• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Movies

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

chaywa

A Picasso Reality
Anything by Satoshi Kon
Grave of the Fireflies
Akira
The Original Ghost in the Shell
BlackJack (mebbe)

I'd easily recommend the above over what Hayao Miyazaki is famed for

blinkboy211

A boy nobody owns
Awesome Movie.....

Anyway: There is of course already said
Howls Moving Castle
then there are:
Princess Monoko (my favorite)
Spirited Away
Bleach 2 movie was good
Fullmetal Alchemist movie
Newest One Piece movie was ok but times made me shake my head.

Tobuoi

Who's that girl?
Website
www.tobuoi.deviantart.com
There's Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. It's a Final Fantasy title, obviously, but it really has nothing to do with the series in terms of plot comprehensiveness. It's its own story, really. I dunno if you'd consider it anime...whatever. Other than that, I'm not really well-read ("watched," in this instance) when it comes to anime movies outside of Miyazaki's...

As for Akira, I, personally, wasn't too fond of it, but it's widely regarded as a classic so I would definitely reccommend watching it for knowledge's sake, if nothing else.

Tobuoi

Who's that girl?
Website
www.tobuoi.deviantart.com
I watched it dubbed, and from what I recall, it was pretty well-done...if you're really particular, though, it never hurts to watch it subbed...unless, of course, you can't keep up with the subtitles. That sucks.

Just watch the first ten minutes, subbed, and if you don't like it, change the setting to dubbed. : P

Ip Man

IIIIZAAAAAYAAAAA
Akira.
Samurai X.
Princess Mononoke.
Tokyo Godfathers.
Karas: The Prophecy.
Howl's Moving Castle.
Fist of the North Star Movie.
Ninja Scroll.
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade.

.Oji

赤いテキスト
Karas: The Prophecy.

I honestly don't understand why people like that movie. =/ Jin-Roh is good, though.

I'd recommend watching,"Sword of the Stranger." The animation is incredible, no joke.

Try 'Tales from Earthsea' as well, it was made by Hayao Miyazaki's son.

Zeph

imp of the perverse
These are all really good:
5 Centimeters Per Second
Origen: Spirits of the Past
Voices of a Distant Star
The Place Promised in Our Early Days

and I also recommend Grave of the Firefly's. Great anime.

chaywa

A Picasso Reality
Ah, I remember Spirits Within, and it wasn't all that good if I recall.

Another question(sorry if I seem a little picky, just want the best viewing pleasure) should I watch Akira subbed or the dubbed version? How about the other movies?

Always watch it subbed, mostly because it's the most authentic version and the voice actors add the intended depth of emotion at the right stages, rather than the faux-ness of english VAs. That being said Akira's dub was certainly better than most, albeit not a patch on Cowboy Bebop's

Truth's_Bond

Website
www.myspace.com
Any Hayao Miyazaki movie, seriously. The guy's amazing. X]
Oh, and I recommend The Cat Returns (it connects to Whisper of the Heart, another Miyazaki film, but it's not necessarily a sequel). It's a good movie. XD

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards
If you haven't, I'd say check out Appleseed. It's a good enough movie and the animation is top notch. But for the most part, you'll really want to watch it so you know what's happened for Appleseed: Ex Machina.
I don't know how long it's been out in the US, but it just came out here recently. The animation is beautiful and the story is a lot better.

FortuneCookie

Bronze Member
Awards
5 cm per second --> great animation that's as good as Miyazaki, it's sooooo pretty

the girl who leapt through time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back