• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► Kingdom Hearts: Hearts in Unison (Chapter 68 posted)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Re: Kingdom Hearts: Hearts in Unison (Chapter 49 posted)

Wow. Zidane is in the group too. Should I assume most of the Order Preservers are Final Fantasy Characters? ouo

I find the small quips between Hope and Lightning hilarious. All of that poor furniture being ruined by heartless and people alike. xD

Vantias getting the upper hand despite being chaisted by his anti-heartless partner was a surprise. I thought for sure it'd go to Terra. I look forward to finding out what happens next, Sephy.

Yep, couldn't resist to include the little bag of mischievous awesomeness. ;P
Indeed, all of the Order Preservers are Final Fantasy characters.

There were three groups of survivors consisting of FF characters (and some normal citizens) that managed to flee Radiant Garden because they had a skilled pilot/Gummi ship mechanic with them.
One group is Cid's, which is the group we already know from the KH games.
Then there is Balthier's group, of which so far we only saw Balthier himself and Fran, who are helping Tifa and Aerith at the Town Square right now.
And then there are the Order Preservers, of which so far we know Lightning, Hope, Zidane and that unknown woman are part of.

Don't you mean Zidane and the unknown woman? Hope and Lightning are back on their way to their base after fighting Ienzo and Xemnas. ;)

The sole reason why this happened was because Vanitas managed to finally "calm the shit down" a bit and actually taste from the power Anti-Sora's attack provided.
While it is noted that it hasn't the same healing effect as draining Riku's darkness, it does help Van to stabilize and gave him a short boost that was enough to decisively overpower Terra in that moment who was in total mental disarray from the agony beam.

There's a small hint as to what happens next:
Remember Xehanort got the information that there are two of these shards found at Radiant Garden? He tasked Xemnas with retrieving one of them, which resulted in the battle with Lightning and Hope, and then sent someone else to look for the second...

Zero Dozer

And considering Xemnas has already obtained his "shard" of the service...

Also, I know a list of airship pilots that still wasn't mentioned.
Cecil Harvey (FFIV) - Skilled Airship pilot, used to command entire fleets.
Setzer Gabbiani (FFVI) - Although we've seen him in KHII, not much is really known on him by now. Not to mention that in FFVI he used to race with other Airships.
Zell Dincht (FFVIII) - On FFVIII, when Selphie's not piloting the Ragnarok (noting that in KH she's a teenager with a normal life), it's Zell who pilots the dragon-shaped Spacecraft.
Cid (Yuna's uncle) (FFX) - He and his crew, with that huge Machina Airship, would be the kind of guys able to make such a big vessel as an operations base.

Although, we'll know the third pilot in due time, so let's wait.

Also, on a random thought somewhat not associated with the fanfic, I was wondering, why did Max (Goofy's son), who gained significant importance in the Disney universe, never appear in any KH entry? I mean, in his teenage form. I wonder why didn't Square-Enix do that favor for us...

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Re: Kingdom Hearts: Hearts in Unison (Chapter 50 posted)

And considering Xemnas has already obtained his "shard" of the service...

Also, I know a list of airship pilots that still wasn't mentioned.
Cecil Harvey (FFIV) - Skilled Airship pilot, used to command entire fleets.
Setzer Gabbiani (FFVI) - Although we've seen him in KHII, not much is really known on him by now. Not to mention that in FFVI he used to race with other Airships.
Zell Dincht (FFVIII) - On FFVIII, when Selphie's not piloting the Ragnarok (noting that in KH she's a teenager with a normal life), it's Zell who pilots the dragon-shaped Spacecraft.
Cid (Yuna's uncle) (FFX) - He and his crew, with that huge Machina Airship, would be the kind of guys able to make such a big vessel as an operations base.

Although, we'll know the third pilot in due time, so let's wait.

Also, on a random thought somewhat not associated with the fanfic, I was wondering, why did Max (Goofy's son), who gained significant importance in the Disney universe, never appear in any KH entry? I mean, in his teenage form. I wonder why didn't Square-Enix do that favor for us...

Don't forget though that it is not a full shard anymore. ;)
Lightning blasted the shard into two pieces and Xemnas got only one of them.

Some of these characters actually are members of the Order Preservers, that much I can already say, although the "pilot" who was responsible for getting them away from Radiant Garden is not on this list.

It'll be a while until the Order Preservers take more of a center stage since after the clearing up of the current plotlines at Radiant Garden, we'll go straight back to Kairi.

I do not know too much about Disney in general to answer that in regards to KH, but I cannot really say that Max (at least here in Germany) gained any lasting or significant importance at all neither in stories nor with the fans.
If there is any family-related character in the comics (and partly the shorts) in Germany at all regarding Goofy, it's his nephew Gilbert.

---

Alrighty, it's time to go on with the action at the Hollow Bastion library:

#####
L. The Seeker's arrival
The hooded boy stiffened.
"Ugh, not only spotted but also recognized...huh?" He quipped.

The Invisible used the momentarily distraction to swing its sword at him, forcing him backwards.
"Not so fast...annoying prick." Agent Z stretched out his swords and turned himself into a sort of spinning top, defeating the Heartless with multiple slashes.

Leon nodded when seeing this.
"Yea, this battle style is unmistakeable."

Yuffie shortly put a hand before her mouth in surprise.
"Zidane...I thought he was lost when Maleficent invaded..." She whispered.

As he landed, Agent Z turned around pulling off his purple hood, revealing his gold blond hair and green eyes, the expression a mischievous grin.
"Can't hide anything from that perceptive stare of yours, eh Squall?"

"There's not much to hide anyways if you wag that tail around like an excited dog..." The woman interjected in a sarcastic tone as she destroyed the last Heartless in the room before turning towards him.
"...and there are not many humanoid people around who sport such a tail anyways."

"Geee...tell me something new, I can't just cut it off, can I?"
"No, but you could tuck it into your pants, shorty." She answered in a more teasing manner.
"Tell me how to do that with an uniform as tight-fitting as ours are, huh?"

Leon and Yuffie just stood there baffled at the bickering between them.
"What the...?" Yuffie mumbled with astonishment.

"How about you wrap it around your waist like a belt then? Would certainly help for people to not immediately recognize you." She continued, now obviously in total teasing mode.

Observing this, Leon could tell that these two were doing such things often and as he took a closer look at the woman's weapon, a double-bladed red spear, another realization hit him.

"You're also not much better when acting like you always did back then at the academy, Oerba Yun Fang." He interrupted in their banter with a dead serious voice.

Zidane's face brightened up even more. "That's our Squall for ya. Grumpy and distant to the brim, but perceptive like an eagle."
The woman stiffened as well at hearing her true name.
"Damn, this goes nothing like we had planned."

Leon stepped forward with firm steps.
"Zidane! Fang! What is the meaning of all this? If you survived the fall of this world ten years ago, why didn't you return when you saw it is being reconstructed? And what's with these weird outfits?"

Fang's expression hardened as Zidane shuffled one of his feets nervously on the floor.
"The meaning is that we have a mission to fullfill and IF we will ever return it won't be until that mission is finished, which may take several years." She explained while casually placing her spear in the holding gear at her back.
"The outfits are part of our guild, or team, if you want to call it that. We did escape the downfall of this world, although how and why is of no concern of yours right now. We have noticed you and your companions starting to rebuild this world by watching from the shadows, and I for myself personally wish you all possible success for it, but we do not have or want a part in this."

"But you are citizens of this world as well, I don't understand why you..." Yuffie interjected, but was silenced by Leon raising a hand before her.
"It's obvious that we have highly differentiating priorities right now and that they do not want to discern theirs, so we shouldn't put unneccessary pressure on the issue. The main point is that there is no threat to this world from them, and their decision to not return is theirs and theirs alone, that's enough." He stated while still not taking his glance off from Fang for one moment.
Yuffie shook her head stubbornly. "Leon, that's not what I mean..."

Zidane continued to shuffle one foot. "Sorry, we really can't."
Leon shook his head. "Don't. Many things happened and changed during the past ten years, there might come a time where this can all be explained, but it is obviously not now. On my part I am just content right now to know that you two survived."
"As expected again, Squall." Zidane answered with a small smile.
"That's Leon now." He stated firmly.

"Huh? You changed your name?" Zidane's eyes widened a little and he slowly swayed his tail signalling his interest.
Fang also gave an interested side glance at this.
"Yes, due to the failure to protect my homeworld, I vowed to never use my real name again until this world is completely restored and defended."

"Now that's what I call true dedication. Very well, like said, I wish you all possible success with your mission, but understand that we cannot disclose ours. If not for shorty here messing up his cover, we would not even have talked to you this much."
When saying that Fang gave Zidane a small nudge against the shoulder.

This made Zidane sway a little and his shuffling foot flipped over one of the books lying on the ground, a small metallic shard falling out of it in the process.
"Hey, take a look at this, looks like I found the prize." He quipped eagerly.
"What the heck is that?" Yuffie blurted out.

"Something that for unknown reasons attracts Heartless like moths are drawn to light. We will take it to examine why." Fang answered before anyone else could and grabbed the shard.

"I'm afraid that is MY prize!" A new voice suddenly thundered from the upper floor of the library and a blast of Darkness threw the shard out of Fang's hand.
"Who the hell dares to..." She cursed as she jumped back and in a fluid motion also drew her spear.

Zidane, Yuffie and Leon also looked up to the staircase, where at the top the newcomer stood.
Golden eyes checked out the four people as the man let out a mocking scowl.
"Who are you?" Zidane shouted, waving one of his short swords around while Leon and Yuffie took battle stances with their weapons.

"Is that so important? You will all get a free ride into the Realm of Darkness anyways, so what's the point?"
"We'll see about that." Leon answered dead serious, pointing his Gunblade at the man who started to slowly walk down the staircase, passing each of the stained glass windows in the process.
He wore a long black mantle with red inner linings, white gloves, a white jacket unbuttoned at the top revealing parts of his chest.
"There! On his chest is the Heartless emblem!" Yuffie remarked as he had crossed half the stairway.

"A human-shaped Heartless??? Impossible!" Fang blurted out in disbelief.
"Poor fools, one who knows nothing can understand nothing. Let me enlighten you then at least in your final moments. I am Ansem, the Seeker of Darkness and Lord Sovereign of the Heartless."
With these words the man raised one hand threateningly and a pillar of Darkness erupted between the four, separating Yuffie and Leon from Zidane and Fang.

"Ansem? THAT Ansem? The fake Ansem!" Leon screamed in anger. "How can you be here? Sora defeated you!"
Leon remembered Ansem from over a year ago, the one who pulled many worlds into the Darkness with his Heartless legions, but he realized that he actually never knew how he looked like until now.

Ansem crossed his arms before his chest with a mocking grin.
"One defeat does not mean the end."

"Fake Ansem?" Zidane asked confused.
"Well, he's not Ansem the Wise, that's for sure." Fang answered with a grim expression.

"Enough of the useless chit-chat! Now hand over that shard...and perish!"
Ansem performed another sweeping hand gesture and send out several crescent shaped discs of dark energy.
To dodge them his four adversaries had to move backwards, which Ansem used to move forwards in order to take the shard.

"Not so fast here, silvermane." Zidane shouted as he jumped over one energy disc and brought one of his blades down on Ansem.
"A meaningless effort." He retorted as he raised his right hand and blocked the strike with an invisible energy field.
One small mocking smirk later, Ansem let the field burst and the shock threw Zidane backwards into the air.

He catched himself midflight however and performing a backflip landed safely on his feet two metres away.
Ansem wasted no time and send out another blast of Darkness aimed directly at Zidane's heart, which got deflected midway by a thrown Shuriken from Yuffie.
As he tilted his head a bit he noticed Leon and Fang advancing on him.
"Hmph, predictable."
He shot five more blasts of Darkness, which Leon and Fang had little trouble to deflect, but Ansem used that opportunity to teleport behind them and raise his hand upwards.
"Dark Thundaga!"
A heavy blast of Dark Lightning sent both crashing to the floor as Yuffie used the moment to attack, throwing three Shurikens at Ansem.
He turned towards her with another smirk. "More meaningless distractions?"
Teleporting in an instant again the Shurikens missed their intended target.

"Stings, huh?" Zidane suddenly shouted as he propelled himself forward cloaked in a light blue aura, catching Ansem off-guard with three very fast slashes in his Booster 8-attack.
"What the...ghh, insolent brat!"

Ansem was pushed backwards slightly as Zidane followed up with his spinning Storm Impulse-attack as a combo, sending the Heartless crashing into a bookshelf. Having recovered, both Fang and Leon followed Zidane's assault with a Firaga spell each.
The flaming projectiles crashed into the bookshelf, burning it, but Ansem had already teleported again and hovered in mid-air about two armlengths above his adversaries.

"Four against one is a bit troublesome, but that can be easily remedied." He said in a calm tone, raising both hands and beneath him two Zip Slasher Heartless appeared that immediately started wild slashing combos directed at Yuffie and Leon.
"What the...these Heartless are quite a number bigger than those before." Yuffie shrieked as she frantically dodged in different directions to escape the onslaught.
"Ghh, what power those possess..." Leon decided for blocking instead of dodging, but could let his Gunblade only barely keep up with the twin swords of the blue armored Heartless.

Landing on the floor Ansem proceeded towards the shard again as Fang closed in on him, taking several swipes at him with her spear. He dodged each attack with gracefully calculated steps.
"Don't waste my time, woman." He snarled as he unleashed a wave of dark wind energy which pushed Fang backwards with one flick of his hand, letting her crash into one of the pillars supporting the ceiling of the library.

Turning his attention back to the shard, he saw that Zidane was about to pick it up.
Without a word Ansem shot another flurry of dark energy discs, forcing Zidane to make several short jumps and flips to evade them.

"Dodge this!" White still suspended in the air, Zidane loaded his short swords up with energy and fired his Solution 9 attack at Ansem, a flurry of orange energy runes converging on the Heartless.
"What an annoying brat." Ansem smirked as he raised a hand again to block the runes with his dark energy field.

With his attention on Zidane and his attack however, he failed to notice Fang had recovered and hit him with a powerful swing of her spear in the right hip.
Grunting Ansem could only duck away to avoid Zidane's runes now, which Fang used to deliver an upwards kick directly into his face.

#####

The game for the next shard is on.

Zero Dozer

So Ansem was sent to Radiant Garden... And I was wrong, it was Fang... Oh man...

Well, well, things are heating over again and we are getting into another big battle. The race for the Dark Shards is finally on.

Roxie1563

Actress/Healer in Persona: Icebound
Awards

Well, chapter 50 is here finally! :D And it is always expected to raise the bars as usual. :)

I knew when Lightning and Hope showed up, the other FF13 crew can't be far behind. ;) Nice to see Fang and it's cool to know her true name.

As for Ansem, I knew it when you described him in detail and not only that, he said the infamous line: "One who knows nothing cannot understand nothing." xD Then: "An meaningless effort." He always get the best lines. :3

So, more fights for the Dark Shards, huh? I look forward to it.

Next chapter is going back to Kairi from what you are saying, huh? Can't wait for that one!

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards

Sephy, I don't believe I told you this before, but your story telling is amazing. The way you describe every scene makes it come to life. My mouth literally dropped open, just reading how spot on each individual character are. Ansem showing up to take the shard was terrific! I hope Zidane and Fang can stop him from getting it, before they do. If they've been in hiding all this time, makes me wonder where Hope and Lightning meet up with them at? A world we haven't seen yet, perhaps? *u*

Can't wait for the next update.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

So Ansem was sent to Radiant Garden... And I was wrong, it was Fang... Oh man...

Well, well, things are heating over again and we are getting into another big battle. The race for the Dark Shards is finally on.

Yep, he was. It was actually foreshadowed in the earlier chapters which featured Master Xehanort, as there they spoke about the two shards located at Radiant Garden.
Your initial choice was Rinoa, huh? Well, she's not that sassy and despite having a purple hood on I guess someone like Squall would have recognized her way earlier. ;)

The heat generated by these battles right now are also totally unexpected from Xehanort's side, and I dare you to guess what his reaction will be once he learns that Lightning split one of the shards and took one part with her. ;)
Yea, the race is on between the main "evil" faction aka Xehanort and co. and the main "neutral" side. The main "good" guys have plenty of other problems right now and are not even consciously aware of the shards.

Well, chapter 50 is here finally! :D And it is always expected to raise the bars as usual. :)

I knew when Lightning and Hope showed up, the other FF13 crew can't be far behind. ;) Nice to see Fang and it's cool to know her true name.

As for Ansem, I knew it when you described him in detail and not only that, he said the infamous line: "One who knows nothing cannot understand nothing." xD Then: "An meaningless effort." He always get the best lines. :3

So, more fights for the Dark Shards, huh? I look forward to it.

Next chapter is going back to Kairi from what you are saying, huh? Can't wait for that one!

If you want to count Ansem SoD's appearance as raising the bars, lol, ok, although the following battle may be more deserving of that title.

As I said in my last answer to KitKat, all of the members of the Order Preservers are Final Fantasy characters (and there are around 20 all in all) except their founder, but that person does not count as a member.
So it's probably not too surprising that more of the FF13 cast are among them.

I just couldn't resist to let Ansem say those lines in a different context, also since he approaches his engagement with these FF characters differently than Xemnas did some chapters earlier with Lightning and Hope.
Yep, although this one will be the last to be seen in detail until the issue with Anti-Sora is resolved. After that, we'll see that some of the shards are also located in Agrabah, the Land of Dragons and some other Disney worlds.

Not really the next chapter. I said that "when the current issues at Radiant Garden are resolved" we will return immediately to Kairi, meaning that we won't get back to Roxas/Ven/Xion/Anti-Sora, Aqua, Maleficent or Xehanort, but to Kairi.
Besides the current battle involving Leon and Yuffie, there is also still Braig in Space Paranoids, Lea with his memory mess in the secret laboratory (and Isa approaching) as well as Cid, Beatrix, Aerith, Tifa, Balthier and Fran figthing in the town, all stuff that happens in Radiant Garden concurrently at the same time.

Sephy, I don't believe I told you this before, but your story telling is amazing. The way you describe every scene makes it come to life. My mouth literally dropped open, just reading how spot on each individual character are. Ansem showing up to take the shard was terrific! I hope Zidane and Fang can stop him from getting it, before they do. If they've been in hiding all this time, makes me wonder where Hope and Lightning meet up with them at? A world we haven't seen yet, perhaps? *u*

Can't wait for the next update.

Gehehe, thanks a lot. My habit of putting so much into the description of every scene is also partly what makes this story so long and why I decided to split it into a trilogy. When I do decide to give focus to a character or group in the story I do want them to have their role fleshed out and not just glaze over their current activity quickly.
To hear that my characters are spot on is an especially great compliment for me, as that's what I strive for. I actually remember that when writing this and the following chapters I re-watched several cutscenes of FF 13 on Youtube in order to study Fang's behaviour and then spent a while thinking about how someone like her would probably deal with a character as perky and mischievous as Zidane from FF IX is.

Oh yeah, Ansem is pretty terrific in this situation also since he approaches the whole situation with a no-nonsense attitude. If any of the four FF characters will get too much in his way, he WILL go for a killing stroke. It's also pretty foreboding, y'know, that until now Ansem hasn't used any weapon nor the Guardian.

Indeed, the base of the Order Preservers is located in a world that hasn't been shown yet in the KH Universe and much like the world Xehanort's new base is at, it is a world that is located rather secluded from most of the other worlds. During the tumultuous years following the fall of Radiant Garden, the two leaders of their group made it first a top priority to hide and stay out of world affairs as much as possible while planning their next moves and train their young protéges in case Maleficent or the Heartless legions would ever find them.

You may be surprised, but I'm actually also eager to present the next one, lol.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards

It’s interesting that the dark energy from the beam strengthened Vanitas, yet it didn’t heal him. I can’t shake the feeling that this isn't a coincidence.

I’m surprised that it was hinted at that Terra could potentially return to Riku's hear later on.

Don’t know why I was surprised that you included Zidane, after all you’ve already included a character from FFIV.

What really surprised me in chapter 50 was the fact that Fang said so much out about the Order Preservers. I would think that with them trying to be hidden they’d also be a little more secretive and avoid interacting with anyone.

It’s funny that of the four Order Preserver members we know about three of them are from Final Fantasy 13, now nearly every main FFXIII character made an appearance excepts for Vanille and Snow.

I really like how the fight against Ansem, as always he doesn’t seem to go down easily. But I’m kind of surprised that Leon never saw what Ansem SoD looked like. I could have sworn he was present when Mickey explained about the Fake Ansem and Sora pointed out that the Ansem he knew was the one in the painting.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

It’s interesting that the dark energy from the beam strengthened Vanitas, yet it didn’t heal him. I can’t shake the feeling that this isn't a coincidence.

I’m surprised that it was hinted at that Terra could potentially return to Riku's hear later on.

Don’t know why I was surprised that you included Zidane, after all you’ve already included a character from FFIV.

What really surprised me in chapter 50 was the fact that Fang said so much out about the Order Preservers. I would think that with them trying to be hidden they’d also be a little more secretive and avoid interacting with anyone.

It’s funny that of the four Order Preserver members we know about three of them are from Final Fantasy 13, now nearly every main FFXIII character made an appearance excepts for Vanille and Snow.

I really like how the fight against Ansem, as always he doesn’t seem to go down easily. But I’m kind of surprised that Leon never saw what Ansem SoD looked like. I could have sworn he was present when Mickey explained about the Fake Ansem and Sora pointed out that the Ansem he knew was the one in the painting.

This dark energy isn't of the same effectiveness as directly accessing Riku's darkness because it's only a fraction, a bunch of negative emotions transformed into battle power and then condensed into an attack.
As an allegory, you may equate the energy from Anti-Sora's attack having the effect of a Cure-spell for Vanitas, while accessing Riku's darkness would equate to a Curaga-effect.

Then there is the part that has certainly to do with the fact that Vanitas isn't used to transform negative emotional energy like this and that the brunt of that attack obviously hit Terra, yet another factor is also how Vanitas as a being is actually made up as a whole.
Anti-Sora's main "ability" is to take negative emotions and turn them into power for himself, which is why he is set on deliberately making Roxas, Ven, Xion, Sora himself and anyone else close connected to them suffer more and more to harness even more power.
This is also why trying to destroy anyone of them for good would be not in his interest, as then they could not be tortured for even more power.
Vanitas on the other hand has this power only in a latent way, which is tied to the fact that he's also a being of pure darkness but with a significant difference which also separates him from Anti-Sora in terms of the status of his being.
Think about what actually happens when Vanitas gains access to negative emotions or when he has them himself, so even if Vanitas would learn to use this ability, it would always be vastly inferior to Anti-Sora's and he would need four or five times the amount of "suffering" Anti-Sora needs to only get even with him since much of the negative emotions are used otherwise in his case.

He has lost any hold right now, but that doesn't mean that Riku's subconscious has, as before Vanitas threw him out of his own heart, Riku connected with Terra's heart.

FF IV? Which character did I include from that one? Zidane is from IX (9), so I guess the character you refer to is Beatrix, who also hails from IX.

Fang actually points that out herself:
Fang said:
"Now that's what I call true dedication. Very well, like said, I wish you all possible success with your mission, but understand that we cannot disclose ours. If not for shorty here messing up his cover, we would not even have talked to you this much."

If Zidane had not been discovered by Leon recognizing him, Fang would have completely ignored Leon and Yuffie. She also didn't reveal anything truly important about their guild and the few bits she did reveal was because of nostalgia-reasons and to placate Yuffie a bit, as they DID attend the same magic academy at Radiant Garden once, before Maleficent came.

That has also a certain reason that will become clear later. We have three groups of FF characters, and I can already confirm that the group around Balthier and Fran has no FF 13 characters. Since the Order Preservers consist of 18 characters, I think the assumption that Vanille and Snow are also among them isn't too farfetched.

In all honesty? Ansem isn't even going all out yet, lol. To be fair though, Fang and Zidane aren't either. By the way, the two Heartless Ansem summoned to deal with Leon and Yuffie are not made up, anyone who truly has played 358/2 Days should know these guys called Zip Slashers:
Spoiler Spoiler Show

About Leon knowing the fake Ansem's appearance, it's funny as this was also recently part of the discussion about if Ansem the Wise should be saved.
I wasn't sure of that since I remembered Leon already being in the Computer Room when Mickey explained all that, and in KH 1 he definitely didn't see Ansem SoD in person.

Zero Dozer

I can only presume that Xehanort won't be happy about this and that he'll take Lightning's matter on his own hands.

Daxwren

What about Sazh?

To sephiroth, good job on this chapter, you happened to introduce my 2 favorite FF13 characters, Fang and Lightning (Who is my Video Game Mistress/Wife) I kinda figured the battle wasn't done, in every battle with Ansem in the "real" KH world, he a pain to defeat and Ansem seemed way too weak for him to be defeated though.( I find it funny however that every time I fight his guardian it keeps getting in my way and deflecting everything, yet all it takes to kill/knock it out was Donald and Goofy Bashing it on the head XD) I sense Ansem's true power isn't even revealed yet. In every game he appeared in he had learned 2 new tricks on top of his old ones so I can't wait to see what you unleash on Fang and them.

Last edited:

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

I can only presume that Xehanort won't be happy about this and that he'll take Lightning's matter on his own hands.

The first one is a given I'd think, however, what leads you to the assumption that Xehanort will directly intervene personally? ;)

What about Sazh?

To sephiroth, good job on this chapter, you happened to introduce my 2 favorite FF13 characters, Fang and Lightning (Who is my Video Game Mistress/Wife) I kinda figured the battle wasn't done, in every battle with Ansem in the "real" KH world, he a pain to defeat and Ansem seemed way too weak for him to be defeated though.( I find it funny however that every time I fight his guardian it keeps getting in my way and deflecting everything, yet all it takes to kill/knock it out was Donald and Goofy Bashing it on the head XD) I sense Ansem's true power isn't even revealed yet. In every game he appeared in he had learned 2 new tricks on top of his old ones so I can't wait to see what you unleash on Fang and them.

Huh? Sazh made an "indirect" appearance already on one of Naminé's pictures in the earlier chapters when Kairi spoke with Naminé.

Oh, I see, so someone with a personality and/or appearance like Lightning would be your type? ;P

Yeah, as I pointed out above Ansem is right now neither using his Guardian nor any weapon, so he definitely hasn't shown his full potential yet.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards

This dark energy isn't of the same effectiveness as directly accessing Riku's darkness because it's only a fraction, a bunch of negative emotions transformed into battle power and then condensed into an attack.
As an allegory, you may equate the energy from Anti-Sora's attack having the effect of a Cure-spell for Vanitas, while accessing Riku's darkness would equate to a Curaga-effect.

Then there is the part that has certainly to do with the fact that Vanitas isn't used to transform negative emotional energy like this and that the brunt of that attack obviously hit Terra, yet another factor is also how Vanitas as a being is actually made up as a whole.
Anti-Sora's main "ability" is to take negative emotions and turn them into power for himself, which is why he is set on deliberately making Roxas, Ven, Xion, Sora himself and anyone else close connected to them suffer more and more to harness even more power.
This is also why trying to destroy anyone of them for good would be not in his interest, as then they could not be tortured for even more power.
Vanitas on the other hand has this power only in a latent way, which is tied to the fact that he's also a being of pure darkness but with a significant difference which also separates him from Anti-Sora in terms of the status of his being.
Think about what actually happens when Vanitas gains access to negative emotions or when he has them himself, so even if Vanitas would learn to use this ability, it would always be vastly inferior to Anti-Sora's and he would need four or five times the amount of "suffering" Anti-Sora needs to only get even with him since much of the negative emotions are used otherwise in his case.

Ah, and here I was thinking that Anti-Sora was intentionally strengthening, but not healing Vanitas to keep him in check. Though I guess with how the circumstances currently are he doesn't really need to resort to those kind of actions, seeing he's pretty powerful at the moment.

I never thought of it this way, so where as Vanitas can use negative emotions to spawn his Unversed, Anti-Sora converts these emotion to power.

He has lost any hold right now, but that doesn't mean that Riku's subconscious has, as before Vanitas threw him out of his own heart, Riku connected with Terra's heart.

FF IV? Which character did I include from that one? Zidane is from IX (9), so I guess the character you refer to is Beatrix, who also hails from IX.

Fang actually points that out herself:

If Zidane had not been discovered by Leon recognizing him, Fang would have completely ignored Leon and Yuffie. She also didn't reveal anything truly important about their guild and the few bits she did reveal was because of nostalgia-reasons and to placate Yuffie a bit, as they DID attend the same magic academy at Radiant Garden once, before Maleficent came.

That has also a certain reason that will become clear later. We have three groups of FF characters, and I can already confirm that the group around Balthier and Fran has no FF 13 characters. Since the Order Preservers consist of 18 characters, I think the assumption that Vanille and Snow are also among them isn't too farfetched.

It makes sense that the connection would remain, I was just expecting a larger consequence for losing the fight. I guess this lose could potentially also affect his consciousness fighting Xehanort.

That was a typo, I did mean IX and was referring to Beatrix, but I also wasn't sure, if you had included any other character from that game that I just wasn't familiar with. I haven't gotten around to playing FF9 yet.
I'm guessing some of the 18 members of the Order Preserver will probably be more IX members. You know what I just realized today, the guild is 8 members short of the whole alphabet, so I guess some letters will be missing. On the note of Letters is Fang, Agent F or Agent O?

Shouldn't she have ignored them anyways? I'm guessing as you said she was feeling nostalgic seeing her old friend again and that's why she talked to them and confirmed her identity, instead of just ignoring them and staying purely on task.
I'm curious how old are Fang and Leon? I remember reading somewhere that Leon in the Kingdom Heart universe is in his mid-twenties, so that would mean he was a Teen around Sora’s age when Maleficent attacked.

Okay, so right now we have the OP group of which only 4 members are known, 3 and potentially more of them are from FF13, Leon's group which mainly consists of FF7 characters and lastly the group with Fran and Balthier, which if I remember correctly had a lot of FF12 characters in it.

In all honesty? Ansem isn't even going all out yet, lol. To be fair though, Fang and Zidane aren't either. By the way, the two Heartless Ansem summoned to deal with Leon and Yuffie are not made up, anyone who truly has played 358/2 Days should know these guys called Zip Slashers:
Spoiler Spoiler Show

About Leon knowing the fake Ansem's appearance, it's funny as this was also recently part of the discussion about if Ansem the Wise should be saved.
I wasn't sure of that since I remembered Leon already being in the Computer Room when Mickey explained all that, and in KH 1 he definitely didn't see Ansem SoD in person.

Honestly I don't know what I was trying to say... I was way too tiered and unfocused when I wrote that post...
Anyways, it is kind of obvious that he's still holding back, that or his resurrected self is quite a bit weaker, though either way I'm guessing he's currently not able to summon the Guardian ship he used against Sora in KH1, so he's probably not as strong as he used to be.
That said it's also pretty obvious that Leon and co. haven't gone all out yet either, seeing they haven't really used their more powerful moves we know from the tournaments.
Is Ansem Seeker of Darkness even still a heartless? If he is, he can't really be defeated in this fight, seeing heartless defeated by anyone, but the keyblade wielder just re-spawn somewhere else.

Yep, I knew which heartless you were talking about, though I wasn't sure which variation it was right away. These heartless are mainly a pain to fight, because they have a lot of HP and powerful attacks, after all they're actually easy to beat it just takes forever.

I honestly am not sure anymore if he was present or not, but I'm kind of under the impression he knew who Sora's "Ansem" was. In KH1 he and his gang definetly never saw Ansem in person, which is really what made the twist in KH2 work.

BTW can I call Anti-Sora Aros? Feels a little less silly and seems fitting.

What about Sazh?

As Sephiroth already said he and Serah already made an appearance in one of Namine's Drawings. So basically Vanile and Snow are the only two major good characters missing from the first game.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

Ah, and here I was thinking that Anti-Sora was intentionally strengthening, but not healing Vanitas to keep him in check. Though I guess with how the circumstances currently are he doesn't really need to resort to those kind of actions, seeing he's pretty powerful at the moment.

I never thought of it this way, so where as Vanitas can use negative emotions to spawn his Unversed, Anti-Sora converts these emotion to power.

That thought isn't even that farfetched, although as you also noticed it isn't really needed. If Vanitas would really be so stupid or reckless to kick out against Anti-Sora he would be crushed, plain and simple.

Yes, that serves also to point out their differences. Anti-Sora is still a part of Sora, and therefore his abilities dealing with darkness and emotions are inherently more powerful. Vanitas was ripped away from Ventus' heart and turned into an literal entity of his own, which causes his abilities to convert emotions from others into power to be very nerfed.
His own emotions nearly get always turned into Unversed, and as we saw in BBS proper (like the pumpkin Unversed created from the emotions of Lady Tremaine and her daughters), Vanitas can do the same with other negative emotions. However, as he claims in the final battle at the KG, when Unversed get destroyed their negativity flows back to him and also empowers him.
It's as such for Vanitas a rather long and less effective method.
He could try and use the same ability as Anti-Sora, however as I said before, he would need to inflict much more pain and suffering and absorb much more negativity this way than Anti-Sora in order to just come even with him.
Even more so because his lack of ability to control it would cause more Unversed to spawn from these amounts of negativity as well as a side effect, further increasing the needed amount that he even can convert into raw power.

It makes sense that the connection would remain, I was just expecting a larger consequence for losing the fight. I guess this lose could potentially also affect his consciousness fighting Xehanort.

That was a typo, I did mean IX and was referring to Beatrix, but I also wasn't sure, if you had included any other character from that game that I just wasn't familiar with. I haven't gotten around to playing FF9 yet.
I'm guessing some of the 18 members of the Order Preserver will probably be more IX members. You know what I just realized today, the guild is 8 members short of the whole alphabet, so I guess some letters will be missing. On the note of Letters is Fang, Agent F or Agent O?

Shouldn't she have ignored them anyways? I'm guessing as you said she was feeling nostalgic seeing her old friend again and that's why she talked to them and confirmed her identity, instead of just ignoring them and staying purely on task.
I'm curious how old are Fang and Leon? I remember reading somewhere that Leon in the Kingdom Heart universe is in his mid-twenties, so that would mean he was a Teen around Sora’s age when Maleficent attacked.

Okay, so right now we have the OP group of which only 4 members are known, 3 and potentially more of them are from FF13, Leon's group which mainly consists of FF7 characters and lastly the group with Fran and Balthier, which if I remember correctly had a lot of FF12 characters in it.

Heh, the audience does not even see the larger consequences yet, nor get the full picture as to why Terra chose to anchor his consciousness in Riku's heart to begin with. As he says to himself in his thoughts once, dividing your consciousnes between several places is strenuous and requires very quick reflexes and mental fortitude, something Terra isn't particularily good at. Xehanort on the other hand is a master in that field, and Vanitas can also do it to a degree (as him fighting both Aqua and Ven during the latter part of the final battles in BBS show).

So far, Zidane and Beatrix are the only new FF IX-characters known to the audience (Vivi from Twilight Town is also a FF IX-character), but that doesn't mean that there aren't more out there. Good guess. ;)
Heh, nice idea, although their Agent names are not derived from the alphabet but from their first names, which is why if there are double letters there is a number added to the Agent name. These names are also just used for secrecy when performing missions, as when among themselves the members of the Order Preservers will always use their normal names or affectionate nicknames (such as Fang always calling Zidane "shorty").
The only exceptions to this are their leaders, which are often just referred to as "Grand Mistress" and "General" respectively.
Fang is Agent F, No. 6, actually, as there is no Agent O. ;)
Zidane is Agent Z, No. 11.
So as of now we have Lightning (Agent L, No. 1), Hope (Agent H, No. 4), Fang (Agent F, No. 6) and Zidane (Agent Z, No. 11) from that faction.

The issue is also that Leon and especially Yuffie would not have let her ignore them so easily. There is a reason the chapter they are first introduced in is titled "Intruders". If Fang had kept just ignoring Yuffie and Leon despite the latter demanding at least an answer to their presence in Hollow Bastion Castle, there was the imminent danger of a fight breaking out between them. While the Order Preservers are entitled to secrecy, they are also instructed by their Grand Mistress to avoid violence if possible without really jeopardizing their mission. I won't spoil things, but when you later come to know just who the Grand Mistress is you may understand why she would be especially upset if her agents fight people who were originally their comrades before Radiant Garden fell.

Leon is 24, Yuffie 17.

As for the current Order Preservers, Lightning is 27, Hope 16, Zidane 17 and Fang is 29.
Speaking of all the Agents, not including the leadership, Fang is actually the third oldest of them.

Yep, and there are 18 of them in total, five leader positions and thirteen "Field Agents". Of Balthier's group we actually know only him and Fran so far, but I won't rule out that among their group of survivors are more characters from FF12.

Honestly I don't know what I was trying to say... I was way too tiered and unfocused when I wrote that post...
Anyways, it is kind of obvious that he's still holding back, that or his resurrected self is quite a bit weaker, though either way I'm guessing he's currently not able to summon the Guardian ship he used against Sora in KH1, so he's probably not as strong as he used to be.
That said it's also pretty obvious that Leon and co. haven't gone all out yet either, seeing they haven't really used their more powerful moves we know from the tournaments.
Is Ansem Seeker of Darkness even still a heartless? If he is, he can't really be defeated in this fight, seeing heartless defeated by anyone, but the keyblade wielder just re-spawn somewhere else.

Yep, I knew which heartless you were talking about, though I wasn't sure which variation it was right away. These heartless are mainly a pain to fight, because they have a lot of HP and powerful attacks, after all they're actually easy to beat it just takes forever.

I honestly am not sure anymore if he was present or not, but I'm kind of under the impression he knew who Sora's "Ansem" was. In KH1 he and his gang definetly never saw Ansem in person, which is really what made the twist in KH2 work.

BTW can I call Anti-Sora Aros? Feels a little less silly and seems fitting.

I won't say anything about Ansem's current power level, as that's something the next few chapters may speak for. What is correct though is that, right now, he cannot summon the World of Chaos. However, Xemnas also cannot summon his Dragon as well.
Right, they have even some more hefty moves at their disposal that one may know from either their original FF or Dissidia, remember the Aqua vs Sephiroth battle? Seph did use quite some extra moves there.
That's an interesting question, especially in the context that he still calls himself "Lord Sovereign" of the Heartless and can control them. What exact kind of being Ansem is right now is a mystery, same goes for Xemnas, although in Ansem's case the properties of a Heartless do still play a role.

Their many HP and swift attacks are the main reasons Ansem choose these, in order to keep Leon and Yuffie busy for as long as possible. He does not expect the Zip Slashers to beat them, but to keep them occupied and possibly wear them down while he deals with Zidane and Fang himself.

Don't forget though that Ansem's physical form came only to be when he possessed Riku which happened only in KH 1, before that he was the Brown Robed Figure so Leon certainly hasn't seen his "humanoid" form. Yeah, of course he knew who Sora's "Ansem" was, that's also what he says in the chapter, only the appearance was unknown to him yet.

Egh, if it bothers you this much, sure, why not?
Lol, might become problematic though if there would be an actual character named Aros (although there isn't in this story, *ggg*).

So you suggest that he's actually adapting his plans to the fact he has only half of a shard?

I think it would be obvious, no? Xehanort does not know a single thing about the Order Preservers, so he will to have adapt his plans and start some investigations, either by himself or by proxy. He cannot go directly against a power he doesn't know anything about, as he doesn't even know where they are located.

Daxwren

50 chapters and I forget one little picture. Is he going to make a "physical" appearance sephiroth? I like how Donald and goofy's head bash attack is Super Effective against the Guardian XD.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards

That thought isn't even that farfetched, although as you also noticed it isn't really needed. If Vanitas would really be so stupid or reckless to kick out against Anti-Sora he would be crushed, plain and simple.

Yes, that serves also to point out their differences. Anti-Sora is still a part of Sora, and therefore his abilities dealing with darkness and emotions are inherently more powerful. Vanitas was ripped away from Ventus' heart and turned into an literal entity of his own, which causes his abilities to convert emotions from others into power to be very nerfed.
His own emotions nearly get always turned into Unversed, and as we saw in BBS proper (like the pumpkin Unversed created from the emotions of Lady Tremaine and her daughters), Vanitas can do the same with other negative emotions. However, as he claims in the final battle at the KG, when Unversed get destroyed their negativity flows back to him and also empowers him.
It's as such for Vanitas a rather long and less effective method.
He could try and use the same ability as Anti-Sora, however as I said before, he would need to inflict much more pain and suffering and absorb much more negativity this way than Anti-Sora in order to just come even with him.
Even more so because his lack of ability to control it would cause more Unversed to spawn from these amounts of negativity as well as a side effect, further increasing the needed amount that he even can convert into raw power.

So he might have done it, but I wouldn’t be necessary because he’s powerful enough to defeat him.

In other words the way they were created and exist have a strong influence on how they can use darkness and negative emotions and how effectively they can convert the negative emotions to strengthen themselves.

Heh, the audience does not even see the larger consequences yet, nor get the full picture as to why Terra chose to anchor his consciousness in Riku's heart to begin with. As he says to himself in his thoughts once, dividing your consciousnes between several places is strenuous and requires very quick reflexes and mental fortitude, something Terra isn't particularily good at. Xehanort on the other hand is a master in that field, and Vanitas can also do it to a degree (as him fighting both Aqua and Ven during the latter part of the final battles in BBS show).

So far, Zidane and Beatrix are the only new FF IX-characters known to the audience (Vivi from Twilight Town is also a FF IX-character), but that doesn't mean that there aren't more out there. Good guess. ;)
Heh, nice idea, although their Agent names are not derived from the alphabet but from their first names, which is why if there are double letters there is a number added to the Agent name. These names are also just used for secrecy when performing missions, as when among themselves the members of the Order Preservers will always use their normal names or affectionate nicknames (such as Fang always calling Zidane "shorty").
The only exceptions to this are their leaders, which are often just referred to as "Grand Mistress" and "General" respectively.
Fang is Agent F, No. 6, actually, as there is no Agent O. ;)
Zidane is Agent Z, No. 11.
So as of now we have Lightning (Agent L, No. 1), Hope (Agent H, No. 4), Fang (Agent F, No. 6) and Zidane (Agent Z, No. 11) from that faction.

The issue is also that Leon and especially Yuffie would not have let her ignore them so easily. There is a reason the chapter they are first introduced in is titled "Intruders". If Fang had kept just ignoring Yuffie and Leon despite the latter demanding at least an answer to their presence in Hollow Bastion Castle, there was the imminent danger of a fight breaking out between them. While the Order Preservers are entitled to secrecy, they are also instructed by their Grand Mistress to avoid violence if possible without really jeopardizing their mission. I won't spoil things, but when you later come to know just who the Grand Mistress is you may understand why she would be especially upset if her agents fight people who were originally their comrades before Radiant Garden fell.

Leon is 24, Yuffie 17.

As for the current Order Preservers, Lightning is 27, Hope 16, Zidane 17 and Fang is 29.
Speaking of all the Agents, not including the leadership, Fang is actually the third oldest of them.

Yep, and there are 18 of them in total, five leader positions and thirteen "Field Agents". Of Balthier's group we actually know only him and Fran so far, but I won't rule out that among their group of survivors are more characters from FF12.

Okay so there’s more to it than what we’ve seen in the story. I find it interesting that up until now only bad guy were shown to be able to split their consciousness. So what exactly do you mean with he anchored his consciousness in Riku? Does this mean he moved the main part of his consciousness into Riku’s heart from his own? And if so what does Vanitas kicking him out mean to his consciousness.

I had forgot that Vivi is also from FF9.
Hehe, I knew the agent names are derived from their names, but it’s pretty common for stories where they do that to have the whole alphabet accountable.
I forgot about them having numbers. So is there any meaning to Fang being 6 and Zidane only 11?

Well I guess that’s true, though just a few words would have been enough to defuse the situation. That said no harm was done so it’s probably all good and they won’t get into trouble for it.
Now that sounds interesting and I guess gives a hint at who it might be, though because of my rather small knowledge of FF characters I’m hesitant to assume anything.

Oh okay so Fang was Leon’s senior at the academy. So was she well know at the academy or how did she and Leon meet and become friends? Because if I’m not mistaking it’s somewhat uncommon for students with such a large age difference to mingle all to often.
Oh, so most members are either teens or in their twenties? It’s interesting that from the FF groups we know of most of the survivors of the HB attack where children.

I don’t know why but I somehow remembered there being more characters in the group.

I won't say anything about Ansem's current power level, as that's something the next few chapters may speak for. What is correct though is that, right now, he cannot summon the World of Chaos. However, Xemnas also cannot summon his Dragon as well.
Right, they have even some more hefty moves at their disposal that one may know from either their original FF or Dissidia, remember the Aqua vs Sephiroth battle? Seph did use quite some extra moves there.
That's an interesting question, especially in the context that he still calls himself "Lord Sovereign" of the Heartless and can control them. What exact kind of being Ansem is right now is a mystery, same goes for Xemnas, although in Ansem's case the properties of a Heartless do still play a role.

Their many HP and swift attacks are the main reasons Ansem choose these, in order to keep Leon and Yuffie busy for as long as possible. He does not expect the Zip Slashers to beat them, but to keep them occupied and possibly wear them down while he deals with Zidane and Fang himself.

Don't forget though that Ansem's physical form came only to be when he possessed Riku which happened only in KH 1, before that he was the Brown Robed Figure so Leon certainly hasn't seen his "humanoid" form. Yeah, of course he knew who Sora's "Ansem" was, that's also what he says in the chapter, only the appearance was unknown to him yet.

Egh, if it bothers you this much, sure, why not?
Lol, might become problematic though if there would be an actual character named Aros (although there isn't in this story, *ggg*).

Okay so at least for now our heroes don’t have to worry about Ansem or Xemnes using either World of Chaos or Dragon. Even so they both are formidable opponents even without those modes.
That’s true Sephiroth did use moves other than the ones he used in KH. So I guess we have some new moves to expect.
Well my moneys on replicas, though my bets always on replicas when I don’t know what a character is, I just think it’s such a good concept they never did much with.

Makes sense because no matter how strong you are they need a while to go down, which should be enough for Ansem.

This is true, but depending on what he is now he may or may not need to possess someone to gain his humanoid form.
Well what I was referring to was that he knew that the person Sora thought was Ansem was the quy on the painting in the study.

It’s a pet peeve of mine, if a character lacks a proper name and is only referred to by their relation to another character it just feels wrong to me, like they’re not being acknowledged as individuals. Though it’s kind of silly considering their only fictional characters, but still.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

50 chapters and I forget one little picture. Is he going to make a "physical" appearance sephiroth? I like how Donald and goofy's head bash attack is Super Effective against the Guardian XD.

Eh, that's a reasonable argument I'll say, lol.
He is, although I won't reveal how and when. And if he does, you can expect Serah to do so as well sometime.

They were loaded up with energy from the star shard after all, so it's not too unreasonable that the Guardian got something, although it might also be that the Guardian just vanished because the time was up, as Xehanort says shortly after.

So he might have done it, but I wouldn’t be necessary because he’s powerful enough to defeat him.

In other words the way they were created and exist have a strong influence on how they can use darkness and negative emotions and how effectively they can convert the negative emotions to strengthen themselves.
Yep, Vanitas would need to severely improve the condition of his heart to stand a chance against Anti-Sora, provided he doesn't amass even more power.
Since he's in the same pitiful situation as Ventus though (and Terra did manage to cause quite some damage after all), Vanitas would be wise to play low when dealing with Anti-Sora.
That requires to get a hold of his vicious temper through, which of course isn't that easy for a hothead like him.

Exactly, that's how it works and also the reason why Anti-Sora cannot create Unversed at all, he converts everything into raw power for himself.

Okay so there’s more to it than what we’ve seen in the story. I find it interesting that up until now only bad guy were shown to be able to split their consciousness. So what exactly do you mean with he anchored his consciousness in Riku? Does this mean he moved the main part of his consciousness into Riku’s heart from his own? And if so what does Vanitas kicking him out mean to his consciousness.

I had forgot that Vivi is also from FF9.
Hehe, I knew the agent names are derived from their names, but it’s pretty common for stories where they do that to have the whole alphabet accountable.
I forgot about them having numbers. So is there any meaning to Fang being 6 and Zidane only 11?

Well I guess that’s true, though just a few words would have been enough to defuse the situation. That said no harm was done so it’s probably all good and they won’t get into trouble for it.
Now that sounds interesting and I guess gives a hint at who it might be, though because of my rather small knowledge of FF characters I’m hesitant to assume anything.

Oh okay so Fang was Leon’s senior at the academy. So was she well know at the academy or how did she and Leon meet and become friends? Because if I’m not mistaking it’s somewhat uncommon for students with such a large age difference to mingle all to often.
Oh, so most members are either teens or in their twenties? It’s interesting that from the FF groups we know of most of the survivors of the HB attack where children.

I don’t know why but I somehow remembered there being more characters in the group.
Yes there is, just like there is also more to as to why Ven's and Vanitas' hearts heal so slow in general and what is going on with Roxas, there's also more to Terra's role with Riku and this whole divided consciousness-business.
It's a very high level technique after all, and while several good guys may also have the assets to do it effectively, many try to avoid it because if the person loses control of the ability it is possible that the consciousness gets detached from each place it is anchored to, which leads to complete memory erasure and a collapse of the heart, not unlike the memory crush Naminé performed on the Riku Replica in CoM, only on a bigger scale and self-inflicted.
Terra is a good guy and he used it however, and just because he's bad at it doesn't mean that he didn't manage to do it at all. ;)
In fact, fighting both Xehanort and Vanitas simulanteously for a while in two different locations is actually quite a feat for him.

Terra's main aim was to enable a safe retreat for his essence if Master Xehanort should gain an absolute victory in the end after all. If that happened, Terra planned to remove as much of his memories from his own heart as possible and take them with him to Riku's heart, then cut off/seal the connection in the hope his heart overtaken by Xehanort will then collapse and force Xehanort to abandon it. Step two would then have been to reclaim his body and heal the collapsed heart with Riku's help after Xehanort left.
Another aim was however also to try and defend Riku from any further damage Xehanort's influence may inflict from within, as Terra has still not overcome his guilty feelings of failing to protect Aqua and Ven, as well as providing Riku with a "beacon" of sorts to lead him to a certain suit of armor if the time is right.

Terra didn't move the main part over, that's still within his own heart. Vanitas also kicked him only out of his heart, not also out of Riku's, that's why his flickering form is still there.
Terra has lost nearly all influence though and the mental backlash he gets from that may prove to be an new handicap in his fight against Xehanort in his own heart.

Lol, it's easy to forget Vivi in KH because he has such a minor role, lol.
To be honest I didn't even think too much about that, as these short Agent-designations are really only for in-story purposes, they are not even intended to obscure the identities of the characters to the audience as they're supposed to recognize the characters by their way of speaking and the weapons they use. ;)
Ah yes, the numbers of the Field Agents of the Order Preservers.
These numbers indicate actually when the Grand Mistress sent them on their first mission. Lightning being No. 1 therefore means that she was the very first Agent the Grand Mistress sent out to a mission.
When a member of the guild was sent out for the first time depends on a) if they completed their training and b) if they already had recuperated from the Fall of Radiant Garden and the following escape odyssey.
Zidane having such a high number indicates that either one or both criteria counted for him as he was the 11th to be sent on a first mission by the Grand Mistress.
The Field Commander and Deputy Field Commander have no numbers because they were fighting and doing missions from the very beginning, unlike the Agents.

Fang tried just a few words though, and if you look closely Leon was also trying to get not too inquisitive in order to keep a balance.
Had they met for example some of Sora's group Fang would probably have completely ignored them.
Yes it is, although I do not expect anyone but real FF nerds to get an idea for her identity yet from that hint alone. There will be more hints to follow though in due time.

It was a bit of both as Fang was both senior student (and therefore part-time instructor) and also a regular sparring partner for Leon.
You see, the old Radiant Garden academy was run and sponsored by the city guards (not to be confused with the Castle Guards of which Braig, Aeleus, Dilan and Beatrix were members of) and thus beside a regular school also a magic and battle academy. This was also the place where Lea learned how to manipulate fire.

Yeah, most of them are, although there are also some in their mid-thirties and even forties around.
This may possibly be explained by the fact that children are usually among the first parts of a populace to be evacuated in the event of an attack or a disaster.
It of course also depends on which persons we are talking about. Hope was six at the time of the attack, Zidane and Yuffie seven, so you may expect them to be evacuated instead of taking part in the battle.
Leon however was 14, Fang 19 and Lightning 17, so they might have participated in the struggle.

You remember right, as Fran mentioned there being more survivors in their group. We just haven't yet seen anybody from it besides Balthier and Fran.

Okay so at least for now our heroes don’t have to worry about Ansem or Xemnes using either World of Chaos or Dragon. Even so they both are formidable opponents even without those modes.
That’s true Sephiroth did use moves other than the ones he used in KH. So I guess we have some new moves to expect.
Well my moneys on replicas, though my bets always on replicas when I don’t know what a character is, I just think it’s such a good concept they never did much with.

Makes sense because no matter how strong you are they need a while to go down, which should be enough for Ansem.

This is true, but depending on what he is now he may or may not need to possess someone to gain his humanoid form.
Well what I was referring to was that he knew that the person Sora thought was Ansem was the quy on the painting in the study.

It’s a pet peeve of mine, if a character lacks a proper name and is only referred to by their relation to another character it just feels wrong to me, like they’re not being acknowledged as individuals. Though it’s kind of silly considering their only fictional characters, but still.

Indeed. They are in fact even a little stronger than before anyways because Xehanort himself can empower them more from the back row if he wishes to.
There are many new moves to expect, but not only from the villains but of course also from the heroes. The KH original characters will also get their share, as we have already seen glimpses of this with Xion's Freeze attack or Ventus' Wind shield.
We'll see, we'll see, hehehe.

That's what we'll see right in the next chapter which I'll set up tomorrow.

On that topic, there may be a hint in the following chapters as well.
I didn't include it mainly because I don't remember Leon being in the room when the reveal was made.

I see, well, Anti-Sora is also mainly just his "official" story name, as in-universe you may have noticed that Xion and Vanitas only ever called him "demon" so far, as really no one officially named him.;)

---

The new chapter will be here tomorrow.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
It's time for the next chapter, let's see what Ansem SoD and his adversaries have up their sleeves.

#####

LI. The thief's gambit

Meanwhile, Leon hacked away at his opponent four times, then blocking three more strikes of the twin swords before dishing out another flurry of slashes. "These Heartless are quite the tough customers."
"I know right, I've landed at least eight full hits and it doesn't even flinch." Yuffie answered as she jumped over her adversary with a wide somersault.
"Damn it..."
One jab of one of the twin swords grazed Leon's left upper thigh, leaving a weird icy feeling. Growling, Leon pushed the Heartless aside and angrily clobbered its head several times with the hilt of his Gunblade.

As Ansem was hoisted into the air by Fang's heavy kick, Zidane saw his chance and dashed forward quickly as he combined his two short swords into a double-bladed thief sword.
"Gotcha!"
"You really think so? Fool, come, open you heart!" Ansem righted himself in the air and a sphere-like energyfield expanded around him. Zidane could not stop his dash in time and crashed into the field, yelping at the sudden sensation of burning pain.
"SUBMIT!" With a thundering yell Ansem brought his fist down like a hammer on Zidane's head, sending him crashing to the floor.

"You'll regret that!" Fang snarled as she swung her spear around and unleashed several fiery energy sickles.
"You're next!" Ansem countered and while swirling around released a flurry of dark energy blasts.
The projectiles of both fighters cancelled each other out as they advanced on each other.

Closing the gap, Fang brought her spear down for a heavy overhead strike, which Ansem blocked with one hand by gripping the shaft of the weapon.
"Return to Darkness!" Ansem performed an upwards punch loaded up with dark energy aimed at Fang's stomach, but she dodged by dislodging her spear into a three-section-staff.
Swirling around with help of the chain she placed two kicks directly in Ansem's face, sending him backwards grunting in pain as he let go of her spear.

Swinging the freed weapon around using the chain, Fang scored two more hits on Ansem that forced him back towards the bottom of the staircase.

Dazed from the heavy blow he received, Zidane shakingly tried to get up again, holding his aching head with one hand, the thief sword still gripped tightly in the other.
"You'll pay for this, silvermane." He whispered more directed at himself rather than anyone else in the room.

Squeezing one eye shut and grimacing because of the pain, he suddenly realized that he had landed just beside the weird shard that was the cause of all this trouble.
Well, Grand Mistressy told us to take every opportunity to find out why the Heartless are rapidly multiplying again and threaten the worlds despite the Door to Darkness having been closed, so I need to secure that weird thing in any case.

Reaching out Zidane grabbed the shard, feeling an immense power stored within, both light and darkness-based, swirling around each other, intersecting each other in an indiscernible pattern.
Whoopsy. What a feeling. It's just a little splinter, and yet, I feel if I could reach the power within it I could blow this whole room up with one flick of my hand. No wonder the Heartless are attracted to it.

He couldn't really explain why, but Zidane had a highly adverse feeling against putting this shard somewhere in direct contact with his body. It seemed him dangerous, and yet, he had to somehow secure it in order for it to be examined back at the home base.
Guess I haven't got a choice.
Don't go all batshit on me while I carry you, 'kay?

Sighing, he pushed the shard into the back of his belt, fastening it a tad tighter so it wouldn't slip out.
That's one of those unfortunate moments when you get reminded your pants do not have pockets... I should have picked the same model as Hope did before moving out...

Having recovered from the harsh attack, he looked up to assess his environment. Leon and Yuffie were still locked in combat against the two Zip Slashers, which due to their high resilience and swift attacks were opponents that far exceeded the usual power of Heartless enemies.
Fang had managed to keep Ansem at bay for now, using her weapon's alternate form to perform more unpredictable attacks against him.

Gripping his combined thief sword, Zidane dashed forward very fast to get a surprise hit in, but Ansem noticed his approach from the corner of one eye. Fang was just attacking simultaneously and he evaded both of their attacks by performing a wide backflip back to the top of the stairs.
"Looks like I have the high ground, you feeble annoyances." He snarled.

"Maybe so, but on the high ground there isn't what you came for, silvermane." Zidane responded in a sassy tone, twirling his thief sword around before placing it into a defensive posture before his body.
Fang reassembled her weapon back into a spear and lined up beside him.
"Afraid shorty's right on spot."

Ansem let out a slight chuckle.
"Is that so? Then how about we up the ante here and finally send you to your doom?"
He stretched out both arms before him and in a dark flash his double-bladed Soul Eater appeared in his right hand.

Without a further word, Ansem raced down the stairs in a wild slashing frenzy, dashing upwards, Zidane met him half-way.
Matching his speed, Zidane blocked one strike after the other, both double-bladed weapons engaging in a sort of dangerous "battle-dance" as Fang let herself fall back in order to strike when an opportunity arises.

She knew enough about Zidane's unmatched speed and agility to know that he could hold his own against Ansem's flurry of attacks for quite a while.
With another swirl of his weapon Ansem released another flurry of dark energy discs which Zidane simply jumped over.
This made the way back to the lower floor of the library free again, but also brought Ansem directly in line with Fang. Dashing forward, she performed several jabs with her spear while Zidane attacked with several slashes from the other side, turning the two-weapon battle-dance into a three-weapon one.

The Seeker of Darkness had no great problems to block the simultaneous attacks, but the distraction still prevented him from actually looking for the shard again.

While this was all still dragging on, Zidane felt torn between actually breaking off the battle since he already got what they wanted and by this invoking the not very honorable deed of leaving Leon and Yuffie alone with this enemy or to stay and help to fight this weird humanoid Heartless off.
The first choice was the right thing to do in order to fulfill their mission as intended, but it went against his morals and life philosophy to help people in need. The second choice was more in line with his personal beliefs, but went against the established rules their little guild had ever since they survived the fall of Radiant Garden ten years ago.

Then the realization hit him like a slap in the face.
That is it. This idea might just work!

Zidane backed away from the fight, then performed a high jump right over Ansem to land beside Fang.
All three combattants ceased their attacks and returned to an attention stance.

"You're good, I admit. But I have definitely the longer breath with all the powers of Darkness I command." Ansem declared with confidence.

"Gee, you're quite the poser, silvermane. I actually bet I can take you one on one and still walk out alive." Zidane answered mockingly as Fang gave him a shocked expression.
"Have you gone nuts, shorty?"

"Aw, hell no, this guy just gets on my nerves...aand I really want to kick his ass. Maybe if you could give me a good luck pat on the behind I would have all the luck I need in addition to my skillz to best him." Zidane answered in a flirty tone, actually wiggling his butt to Fang in a teasing manner, his tail swinging out fastly.
At first she rolled her eyes at his antics while Ansem gave just a mocking snort at this behaviour, but then she noticed what was held in the boy's belt behind his back.
Shorty...not bad...not bad at all.

Without breaking the charade she stepped behind Zidane and gave him an actual smack on the butt before placing a second a bit higher, removing the shard from his belt.
"If that's really what you wish, fight to your heart's content shorty. See you later then."

Since Fang had pockets on the silver pants of her uniform, she could easily let the shard slip into the right backpocket as she still stood behind Zidane obstructing Ansem's view.
She turned sideways and opened a silvery portal to the Lanes Between.

"What? You're actually serious about this, you little ape-brat? That is a huge mistake!" Ansem said with a tint of disbelief hearable in his voice.

"Fang! What the heck are you doing?" Yuffie shouted as she noticed the events, performing a cartwheel to evade another slash of the Zip Slasher she was engaged with.
"Mind your own business! Shorty wants it like this." Fang retorted matter-of-factly.
"So you really would abandon a comrade? Interesting..." Ansem snarled.
"There's no "abandoning" you jerk, as I trust in shorty's abilities. He can take you on." Fang retorted with conviction.

"Is it really that?" Ansem crossed his arms before his chest, sporting a devious smirk while the double-bladed Soul Eater vanished in a dark flash.
"Or rather that you try to perform a quite obvious prank on me!!!"
As he yelled those words, the double-bladed Soul Eater suddenly reappeared twirling like a propeller above Zidane, which forced him to jump aside in haste.
At the very same moment, a muscular black fist and arm shot out from a portal on the ground uppercutting Fang so hard that she was catapulted against the ceiling.

Ansem performed another handwave and a whole swarm of Neoshadows appeared around the portal to the Lanes between, preventing anyone from entering it.
"Come, Guardian!"
The black portal on the ground widened and Ansem's heartlesslike Guardian appeared fully out of it, blasting a flurry of dark energy projectiles at Zidane before flying after Fang.
Tsk...damn you silvermane!
Swirling around in the air the young thief blocked the twirling double-bladed Soul Eater with his own thief sword, deflecting it into the direction of the Guardian before latching onto one of the chandeliers hanging from the ceiling with his tail and swinging around to avoid the salvo of dark projectiles.

Grimacing in pain from the harsh crash against the marble ceiling, Fang could just barely see the Guardian coming after her.
Whipping her spear around while falling she blocked a second blow of it, then another. Spinning around the Guardian charged for a fourth punch, yet Fang flipped around in the air ducking below it while ramming her weapon straight through the odd being's chest above the heart-shaped hole.

Does this weirdo feel anything? It has a remarkable similarity to a Heartless and yet it seems to be something above any Heartless I've fought so far.
The Guardian shortly flinched before resuming its punching attacks, which Fang proceeded to block until she reached the floor again, the Guardian remaining towering a tad above her.

The double-blade Soul Eater meanwhile flew back into Ansem's hand after he stretched it out towards it, followed by him immediately dashing after Zidane who had by now settled down on the chandelier.
Damn, not a second to assess the situation...
Zidane raised his thief sword, blocking the first blow of Ansem's weapon, then a second and third before he wrapped his tail around the main column of the chandelier again and let himself swirl around.
This allowed the boy to use his full body weight for a tackle against his adversary who was actually floating in the air beside him. His weapon locked with Zidane's thief sword, Ansem could not use it to counter and had as such to bear the whole brunt of the attack.
Grunting in pain, he nonetheless did not back away, instead using their incidental physical closeness to grab Zidane by the throat with his free hand.
"I fear this was a not so thought-out move." He stated with a devious smirk.

The thief only let out a short gasp at the pressure on his neck before his mouth also curled up into a rather mocking smile.

#####

Seems like Zidane is up to something...

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
The whole "good luck pat on the behind" was hilarious, Sephy! lol. x'D If only it had worked on Ansem! I don't understand why Fang didn't hurried it up and get out of there, before the charade had been founded out. Made me feel anxious just reading that part, besides the humor intentions.

I'd say Zidane and Ansem are evenly matched. I wonder if, the chandelier could be used as a diversion to get out of there with Fang. What with Zidane having a mocking smile on his face.

The other thing I noticed about this chapter was the use of "Mistress". I can't figure out who that could be in reference to, but makes me question what side Zidane, Hope, Fang, and Lightning are really on. For all I know, they could of taken the villain side, believeing their ideals are the right ones.

I also wanted to let you know, Sephy; Should Sign ever be unavailable to update the thread title, you can just leave me a short vm about it. :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back