• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Lit ► The Giver

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

LionHeart14

I'm suprised to not find a thread about this book, so I'll make one ^.^

The Giver is one of my favorite books; I think it's creative, interesting, and has a lot of meaning.
Anyone else read it? Do you like it?
And you can also discuss the companion books Gathering Blue and Messenger. Both of which were also very good :D

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I liked The Giver very much, Gathering Blue was also good. Messenger was okay, I liked the message of the book more than the writing itself.

Fractured_Heart628

Bronze Member
Yeah, I read the Giver a couple years ago. It was very interesting. But, I have yet to read the other two books of the series. I've heard that there was a movie based on the Giver. I don't know if it is true or not.

Ventus Air-Man

Wanderer
Awards
The Giver was very good. It was inspirational and portrayed a lot of feeling. Coincidentally, I just finished Gathering Blue this morning, but I thought it wasn't as good, if you compare the two. I haven't read Messenger yet.

Aria

braver by the minute
I have mixed feelings about the Giver. I can't decide if I love it or hate it yet xP

LionHeart14

The Giver was very good. It was inspirational and portrayed a lot of feeling. Coincidentally, I just finished Gathering Blue this morning, but I thought it wasn't as good, if you compare the two. I haven't read Messenger yet.

The Giver is definately the best book in the series. Gathering Blue was definately my least favorite, but that's just because nothing really happened... There wasn't exactly a main conflict or anything.
Messenger's pretty good; I liked it better than Gathering Blue but not nearly as much as The Giver.

Ventus Air-Man

Wanderer
Awards
^Good to know. I did think that Gathering Blue was worse than The Giver. Like you said, there never wasn't really a main conflict.

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
I thought Lois Lowry's "The Giver" was a beautiful and strange piece of fiction. I cannot even remember now when it was I first read it (funny, given the subject of the book); it could have been anywhere between my fifth and ninth grades. I couldn't have told you what most of it was about, when I first read it, at least in terms of what it all 'signified'--I hated questions like that in reading, and still do in some ways. But the book itself I loved. I 'stole' a copy from my high school a few years ago -some freshman I assume had left it in a bio class I was in, and when they didn't claim it by the end of the year, I took it for myself-, and I really ought to reread it sometime. Ah! the description of the color red:

The Giver said:
Dumbfounded, he stared at [the sled]. This time it was not a fleeting impression. This time the sled had -- and continued to have, as he blinked, and stared at it again -- that same mysterious quality that the apple had had so briefly. And Fiona's hair. The sled did not change. It simply was -- whatever the thing was.

[...]

"I'm right, then," The Giver said. "You're beginning to see the color red."

Roa

piece of dying ember
Awards
I read the first one in 6th grade.

It was okay, i loved it, but it was just okay. i don't plan on reading it or antyhing again, sadly.

Superschlock

Don't you step out of line
Awards
I hated the ending and the fact that I had to read it along with the rest of the class ruined it for me

loke13

Waiting on FF XV and KH3 :D
This book is an abomination it deserves to have every single copy of it burned and destroyed.

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
I only read The Giver. Are there sequels? And is it the book where the world has no hot or cold, and no color? If so, it was a pretty fantastic book if I do say so myself.

Neko

Keep Holding On
Awards
This was one of my summer reading books for 7th grade. I thought it was a pretty okay book, but it kind of made me upset. I really didn`t like the ending all that much I think. I barely remember it though. I wanted to read the companion books but never did.

AxelYoYo

RAWR
Awards
The Giver was a little confusing to me. Well, at the end it was.
The other two books I haven't started.

Apollo

Silver Member
I remember it being a pretty good book. But the ending made me wanna read the other two books... never found them/got around to it.

Wintertide

Sp00ky GuRl
Awards
I thought it was OK. It isn't good enough to make me go out and read the other two sequels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back