love that. It's really a relationship I'd like to explore. Also both Kairi and Lea know Roxas so there is a possiblity. Heck maybe Lea would want to make it up to Kairi that he kidnapped her.

Actually, I can imagine DE's being both beneficial and detrimental to the RoL, possibly even as a main conflict in the future. If DE's start finding ways into the RoL (almost like how Heartless did...Parallels?), wouldn't that mean that Nightmares could find ways in themselves? What happens to the supposed "wall" between the RoL and the RoS? If it's destroyed, would the universe forever be stuck in-between sleep and waking?

THE POSSIBILITIES

I really thing this would be an interesting plotline which if they bring back the DE I'd really like to explore.

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards
So I might have been right all along and Sora is still in the RoS with his little Dream Eater pets when KHIII starts and Donald and Goofy go into the Realm of Sleep (as hinted by them saying Sora still isn't back yet, commenting on them not doing anything lately) where they walk worriedly around Traverse Town.

I wouldn't mind a tutorial in the Realm of Sleep, with Meow Wow leading you to the next objective.

This sounds really adorable. I can imagine Meow Wow running around and you have to follow him in the tutorial.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Please no Dream eaters :/, and btw Sora is not a keyblade Master! only Riku is

Sora is like Terra in that he possesses all the qualities of a Keyblade Master save for the official title, which is what the interviewer is referring to.

And it was stated flat out that he was asking specifically about Meow Wow. It's easier to proceed with the assumption that only Meow Wow will be returning rather than jumping to conclusions.

soracrown

Meow Wow is a dream eater though, in my opinion it would be a little childish to have them in the conclusion to the Xeanort Saga

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Meow Wow is a dream eater though, in my opinion it would be a little childish to have them in the conclusion to the Xeanort Saga

Not sure how it is childish? KH3D, where Dream Eaters appeared, was probably one of the darkest games in the series, only second to BBS. You forget Kingdom Hearts is a series built on Disney properties, commonly associated with children. While the series is no longer one for children, it is still built around that appeal.

I don't find Meow Wow childish, though. It's adorable and cute, but when did "cute" and "adorable" suddenly become synonymous with "childish"?

This is a good time for a Walt Disney quote:

"Childishness? I think it’s the equivalent of never losing your sense of humor. I mean, there’s a certain something that you retain. It’s the equivalent of not getting so stuffy that you can’t laugh at others."

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

Not saying it isn't. My point is that when they very clearly specify "one", we can't make the jump to assume they're referring to "all".

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
the "It goes even beyond ‘bold action’." kinda scares me. I really, really don't want the battle to be as confusing and all over the place as in 3D. Mainly because they need to make the enemies so damn strong to compensate for me being all over the place so everything kill me in one hit.

And of course, they meant "transform" like TAV can, I can't believe I didn't realize that but then again, no one did

That's not bold; That's just hard and confusing.

Not sure how it is childish? KH3D, where Dream Eaters appeared, was probably one of the darkest games in the series, only second to BBS. You forget Kingdom Hearts is a series built on Disney properties, commonly associated with children. While the series is no longer one for children, it is still built around that appeal.

I don't find Meow Wow childish, though. It's adorable and cute, but when did "cute" and "adorable" suddenly become synonymous with "childish"?

This is a good time for a Walt Disney quote:

"Childishness? I think it’s the equivalent of never losing your sense of humor. I mean, there’s a certain something that you retain. It’s the equivalent of not getting so stuffy that you can’t laugh at others."
I guess when people started worrying about being perceived as a little kid and not being taken seriously that anything cute became childish.

If you ask me, "childish" shouldn't always have to be a bad thing.

Last edited:

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
Aww his faithful steed, i hope they dont replace summons

I don't think they'd replace summons, they would just BE summons. If you think about what they did with linking in DDD, they essentially would just be the summons of KH3. I mean, the Stitch Summon and Neko Cat were pretty much one in the same in KH2 and DDD so they'd be very similar no doubt.

Iwouldn't mind this at all. I know I'm probably the only one feeling like this, but I think heartless need either a much LARGER focus in the next saga or give them a rest. I feared them in KH1, but as the series went on, they began to feel like fodder and really got over shadowed by Nobodies.

I think the heartless will stay. I mean, there really isn't a way to put heartless to rest since heartless are born of hearts who succumb to darkness. Light and dark will always be one of the major themes of KH so they'll definitely stay. I do think that every game has their own unique enemy type, but fear not, since I've always viewed heartless as the MAIN enemy type, even if Nobodies were showcased in KH2, Unversed in BbS, and DE's in DDD. Heartless were the main enemies in all the other games :)

Sorry to interject but DAAAAYUMMMMMMM!!!! I honestly never thought I'd read that quote in such an appropriate way...nice...nice.

Kalernor

I think even awesomer would be sora transforming his keyblade in battle like terra could.

Well I wouldn't mind that at all, and I could be totally wrong. Nomura didn't really specify, so I guess we'll see in time. :3
'In KHIII you will have a three person party, but depending on the world NPCs will also join in fighting'
I think that's what he meant

Last edited by a moderator:

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I think even awesomer would be sora transforming his keyblade in battle like terra could.

That is what he is referring to in the interview.

Kalernor

For those who are confused about NPC's fighting with you, here's how it'll probably look like:
- You'll play as Sora and you'll have your 2 party members
- An NPC will be fighting as an extra with you and your party members, but you can not perform any limit comands with that NPC
- Sort of like the Hades fight in KH2, with Hercules being an NPC:
[video=youtube;Zb253CB5rKg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb253CB5rKg[/video]

To those who didn't like the DE's...there were some pretty tough and vicious DE's...the worst DE was the T-Rex, that thing was annoying as hell
I really doubt it would be exactly the same. In KHII it was too simplistic and didn't have much depth to it. In FFXV it seems party members can fight together in a more complicated manner. Since Nomura is directing both I think he will be doing the same in KHIII. If he does however do as you said I'd be really disappointed because after so many years of 'experimentation' with the KH spin off games he really should be able to deliver something new, innovative and amazing with KHIII.

This could actually be totally alright. It's a nice way to include the Dream Eater concept for those who liked them, and people who don't could just avoid using that summon~. I also wouldn't mind the fusion ability they designed for Riku making a return; like you call on the power of whatever Dream Eater and get special abilities/different combat forms, etc. The less actual presence they have in the game, the more I'm OK with them being a part of it, since I know they will be regardless. xP
Rather than the fusion ability for Riku I found the command styles in BbS to be way more fun. Not only the actual command styles themselves, but how you have to adjust you're battle plan to achieve them.

lol I could see Kairi working with Lea since it seems like the 2 of them have nothing to do in this whole mess.
Genius idea! That would make for some awesome character interactions and I bet they'd develop eachother really nice! Imagining Kairi and Lea as apprentice colleagues or even travelling the worlds together is priceless! I really do hope they do this.

Nomura already said he did alot of experimenting with the KH spin offs. So I think it's safe to assume he will only be borrowing what has worked from DDD and other games alike or have it done in a more practical and fun manner that doesn't make you too overpowered. I think KHIII will have gameplay elements from KHII, BbS and 3D the most. However I do wish they return some of that RPG feel KH1 had. Not sure how to explain it but ever since the first game I feel KH has forgotten it is partially RPG.

That is what he is referring to in the interview.
Might have also been referring to TAV turning their keyblades into keyblade gliders or armor. I doubt the glider thing though coz sora and the gang have the gummi ship :D

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Nomura already said he did alot of experimenting with the KH spin offs. So I think it's safe to assume he will only be borrowing what has worked from DDD and other games alike or have it done in a more practical and fun manner that doesn't make you too overpowered. I think KHIII will have gameplay elements from KHII, BbS and 3D the most. However I do wish they return some of that RPG feel KH1 had. Not sure how to explain it but ever since the first game I feel KH has forgotten it is partially RPG.

What do you mean with it's forgotten it's a RPG. I hadn't noticed such a change, but then again my experience with RPGs are very limited.

Might have also been referring to TAV turning their keyblades into keyblade gliders or armor. I doubt the glider thing though coz sora and the gang have the gummi ship :D

Well the keyblade themselves never became armor, they only became gliders. The armor came from something they wore.

Kalernor

What do you mean with it's forgotten it's a RPG. I hadn't noticed such a change, but then again my experience with RPGs are very limited.
Like I said I'm not sure how to explain it...I just tried to think of a way to do so but I can't really put it into words. I hope someone else though understands what I mean and I am not alone with this thought o.o

Well the keyblade themselves never became armor, they only became gliders. The armor came from something they wore.
Ya my bad I just remembered now it had nothing to do with the keyblade itself and that they had to hit part of the armor they had on at all times to bring out the complete armor.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards

I think it's just a matter of opinion. I'm on the side that doesn't believe there has been much of a change. RPG is a broad term that really only means "a game where you play as a fictional character." There really aren't standard for what an RPG has to "feel" like since it can feel like whatever it wants to feel like (look at how different all the FF games play and feel like and they are all JRPGs).

Perhaps Kalernor just kind of meant that the new games are too flashy and easy as opposed to the original KH1 which was very do it yourself kind of thing with decent platforming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back