• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

BBS is not a Side Story, Nor is CoM.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xammag

"A side story in fiction is a form of narrative that occurs alongside established stories set within a fictional universe. As opposed to a prequel, sequel, or interquel, a side story takes place within the same time frame as an existing work."

BBS is a prequel. It has vital information to the story. A fan will not feel they have adequate information once they get into Days and KH2(FM even more so) unless someone gives them some information about BBS. BBS does not and cannot take place while KH or KH2 takes place, because it takes place before both.

"Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories is the direct sequel to Kingdom Hearts, and its ending is set about a year before Kingdom Hearts II."

CoM is not a side story. It is a sequel. Sora is not in Castle Oblivion while either KH or KH2 take place. It is what occurs directly after KH. To call it a side story is lazy at best, because it is directly after KH and directly before KH2, and it features vital plot points that need to be recapped to understand anything in KH2.

Days is an interquel.

"The story is an interquel beginning near the end of the first game, Kingdom Hearts, and covering the period through the sequel and afterward, up until the third game, Kingdom Hearts II."

(The sequel referred to is CoM, if you get confused.)

"When there are already two or more completed works, an interquel can portray events which happen between them, bridging one story to the other. The interquel is therefore a sequel to one work and a prequel to another."

The closest any of these would be are spin-offs, which are not side stories.

"A spin-off takes already known characters, usually supporting or background characters and involves them in a story or series which highlights them and further develops their character. The series' true main characters may make cameo appearances or be referred to in dialogue. Side stories, rather, focus on a completely new set of characters who have no history and typically no connections to the existing main characters."

Days is indeed a spin-off and an interquel, because it features known characters and takes place after KH and leads into KH2. It should not be seen as a side story, because Xion is one character among more than 13 (duh) who are already known to the audience. That can be debated, but theres too much controversy among Days already, so I suggest against it.

Wikipedia (omg wikipedia wants to ruin my life; get over it)

You may have other beliefs on it, but I have no doubts that BBS is KH0, CoM is the direct sequel to KH, and that none of them are side-stories. None of them introduce a set of characters that have no history or connection to characters and takes place in the same time frame. This is what separates a side story from a prequel, interquel, and sequel.

Last edited:
Awards
Ok, we know all this. What's the point of this thread exactly? Nomura already said that the other games are not side-stories.

Xammag

That the section is still called Side Stories, and more importantly, people believe they are and that BBS is KH0. You might know all of this, but I assure you, there are others who do not.

Epif

The Delicious
Website
epiphany-delirium.tumblr.com
KH 0 - BbS
KH 1 - KH1
KH 2 - CoM
KH 3 - KH2
KH 4 - Coded

Spin off - Days
Somewhere in there is 3DS; I don't know enough about it to place it.

But it is weird that the forums has them in Side Stories. I mean, if the site were to be separated into the above, then Days would be alone in Side Stories, which would mean getting rid of the pointless "Side Stories" section and changing it to each individual game(+it's remake) having its own section.

Dowhax

Bronze Member
I can't wait for the prequel to the sequel of the prequel that is prequel to the sequels sequel which in turn is the prequel to the prequels prequel.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
KH 0 - BbS
KH 1 - KH1
KH 2 - CoM
KH 3 - KH2
KH 4 - Coded

Spin off - Days
Somewhere in there is 3DS; I don't know enough about it to place it.

But it is weird that the forums has them in Side Stories. I mean, if the site were to be separated into the above, then Days would be alone in Side Stories, which would mean getting rid of the pointless "Side Stories" section and changing it to each individual game(+it's remake) having its own section.

I can't wait for KH -1.

We could consider KH3D, -KH1
Nomura claims that it takes place during "KH" (I'm assuming he means the original game).
Maybe KH1.5... Or KH0.5... KH0/1... KH1/0...???????

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards
Nomura claims that it takes place during "KH" (I'm assuming he means the original game).
Not what he said. He said it takes place on the same time axis/line as the series does.

I really don't get why -any- of this matters. Title or not, the games are all important.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
Not what he said. He said it takes place on the same time axis/line as the series does.

I really don't get why -any- of this matters. Title or not, the games are all important.

I got this from your site:
NOMURA: This story is brimming with unpredictable mysteries. As I said just before, it happens on the same time axis, and it is difficult to imagine that the sorts of things in this game happened at the time of KH1. And so, don’t let the way things look deceive you.

In the Google Translate Translation of that Interview after "same time axis" he says "as KH". And he never said 1 where I bolded. He only said "KH".
The Original Game is not title "Kingdom Hearts 1" it's titled "Kingdom Hearts". So "KH" can mean the Series or the Original Game.

WaveK89

Why can't we just call them "games that isn't a main installment" or "non-main installment games"? Usually when people are complaining about all these "side-story" games, they are pretty much saying that they want KH3. Other people will then go off on a tangent in making a point that the certain KH games aren't side stories. It still doesn't change the fact that they want Kingdom Hearts 3 (In other words, the next game which continues Sora's story).

Handhelds and remakes are probably better choice of words to describe the games.

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards
In the Google Translate Translation of that Interview after "same time axis" he says "as KH". And he never said 1 where I bolded. He only said "KH".
The Original Game is not title "Kingdom Hearts 1" it's titled "Kingdom Hearts". So "KH" can mean the Series or the Original Game.
You're using Google Translation as a defense? Uh...

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Lol. None of the games are side games so um...what is this about?

I got this from your site:

Google Translation =/= Accurate at all

>_>

Gram

Banned
Awards
I can't wait for the prequel to the sequel of the prequel that is prequel to the sequels sequel which in turn is the prequel to the prequels prequel.

you forgot bout the interquel thats a sequel to the prequel which is a prequel to the side story which is a sequel to its prequel and side story to ist interquel.

Xammag

The point of the thread is to make sure that people who say they are side stories and that BBS is not a prequel without knowing the full meaning of the words. Some things people say aren't even possible, one being that any of them are side stories.

I do not doubt many of you do know what the games actually are, but I'm trying to explain it to people who say otherwise and perhaps get the site to change it.

Last edited:

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards
Nomura refers to them as simply Main Games and Side Stories, so, I'll probably just stick with that, even if it isn't the "correct" term.

satria222poxy

I still consider Birth by Sleep as a main game. Because looking at it now:
- It has its own Final Mix version coming in 2011 (every main games get one, side games only get remakes).
- It has its own FMV opening sequence (other side games doesn't have that)
- It has a longer trailer (which includes extended musical score)

Dowhax

Bronze Member
yes, I made a comment a while back before bbs came out, and I was hoping that Nomura wouldn't go any further back except for bbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back