• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Kingdom Hearts III theme song still under consideration

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
This is how I feel too, nothing against Utada, after all it is her choice, but I always find it to be a let down when someone doesn't enjoy creating content for things that they have been a part of for a long time. It's just disappointing and I would rather it go to someone else.

I dunno if Utada's involvement with KH can be really described as "being part for a long time" since her involvement ran at most from 2002 to 2006 and her musical career is far longer and bigger than that. She also made many songs in these years completely unrelated to KH so I don't know if it is appropriate to imply an attachment or "deeper" connection between her and the KH series where there might have not been one to begin with.

Kounelli

Awards
Yeah that's true, I was just insinuating her involvement since she did produce songs for the two main games, it is only natural to assume some sort of kinship between her and the franchise (especially given that she recognized the new remix in her tweets).

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I dunno if Utada's involvement with KH can be really described as "being part for a long time" since her involvement ran at most from 2002 to 2006 and her musical career is far longer and bigger than that. She also made many songs in these years completely unrelated to KH so I don't know if it is appropriate to imply an attachment or "deeper" connection between her and the KH series where there might have not been one to begin with.

Utada herself might not have been a big part of the series on her end, but she certainly has been a big part for others. To deny that is to deny the massive hype that always appears when her name is mentioned in relation to Kingdom Hearts. And don't say that thing you always say about Yoko Shimomura having more importance to the than Utada because of course she does. She is the composer.

This is plain and simple about the expectations hardcore and casual fans have set for what constitutes a Kingdom Hearts title. A part of that tends to be an Utada song, conditioned in us by the fact that the songs she made have been reused in every handheld and console title to this day.

Utada certainly is an artist made up of more than "the lady who made Kingdom Hearts and Eva songs" and I hate when people forget that, but the fact still remains that Utada is popular in the west in part because of her work for Kingdom Hearts.

Xagzan

Awards
My ideal backup for Utada if she didn't return was for the longest time Origa.

But alas, that is no longer an option. Gone way too soon.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
My feelings for this issue have been the same for years. I'd be happy if she came back to do the theme but if not I don't see the problem with another singer doing the theme.

Anything but S&C and sactuary again

Master Sora

Awards
Website
soraboots.tumblr.com
Whoever they are, I'm sure someone who has been following Kingdom Hearts for a long time, or at least know what it is, can take up the challenge to create a new theme song.

I still love and respect Utada for she is and what she has created for Kingdom Hearts, but if she has her heart set in other things then that's totally fine.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
This is how I feel too, nothing against Utada, after all it is her choice, but I always find it to be a let down when someone doesn't enjoy creating content for things that they have been a part of for a long time. It's just disappointing and I would rather it go to someone else.

Yes, it makes me real uncomfortable when I feel like someone is creating something but they really don't have any interest, nor do they really enjoy it. I mean, I'm sure she put a lot of love, work, and effort into Simple and Clean and Sanctuary, but if she really feels like they completely mess up all her original intentions while making the song and it's too much, I'd prefer they find someone else.

Nothing against Utada. She's great, and her style would be really really hard to match for Kingdom Hearts given its kinda unique circumstances (meaning, I don't think they'd settle for a Japanese only song, and she probably wouldn't allow someone else to figure out the English version for her)

I personally don't know many english/jp singers myself. There is one that I'm thinking about, but I haven't heard her sing in english TOO much. I just know she collabs with Yoko Kanno a bunch. The song I had in mind was a duet she did featuring someone named Steve Conte. Her name is Maaya Sakamoto. The Garden of Everything.

The Garden of Everything: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkiEuIgkCCs

Or an all english song she's done (but she's not as clear as Utada)
Gravity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOE8tqxU1xs

I did some research a while ago and there's someone named Nano who grew up in very similar circumstances as Utada so she too is very fluent in both languages. But she's more j-rock than j-pop from what I've checked out. Eh. I dunno

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
If they just used Hikari/Passion instead of demanding an english song for the english version maybe there would be less problems with this. But maybe I just feel that way because I prefer the japanese versions anyway.

If she makes the song, great, if someone else does it, that's fine too. As long as it's good. I've never been disappointed with KH music yet so I doubt it's going to happen with KH3 either.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
I think when it comes to KH... it's very different than many other dubbed Japanese games and anime.

Kingdom Hearts is the good equivalent of the dub of Detective Conan renaming Ran to Rachel. By good I mean, the English version is supposed to be just as 'canon' as the Japanese one, if that makes any sense. Although some context will naturally be lost, Kingdom Hearts is supposed to be as 'international' as any average Disney movie, compared to an anime or Japanese game that just gets an English version. Whereas, in Detective Conan, they just changed names around to 'make it easier for English audiences', not because it was meant for an English dub to exist someday, context and all. (That's why mistakes like 'guilt' vs 'special attack bonus' are pretttty bad. Kingdom Hearts has always been pretty equal between the languages)

If that makes any sense. Basically, I don't think they'll ever settle with just a Japanese version of the opening and ending song. It has to be both to the same tune.

SoraForeverKH

Well I hope so! It wouldn't be the same without her. I've been highly anticipating her new song for the game. I enjoyed the refreshing ray of hope Mix of simple and clean, that was something special.

Kounelli

Awards
Yeah it's gotta be a new song though, if they rehash the same song it's gonna bug me throughout the whole game!

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
So personally I'd be fine with a new artist (forever been wanting Flo+Mo but since FFXV got her I can't dream of that anymore)

If I had to pick somebody new, it'd be One Ok Rock.

But I'll always want Utada but would 100% be happy with whatever she does. My dream of her returning to KH is more about hearing more music from her in general. Fantôme was effervescent and stunning <3

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
Though, big question. Why did they pick Utada? Was it because she's fluent in both languages? Was it because of her popularity? Or was it because Nomura is a known and obvious big fan of her? Or a mixture of it all?

If the multi-language part can't be fulfilled, who else is popular and who else is Nomura a fan of?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Though, big question. Why did they pick Utada? Was it because she's fluent in both languages? Was it because of her popularity? Or was it because Nomura is a known and obvious big fan of her? Or a mixture of it all?

If the multi-language part can't be fulfilled, who else is popular and who else is Nomura a fan of?

Because Nomura was a fan of hers and she was fluent in English and Japanese. If I remember correctly, Nomura personally asked her to write the theme after talking about it with Disney/Squaresoft. Her fame didn't play much of a role, although that helped a lot later on.

Nomura doesn't actually talk about his music inspirations much.

Vasquez

Awards
I don't know why some of you guys think Utada is cheap to get a song from.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Utada herself might not have been a big part of the series on her end, but she certainly has been a big part for others. To deny that is to deny the massive hype that always appears when her name is mentioned in relation to Kingdom Hearts. And don't say that thing you always say about Yoko Shimomura having more importance to the than Utada because of course she does. She is the composer.

This is plain and simple about the expectations hardcore and casual fans have set for what constitutes a Kingdom Hearts title. A part of that tends to be an Utada song, conditioned in us by the fact that the songs she made have been reused in every handheld and console title to this day.

Utada certainly is an artist made up of more than "the lady who made Kingdom Hearts and Eva songs" and I hate when people forget that, but the fact still remains that Utada is popular in the west in part because of her work for Kingdom Hearts.

I'm certainly not denying that, doesn't really change the fact though that it is still Utada's own decision and that she doesn't have any obligation to participate because a good part of the fanbase may want it. ;)
When I say that thing it is mostly because I get a vibe that Shimomura doesn't get enough credit for her part in the fandom. In Final Fantasy music stuff it's also Nobuo Uematsu (at least for the earlier titles before XII) and not the interpret of the theme title who gets the most attention.

The expectations of "What constitutes a Kingdom Hearts title" is exactly one thing I find worrisome as the very same thing is what tends to often poison the mood in the FF fandom, as in if a new FF title doesn't have X (i.e. controllable airships, overworld map, chocobos etc.) it is considered a "bad" or "no true" FF.

Also no objection on that part, yet I do feel that people are extrapolating too much from that fact which leads to overblown expectations. The worst case scenario that could happen is that Utada does indeed decline and then gets flak/shitstorms from obnoxious KH fans.

Yes, it makes me real uncomfortable when I feel like someone is creating something but they really don't have any interest, nor do they really enjoy it. I mean, I'm sure she put a lot of love, work, and effort into Simple and Clean and Sanctuary, but if she really feels like they completely mess up all her original intentions while making the song and it's too much, I'd prefer they find someone else.

Nothing against Utada. She's great, and her style would be really really hard to match for Kingdom Hearts given its kinda unique circumstances (meaning, I don't think they'd settle for a Japanese only song, and she probably wouldn't allow someone else to figure out the English version for her)

If I recall correctly Hikari at least was not even specifically created for KH, Utada put that song together beforehand and it was later adapted for use in KH. Passion on the other hand I think was written by her specifically for KH.
As for the issue with the English translations, this is what Utada had to say on the issue:
Utada Hikaru said:
...that was so hard, it's just, and it felt strained, and as a result, I'm happy that I worked hard to do those, because those English versions are really good and "Simple and Clean," I think, is a really good song, and people- most of the people that know me here, they know me for that- but it's not ideal for me as a writer, to- because, actually, I changed the melodies for "Simple and Clean" and "Hikari," because when you change the language you're singing in, the same melodies don't work- and as a writer, it's just very frustrating to have, like- I wrote these melodies for Japanese words, and to have to write in English for that, it's just not right. And then, so, for this, uh, this contract with Island Def Jam, in the beginning I separated it to this English language album, and I don't do Japanese translations. I just, my integrity as an artist just would not take that, could not take that."

As far as I remember though this was only one part of the reason why she didn't want to participate anymore, according to her father, the other part was that Disney was really stingy with the amount of payment and when considering all the extra work that had to be put into the English versions, it was simply not enough.

They could settle for a japanese only song though, it was rather successful with Suteki da ne in FF X, which was in japanese in both versions.

Skyzor

If they can't get Utada to do a song I strongly recommend Aimer or Kalafina to make a new song for KH3, would be amazing!

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
I think the fact that the theme is still under consideration is perfectly appropriate and to be expected. Utada just returned to professional output this year, and her attention has been entirely centered around the production and promotion of Fantome. Add to that the fact that KH3 is still in the thick of development and probably won't see release for another year (at least), and the fact that we now have two confirmations that the answer from Utada's team isn't flat-out rejection and I'd say we're in good shape to see her come back for KH3.

Also, people are still making much-ado about nothing over an interview Utada gave 7 years ago when KH3 wasn't even a blip on the radar. Disney never approached her about the game, Utada was obviously exhausted with everything during TITO promotion, and even then her best answer was that she "probably" wouldn't return (literally, "I don't know"). The idea that Hikki didn't enjoy writing songs for KH is really a myth; yes, she finds the process of translation stressful, but she also loves singing "Simple & Clean" (seriously, she sang it for her 20th birthday celebration) and has expressed how super proud she is of her theme songs. Like, during that same interview with JETAANY, she talks a lot about the challenges of self-producing an album:

I wanted it to be “me,” but not as “me” as Exodus, because I did all the tracks, like most of the track making on that, and I was so sick of that track making process...by the end of Exodus I was just going, “ahh, can someone else do this for me but not be a loser, like...not be Timbaland, but do this for me, like I want to work with a track maker,” that’s what I told IDJ..

But it was after Exodus that Utada had the largest hand in producing her Japanese albums and for Fantome she returned to entirely self-producing. I'm not saying Utada is a liar, I think she's just human and doesn't do PR so at any point in time you might get different reactions from her regarding her career and her work.

I'm not in any way criticizing KHInsider for quoting from this article because it was kind of the last official word we got on the issue, but it always seems to prompt a reaction within the fanbase that doesn't take into account the context of the time and place. And I think it would be misguided for people to reach the conclusion that Utada doesn't feel a connection to the KH franchise or, more specifically, the fans who know her because of it. She's been very clear that she's aware of the impact it has had on her career and especially her prominence in the West, and I think she appreciates the association she has with the series in terms of the level of enthusiasm surrounding it.

Anyhow, my bias is firmly that if they can't get her back for some reason, they should just use an instrumental of some sort, maybe something which blends the orchestrated "Hikari" and "Passion" tracks. As far as I'm concerned, those are the theme songs for this saga, and it would be a creative obstacle to try and associate a new singer with the franchise at this stage. Besides, it would be like rubbing salt in the wounds of long-term fans. There's an emotional signature to those tracks which would be lost. KH3 is about the culmination of the journey of every game that came before it: the theme song needs to invoke that.

That being said if they just wanted to license and use "Michi" I'd be down.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
I've always played with the thought that she'd just re-purpose one of her existing songs for a KH theme song. It'd be even easier on her if she didn't have to use a lot of words even if her vocals are in it (if it's more of an instrumental than a full on song)

This is why I have a particular love for songs that are made up languages. Doh, why didn't I suggest Emi Evans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back