• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Kingdom Hearts 3's theme song "Chikai" lyrics translation

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

raccoonscity

Website
raccoonscity.tumblr.com
Re: Kingdom Hearts 3's theme song "Chikai" lyrics translation

I feel like the reason for Roxas and Namine is they're the Nobody's of Sora and Kairi. I think that's there reasoning behind it. I agree with you, they don't have substance, but being included with the rest of Disney Royalty is a pretty big deal.

I feel like for them to be more convincing, they'd have to get more than 15 minutes together.

The only pairing that makes some sense to me is Roxas and Axel. They're the only ones with some actual chemistry. But Disney won't go there. And that's fine, I guess. As long as they don't pair Roxas with someone else like Naminé just because they feel obliged to for the sake of optics.

No one in their right mind can argue that Roxas has shown more interest in Namine than Axel. I don't disagree with you that Disney lacks the balls to "go there". But I would definitely prefer for Roxas to not end up with anyone if it's not Axel. There is no good reason to pair him with anyone else.

Roxas is 14-15 and Axel/Lea is at least 25. Not to mention, the huge power gap between Roxas and Axel that Axel exploited and abused. Absolutely not.

eiczerofour

Do we know when the english version of the theme, or album, will release? :)

raccoonscity

Website
raccoonscity.tumblr.com

Do we know when the english version of the theme, or album, will release? :)

No word on that I think, but Utada hasn't released an English album since This is the One (in 2009). I think she'd probably release it as a single around the time KH3 releases, hopefully soon.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards

Roxas is 14-15 and Axel/Lea is at least 25. Not to mention, the huge power gap between Roxas and Axel that Axel exploited and abused. Absolutely not.

Technically speaking Roxas is not even five years old. The entire process in which nobodies age is poorly explained. Physical apperance aside, Axel is not that old and he doesn't suddenly become a man who's lived for 25+ years when his original self is restored as Lea didn't exist for many years. But my point was that no pairing actually has any romantic chemistry to begin with, so any shipping is simply reaching, yet if you're looking at what's available then Roxas and Axel sure has more to build on than any other couple. And I'll also add that if we're going purely on physical appearance, I don't find Roxas x Axel any worse than Snow x Serah.

So to sum it all up; at the end of the day there hasn't been enough romance to actually warrant any pairings by the end of KH3. Any pairing will feel forced and tacked on. Whatever's going on between Sora and Kairi is really superficial and secondary to the theme of friendship that's been constant throughout the series.

Smallishbirb

and

Agree. I was starting to think I was taking crazy pills...

The game has NEVER hinted at romance between Sora and Riku while it definitely has for Kairi.

Right!? I think its just about everything tbh. An Oath to be there for eachother since this is the final battle for the saga. That too and Utada's songs for the series havent always entirely been about the plot just was for thematic purposes

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards

Technically speaking Roxas is not even five years old. The entire process in which nobodies age is poorly explained. Physical apperance aside, Axel is not that old and he doesn't suddenly become a man who's lived for 25+ years when his original self is restored as Lea didn't exist for many years. But my point was that no pairing actually has any romantic chemistry to begin with, so any shipping is simply reaching, yet if you're looking at what's available then Roxas and Axel sure has more to build on than any other couple. And I'll also add that if we're going purely on physical appearance, I don't find Roxas x Axel any worse than Snow x Serah.

So to sum it all up; at the end of the day there hasn't been enough romance to actually warrant any pairings by the end of KH3. Any pairing will feel forced and tacked on. Whatever's going on between Sora and Kairi is really superficial and secondary to the theme of friendship that's been constant throughout the series.

What's poorly explained about it? From what we've seen nobodies seem to age at the same rate as humans. There is a clear age difference from the organization members and their human selfs we see in BBS.

And yeah I agree with raccooncity, I don't care for shipping children with adults.

raccoonscity

Website
raccoonscity.tumblr.com

What's poorly explained about it? From what we've seen nobodies seem to age at the same rate as humans. There is a clear age difference from the organization members and their human selfs we see in BBS.

Nomura's said (after Days but before BBS) that Nobodies don't age because they have no hearts, but when BBS came out, Lea, Isa, and Ienzo were clearly children and teens. It's even more muddled because of DDD saying that, yes, they can regrow hearts, which begs the question: do they continue aging when they get hearts?

I think that's where the confusion lays, but this is one of the times where "Don't hold Nomura's words as gospel" is true, because the games themselves never state this iirc, and clearly is not the case anymore.

Technically speaking Roxas is not even five years old. The entire process in which nobodies age is poorly explained. Physical apperance aside, Axel is not that old and he doesn't suddenly become a man who's lived for 25+ years when his original self is restored as Lea didn't exist for many years.

I wasn't talking about their physical appearance at all.

"Technical" age aside, Roxas is 14-15 because that's the age Sora was, that's his mental age and how he acts. Lea-Axel-Lea are one continuous being (they retain the same memories and desires). He was 15 in BBS and looks like Axel (not BBS Lea) when he wakes up.

If you still want to believe the "Nobodies don't age" thing, that's only talking about physical age. Cognitively, Axel is at least 25. Cognitively, Roxas is 14 and lacks basic fundamental knowledge about himself and the world.

And that's still not addressing how Axel treated Roxas throughout all of Days and KH2.

But my point was that no pairing actually has any romantic chemistry to begin with, so any shipping is simply reaching, yet if you're looking at what's available then Roxas and Axel sure has more to build on than any other couple.

Sora and Riku == Best friends since they were kids, were rivals for a long time, Riku got jealous because Sora got new friends, Riku spent a year trying to get Sora to wake up and was too ashamed to see him again, Sora falls to his knees crying when he sees Riku again, Sora and Riku admit they were jealous of each other and are glad they can be each other's friend, Sora promises Aqua to save Riku if he goes down a dark path, Riku thinks about Sora and how Sora has his back at the end of every world in DDD, the song they create together is "Dearly Beloved" and "Passion" was written about their reunion.

Sora and Kairi == Best friends since they were kids, Kairi gave him her wayfinder twice, Sora says several times over the course of KH1 and KH2 that there's stuff he wants to tell Kairi/show her, he sees Jack/Sally dancing and imagines him and Kairi, Donald/Goofy tease Sora for his crush on Kairi, As kids they drew pictures of each other and added paopu to it, she cries when she sees it because she's devastated that he's gone, Sora turns himself into a Heartless to save Kairi and is saved by her light, Sora's memories of Kairi were so strong that it shaped Xion's appearance, Namine uses the basis of his memories/feelings for Kairi to manipulate him, Sora calls Kairi his light and his most special person, Kairi was able to remember Sora when no one else did, Kairi mentions several times how she's sick of seeing Sora/Riku get hurt when she's on the sidelines and that's why she wants to fight, Kairi says Sora's smile will save the world.

Roxas and Xion == Become best friends and grew hearts because of their friendship with each other and Axel, Bonded because they were the only Nobodies without memories, vaguely connected because of they remembered Sora's memories (specifically sitting on the pier with Kairi watching the sunset), Roxas spent most of his time in the Organization either worried about Xion or wondering what was going on with himself, Xion visited Destiny Islands and kept thinking about how much Roxas would've liked it, Xion collected sea shells and kept it by his head until he woke up, sacrificed herself to save Sora and Roxas, spoke to Riku to stop Roxas from going on a suicide mission to destroy the Organization.

Roxas and Axel == They had ice cream together everyday with Xion, Axel lied and hid information from Roxas, Axel took advantage of Roxas's lack of knowledge and trust in him, Roxas ran away from the Organization because he was sick of everyone (especially Axel) mistreating him and Xion, Axel was willing to kill Roxas in KH2 because he wouldn't go back with him.

But that's not "reaching". How exactly are you defining "romantic chemistry"? Just having a well defined dynamic doesn't mean they have to be romantically interested in each other.

Last edited:

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards

On the whole "there's no romance in any relationship":

"A Paopu fruit..."
"If two people share one, their destinies become intertwined. And one becomes part of the other's life, no matter what happens. Come on, I knwo you want to try it!" Riku to Sora, end of the first day.

"I get to share a Paopu with Kairi. Deal? The winner gets to share a Paopu with Kairi." Still Riku, second day before the race. (Apparently, I'm not supposed to take these lines and the way he said them as a proof that the 15 years old pubescent boy was trying to slide into the 14 years old redhead's DMs. Or the fact that he sold his soul to the devil to get her back later on. But I digress.)

"Hey Sora, have you heard about the legendary power of the Paopu fruit? They say, if you share it with someone you really care for, you'll bound to be together for ever and ever. For eternity! Ahhh, it's so romantic. I gotta try it sometimes!" - Selphie, first line of dialogue on the second day.

"If you don't share a Paopu with Kairi, Riku'll beat you up on it." Still Selphie, if you keep talking to her (I'm translating on the fly from the italian version, in case I messed up some words.)

Given I will never accept "oh, it's just another way to express deep friendship!" as an answer for I'd say pretty obvious reasons, the Paopu used to be romance incarnated literally by definition.
"Used to be" because BbS will describe that same fruit but by saying it represents everlasting friendship and unbreakable connections and is indeed used to try and cement TAV's friendship, and I believe that was a huge help in making people metabolyze the concept that KH is a no-romance zone, when the first chapter basically opened with romance.
Back when, it should be noted, on the writing team was also Kazushige Nojima, a man specifically acclaimed for his writing talent especially on the romantic side, and would you look at that he was involved with KH1 and CoM, the two most straight(pun not intended)forward games on this subject.

I clearly have my own perception on the ships (SoKai, and for how strong it connected with me when it was showcased I'll hardly ever feel like it's "unearned"), but there's no reason to get defensive like some have. I think discussing ships and romance can be a wonderful thing and I had a lot of fun discussing with others who had completely different ideas, and it doesn't have to be a minefield every time.

And yeah I agree with raccooncity, I don't care for shipping children with adults.

Absolutely, and yet I while ago with racconscity herself I believe we found out Nomura at one point acted like Xemnas isn't supposed to be an aged up Terra or something like that.
Which makes no sense whatsoever, he's clearly a grown man in his prime while Terra was barely a young adult.

EDIT: ok yeah, beaten to it. Took a while writing this post haha.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards

Resisting the temptation to spoil myself on this song is exasperating. Thank you goldpanner for the translation! From the looks of it I'm going to break. This is OK. :)

Agreed with everything you said.

1) Romance in KH should not be made explicit imo. I prefer ambiguity because it maintains the overarching theme of the series as being unbreakable bonds between people which don't need to be rated or given preference based on questions of platonic vs romantic intentions.

2) That said, I'm personally not going to sit quietly for SoKai and every other heterosexual crack pairing to get validated while all the queer romance that has been consistently developed using the same (admittedly vague) or even superior framework as SoKai gets shoved back into the closet. I don't care where SE and Disney are as companies with representation, they need to do better and there's no time like the present. If they can't or won't carry through on these narrative threads, refer to point 1. Confirm nothing, preserve the trinities.

3) Axel/Roxas is a great romance, I get why it skeeves people out but I don't agree that it's more problematic than tasking a bunch of young kids with saving the world and fighting in a literal war. You could make the argument that Sora is a child soldier but nobody will because we've sanitized themes of violence in fantasy so shows like Naruto can show kids getting trained through brutal ritualistic combat to become assassins with no questions asked and even cheers from the audience, but romance and sexuality are still viewed through a puritanical lens of being inherently unhealthy and wrong unless exercised with some kind of extreme caution following strict standards of conduct, which is exactly the kind of mentality that feeds back into this mentality that "you can't have gay stuff in a Disney cartoon!" because kids will be scarred or whatever.

I mean, great example of this: Axel *an adult character* kidnaps Kairi *a fifteen year old* in KH2, and that's basically going to be brushed over with no fanfare at all in KH3. Because it wasn't a sexual advance, just a violent assault on her agency as a person, so we can all accept that it's basically forgivable, amirite?

raccoonscity

Website
raccoonscity.tumblr.com

"A Paopu fruit..."
"If two people share one, their destinies become intertwined. And one becomes part of the other's life, no matter what happens. Come on, I knwo you want to try it!" Riku to Sora, end of the first day.

Not to mention that Selphie even says that the legend is so romantic, right before Riku teases Sora about sharing one with her, and he draws the paopu fruit on their cave drawing.

And, even though it wasn't about the paopu but rather Kairi just sharing her story, Olette also comments that it's romantic.

"Used to be" because BbS will describe that same fruit but by saying it represents everlasting friendship and unbreakable connections and is indeed used to try and cement TAV's friendship, and I believe that was a huge help in making people metabolyze the concept that KH is a no-romance zone, when the first chapter basically opened with romance.

I personally don't understand why it can't be both and have different meanings for different people. For Sora and Kairi, it's definitely treated as something romantic. With the BBS trio, it's about their friendship. Different people can contextualize the legend for how they view it or for the people it involves.

Just because friendship is a heavy theme in the series doesn't mean there can't also be romance. Just because there's romance doesn't mean it has to be more important than friendships.

3) Axel/Roxas is a great romance, I get why it skeeves people out but I don't agree that it's more problematic than tasking a bunch of young kids with saving the world and fighting in a literal war. You could make the argument that Sora is a child soldier but nobody will because we've sanitized themes of violence in fantasy so shows like Naruto can show kids getting trained through brutal ritualistic combat to become assassins with no questions asked and even cheers from the audience, but romance and sexuality are still viewed through a puritanical lens of being inherently unhealthy and wrong unless exercised with some kind of extreme caution following strict standards of conduct, which is exactly the kind of mentality that feeds back into this mentality that "you can't have gay stuff in a Disney cartoon!" because kids will be scarred or whatever.

I mean, great example of this: Axel *an adult character* kidnaps Kairi *a fifteen year old* in KH2, and that's basically going to be brushed over with no fanfare at all in KH3. Because it wasn't a sexual advance, just a violent assault on her agency as a person, so we can all accept that it's basically forgivable, amirite?

Because kids are not going to be put into a situation where they will become child soldiers and having fantasy elements like magic or magic keys causes a suspension of disbelief. Kids want to see other kids saving the world(s). Kids like superheroes because it teaches them that they can make a difference in the world and save people.

But sexual abuse/emotional abuse/pedophila/CSA is a very real issue that affects people, so you don't want to romanticize or normalize that. There's huge movements going on right now relating to sexual harrassment and consent because generations of men have been taught that that behavior is okay if you don't get caught, or that women shouldn't speak up or it's their fault.

Not putting gay characters in cartoons or media is a separate issue. It's specifically because they don't want it normalized for kids. But the same principle applies, that media has an effect on how people think and contextualize the world.

And yeah, they could do more to talk about how ethical it is to have Sora be a child soldier, and they should handle the Lea/Kairi situation better, but one wrong (or several wrongs) doesn't mean you can just keep piling mistakes on top of each other.

Last edited:

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards

Not to mention that Selphie even says that the legend is so romantic, right before Riku teases Sora about sharing one with her, and he draws the paopu fruit on their cave drawing.

And, even though it wasn't about the paopu but rather Kairi just sharing her story, Olette also comments that it's romantic.

Olette, coming from behind with the assist.
One day I'll bother remember something one of the HPO trio said.

I personally don't understand why it can't be both and have different meanings for different people. For Sora and Kairi, it's definitely treated as something romantic. With the BBS trio, it's about their friendship. Different people can contextualize the legend for how they view it or for the people it involves.

Just because friendship is a heavy theme in the series doesn't mean there can't also be romance. Just because there's romance doesn't mean it has to be more important than friendships.

It doesn't have to be more important, no, but at least separated I feel like.

Like, there's totally a legit in-canon explanation for the different Paopu lore even just in Aqua quoting something she read in a book about a distant planet she never visited before, so what she read might've been different enough to give her an idea of friendship.
Problem lies in the real world, where people have sometimes troubles separating friendship from romance and/or they make a huge deal about separating the two: KH is but one of many examples of people who just can't bear conceiving romance as friendship or viceversa.

I have no problem with the sheer concept of BbS talking differently about the Paopu, didn't even notice for years, but I feel like its implications with the fandom didn't help. Not necessarily referring to anyone on this thread yet, but many just go ballistic and gun down any possible romance conversation by shouting "there was never any romance in KH, it would ruin the theme of friendship which was and will forever be the only theme!" which can be just as obnoxious as people getting all uppity if you don't immediately ship SoKai or AkuRoku.
Is this more an issue with the people than within the games? Yeah, pretty much.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards

You know I'm not sure if Nomura can end this without angering a part of the fanbase. Even if he did an open ending I'm sure it would upset people because a ship wasn't canon at the end.

raccoonscity

Website
raccoonscity.tumblr.com

You know I'm not sure if Nomura can end this without angering a part of the fanbase. Even if he did an open ending I'm sure it would upset people because a ship wasn't canon at the end.

I know plenty of people will be fine without having a canon romance. Like, SoRiku isn't canon (and technically SoKai, too) right now, but people are perfectly fine with curating their own content.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards

Because kids are not going to be put into a situation where they will become child soldiers and having fantasy elements like magic or magic keys causes a suspension of disbelief. Kids want to see other kids saving the world(s). Kids like superheroes because it teaches them that they can make a difference in the world and save people.

But sexual abuse/emotional abuse/pedophila/CSA is a very real issue that affects people, so you don't want to romanticize or normalize that. There's huge movements going on right now relating to sexual harrassment and consent because generations of men have been taught that that behavior is okay if you don't get caught, or that women shouldn't speak up or it's their fault.
Within fantasy, one can create suspension of disbelief surrounding anything by removing it sufficiently from a real-world context; ultimately this issue is about symbols and how they're internalized through implication rather than literal application, so I wouldn't say that showing children engaging in violence on the scale of all-out warfare and romanticizing that as heroic should get a pass just because it isn't likely to happen in the most privileged sectors of society, which in and of itself constitutes a really limited and prejudicial framework. Violence involving children is often a huge factor at play in poor communities and communities of color which are beset with police brutality usually justified using the moniker of drug or gang warfare and there are entire areas of the world where children are being drawn into war conflicts perpetuated by the same moral powers which hypocritically condemn the use of child soldiers as uncivilized. So I think that the desensitization of people to the issue of children dying in violent conflict and the way that has been made into a safe fantasy is a relevant concern.

But my point was moreso that I feel we've reversed our expectations of media in that I really see sex as being no big deal unless and until it is paired with violence, and general audiences have instead been trained to view violence as no big deal unless and until it is paired with sex. The reason we have the #metoo movement and similar conversations coming about is because of how sex has been weaponized against PoC and women for centuries, but it's the fundamentally violent/conflicting power dynamics between privileged and disadvantaged groups of people which is at stake and sexuality has just been co-opted and scapegoated as the symbol at the center of that conflict. One could also use money, property, even healthcare access as the entry points into that conversation, but sex is more sensational and rings true to generations upon generations of people who have internalized the notion that their and others' sexuality is basically toxic and there needs to be some social rule book governing how people fantasize and relate to one another sexually because it will otherwise inevitably turn violent and abusive, because our sexuality somehow represents the worst and most base parts of who we are.

Queer communities have had to push back against this kind of presupposition for decades and longer, which has been used to categorically deny social access to groups of people who are deemed to exist in contempt of that social rule book, which has been an arbitrary standard from the beginning. I imagine that's a large part of why queer fiction is so prone to push at these boundaries and explicitly examine the kinds of ideas that run contrary to commonly held notions of what is healthy; sometimes it isn't about romanticizing or normalizing anything, but acknowledging that there is no inclusive romantic norm that can explain the spectrum on which human desire exists. See Call Me by Your Name.

Basically, I would defend AkuRoku not as "healthy," but as a nevertheless natural outcome which makes sense given their specific relational dynamic.

Squood!

seibah
Awards

So we talking ships? Because y'all ain't talkin bout the best one.
KH3-Riku-and-Riku-Replica.png

edit: ok seriously I saw this thread and expected discussion about the lyrics and instead I was greeted with a whole lotta ship talk like what the diddly

raccoonscity

Website
raccoonscity.tumblr.com

But my point was moreso that I feel we've reversed our expectations of media in that I really see sex as being no big deal unless and until it is paired with violence, and general audiences have instead been trained to view violence as no big deal unless and until it is paired with sex. The reason we have the #metoo movement and similar conversations coming about is because of how sex has been weaponized against PoC and women for centuries... who have internalized the notion that their and others' sexuality is basically toxic and there needs to be some social rule book governing how people fantasize and relate to one another sexually because it will otherwise inevitably turn violent and abusive, because our sexuality somehow represents the worst and most base parts of who we are.

Just because there's not violence along with sex or romance, doesn't mean there aren't issues and trauma.

But again, if there wasn't an issue with people shipping this, then there wouldn't be thousands of CSA and rape victims saying that they don't want people to fantasize or ship or make content of something that actually has hurt and affected them.

Also, pedophilia isn't a sexuality, so I wouldn't compare shipping gay characters together with the idea of shipping children with adults.

Basically, I would defend AkuRoku not as "healthy," but as a nevertheless natural outcome which makes sense given their specific relational dynamic.

Yet it also perpetuates the idea that gay men are pedophiles and will target and prey on children that don't know any better, which is part of the outrage behind Kevin Spacey coming out when he had allegations against him.

Even so, there's no indication as it is that AkuRoku was ever intended to be a romance. There's no reason to say it's a "natural outcome" of anything just because they were friends.

Meow Wow

Awards

I'm gonna quote myself from the Riku FC here
Riku and Riku sittin' on the beach
K-I-S-S-I-N-G
First comes love
Then comes marriage
Then comes a data clone in a baby carriage

edit: ok seriously I saw this thread and expected discussion about the lyrics and instead I was greeted with a whole lotta ship talk like what the diddly
Welcome to the Kingdom Hearts fandom, where the mention of romance will start a shipping war

Last edited:

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards

i dont like this scene it give that riku riku find in her inner peace and dies i dont know

Relix

A traveler
Awards

Should have never listened to this at work.

Should have never listened to this at work.

Wallflower3582

Srsly this thread really derailed. I think that this whole ship war needs to be toned down a bit. You can ship whoever you want together, but when it comes down to it, excluding the mild SoKai hinted at in 1 and 2, canon romance is pretty much non-existent. (I mean, Roxas outright said Kairi was that girl Sora liked. No matter who we want to ship, that's about as close to romantic suggestion as this series got). Kingdom Hearts is about the power of friendship and the connections between people. It's about being willing to risk everything for those you care about, platonic or not. Trying to pair off characters is purely a hobby of the fans, who scrutinize the games looking for a comment or an action or anything to try and support their ship. I'm not going to deny that I have some characters that I think are practically meant for each other, but it's simply my opinion. It's pointless to try and argue any ship when they simply don't canonically exist as of now, and it's detracting from the actual subject of this thread.

We should be talking about Utada's amazing new song that I have been listening to nonstop since last night. Initially I was thinking this sounded more like an after battle version, but now that I've heard the whole thing I changed my mind. It feels melancholy and sad but hopeful, and like a perfect conclusion to the impending end of this arc, and I love it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back