• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Save Points or Autosave?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
No, I don't. I'm just saying, the series is geared towards younger players, and if the save mechanics suddenly changed, wouldn't that lead to problems?
You a weak playa.
Being able to save wherever you want would lead to problems, you silly nuggets.
Like what?

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread an example of a chest that you can no longer get. As far as my recollection goes, there's never been a situation like that in KH.
I was thinking that too :p

Ratchet and Clank has the worst menu save thing I reckon. You save, but when you load it up again you're back to the start of the level, and you might not have any teleporter to take you back to where you were up to.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
If you can save from the menu, there can be heal points/exit to world map points around that look identical to past game save points.

Youniquee

Awards
I prefer save from the menu. That means you save whenever you want, not needing worry about the game automatically saving when you didn't want it to~
By auto-saving, will it save at specific times? That means it's basically like save points then? But automatic. Unless it auto-saves every second.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
Relying on save points to regain health makes you weak. You're a weak playa. For shame.

It's not just relying on save points for health. In KH2, the save points allowed you to leave the world and quickly refill your drive gauge for leveling up the forms easily.

However, being able to save from the menu or even better...board the gummi ship wherever you want would be a lifesaver. There have been so many times where I need to leave a world, but I am not near any of the save points that exit to the world map -__-

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread an example of a chest that you can no longer get. As far as my recollection goes, there's never been a situation like that in KH.

Sorry if I am misinterpreting this, but are you saying that you didn't think of an example where there is a chest you can no longer get? If so, there is one in Oogie's Manor in KH1 behind a red trinity mark to the right of you in a closet the second you enter the mano. If you do not use it then, and you opt to beat Oogie Boogie first, the manor destroys itself along with the the trinity mark and you will never be able to complete Jiminy's Journal because you never used that mark. -__-

Also, as much as I think menus would be great, I think save points are a nice tradition to KH, so I had to opt to keep only them xP

padlock

Awards
Ratchet and Clank has the worst menu save thing I reckon. You save, but when you load it up again you're back to the start of the level, and you might not have any teleporter to take you back to where you were up to.

You mean you can't handle a little level re-tread? You are weakness incarnate <3

Also. nothing wrong with the current system, why change it? I prefer to have a visual marker on screen compared to something in a menu. I always turn off Oblivion or Pokemon after playing for a few hours forgetting to save and it makes me rage hard hahaha.

I don't have anything wrong with auto save as long as it is not the primary method of saving (which it almost never is).

blueheart

Bronze Member
I say stick with the classic save point.

I would hate auto saving for the game. I like to save certain spots in another save file sometimes so I can go back to that point, like for favorite boss battles. Or if I mess up on something I did or was supposed to do, I can go back and redo it the right way.

There isn't really any debate about this.

Although saving from the menu sounds nice.
But there should still be save points along with that. Where would you depart when you go back to worlds?
What if you want to go back to a certain area or near it?

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
Sorry if I am misinterpreting this, but are you saying that you can't think of an example where there is a chest you can no longer get? If so, there is one in Oogie's Manor in KH1 behind a red trinity mark to the right of you in a closet the second you enter the mano. If you do not use it then, and you opt to beat Oogie Boogie first, the manor destroys itself along with the the trinity mark and you will never be able to complete Jiminy's Journal because you never used that mark. -__-

Not can't, didn't.

That's the keyword: opt; choice. The example that was given was used against auto saving. I really doubt that trinity mark contained some item that was the best in it's category. It's a straw-man fallacy in that it's being exaggerated. People use that example, but it's hardly ever the case that you're going to miss something by accident.

You'll only really miss things if you didn't know they were there to begin with. Which I daresay, people who want to complete everything in the journal will be aware of through the use of internet lists and whatnot. Besides, seeing how completing Jiminy's Journal in KH1 is for completionists and not required, it's not that big of a deal.

I'm not saying it can't happen, only that's it's exaggerated and honestly, regardless of the save system, it can happen either way. I've had it happen in Dragon Age: Origins Awakening and that lets you save from the menu.

Shinjuku

Entrapment
As long as the save points aren't like KH2 I'd be fine (hint: you didn't have to walk very far to find one.)

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
If you can save from the menu, there can be heal points/exit to world map points around that look identical to past game save points.

Although saving from the menu sounds nice.
But there should still be save points along with that. Where would you depart when you go back to worlds?
What if you want to go back to a certain area or near it?

Guess you didn't read all of the posts :3 I solved that easily.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
Not can't, didn't.

That's the keyword: opt; choice. The example that was given was used against auto saving. I really doubt that trinity mark contained some item that was the best in it's category. It's a straw-man fallacy in that it's being exaggerated. People use that example, but it's hardly ever the case that you're going to miss something by accident.

You'll only really miss things if you didn't know they were there to begin with. Which I daresay, people who want to complete everything in the journal will be aware of through the use of internet lists and whatnot. Besides, seeing how completing Jiminy's Journal in KH1 is for completionists and not required, it's not that big of a deal.

I'm not saying it can't happen, only that's it's exaggerated and honestly, regardless of the save system, it can happen either way. I've had it happen in Dragon Age: Origins Awakening and that lets you save from the menu.

There, I changed my wording for sake of not confusing anyone. The only thing in the case was a Mythril, and it didn't matter what was in the chest, because any chests you missed in Oogie's Manor were found in a ditch directly under his manor after it was destroyed. It was never the problem that people missed the Mythril, but more the problem that people missed the Trinity Mark, thereby never being able to complete Jiminy's Journal on that save point. It is really only a problem to perfectionists who put their all into that file, just to find out that the could never fully complete that file due to a stupid fluke that SE missed in the game.

I do agree that it is being exaggerated, because besides that one example which was in the first Kingdom Hearts game ever made by SE, there have been no more chests or things like that in any KH game since that I know of (and I don't think they exist). I think people should give SE a break considering I'm almost 100% sure they learned to not repeat that again. Also, I don't think that example was used against menus because menus don't force you to save like auto-saving will, so if you save form the menu, that is on you <_<

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
Also, I don't think that example was used against menus because menus don't force you to save like auto-saving will, so if you save form the menu, that is on you <_<

Which example? The one about the chest? That was used against auto saving.

The reason I threw in the Dragon Age example was to point out that it can happen in any saving system. Yeah, it was me, but it was because I was unaware of the item until after I finished that dungeon.

To be fair, almost anything people miss is on the player, especially in KH where the games give you the leisure to get the majority of items.

Love Machine

strut strut strut
I'm telling you all. Save points like usual, but a temporary save file so you don't go all "fuck fuck fuck i didn't save!11!1"

Love Machine

strut strut strut
Temp saves have proven in many game series to be just as bad as not saving.

But in Kingdom Hearts, there are no times where realize, "Oh I dropped that and now I can't get it back because I saved!". The only thing temporary saves would do is start you back at the beginning of the room you were in.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
But in Kingdom Hearts, there are no times where realize, "Oh I dropped that and now I can't get it back because I saved!". The only thing temporary saves would do is start you back at the beginning of the room you were in.

Why would I want to start over from the beginning of the room? My point is whatever progress you may have made in the area you did a temp save in will be gone once you restart. There is no point to a temp save in my opinion.

Love Machine

strut strut strut
I'm talking about if you quit the game/console powers off. If you're in a room with a bunch of Heartless that would spawn when you got so far into the room, and the game shuts off, let's say unexpectedly, then you start it back up. I doubt it would be very great to start surrounded by a bunch of Heartless while standing in the middle of the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back