• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Young Xehanort and Young Eraqus' Game of Chess

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Are we for sure positive that they're both empty heartless symbols?

Both? No, not sure. Not 100% sure about anything.

Why Repliku and not Rikunort?

Because "Rikunort" was just Riku with a different image. I don't think aliases of the 7 lights are going to come into play like the personas of Xehanort will.

Mavxo

Awards
I think it stands a good chance to say that there isn't any duplicates unless we can clearly indentify two different pieces that are absolutely indentical on the board on the same time

EmperorPersuit

I made a chart:
Chess%20Pieces%20KHIII.png

Xehanort:
  1. Goat/Dragon (Xehnort's Keyblade)
  2. Eclipse (Sun & Moon, Saïx/Isa?)
  3. ?
  4. Dice (Luxord?)
  5. Xehanort's Guardian
  6. Void Gear Keyblade token (Vanitas)
  7. ?
  8. Six-pointed star, unusual since most stars in Kingdom Hearts are only five-pointed
  9. ?
  10. Two crossed swords
  11. Hourglass (Young Xehanort)

Eraqus:
  1. Crown (Sora)
  2. Empty Heartless symbol (Riku), although the lower part resembles Eraqus'/Terra'/Ventus'/Aqua's symbol
  3. Ends of Earth Keyblade token (Terra)
  4. Mickey head
  5. Wayfinder (Naminé's star charm)
  6. Stormfall Keyblade token (Aqua)?
  7. Wayward Wind Keyblade token (Ventus)
  8. ?

So the darknesses are:

I think

1. Master Xehanort

2. Saix
latest

3. Xemnas
xemnas__s_ethereal_blades_by_ancientwisemon-d4zirnv.gif

4. Rould xD (Luxord)
Luxord_Days.png

5. There are two of them, so Ansem SoD and Terra-Xehanort
Ansem_(Erste_Form)_3D.png

300px-Terra-Xehanort_Action_Render_BBS.png

6. Vanitas

7. Myde? (Demix?)
latest

8. Dilan (Xaldin) (6 pointed stars)
_mmd_kh__xaldin_by_mmdmodelsall-d6d4l7q.png

9. Even (Vexen)
228px-Frozen_Pride_KHII.png

10: We have two of them, so Braig and Xigbar

http://orig05.deviantart.net/84a6/f/2013/181/6/5/_mmd_kh__braig_by_mmdmodelsall-d6bbtzv.png

Xigbar_Render_KHII.png

11. Young Xehanort

If you have counted, we already have our 13 darknesses. o_O

Edit:
8. Number 8 is maybe Ephemera. It looks really suspicious: http://www11.pic-upload.de/20.06.15/98u7lep9ojd.png

Last edited:

Anagram

Banned
So the darknesses are:

I think

1. Master Xehanort

2. Saix
latest

3. Xemnas
xemnas__s_ethereal_blades_by_ancientwisemon-d4zirnv.gif

4. Rould xD (Luxord)
Luxord_Days.png

5. There are two of them, so Ansem SoD and Terra-Xehanort
Ansem_(Erste_Form)_3D.png

300px-Terra-Xehanort_Action_Render_BBS.png

6. Vanitas

7. Myde? (Demix?)
latest

8. Dilan (Xaldin) (6 pointed stars)
_mmd_kh__xaldin_by_mmdmodelsall-d6d4l7q.png

9. Even (Vexen)
228px-Frozen_Pride_KHII.png

10: We have two of them, so Braig and Xigbar

http://orig05.deviantart.net/84a6/f/2013/181/6/5/_mmd_kh__braig_by_mmdmodelsall-d6bbtzv.png

Xigbar_Render_KHII.png

11. Young Xehanort

If you have counted, we already have our 13 darknesses. o_O

Edit:
8. Number 8 is maybe Ephemera. It looks really suspicious: http://www11.pic-upload.de/20.06.15/98u7lep9ojd.png

List was good then #8 got me. Can totally see it.

Samhain

Bronze Member
I think it stands a good chance to say that there isn't any duplicates unless we can clearly indentify two different pieces that are absolutely indentical on the board on the same time

I disagree.

In DDD we clearly see Braig and Xigbar in different cutscenes. They are both of the 13 darknesses.

KeybladeOrder

Awards
I disagree.

In DDD we clearly see Braig and Xigbar in different cutscenes. They are both of the 13 darknesses.

The thing about them being in different cutscenes is the context.
Braig's only cutscene in DDD is a flashback to the day he lost his heart and became a Nobody.
Xigbar only appears in the present day, so I doubt we'll see multiples of the same character.
Yes, there will most certainly be multiples of Xehanort, but they will all be distinct from each other. The only difference between Braig and Xigbar besides the outfit is one having longer, greying hair. Beyond that, for all intents and purposes, they're practically identical.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
The thing about them being in different cutscenes is the context.
Braig's only cutscene in DDD is a flashback to the day he lost his heart and became a Nobody.
Xigbar only appears in the present day, so I doubt we'll see multiples of the same character.
Yes, there will most certainly be multiples of Xehanort, but they will all be distinct from each other. The only difference between Braig and Xigbar besides the outfit is one having longer, greying hair. Beyond that, for all intents and purposes, they're practically identical.

I mean, in DDD that's true. But the new scene in 2.5 which takes place at the time of DDD has Braig in it looking like he did in BBS, yet we know Xigbar as we know him from the Organization is also in the XIII darknesses at that time. So yeah...there actually do seem to be two versions of him around at the present.

That being said, that scene kind of made me feel like old school Braig and Young Xehanort had their own agenda, and that Braig was not apart of Master Xehanort's plans.

Seighart

Awards
I mean, in DDD that's true. But the new scene in 2.5 which takes place at the time of DDD has Braig in it looking like he did in BBS, yet we know Xigbar as we know him from the Organization is also in the XIII darknesses at that time. So yeah...there actually do seem to be two versions of him around at the present.

That being said, that scene kind of made me feel like old school Braig and Young Xehanort had their own agenda, and that Braig was not apart of Master Xehanort's plans.

Braig always said he had his own reasons for wanting a keyblade. The one thing that gets me is why Young Xehanort picked him up in the first place. Assuming BBS Braig kidnapped Saix, does his future self know of this plan? Where is his future self at this moment?

radiantmemories

Did anyone else notice that Master Eraqus's hair changes in the video? (I'm guessing so since you all are pretty observant but nobody has really talked about it.) In the first chess cutscene his hair is in its usual short sticking-up-ponytail style, while in the ending chess cutscene when it shows his face his hair is loose. So those two scenes don't take place at the same time? Will we see them playing chess more than once in KH 3?

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Did anyone else notice that Master Eraqus's hair changes in the video? (I'm guessing so since you all are pretty observant but nobody has really talked about it.) In the first chess cutscene his hair is in its usual short sticking-up-ponytail style, while in the ending chess cutscene when it shows his face his hair is loose. So those two scenes don't take place at the same time? Will we see them playing chess more than once in KH 3?

Or he just let his hair fall. Maybe he felt stress, maybe he was getting hot. Maybe he felt he was losing, so he decided to focus more.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

What? It's up in both scenes. The only difference is that in the close up you can see the hair in the front and side of his face are down while the rest is in a ponytail.

radiantmemories

What? It's up in both scenes. The only difference is that in the close up you can see the hair in the front and side of his face are down while the rest is in a ponytail.

Oh, oops. My bad. I can't believe I managed to miss that after watching the trailer so many times.

SoraForeverKH

I saw this thread and knew I had to join it! This...reply may turn out kinda long though. Haha...I am glad to see there are more fans taking notice of the chess pieces which are being moved by younger versions of Xehanort and Eraqus, and how their game is being played out. If their conversation right from the start wasn't realized as a connection to the future Keyblade War coming in KH III, then more research would definitely be required. That scene is just so obvious, I thought, and of course any KH fan will be able to catch right onto it. I was certainly intrigued by the many different chess pieces when I'm saw them, and it is just so fascinating to see how symbolic it all truly was to what those two characters strongly represent. Sora and Xehanort's pieces were the most obvious, then I looked harder to see Vanitas, Riku, Saïx, 'X' symbol and way finder/lucky charm. Those seven from each side were fairly easy to spot, but as for what one of you made a chart of, that is quite interesting, to say the least. Funny how the hidden Mickey was found... I looked all over for that shape on the chess board, but they were too hard to all make out from on my as seven inch tablet screen; which is all I currently have available to watch the wonderful trailer on. :(
I had my own theory about the game of chess having a meaning before, and now seeing more fans feel the same I'd say we're on to something...
Both insides of the board unmistakably represent Dark and Light, and I wouldn't overlook it being laid out like the battlefield we will see take place at the Keyblade Graveyard in KH III. Then you have more pieces left on Xehanort's side of the board, while Eraqus has a lower amount. How could that NOT symbolize the thirteen seekers of darkness and the seven guardians of light? However, I do not feel that Nomura would reveal to us the characters who will take those assigned places in the twenty fragments of light and dark. That would spoil the story, and make it far too easy for the wise KH fans to figure out alone. But I do think the pieces still represent certain characters, even if not in the order of seekers and guardians. Each side of the two has many allies, and characters who align with that particular side, Heroes and Villains/Light and Dark.
On Eraqus' side some of you have successfully found the pieces which represent some of the heroes of light we've witnessed so far: Sora. Riku.Mickey. Terra. Aqua. Ventus. Then last we've got the Star/Lucky charm piece. It's easy to think of possible answers, but it's hard to say for sure who it represents on the board.
On Xehanort's side: Characters.... Xehanort. Saïx. Vanitas. Young Xehanort. Guardian. The other pieces could likely stand for characters, but some would be hard to identify. You've got the obvious 'X' shape, and in my opinion, I would say that stands for the X-blade, and the other possibility I think could be Xemnas. He is the Xehanort responsible for all the members of Organization XIII having an X added to their names, and in 3D, there's the recusants sigil, which is mentioned numerous times. And his name begins with 'X', too. I honestly had trouble seeing the one some of you picked out as Guardian, but that's a really good guess, so great find! The second with sharp points/horns, I think Maleficent, as you've pointed out on here, is a very likely guess, since it really does look like her head as a silhouette. My second guess would be Xigbar though, since I thought when I saw it from an angle that it looked somewhat like an arrow, representing his arrow shooter. Plus, I think it would be strange to leave him out.
As for 4. the Dice looking gold piece. 7. the shape which is hard to make out beside the six pointed star. 8. six tipped Star. 9. Is another object with six points? I am still trying to come up with something on that. But those are the most confounding. Why would Luxard be mentioned if he is who the dice represens? He wasn't very important in the old Organization. No, what if it in fact stood for something else entirely? I thought about how a dice leads to chance, then how M. Xehanort stated in 3D in exact quote: "Destiny is never left to chance." It could stand for something like that. The last possible answer that occurred to me is the two stacked cubes could be Gummi Blocks. They are pretty important to the worlds, as they are pieces of the protection barrier. And the hourglass, Y. Xehanort is as good a guess as any, I'm still with that guess, but we can't leave out the importance of Xehanort's actions in Time Traveling. I'd say that is a very important detail in Xehanort's motives, wouldn't you?
Then there's bathe 8th piece on Eraqus' side, which is just impossible to see. I'm a little confused about the chart, where it has two pics on 8. Are they one and the same, because they look like entirely separate pieces?

Now what I've seen in the trailer; which I've probably played back and rewatched over 50 times easy now—I love it!!! I tried to count all the pieces on the chess board, while trying to identify them, particulates the ones which are removed by each opponent. I think I counted a total of 22 pieces, (12) Xehanort. (10) Eraqus. Each on and off the board. Xehanort's are hard to count since they're so crammed together at the first scene of their game, but there are 11 on the board while Xehanort is taking away his opponent's piece. The 12th is on Eraqus' side, sitting in front of him on the table, (Hourglass.)
The first piece removed by Xehanort is covered by his fingers at the very start, so it's hard to tell what he's taking out. Anyone see something on that I missed?
After that, it's Eraqus' turn, and it looks like he moves the piece we've identified as Terra's Keyblade Ends of Earth charm. While in front of Eraqus, you can visibly see a gold piece of Xehanort's, which is very shadowed over but resembles the Hourglass, and this means Eraqus has already removed it from the board. He then sets his piece further ahead the board, in front of his in a row, (Sora, Riku, Mickey ect.) Right as Eraqus is picking up his piece, look at the board carefully and it almost looks like there are 3 of Terra! They look identical to me, though one might still be Ventus, I suppose. But this is strange. The other weird part to notice is how the pieces on both sides randomly change places, even after they've obviously already been moved further ahead toward their opponent, going from front to the rear of the board.
On the second part of the chess game, at the end of the trailer, as soon as it shows the two young men playing chess again, you can see Eraqus in the distance as he is moving a piece further up the board, (speculated as Terra's piece.) It appears as though Eraqus has only been moving one piece throughout the whole game we've been shown, as Terra's is the only one making direct contact with any of Xehanort's pieces since advancing across the board. When it shows Xehanort moving his piece, which seems hard to make out, (has strange curving spikes,) he removes another piece of his opponent's, the Terra piece, right? So this piece should no longer be seen on the board, but look carefully... Right after Xehanort has finished and the screen turns to Xehanort's Keyblade on the wall, it shows Eraqus reaching for another piece, yet just beneath his hand is a piece identical to the one Xehanort had just removed, (Ends of Earth token.) How in the world can that be though!? It doesn't look anything thing like Ven's, who has four points sticking out on his charm. From my screen,that is what I see. Is this a mes up though? Am I seeing it wrong? Because from my point of view, it is unmistakably (Terra.) I suppose the piece I saw Xehanort remove could've been so zoomed out that it was actually Ven's but appeared more as (Terra's.) But the piece shown afterwards is definitely, no doubt-about-it (Terra's!) You can see it while Eraqus is moving (Sora's crown) piece, and taking out what looks like Xehanort's (Ram/Goat.) Which also gets strange, because from the board you can still see Xehanort's pieces 3. & 5.
It's like, as Eraqus is saying, "Who's to say I can't change it, and maybe light will prevail?" This is where (Terra's) piece reappears mysteriously, and he takes (Sora's) piece to make contact with one of Xehanort's, (1. Ram) pieces. The two are then shown as they end the trailer with: "There's more light than meets the eye. You might be surprised." -Eraqus "Oh, I hope so." -Xehanort
Then, right before it ends, the board is shown one last time, and if you look, you'll see that Xehanort's pieces 1. 3. 5. are all still present on the board, even though we just saw Eraqus take out (1. Ram.) You can see where the (Ram) and (Sora) are met, along with the other pieces VISIBLY seen from each side being: Xehanort's, (3. Maleficent' or Xigbar?) (4. Dice or Gummi Blocks?) (5. Guardian.) Eraqus', (2. Riku.) There's another part of a piece seen cut off, but impossible to see what it is.
And that is the whole trailer, in every part of detail that I saw. I carefully observed it all... It took me a while, but I feel I covered everything.
Not saying I don't believe it was there, but on my screen I never found a piece that looked like (7. Wayward Wind token/Ventus.)

If this chess game truly symbolizes a major part of the main plot in KH III, I think I'd be surprised if Square Enix would go that far into revealing such a big part of the game. But it is very b interesting, for sure.
If anyone else noticed something I missed in the trailer, please, share your information and any theories you have. I'm open to all the possibilities.
I would have liked to comment on some of the posts already on here, but my online time is very limited, so I figured it would be best just to do it all in one long page.

Anagram

Banned
It's like, as Eraqus is saying, "Who's to say I can't change it, and maybe light will prevail?" This is where (Terra's) piece reappears mysteriously, and he takes (Sora's) piece to make contact with one of Xehanort's, (1. Ram) pieces. The two are then shown as they end the trailer with: "There's more light than meets the eye. You might be surprised." -Eraqus "Oh, I hope so." -Xehanort

Wont lie. This part actually was interesting. Gives the vibe that Eraqus is gonna try and change history, fate and/or time.

Seighart

Awards
Wont lie. This part actually was interesting. Gives the vibe that Eraqus is gonna try and change history, fate and/or time.

Well doesn't Eraqus technically fulfill the requirements to time travel? Assuming he knows of the way to achieve the Xblade, wouldn't he know he could also time travel for the sake of recruiting warriors if need be?

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Well doesn't Eraqus technically fulfill the requirements to time travel? Assuming he knows of the way to achieve the Xblade, wouldn't he know he could also time travel for the sake of recruiting warriors if need be?

He technically does as he "discarded" his body unintentionally. But for Eraqus' heart to be able to travel through time it would need to be free, which as far as we know isn't the case since Eraqus' heart is stuck inside Terra's.

Even if it would be possible though, so far the rules say that you cannot change the past and what happened there (meaning everything from the events of Chi/Unchained, the first Keyblade War and from BBS up to DDD cannot be changed and altered anymore).
Even Xehanort himself says though in DDD that the future is beyond his sight, so it stands to reason that the prophecy does not have to come true in the present time and that is what Eraqus is getting at. Unlike the past and the present, the future is not set in stone for 100% even if there is a prophecy about it.

Furthermore, knowing Nomura and his knack for twists and "surprises", just letting the prophecy coming true would certainly not be his style at all.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
I know this is not directly about the chess game, but one thing Young Xehanort says is interesting. In the end of the trailer he says that the future has been written. So one way to take this is that he is talking about the prophecy, and how the war happened even thou people in the past tried to stop it. Could that line also has an another meaning? Could Xehnaort kinda also talk about himself, how his path and destiny has been already decided/written, and his future is to grow to the creepy old Master Xehaort me all love and hate?

I think Xehanort dosen`t fully realize this yet, but he has glimpses of it(like that the goat keyblade will one day be his). I wonder how in the end he got it? Did he steal it, or was it granted for him? All thou I think as an important relic/part of Keyblades history as the Goat Keyblade is, YX`s and YE`s master woulnd`t just give it... .right?

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I know this is not directly about the chess game, but one thing Young Xehanort says is interesting. In the end of the trailer he says that the future has been written. So one way to take this is that he is talking about the prophecy, and how the war happened even thou people in the past tried to stop it. Could that line also has an another meaning? Could Xehnaort kinda also talk about himself, how his path and destiny has been already decided/written, and his future is to grow to the creepy old Master Xehaort me all love and hate?

I think Xehanort dosen`t fully realize this yet, but he has glimpses of it(like that the goat keyblade will one day be his). I wonder how in the end he got it? Did he steal it, or was it granted for him? All thou I think as an important relic/part of Keyblades history as the Goat Keyblade is, YX`s and YE`s master woulnd`t just give it... .right?

It can certainly have that double-meaning as it would fit Nomura's narrative style.
About the people in the past trying to avoid the prophecy and then bringing it about themselves I think that this is one of the crucial points that will be addressed in X[chi]/Unchained since Nomura stated it covers the period before the actual war and the events leading up to it.
I'm guessing that the prophecy indeed can be avoided, but a specific set of actions and attitudes is needed to do so which the people in the past simply failed to do.
Thus, X[chi]/Unchained will show to us the error (or rather, a whole bucket of errors) the central figures in the past made that eventually brought about the Keyblade War and the "end of the universe" as described in the prophecy.
By knowing the errors made in the past, we as the audience will then know what the actions are that Sora and all of his allies need to at least partly avoid (as in having the errors add up to another disaster) in order to avert the prophecy's outcome a second time.
Going by that, I remember a statement from Nomura about X[chi] that among the player characters and their Chirithys there are some who are trying to avoid war breaking out even when it already hangs on the horizon, it remains to be seen how exactly those people go about in and why it doesn't work in the past.

That would depend on what type of person Eraqus' and Xehanort's master is.
It is already not very clever of him/her having the Goat Keyblade hanging openly on display like that, except if it serves a specific purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back