• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Tales RPG Series

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastKnight

You Swear To Listen
Website
s9.invisionfree.com
The series of the Tales games by Namco and Bandai Namco are awesome, 'nuff said. But really...

The Tales RPG series uses a Linear Motion Battle System (LMBS) that I think is really neat and innovative. If you've ever played Star Ocean, the battles are set up the same way, where each character moves on a field separate from whatever map they're on. Unlike Star Ocean though, you move in a straight line, although some games now use free running. HP is like any other RPG and TP is used a lot like MP.

Tales of Graces uses a different kind of linear battle system, but I forget what it's called. Graces uses a CC (Chain Capacity) system, where characters can execute whatever move they choose but only based on the CC they have., and using the said move burns up the amount of CC required, and the CC eventually regains. There are others that use different kinds of AP or CC systems but I haven't played them, or they haven't been released over seas.

Games like Tales of Symphonia and Tales of The Abyss have such great replay value, I think I've gone through them at least 7-8 times. The series is growing and more of their games are coming overseas, including Tales of Xillia which is set to release on the 6th of August (I think). If you haven't played these games, I recommend doing so.

So what is your favorite Tales RPG? And is everyone excited for Xillia as much as I am? Cause I'm pumped.

Bhunivelze

Xilia looks awesome and I can't wait. It looks great as a video game, not just because I'm a fan of JRPG's.

I've played Tales of the Abyss. It was surprisingly good.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
tbh the biggest thing that's stopped me from getting into this series is how bland the art direction is

i don't think i could come up with more generic and forgettable designs (done in the most generic anime way possible) if i tried

legendia had a really good soundtrack though

iDrops

It's a Farce...
Awards
I've been playing Tales of Vesperia these last few days, it's my first Tales game. So far I love it, it's so addicting.

As for Xillia, I might get it since it looks amazing so far. The story doesn't really seem that interesting to me though, but that's just my first impression which could change.

Roronoa Zoro

Always on the lookout for aliens
Don't really see why you should care but I might b
Only one I played was Abyss. I enjoyed it alot. Was waiting for the ps3 version of Vesperia to come overseas but it never came, causing me to have a permanent middle finger attitude towards the series.

EDIT: So I just found this: PS3 Hack makes JRPG speak English

And this: http://www.talesofvesperia.net/

If you look to the right side you can see the project's almost done. The forums are active. The middle finger may one day rest.

iDrops

It's a Farce...
Awards
Only one I played was Abyss. I enjoyed it alot. Was waiting for the ps3 version of Vesperia to come overseas but it never came, causing me to have a permanent middle finger attitude towards the series.

EDIT: So I just found this: PS3 Hack makes JRPG speak English

And this: Tales of Vesperia PS3 English Translation Group

If you look to the right side you can see the project's almost done. The forums are active. The middle finger may one day rest.
When I first heard about Vesperia I was so excited about getting on PS3, only to find out it was never going to be released outside of Japan which kinda annoyed me. Luckily, I was able to get my hands on an Xbox to play the game but I still wouldn't mind a PS3 version, especially since it has extra content.

At least there are some people still doing an English translation. I didn't expect it to be almost done, I thought it was scrapped. I'm not willing to jailbreak my PS3 though...

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Legendia is my favorite game in the series, easily. I don't even care if the combat was a huge step backwards, everything else rocked.

I've heard Vesperia is good, but Bamco is a dick to NA PS3 fans apparently *shrugs*

Roronoa Zoro

Always on the lookout for aliens
Don't really see why you should care but I might b
When I first heard about Vesperia I was so excited about getting on PS3, only to find out it was never going to be released outside of Japan which kinda annoyed me. Luckily, I was able to get my hands on an Xbox to play the game but I still wouldn't mind a PS3 version, especially since it has extra content.

At least there are some people still doing an English translation. I didn't expect it to be almost done, I thought it was scrapped. I'm not willing to jailbreak my PS3 though...

I think there's a way to get it without jailbreaking your ps3, they talked about it on the forums.

Tales of Xilla looks pretty interesting.

Bobjam

Awards
Been playing Tales of Graces f recently and even though I am now over 15 hours into it I really still cannot get into the combat system of the game. Maybe its just cause I am terrible at it but I just can't seem to feel like I have complete control over what the hell is going on in battles. Aside from that such a great game and excited about Xilla for sure. Has anyone else who has played Graces found the combat system interesting to handle?

Redfive

Banned
Awards
The only Tales game I've ever played was Tales of the abyss which was "okay" I mean don't get me wrong it was definitely a unique game to play but it seemed like there were WAY to many features to be played in a single play through (or five), and the story line was way to complex giving you story line twists every five minutes which was a big harassment for me. Character development was GREAT IMO. It felt like every individual person had a different personality and their own agenda and code. Favorite top five characters were Luke, Van, Guy, Tear, and Anise.

Nine-Tailed Fox

?˖✧ Army of One ✧˖?
Awards
Website
sailorstar-fox.livejournal.com
This is the ONE thread I shouldn't be allowed to post in-- too late~ haha

tbh the biggest thing that's stopped me from getting into this series is how bland the art direction is

i don't think i could come up with more generic and forgettable designs (done in the most generic anime way possible) if i tried

legendia had a really good soundtrack though

Try not to let the art get to you too much. I personally enjoy some of the designs, but that's just me. The stories and characters especially are what this series is KNOWN for. (and the battle systems-- but everyone has strong preferences about those haha)

Legendia is famous for it's soundtrack if nothing else lol.

Legendia is my favorite game in the series, easily. I don't even care if the combat was a huge step backwards, everything else rocked.

I've heard Vesperia is good, but Bamco is a dick to NA PS3 fans apparently *shrugs*

I actually enjoyed Legendia to a certain extent-- it seems to be the FFXIII of the Tales series (whereas Abyss is the FFVII), but it really isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

To many (including myself), Vesperia is among the few greats in the series' (others being Hearts, Symphonia, Xillia/Xillia 2, Abyss, etc.). There were some issues in the past with the games getting localized, and Vesperia lost it's chance of making it over here thanks to that. They're doing everything possible to make it up to the fans now, though. And for various reasons, I know that Hideo Baba is a really, really nice guy.

So as much as it stings that we'll never see the Tales version of a final mix make it stateside, at this point i've realized it's better to leave the topic alone and look forward to all the games they are giving us.

Been playing Tales of Graces f recently and even though I am now over 15 hours into it I really still cannot get into the combat system of the game. Maybe its just cause I am terrible at it but I just can't seem to feel like I have complete control over what the hell is going on in battles. Aside from that such a great game and excited about Xilla for sure. Has anyone else who has played Graces found the combat system interesting to handle?

Phew! I always felt like I was the only one who didn't really get into Graces battle system as much as i'd hoped. It's a bit akward to use (the CC system and whatnot), though i've gotten pretty used to it by now. I prefer Vesperia's battle system, but Xillia 2's is actually pretty fun and addicting (it's basically the same as Xillia's-- minus the weapon swapping mid-battle).

So yeah!! Tales of Xillia releases tomorrow, Tales of Symphonia Chronicles will be coming to us sometime early 2014, and it's been officially confirmed that we'll be seeing an english release of Tales of Xillia 2!! (which by the way guys has a pretty amazing plot / plot twists) Really looking forward to ToX2's localization~

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Huh, I was always under the impression that Symphonia was the VII of the Tales series.

Nine-Tailed Fox

?˖✧ Army of One ✧˖?
Awards
Website
It's hard to say-- both Abyss and Symphonia seem to fit that position lol. I guess maybe I would say Symphonia takes that spot, only because it is slightly more overrated than Abyss I believe (but to be fair, the reasons for that lie mostly in the fact that it was a slightly older game which isn't it's fault).

iDrops

It's a Farce...
Awards
I think there's a way to get it without jailbreaking your ps3, they talked about it on the forums.
I believe the only other way was to have a certain version of PS3, or something like that. It doesn't really matter though, Vesperia was really great anyway without a SE.

Now I need a new Tales game to play, I'm actually leaning towards Xillia because it just looks beautiful. I'll see what kind of reviews it gets when it's released in the US then I will think about buying it. Famitsu gave it a high score though.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Just started Tales of Xillia.

God, I swear, no other series can evoke this kind of nostalgia in me. I cannot get enough of it.

Nine-Tailed Fox

?˖✧ Army of One ✧˖?
Awards
Website
Tales of Xillia is amazing so far. I was so afriad that I was putting it up on this pedestal, and that i'd be majorly disappointed because of that-- but instead i'm just wow.

Haven't even gotten past the Kijara Seafalls though because i'm addicted to leveling up my Lilium Orb(s) and Expanding shops.

I had already watched tons of Xillia livestreams, but playing it in english, the cast has so much personality. I don't want to speak too soon but it's porobably gonna top Vesperia as my favorite in the series.

Synthic

Graces f is so far my only tales game and I loved it alot. The skits are just pure genious, funny and add a lot to the characters and makes it worthwhile to explore and revisit places xD

I also had a tough time getting into the combat system. Especially as my first Tales game, the linear motion combat felt unfamiliar and weird to start off with. Wasn't untill way into the game I finally felt I had gotten the grip of that and the CC system. If I remember correctly I spent somewhat 60 hours on my first playthrough through the story with alot of side questing and goofing around of course :p So you got many funny hours ahead of you :p

Not to mention Tales Of Xillia is only 1 day away here in Europe(!) can't wait !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back