• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Which Youtubers did you unsubscribe from and why?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
My advice on the n-word is just don't use it.

The reason black people use it to refer to each other (with an -a as they say) is complicated and can be used negatively or positively against each other in different situations. Again, it's complicated.

If you aren't black and want to use the word (endearingly), save yourself the headache and only use it around your black friends if they specifically are comfortable with it. No black group is the same and just because your black friends thinks it's ok for you to use it with them doesn't mean all black people will be.

I don't care either way, but I also never use the word endearingly or negatively.

Last edited:

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards
I agree with the sentiment of not using the word. Some people feel its okay to use it if it's not used in a genuine act of harassing an individual on their skin colour. I don't particularly feel that way. Like, I see a lot of people using the word as 'shock humor', as in "Wow, I just used the forbidden word".
But if we just focus on this case alone of the previously mentioned posters on Jon's subreddit, who are actually using the word to target black people. This is not some weird "joke" that lacks a punchline. This is clear cut racism. The definition has not changed, so I don't know why people believe it has, and defend their views. I think people need to learn that racism does not change depending on a person. If you talk disparagingly of a person based on their ethnicity's 'genetics' then spoilers, you're a racist.

I don't know if JonTron himself is quite on that level, but his comments cannot go unnoticed. I feel his comments were disgusting. Trying to claim discrimination does not exist in America today in nonsensical, especially with regards to race. We literally still have cases of racism, with Neo-Nazis, the KKK, and some pretty garbage people. Just a few years ago, a couple invaded an eight year old boy's birthday with literal guns, and screaming racial slurs at them. So I mean, sure, no discrimination there. I am glad that a lot of his fans have been disgusted too. He has not made any comments on this since it all kind of exploded. I am curious as to how he will address this though.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
[link to a bunch of game grumps episodes where barry had to edit out all of jon's obnoxious n-word shouts meanwhile arin is super uncomfortable]

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
[link to a bunch of game grumps episodes where barry had to edit out all of jon's obnoxious n-word shouts meanwhile arin is super uncomfortable]

I occasionally use that word when I'm with my best friend, who is black and finds it super funny, but, even if Arin was okay with it, you're a professional, dude. Don't use that word if you're a professional, especially if you're recording yourself. Not cool. (I'd never use it unless we're hanging out, just needed to clarify that xD)

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards

"Did you call me a... train wreck?"

Those parts of Sonic 06 are still relevant today.

I believe PeanutButterGamer has distanced himself from Jon now. I think that's a wise decision. People can bitch all they want about how he's turning his back on Jon, but he has his own channel. He's already mentioned he's been associated with Jon because both are part of Normal Boots. No reason for his reputation to be tarnished.

OathkeeperRoxas XIII

Silver Member
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I thinking of unsubscribe from TFS Gaming. The LPs minus anything that's not Dragon Ball or outside big time series are just not funny and make me more mad than enjoy. Sure there's some playthroughs I don't like but so far it's just not funny

I dropped Their Golden LP because of them naming Yu memeboi Daddy to it felt they couldn't care less about playing it with their humor, Marie bashing, and taken far too long to stream it. If I want cringe worthy, I got DarkKekfa to pick at his only likes beautiful girls but says diddly this game when he loses. Then it's their KH streams and I just can't enjoy them, recent parts irritated me. The jokes, complaining about Ven's Sword style and it's hard to call them even fans of anime yet cringe at the use of Waifu. And I get they want to get to DDD, but speed run Aqua's parts?

No wonder people get on them about their gaming channel, but maybe find a Stream series that has none of my gripes with them.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
"It's surprising how many people are shocked by honesty, but how few are shocked by deceit!" Noel Coward.

I will edit this because the video didn't talk about the other wrongs that Onision did. It pretty much featured MrRepzion lying to his fans about not wanting to debate Onision.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I occasionally use that word when I'm with my best friend, who is black and finds it super funny, but, even if Arin was okay with it, you're a professional, dude. Don't use that word if you're a professional, especially if you're recording yourself. Not cool. (I'd never use it unless we're hanging out, just needed to clarify that xD)
[i'll ignore the "oh my black friend lets me say it so it's fine" thing]

And even so, professional or not [i don't think jon saw himself as a professional at this time], he's still putting this on youtube. He still required Barry to go through and edit every single thing.
"Did you call me a... train wreck?"

Those parts of Sonic 06 are still relevant today.

I believe PeanutButterGamer has distanced himself from Jon now. I think that's a wise decision. People can bitch all they want about how he's turning his back on Jon, but he has his own channel. He's already mentioned he's been associated with Jon because both are part of Normal Boots. No reason for his reputation to be tarnished.
PBG and many other friends of his have years ago, not even for political reasons. PBG is just now being vocal about it because he does not want his videos and reputation being hurt by what was once a friendship and now is not.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
My advice on the n-word is just don't use it.

The reason black people use it to refer to each other (with an -a as they say) is complicated and can be used negatively or positively against each other in different situations. Again, it's complicated.

Part of the reason why many people who aren't black use it is because they hear black people use it. I'm not saying it should be that way, but it is and you have to act accordingly. I can almost guarantee that if the usage of the word goes down in the black community, you will see it drop in popularity even further until it's almost exclusively used out of pure racism (as opposed to general ignorance).

One thing I'd like to note though is that it should always be okay to spell it or say it out loud when talking about the word itself (as in, you're not actually using it but just talking about it from a semantic point of view or if you're quoting someone else). By constantly referring to it as the "n-word", you're making it seem less ugly than it is. This goes for every single ugly word you can think of, by the way. I guess it goes without saying that I'm not a fan of euphemisms either.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
Part of the reason why many people who aren't black use it is because they hear black people use it. I'm not saying it should be that way, but it is and you have to act accordingly. I can almost guarantee that if the usage of the word goes down in the black community, you will see it drop in popularity even further until it's almost exclusively used out of pure racism (as opposed to general ignorance).

One thing I'd like to note though is that it should always be okay to spell it or say it out loud when talking about the word itself (as in, you're not actually using it but just talking about it from a semantic point of view or if you're quoting someone else). By constantly referring to it as the "n-word", you're making it seem less ugly than it is. This goes for every single ugly word you can think of, by the way. I guess it goes without saying that I'm not a fan of euphemisms either.

I don't like the word and neither did the teachers that lead my after school program, who happened to be black themselves. Maybe that's an example of age bias or something since the teachers were like in their thirties to fifties whereas the guys that I heard mostly using it were my age, fourteen to twenty-one at the time. Of course, context is also to be brought up. Society is too eager to condemn anyone that uses the word even if it is used by a comedian telling a joke. Yet, some of the people that are condemning people for using the word in of itself have also used the word and not even in a manner of joking. Tana Mongeau, who from what I gather condemns people that use the n word also found herself in the same boat since she has also used the n word in what appears to be an angry and frustrated tone.
Spoiler Spoiler Show
Just take this with a grain of salt.

Of course, we are talking about who should and shouldn't be using it. I honestly think nobody should use it but again you and I are treading on shaky ground since we would be seen as language policing. Nobody likes being told what word that they can or cannot use.

We are talking about JonTron and the guy that he debated that brought all of this up, Destiny. Destiny has skeletons in his closet as well. Of course, not many people seem to be condemning him as much as JonTron, both guys deserve to be criticized. JonTron is an idiot but I still don't get why Destiny pretty much falls through the cracks.
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
It's not about telling people they can't use it though, but telling people about what reality is like and how to best make the word go away to the extent of which it's possible. Again, you don't have to think it's the right way to go on about it on principle. But it probably is the most efficient one regardless.

To give another example, a lot of Americans didn't vote for Clinton despite not wanting Trump for president. Ideally, there would have been other choices. But the reality was that at some point it became clear that it was going to be either of them and that other candidates no longer stood a chance. By then, the reality became that any vote not cast on Clinton would contribute to the victory of Trump, regardless of whether you think that's how it should be or not.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
It's not about telling people they can't use it though, but telling people about what reality is like and how to best make the word go away to the extent of which it's possible. Again, you don't have to think it's the right way to go on about it on principle. But it probably is the most efficient one regardless.

To give another example, a lot of Americans didn't vote for Clinton despite not wanting Trump for president. Ideally, there would have been other choices. But the reality was that at some point it became clear that it was going to be either of them and that other candidates no longer stood a chance. By then, the reality became that any vote not cast on Clinton would contribute to the victory of Trump, regardless of whether you think that's how it should be or not.

Morgan Freeman actually had some pretty sound arguments against racism and BLM, which could also apply to the n word. [video=youtube;N0p_pQ7PTYU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0p_pQ7PTYU[/video]

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
We're getting a bit off topic here, but I don't particularly agree with Freeman on this. Again, ideally relevant history of black Americans should just be considered "American history" as with anything related to white Americans. But in order to get there, as it stands right now you still need that one month raise awareness. Also, I'm not American myself but even I can tell that his argument about how race isn't a factor in the wealth and success of a citizen is a load of bollocks. Not everyone in the US has an equal shot at the American dream. But that's a different discussion.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
Yeah, would you guys mind if someone simply made a new thread to discuss these topics? I just feel like we're getting very off-thread here, we should stick to Strawberry's original topic :D

Anyone here watched annoying orange as a kid? I unsubscribed a while ago, but I remember getting sooooo excited when they announced they'd have a new Cartoon Network show dedicated to the Annoying Orange.

EDIT: Not that these topics aren't important, just that this is turning into a political thread as opposed to a thread specifically about youtubers you've unsubscribed to. Not that your reasons aren't political, but we should keep it more focused to the original topic. If someone is willing to create a Social Justice thread or politically correct thread or even a Jontron v Destiny thread, I think that's a wonderful idea, just try to keep the topic more focused :)

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards
I feel maybe there was a bit of a tangent on JonTron, so I'll end my comments on him with this post.
Jon has posted a video discussing these events, and honestly, it was a trash response.

It's been fun Jon, but it's time for me to love you and leave you.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
Yeah, would you guys mind if someone simply made a new thread to discuss these topics? I just feel like we're getting very off-thread here, we should stick to Strawberry's original topic :D

Anyone here watched annoying orange as a kid? I unsubscribed a while ago, but I remember getting sooooo excited when they announced they'd have a new Cartoon Network show dedicated to the Annoying Orange.

EDIT: Not that these topics aren't important, just that this is turning into a political thread as opposed to a thread specifically about youtubers you've unsubscribed to. Not that your reasons aren't political, but we should keep it more focused to the original topic. If someone is willing to create a Social Justice thread or politically correct thread or even a Jontron v Destiny thread, I think that's a wonderful idea, just try to keep the topic more focused :)
So, the Annoying Orange went the way of Fred?

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards
Both Annoying Orange and Fred were YouTube shows I could not stand. A lot of my friends loved what I believe was one where Fred was in a swimming pool and were like "YOU GOTTA WATCH THIS". I think that was when we were like, 12, 13? Can't remember when Fred started tbh.

They then became the "Ugh, Fred is so unfunny. Fuck people who like him, they're little kids wow". Funny how that happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back