• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► The Lion King - From the director who brought you The Jungle Book 2016

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanydx reborn

The Superior Lanydx
Awards
I'll say this, the movies done so far aren't bad. I wouldn't they're great but they're not bad.

The problem I have with them, aside from Disney remaking every. Freaking. Movie they've done (and yet we'll probably never have a live action Atlantis: The Lost Empire because Disney wants to pretend one of their greatest movies ever never happened) is that...how do I put this? It's like, just how Bohemian Rhapsody is everyone's Bohemian Rhapsody, and Ghostbusters is everyone's Ghostbusters , The Lion King is everyone's Lion King.

It'd be one thing if the Disney movies that have been redone (and those that will be) have left the consciousness of society. But none of these films need any sort of revitalizing or whatnot (at least to me.)

Also I just hate remakes.

Also also, if Disney's gonna keep making "live action" remakes, then I demand Gargoyles (and Atlantis)

Cause apparently, if the cg is done realistically, it's considered live action.
I would kill for a live Atlantis movie. As for the Loin King...Ehhh, I haven't really watched any of since I was disappointed by Maleficent.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
???????????????????????

First off Kingdom Hearts is a video game which has no where near the same kind of tools being used to develop its visuals like a CG film.

Second, it's gonna look like The Jungle Book considering they hired Jon Favreau to direct. Not Square Enix's development team from 2005.

Did you watch The Jungle Book?

Well, the 1967 film was pretty vapid of any solid story besides "Mowgli needs to get to the human village because Sher Khan is gonna eat him time for some silly songs!" so it wasn't hard for the 2016 film to top it.

I doubt it will top TLK because that film was good in every way possible.

Yes, I have. I just wish that Disney could stop rehashing their old properties. I mean, Disney could basically make a movie off of the deleted material that they had with The Lion King. I am sure they could work it out and make it it's own franchise. I would like it if Disney did go back to 2D animation, I am not really a fan of the whole CGI. So, seeing a 2D animation in theaters would be a breath of fresh air.

Also, they could make a Lion King sequel like they have before with Kion and probably focus on him finding and establishing his own pride, but passing his tips of being the former Lion Guard to Kovu and Kiara's kids or his niece/nephew.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I expect from this the same I expect from B&tB live-action: a hopefully good movie. None of these re-makes will be remembered like the animated films, so it really doesn't bother me. I'm sure in 2040, Disney will be re-making the re-makes.

Kaijuguy19

Yes, I have. I just wish that Disney could stop rehashing their old properties. I mean, Disney could basically make a movie off of the deleted material that they had with The Lion King. I am sure they could work it out and make it it's own franchise. I would like it if Disney did go back to 2D animation, I am not really a fan of the whole CGI. So, seeing a 2D animation in theaters would be a breath of fresh air.

Also, they could make a Lion King sequel like they have before with Kion and probably focus on him finding and establishing his own pride, but passing his tips of being the former Lion Guard to Kovu and Kiara's kids or his niece/nephew.

Problem is that America isn't really interested in seeing 2D movies in theaters anymore. Last time they did didn't do so well in the box office so sad as it is that'll never happen for a long time if ever.

Besides it's not like 2D animation's fully gone from Disney Animations. They're experimenting ways to help keep it alive in some manner or another like what they've done with most of their recent shorts so it's not like they've forgotten it. You'd be surprised how they can find ways to use CGI for a whole other means. After all look at how the Lego movie was able to make it look and feel like a stop motion movie or like how the new Godzilla movie,Shin Godzilla made it so you can't tell if it was CGI or not. Believe me CGI has gone such a long way since Toy Story that they can find ways to amaze us in more ways then one so I don't get how CGI looks awkward because while that might have been true years ago when it was first being used that's no longer the case today.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
I'm so bored of arguments about how people hate remakes. Almost everything Disney does is a remake, reimagining or adaptation.

Some of the classic 2d animated films weren't Walt's first pass at fairy tales, but technology advanced and the more he created, the more he wanted to explore. Could you imagine a world where Cinderella wasn't made because Walt had already done it in the 20s for Laugh O Grams?

The Lion King, too, isn't above interpretation and adaptation - being based on Hamlet to begin with. If Disney never did anything with its properties, they would - in fact, fade from public consciousness. It's already started:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqtrjPGIZxY

Moreover, if they never experimented with their IP, we never would have things like Kingdom Hearts or the excellent, jaw-dropping broadway musical version of the Lion King which is, in my opinion, a master piece that shook me harder than the animated film did.

Moreover, this doesn't really have anything to do with Disney exploring new IP (Moana, Zootopia, Gigantic) or experimenting with animation. Hand-drawn isn't dead, it's just not lucrative or able to be innovated right now.

Alpha Sonix

I'm so bored of arguments about how people hate remakes. Almost everything Disney does is a remake, reimagining or adaptation.

Some of the classic 2d animated films weren't Walt's first pass at fairy tales, but technology advanced and the more he created, the more he wanted to explore. Could you imagine a world where Cinderella wasn't made because Walt had already done it in the 20s for Laugh O Grams?

The Lion King, too, isn't above interpretation and adaptation - being based on Hamlet to begin with. If Disney never did anything with its properties, they would - in fact, fade from public consciousness. It's already started:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqtrjPGIZxY

Moreover, if they never experimented with their IP, we never would have things like Kingdom Hearts or the excellent, jaw-dropping broadway musical version of the Lion King which is, in my opinion, a master piece that shook me harder than the animated film did.

Moreover, this doesn't really have anything to do with Disney exploring new IP (Moana, Zootopia, Gigantic) or experimenting with animation. Hand-drawn isn't dead, it's just not lucrative or able to be innovated right now.

Mein Gott! A world in which Pinocchio's "Wish Upon A Star" is forgotten is not a world I wish to live in.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
Especially with Scar since his hind is reddish brown. From what I have seen, lions like him don't occur in the wild.

While they overdid it in the coloring, Scar was based on the Barbary Lion, a species that went extinct somewhere in the middle of the 20th century.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
I thought The Jungle Book wasn't bad, but I didn't expect much either. I quite enjoyed the voice acting from Christopher Walken and Bill Murray was just ok. Therefore, I will see The Lion King, but probably when it gets close to DVD/Blu-ray.

The movie will surely be a technological marvel.

Ya know, I've actually wondered what movies would fit this role. The only movie that truly comes to my mind about being a "technological marvel" is James Cameron's Avatar, but that's really it. What would be others and what's the criteria?

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
While they overdid it in the coloring, Scar was based on the Barbary Lion, a species that went extinct somewhere in the middle of the 20th century.

Ah, that's good to know.

I honestly think it's too soon for Disney to remake TLK, especially for Simba. If Disney wanted to make a Lion King movie then maybe combine all the plotholes and the new introductions like Kion and The Lion Guard.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Ah, that's good to know.

I honestly think it's too soon for Disney to remake TLK, especially for Simba. If Disney wanted to make a Lion King movie then maybe combine all the plotholes and the new introductions like Kion and The Lion Guard.

it makes literally no sense for them to do that, the lion guard isn't even truly canon to the original movie.

And its been like 25 years since lion king came out, how long should they wait?

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
it makes literally no sense for them to do that, the lion guard isn't even truly canon to the original movie.

And its been like 25 years since lion king came out, how long should they wait?
What about Simba's Pride?

Fifty years, perhaps. I just don't think the director will top the original since it's one of Disney's biggest cash cows!

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
What about Simba's Pride?

Fifty years, perhaps. I just don't think the director will top the original since it's one of Disney's biggest cash cows!

The movie being profitable has nothing to do with it's status as a classic, and it being profitable has everything to do with why it's being remade.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards

That's an interesting find. For The Jungle Book remake, King Louie was based of the Giganthipicious because Jon Favreau wanted to be culturally accurate to India. I wonder if the Live Action version of Scar would be more aware of being a Barbary Lion and use that as a plot device? Scar being jealous of Simba being the next King as an ordinary Lion despite Scar being the last of his kind?

Anyway, it's about time that this remake happened. And I'm glad that Jon Favreau is in the helms. He made The Jungle Book so entertaining that I loathe the animated version in comparison to the Live Action retelling.

Crimson Jazz

You ain't got no YEEZY!?!
If James Earl Jones and Jeremy Irons don't reprise their roles as Mufasa and Scar, then I want nothing to do with this remake. And Nathan Line as Timon. And Whoopi and Cheech.

Aside from that, I'm all aboard for this since The Jungle Book was freaking fantastic.

EDIT: Actually, scratch what I said about Jeremy Irons. I could definitely see Andy Serkis playing Scar.

Muke

whatever
Awards
Ugh. The Jungle Book was terrible. I have a bad feeling about this.

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
Ugh. The Jungle Book was terrible. I have a bad feeling about this.

General consensus around the movie seems to be that it was great. I loved it, and didn't like the original, but to each his own. I guess it depends on what you didn't like about the Jungle Book that would affect whether or not you should care about this one.

I'm also in the camp that would love to see at least some of the original voice actors return, especially Jermy Irons. There are their actors who can certainly pull off the roles well, but it wouldn't be the same without Irons for me. I love the actor, and his portrayal of Scar was top notch. I'll be interested in the movie regardless, but that would go such a long way.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Though none of the live-action films compare to the animated films and they aren't in my favorites of all time or anything, I've liked all the new films in one way or another. Well, except for Cinderella--which I only like moments of (like HBC as the fairy godmother, Richard Madden's tight pants, and Blanchett's wardrobe), but generally was let-down by.

I'm hoping this film includes a couple of the best songs from the Broadway musical and the Scar-Nala plot to differentiate it more from the animated film.

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
Though none of the live-action films compare to the animated films and they aren't in my favorites of all time or anything, I've liked all the new films in one way or another. Well, except for Cinderella--which I only like moments of (like HBC as the fairy godmother, Richard Madden's tight pants, and Blanchett's wardrobe), but generally was let-down by.

I'm hoping this film includes a couple of the best songs from the Broadway musical and the Scar-Nala plot to differentiate it more from the animated film.

Yeah I mostly agree with you. While I truly thought most of the live action movies were really good, they just don't quite compare to Disney's animated features. I did like the live action Jungle Book more than the original, but I still wouldn't consider it near my top Disney films or anything like that.

I too hope that they differentiate it from the originals enough. It'll help pull it away from some comparisons it'll obviously draw, and honestly be a bit more exciting to watch, knowing that there would be something new/different to look forward too. I'd expect that'll be the case considering how they've been handling everything else so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back