• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Kingdom Hearts 3's theme song "Chikai" lyrics translation

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

tamanegi

Re: Kingdom Hearts 3's theme song "Chikai" lyrics translation

Well, for Nomura and what he explained to Utada, Passion is about Sora and Riku
I do want to say tho that Sora & Riku make music together and it is Dearly Beloved. Btw that is Nomura’s favorite song.

And their joint keyblade has a paopu fruit on the end of it. Don’t @ me about how the paopu isn’t romantic because it sure is romantic when in reference to SoKai so we aren’t having double standards here.
^^^ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

anyway i'm not invested in romantic ships as much as friendships for this series, but it's kinda funny that ppl are getting defensive over this. i'm sure everyone is already aware of the whole sora/kairi situation regardless of how they personally feel about it. it doesn't really need any more reiteration lol. to each their own?

I think Hikari Utada did a great job on this song, although I’m not a big fan of the bridge where she starts rapping. Feels really out of place imo. I also can’t wait to hear the reprises, instrumentals and/or orchestra versions of this song, Yoko gonna show Hikari how it’s done haha.

yeah that section threw me off at first too, but i think i'm already adjusting to it haha. really love the ending though. as for the orchestral versions, aren't those usually arranged by kaoru wada? either way, am supes excited for it!

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards

We're obvs not getting SoRiku because Disney and Square would not play ball with that. Disney's still mostly doing faux representation, and I'm not certain if Square has any explicitly gay characters.

Anyways, I think the prevailing sentiment is that when you break it down, Sora and Riku have had better components and scenes applicable to a possible romantic relationship, especially with DDD. This is somewhat humorous, because the franchise spent two installments setting up Sokai and then decided to take a 13 year break from not only Kairi herself, but her presence in Sora's mind.

In that 13 years, we've seen Sora and Riku as kids, Sora and Riku as data, and the undeniably gay KHDDD. Someone at SE is a SoRiku shipper and has put in work to get certain scenes in the games, and in lieu of Kairi's decade long absence from the series, it's hard to ignore Sora and Riku's thing.

SoKai is endgame. In some way, shape or form, KH3 is going to continue where KH2 left off, and Sora and Kairi are either going to get together, or grow much closer in that non explicit way that KH2 gave us. In the world of KH, that's fine. Sora being all obsessed and worried about Kairi and thinking about her during any romantic sequence, that stuff only happened a few weeks ago in-universe time. The issue is that in our world, over a decade has passed and we've lost interest.

Sorry for any typos, I'm on mobile babyy

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards

The game has NEVER hinted at romance between Sora and Riku while it definitely has for Kairi.

lmfao

This is so 100% about rikus feelings for sora and i have been blessed thank you utada

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

We're obvs not getting SoRiku because Disney and Square would not play ball with that. Disney's still mostly doing faux representation, and I'm not certain if Square has any explicitly gay characters.

Anyways, I think the prevailing sentiment is that when you break it down, Sora and Riku have had better components and scenes applicable to a possible romantic relationship, especially with DDD. This is somewhat humorous, because the franchise spent two installments setting up Sokai and then decided to take a 13 year break from not only Kairi herself, but her presence in Sora's mind.

In that 13 years, we've seen Sora and Riku as kids, Sora and Riku as data, and the undeniably gay KHDDD. Someone at SE is a SoRiku shipper and has put in work to get certain scenes in the games, and in lieu of Kairi's decade long absence from the series, it's hard to ignore Sora and Riku's thing.

SoKai is endgame. In some way, shape or form, KH3 is going to continue where KH2 left off, and Sora and Kairi are either going to get together, or grow much closer in that non explicit way that KH2 gave us. In the world of KH, that's fine. Sora being all obsessed and worried about Kairi and thinking about her during any romantic sequence, that stuff only happened a few weeks ago in-universe time. The issue is that in our world, over a decade has passed and we've lost interest.

Sorry for any typos, I'm on mobile babyy

Looks good to me. This is honestly how I see it as well, all of my posts aside. SoKai is clearly end-game but there has been a lot more going on in the series without Kairi that makes it hard to imagine how they could pick that up without it just feeling off. We’ve gotten so much amazing development between so many other characters while their relationship has stagnated in real-time for fans.

But there just is so much more depth to Sora and Riku’s relationship which is hard to reconcile with as somebody whose most important relationships, friendships and romantic ones, have been based on similar traits.

Last edited:

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards

i do want to see xion,roxas and lea/axel friendship grow with namime more in kh3 but you know sad though the wayfinder trio wont get deleopment in kh3 and they are the sad trio

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards

The full song is nice. Like Spockanort I think it's my favorite out of three.

As for the shipping, well I'm not touching that with a ten foot pole :p

kingsoraful

Awards

Are we seriously talking DDD though when that's the only game in the series that ended with credits which literally include every romantic relationship ever in the franchise and Disney lore.

It's how people knew that in KH Cloud and Aerith was canon, cause they were included with the likes of Aladdin/Jasmine, Cinderella/her prince, Snow White/her prince, Beast/Belle, Simba/Nala, Mulan/Shang, etc. In the credits the clear KH pairings shown were Sora/Kairi and Roxas/Namine.

That's a pretty big deal IMO. But I don't ship in Kingdom Hearts whatsoever I just adore the games and the relationships all around, but it's always been a no brainer to me that it would always be Sora and Kairi .

Other stuff to add, BBS was obviously gonna show only Sora and Riku together as kids because Kairi had not made it to Destiny Islands yet, she was still in Radiant Garden with her grandma. As they showed in the game.

And they put more focus on Sora and Riku's relationship because Riku became a playable character unlike Kairi, but she was the secret movie of DDD which clearly meant Nomura had big plans for her going forward.

Last edited:

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards

Are we talking ships now?

I strongly believe Sora and Kairi will end up as a couple, mainly because it's the most traditional Disney thing to do. I'm fine with that. This series never put much focus on romance outside of the Disney lore, so almost any pairing is bound to feel a bit forced and tacked on for the sake of having one.

That being said, I can also see why people are shipping Sora and Riku. Although if anything I see that more as being one-sided, with Riku possibly having a crush on Sora, who is just totally oblivious to it and mistakes it for platonic love. And I think this is an issue with any pairing that involves Sora actually. Kairi and Riku are the ones who seem to have romantic interests, whereas Sora still comes off as a naive kid at heart who puts friendship above all else and doesn't care about something as "grown up" as romance.

The only pairing that makes some sense to me is Roxas and Axel. They're the only ones with some actual chemistry. But Disney won't go there. And that's fine, I guess. As long as they don't pair Roxas with someone else like Naminé just because they feel obliged to for the sake of optics.

kingsoraful

Awards

They showed Roxas in the couples credits of DDD with Namine so that seemed as obvious as Sora and Kairi. Along with the ending of KH 2 made it kind of clear as well.

Kairi and Riku are the ones who seem to have romantic interests, whereas Sora still comes off as a naive kid at heart who puts friendship above all else and doesn't care about something as "grown up" as romance

Eh Sora has made his feelings about Kairi pretty clear to everyone around him. Donald and Goofy bring it up many times, TNBC world at the end was a big one. One of the first scenes in the series is Sora drawing a picture of him giving Kairi the paopu fruit. Then there's the importance of Kairi's lucky charm to Sora in KH2.

But again I can see why people ship Soriku absolutely, it's just never been even a thought in my mind Disney would actually go there. I know they never will.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

But again I can see why people ship Soriku absolutely, it's just never been even a thought in my mind Disney would actually go there. I know they never will.
Disney didn't think people would ship their biggest mascot with an 'anime' character, yet MickeyRiku is my favourite ship in the entire series so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

kingsoraful

Awards

I adore Mickey and Riku's relationship. :) It's touching how much Mickey cares and looks after Riku.

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards

MickeyRiku is so awesome as a ship espically the line they said in chain of memories

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards

They showed Roxas in the couples credits of DDD with Namine so that seemed as obvious as Sora and Kairi. Along with the ending of KH 2 made it kind of clear as well.

Which is just a stupid pairing with no actual substance to it. They're being paired just because it's what people expect, even if there's really nothing there. No one in their right mind can argue that Roxas has shown more interest in Namine than Axel. I don't disagree with you that Disney lacks the balls to "go there". But I would definitely prefer for Roxas to not end up with anyone if it's not Axel. There is no good reason to pair him with anyone else.

kingsoraful

Awards

I feel like the reason for Roxas and Namine is they're the Nobody's of Sora and Kairi. I think that's there reasoning behind it. I agree with you, they don't have substance, but being included with the rest of Disney Royalty is a pretty big deal.

It's why Cloud and Aerith shippers celebrated when the credits for DDD were leaked, because they felt validated in knowing Aerith was Cloud's "true love" even when she died in FF7.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards

It's why Cloud and Aerith shippers celebrated when the credits for DDD were leaked, because they felt validated in knowing Aerith was Cloud's "true love" even when she died in FF7.

Except that's not true for the FFVII canon, where Cloud and Tifa clearly end up as the official pairing (and is the only one that makes sense, when you really think about it).

Alja

Which is just a stupid pairing with no actual substance to it. They're being paired just because it's what people expect, even if there's really nothing there. No one in their right mind can argue that Roxas has shown more interest in Namine than Axel. I don't disagree with you that Disney lacks the balls to "go there". But I would definitely prefer for Roxas to not end up with anyone if it's not Axel. There is no good reason to pair him with anyone else.
See, I went into Days thinking "Finally! I'll understand all the Akuroku!" only to come out of it thinking Axel was an awkward big brother who was way too overwhelmed with taking care of two kids in his care. But that's just me. I don't care who ships what unless they're lying about canon and that happens a lot in regard to discrediting Sokai.

It also is a fact that KH1 was focused around Kairi and how Sora and Riku basically started their fight about her (among other reasons), how Sora keeps fantasizing about Kairi in the entirety of KH2, how CoM established Kairi being his most precious person and Days supporting it by making Xion look like Kairi. And BBS had Blank Points which focuses on how Sora basically asks for Kairi's approval to start his journey again. He would have gone anyway without a doubt, but he had to at least talk to her and he was visibly relieved when she did approve. Nomura sucks at writing couples/women and is better at writing male friendships, it's obvious in how he pushes Aqua to the sidelines and focuses on the friendship of Terra and Ven instead.

kingsoraful

Awards

Except that's not true for the FFVII canon, where Cloud and Tifa clearly end up as the official pairing (and is the only one that makes sense, when you really think about it).

Well yes because Aerith died. But in KH Aerith is not dead, so that's what I mean.

Cloud and Aerith was set up as the romance in FF7, it's why the gut punch of Aerith dying is as iconic as it is. Even the gameplay mechanics support this, the whole "dating" thing you can do in the game. Aerith is always set up with the most points at the end to date.

I'm not disputing with you what happened in the end, just what was the set up.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards

See, I went into Days thinking "Finally! I'll understand all the Akuroku!" only to come out of it thinking Axel was an awkward big brother who was way too overwhelmed with taking care of two kids in his care. But that's just me. I don't care who ships what unless they're lying about canon and that happens a lot in regard to discrediting Sokai.

I feel like most of all, none of the relationships in KH portray actual romance. It's all friendship at best. Any romantic pairing is bound to feel forced, because in this world you apparently can't live a happily ever after if you remain single by the time the end credits roll.

Again, I think all relationships are friendship at best (including Sora and Kairi). But going by the very shallow standards for what apparently constitutes a romantic pairing in the KH universe, out of all the relationships shownRoxas and Axel still have the most chemistry by far.

Pairing Roxas with Namine just because their whole sleves are an item feels incredibly forced and backwards. I'm glad that actual Disney movies have moved away from that, and that we can have characters like Elsa who don't need to find a man to make her happy by the end of the movie.

kingsoraful

Awards

I'm glad that actual Disney movies have moved away from that, and that we can have characters like Elsa who don't need to find a man to make her happy by the end of the movie.

That's probably changing in the sequel.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards

Well yes because Aerith died. But in KH Aerith is not dead, so that's what I mean.

Cloud and Aerith was set up as the romance in FF7, it's why the gut punch of Aerith dying is as iconic as it is. Even the gameplay mechanics support this, the whole "dating" thing you can do in the game. Aerith is always set up with the most points at the end to date.

I'm not disputing with you what happened in the end, just what was the set up.

But KH Cloud and KH Aerith aren't the same characters. From what I recall, KH Aerith does not even recall KH Zack. Same applies to Dissidia, which is also its own canon separate from the original games.

And if you want to talk about the actual FFVII canon, Aerith never got to know the real Cloud and he never got to know Aerith as himself. By the time Cloud regained his true memories and self-identity, which he had Tifa to thank for (and he acknowledges she was the only one who could have done it), he also remembers the feelings he had and still has for her. It's why he tried to become a SOLDIER in the first place, to impress her. Aerith was just a bump on the way, who seemed far more interested in him (mainly because he reminded her of Zack), than he was in her. The way he recalls her later on is not as the love of his life (that would be Tifa), but as a dear friend that he and the rest of the group has lost.

That's probably changing in the sequel.

If it does, I hope she turns out to be lesbian (as rumoured).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back