• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Sora's ethnicity?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

What do you think?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunomous

What do you think he is? American or Japanese?
He has brown hair and blue eyes, which Japanese people don't have...

& yes I know Neku lives in Shibuya and has orange hair and blue eyes, but they never said he was BORN there.

Just something I've been thinking of lately.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
He's of indeterminate nationality. Hell, the idea of ethnicity doesn't exist in KH, so anything we say is based on our own conception of ethnicity and not that which is present in the game.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Lol Sora is a human. None of the characters have a determinable ethnic group because they don't need to. Kingdom Hearts exists outside our societal norms, and really there is no need to classify him as anything.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
This has to be the single stupidest thread of 2011.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
It isn't really stupid. Many people do question what Sora's ethnicity is. Some do it for writing purposes, others are just plain curious.

Also, I have never heard of "American" as an ethnic group. Being American is a culture and a nationality, completely separate from ethnicity. If the OP wanted to be more accurate they would have said Caucasian or Japanese.

lol ethnic woman talking about ethnic groups

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
It isn't really stupid. Many people do question what Sora's ethnicity is. Some do it for writing purposes, others are just plain curious.

Also, I have never heard of "American" as an ethnic group. Being American is a culture and a nationality, completely separate from ethnicity. If the OP wanted to be more accurate they would have said Caucasian or Japanese.

lol ethnic woman talking about ethnic groups

I guess your right. But does everybody have to bring race into the subject? For the love of God.

Youniquee

Awards
When DDD News gets old = People just start making random subjects to discuss, that I can't even-

Awards
*Distracted by Sunomous' avatar*

Uhh, Well I wouldn't think that was thought up in his creation, however if we were to take any hints we could go with his name, which is Japanese.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards

Uhh, Well I wouldn't think that was thought up in his creation, however if we were to take any hints we could go with his name, which is Japanese.

I noticed it, too, but I decided not to point it out because it would've radically changed the subject.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
When DDD News gets old = People just start making random subjects to discuss, that I can't even-

lolol. First Sora's favorite color, then his weight. Now his ethnicity. Next we'll get a thread talking about what his favorite food is.

Yeah, the avatar is rather um...yup.

Well, I can have a Japanese name and be an Afro-Indian. I don't think names are the best indicator of ethnicity, even if commonly Japanese people would be given Japanese names.

I would take note that Sora, Riku, and Kairi have their names spelled in Katakana and not Hiragana or Kanji. It might just be a stylistic thing, but I've always seen it as a way to have audiences keep in mind that Sora and co. aren't explicitly Japanese and that they are beyond ethnicity and nationality.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
lolol. First Sora's favorite color, then his weight. Now his ethnicity. Next we'll get a thread talking about what his favorite food is.

Yeah, the avatar is rather um...yup.

Well, I can have a Japanese name and be an Afro-Indian. I don't think names are the best indicator of ethnicity, even if commonly Japanese people would be given Japanese names.

I would take note that Sora, Riku, and Kairi have their names spelled in Katakana and not Hiragana or Kanji. It might just be a stylistic thing, but I've always seen it as a way to have audiences keep in mind that Sora and co. aren't explicitly Japanese and that they are beyond ethnicity and nationality.

That, my friend, is a great idea.

MangaCrazy101

The Blonde
Awards
Website
mangacrazy101.blogspot.com
I don't know I've always just seen Sora as a kid with brown, gravity defying (not literally) hair and big blue eyes.
As other people have said Ethnicity doesn't really matter in a game, just as long as you like it or unless it's a vital part of the game play.
Don;t worry Sunomous I love you avvie :)

digimikej

Awards
oh god you had to mention his avatar. now,after reading the thread 4 all of 10 seconds, i went back and looked at it and.......um..........what is this i dont even...........

on the thread topic,i believe he is supposed to look both japanese and white.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back