• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
What's a hitbox? The area where a character can be a hit? And can someone explain framerates to me?

Yeah, hitboxes are the invisible boxes that surround your character (though they are circles in UMvC3). In programs that show hitboxes, they are typically green. There are also hurtboxes, typically shown in red, which is the area of an attack that will hurt the opponent should it collide with a hitbox (you know, not factoring in blocking and invincible moves and all that).

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "framerates." That's typically used to determine whether or not someone's video is hiccuping under heavy graphical pressure, lol

I'm going to assume you just mean frames. "Time" in a fighting game is all about frames (not the little clock in the middle of the top of the screen). Most fighting games (at least modern ones) are 60 fps. So a single frame is 1/60 of a second (and all of the sudden, the concept of "one-frame links" in SF just go scarier :p). Everything relating to time is determined by frames. The amount of start up a move has, the amount of frames the move is active for, the amount of recovery frames it has, the amount of invincible frames it has, all of it is determined by frames. If I use a move with six frames of start up at the same time you use a move with eight frames of start up, I will hit you (assuming I am in range, and assuming that your move has no invincibility).

Don't worry though, you don't need to be a frame number-cruncher in order to be good. Of course, it would be a good idea to check frame data if you have specific questions relating to how fast a move is or whether or not something is invincible and at what point it's invincible at.

EDIT: Aww, I typed all this up for nothing ;-;

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
All this talk of the game is making me want to get it lmao xP However, let me just ask, who has this game for the PS3 and who has it for 360? I would get it for PS3, so if not many people here have it for that as well...I might just stick to waiting for SFxT or the next rendition in MvC3...

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
I'm on PS3, just not able to play a whole lot. I was sort of surprised this many people actually still play this myself.

King Naruto

Retired (for now)
Awards
Creating bonds to save our world and bring peace
The reason people still place this alot is because UMVC3 is officially part of pro tourneys (of which I plan to attend) and EVO. It's a big name fighting game now and so people are gonna play in hopes of winning tourneys. Also the game is freakin flashy.

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
Yeah it's become extremely popular in the fighting scene. I'd love to start attending tournaments this summer, but it seems like most of them don't ever come remotely close to where I'm at on the east coast.

edit: felt the need to post this
http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman/blog/2012/01/04/psn_update:_marvel_vs._capcom_sale
Shuma and Jill are 2$, all the costumes are now 3$. All my rage when I blew my last 2$ on PSN on some costumes for inFAMOUS 2 awhile ago, instead of getting Shuma.

kupo1121

Awards
The reason people still place this alot is because UMVC3 is officially part of pro tourneys (of which I plan to attend) and EVO. It's a big name fighting game now and so people are gonna play in hopes of winning tourneys. Also the game is freakin flashy.

This is what scares me for SFxT, since I don't think that it is going to have a decent tourney backing -__- stupid gem system...

Also, yeah, I'm not in it for tourneys, though I tend to play with people who do play in tourneys so I'm mediocre lets say xP

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Well, I would hope that SFxT's potential lack of a large competitive scene would be due to it being designed for more casual audiences (not an inherently bad thing, btw); because contrary to popular belief, there is actually very little wrong with the gem system :/

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
I completely agree. I think the second people realized "whoa, everything isn't balanced in a very specific way!" it was sort of put in a position where people are used to knowing what to expect upon fighting certain characters and now that it's gone people want gems gone. I still think SF X Tekken might be sort of big in tourneys once the game is released and people start to appreciate the game more for what it is. Just today we found out it's going to be one of the games at EVO this year, if that wasn't incredibly obvious beforehand.

King Naruto

Retired (for now)
Awards
Creating bonds to save our world and bring peace
I have like no excitement for SFxT and it was the gem system at first but, Rolento instead of Sean pissed me off to no end and I haven't checked on it since september so, I don't know if Jin is there. I'll probably still play but, gems still put me off.

kupo1121

Awards
I completely agree. I think the second people realized "whoa, everything isn't balanced in a very specific way!" it was sort of put in a position where people are used to knowing what to expect upon fighting certain characters and now that it's gone people want gems gone. I still think SF X Tekken might be sort of big in tourneys once the game is released and people start to appreciate the game more for what it is. Just today we found out it's going to be one of the games at EVO this year, if that wasn't incredibly obvious beforehand.

I think gems will be fine and dandy once I understand them, but I just dislike the concept of them. Some of them aren't bad (speed, cross gauge, etc.) but the brute strength you can acquire from them is a bit over the top in my opinion. I know this is rare, but it is possible to get a 50% damage increase if you are able to activate all 5 (very unlikely). Now gems only last around 15 seconds, which I thought was short. However, consider you are Lili against a 50% attack increase Zangief. You are basically forced to run for those seconds and waste precious time because if he gets you in a combo...consider yourself dead -__- I think this should be moved to the SFxT thread, so sorry for bringing it up, but as of right now I dislike it. I played the game at New York Comic con and I liked it very much without the gems. We'll see how it is with the gems <_< The only thing that keeps me going is Chun and Xiaoyu being in the game together...

I have like no excitement for SFxT and it was the gem system at first but, Rolento instead of Sean pissed me off to no end and I haven't checked on it since september so, I don't know if Jin is there. I'll probably still play but, gems still put me off.

This. I know this is what I'll do as well, except I think I'll really try to give the gems a chance.

Efflictim

cuck
Awards
So, let's do a tournament for both 360 and PS3. Should I make a new thread for it or keep it in this one?

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
So, let's do a tournament for both 360 and PS3. Should I make a new thread for it or keep it in this one?

Aw shit. Question, when is it going to start? Because, I want to get this game, I may get it soon, but I don't have it.

Salty the Hero

self loafer
Awards
let's do this tourney, i'll crush all ya'll

XBL: SaltyDisaster
ghost rider/retard legs(modok)/wesker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back