• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Lit ► The Giver

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesus

Hater-bending
Awards
Wait, this book has TWO sequels?
Why the hell wasnt I notified of this

Reflection

Princess of Heart
Awards
just finished gathering blue, it's not exactly a sequel...it's like a companion, like way in the future.
though there is this little bit:

There is a reference made by Matt to a boy of Kira's age, who has a name of two syllables, is eligible for marriage, and has eyes of "a very amazing blue". Throughout the story, the color blue is used as a metaphor for freedom and limitlessness; Matt's delivery of it to Kira marks the beginning of her creative community reforms. The boy in question is generally understood to be Jonas of The Giver, although his name is not mentioned.

as for the third one, it came out in 2004: messenger (novel) - wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
which is more the sequel because it follows characters established in both originals.

AngelsWhisper

shouldn't you be in a ray bradbury novel somewhere

i see what you did there lol I actually don't remember much about The Giver...expect the main char giving an old guy a sponge bath? That was odd lol but I think I enjoyed the mysterious aura that the book gave off when I first read it in elementary =D

Reflection

Princess of Heart
Awards
HAHA i remember that part. and my 5th grade class being disturbed. the teacher was like "now this is supposed to explore the idea of sexuality" and the entire class went silent.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I read The Giver and really enjoyed it up until the end, I hated the end because I took a pessimistic view of the situation... I wish I had been informed about the companion and sequel years ago when I read the original.

lilVon

live, laugh, lobotomy
Awards
the giver is the shit, the author has another post apoclyptic book that is a spiratual succesor to the giver (i think) i cant remeber the name, but its good also shes sappose to have one more futuristic type book but ive never herd or seen of it

Hamster Lord

Atrocity Exhibition
Awards
I love the part about stirrings. That was one of the best moments of this year by far. Our teacher, said this: "Ladies and Gentleman all your questions about sex will be answered in the next chapter so please stop asking me about this!" lol

Well we finished the book in class a few days ago, and I really liked it. I'm reading Gathering Blue and Messenger. Although I think Gathering Blue is more the same thing as Giver with a few differences, but Messenger is a direct sequel to Gathering Blue.

Last edited:

Hopeless

Website
www.jackedupondrpepper.deviantart.com
I absolutely love The Giver. Not the best book ever, but I love how it subtly picks apart the downside of utopian societies. I read it in sixth grade, which I think might have been too early, because I appreciated it more when I read it again a few years later. I don't want to read the other two companions because I almost feel like that would spoil it. I just want to draw my own conclusions at the end of the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back