• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KHI makes a KH game! Programming Sub-topic

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkrend

Hey ummm, I saw that you guys were actually thinking of makign a game for this so I'd like to Help in Producing this game however possible :D. umm I'm 14 and the only Programming i've ever experienced is Scratch. Its likes a 2D Game programmer. if we're talking 3d gaming then I have zero intelligence on doing tht x_x when reading through this thread at all the talk about codes i was like @_@. I could try and learn this however since i'm aspiring to be a top Programmer, But atm i'm just a Newbie to all of this...
In ways I could help outside the programming, I could help with choossing the battle music for the Gameplay :D and also Boss battles if possible.

We are using the Unity engine. So the first thing you should is download that.

UNITY: Download and Start Creating Games

The engine uses 3D models, and we plan on making the game similar the PlayStation Kingdom Hearts.
After you've downloaded the Unity engine the next thing you need to do is google some tutorials and just get used the engine.

EDIT: I researched about all of this and I preety much Understand the whole Concept now :D Just a quick question: Do you guys think I shoudl start with JAVA or C++ sicne im a Beginner? If the games gonna be going on the internet then i think its best I go for JAVA don't you think?

C#, JAVA, or Boo. Do not learn C++. We aren't using C++. There plenty of tutorials for JAVA. JAVA is 90% the same as C#. A lot of the code is very similar. C# has less tutorials or guides, but it is the more powerful language. Less bugs if you write it in C# since it was the better debugger.

Pick a language and learn how to use it in Unity. Don't feel pressured or like you need to rush. These things take time. Just learn as you go along.

Last edited:

Pratiko

Awards
Also, adding on Arkrend's comment on programming languages; it doesn't really matter which you pick, since Unity compiles everything to a single language at some point or another, so picking C# over Java because it's (probably) gonna be an online playable game doesn't make it the best choice.

Also, always remember:
You do not need to know how a function works.
You only need to know what it does.
With usage comes understanding.
^Old chinese teachings applied to programming.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards
Woah, you guys are using Unity? That's awesome and perfect timing since I am just now starting to learn how to use it!

So do you guys already have 3D modelers working on stuff? If there's any positions open, I'd be happy to volunteer as a 3D modeler. If you want to see my current work, you can go to my youtube channel C4DNerd. Or if you'd like, you can look at my turbosquid account:
http://www.turbosquid.com/Search/Index.cfm?keyword=TheRPGplayer&x=6&y=9

Of course, I haven't really been following these threads for quite a while now... is there a thread where a summary of everything that's happened thus far is recorded? I just don't want to have to go through over hundreds of pages just to know what exactly is going on.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Darkrider S

C#, JAVA, or Boo. Do not learn C++. We aren't using C++. There plenty of tutorials for JAVA. JAVA is 90% the same as C#. A lot of the code is very similar. C# has less tutorials or guides, but it is the more powerful language. Less bugs if you write it in C# since it was the better debugger.

Pick a language and learn how to use it in Unity. Don't feel pressured or like you need to rush. These things take time. Just learn as you go along.

I've downloaded Unity now ( 403mb +_+ wow.) and im now starting to look for some JAVA turtorials :D and also some unity :) bear with me as i also have school starting from sunday so i may not be active as much

Arkrend

I've downloaded Unity now ( 403mb +_+ wow.)
Doesn't seem like much to me. I consider that a small download. :O
and im now starting to look for some JAVA turtorials :D and also some unity :) bear with me as i also have school starting from sunday so i may not be active as much

It's no big deal. 3D games take years to make with a full team of professionals. So... yeah. No one expects this to be done tomorrow. Just take your time learning the tech.

DarkRiku-12

Woah, you guys are using Unity? That's awesome and perfect timing since I am just now starting to learn how to use it!

So do you guys already have 3D modelers working on stuff? If there's any positions open, I'd be happy to volunteer as a 3D modeler. If you want to see my current work, you can go to my youtube channel C4DNerd. Or if you'd like, you can look at my turbosquid account:
TurboSquid: TheRPGplayer

Of course, I haven't really been following these threads for quite a while now... is there a thread where a summary of everything that's happened thus far is recorded? I just don't want to have to go through over hundreds of pages just to know what exactly is going on.

Thanks!

Oh feel free to! :) We already have about two or three, but more are always welcome. :)

DarkRiku-12

Well, none of them are actually done yet (that I know of) as Cassidy hasn't posted any completed models yet (He posted some that were finished with the modeling aspact, but he hasn't finished texturing them that I know of).

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
Well, none of them are actually done yet (that I know of) as Cassidy hasn't posted any completed models yet (He posted some that were finished with the modeling aspact, but he hasn't finished texturing them that I know of).

If I'm correct then there are still more people working on those right? We can't expect Cassidy to do all that work for us now can we? :)

Anyways, you're right about nothing being really done on that matter. If Cass is the only one that works on'em then we really need some more people for that job though, it's too much work for just one guy + he already does many things for the project, I don't want him to get all stressed out or something.

DarkRiku-12

Oh yes, definately. And no, I don't expect him to work on them all alone. I meant that he's the one with the models that are the most complete so far. As for people that have done some 3d work, there's Cassidy, A Hex Torn has shown some modeling prowess, and I've been tinkering with it as well. Although, we'll need more people if we want to get the models done within a realistic amount of time. That's why I'm so glad that slyfoxx offered his services. I've seen his stuff and he's pretty good. And if there's anybody that is very good with textures, they'd be greatly appreciated, as I suck at it and Cassidy (as amazing as he is) probably doesn't have enough time to design chars., write music AND texture all of the 3d models.

What about you, slyfoxx? Are you pretty good at texturing? (Like, the KH way, with the models pre-shaded and stuff)

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
Oh yes, definately. And no, I don't expect him to work on them all alone. I meant that he's the one with the models that are the most complete so far. As for people that have done some 3d work, there's Cassidy, A Hex Torn has shown some modeling prowess, and I've been tinkering with it as well. Although, we'll need more people if we want to get the models done within a realistic amount of time. That's why I'm so glad that slyfoxx offered his services. I've seen his stuff and he's pretty good. And if there's anybody that is very good with textures, they'd be greatly appreciated, as I suck at it and Cassidy (as amazing as he is) probably doesn't have enough time to design chars., write music AND texture all of the 3d models.

What about you, slyfoxx? Are you pretty good at texturing? (Like, the KH way, with the models pre-shaded and stuff)

Ok, was just making sure because if he was the only one, I'd go and search for more people right away.

It's good to see that there are already people to work on that and I think A Hex Torn really has some great skills, I mean, his stuff on DeviantArt seems legit to me.

And slyfoxx, I've watched your vids on youtube today and I must say I'm impressed. Although it doesn't have the same look of the real deal and things aren't as smooth (coming from a viewing point of someone that doesn't know a thing about this all, I'm sure that already is very difficult to make), it's still so very good!

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards

I'm not very experienced with texturing. If I absolutely had to though, I could. It would just take me some time to get it just right since I wouldn't want the texture to look amateurish.

And slyfoxx, I've watched your vids on youtube today and I must say I'm impressed. Although it doesn't have the same look of the real deal and things aren't as smooth (coming from a viewing point of someone that doesn't know a thing about this all, I'm sure that already is very difficult to make), it's still so very good!

Thanks! Yeah, my character animation and rigging skills specifically could use some work.

By the way, just curious. For the character models, are we going to avoid the flat textured faces that a lot of KH fans seem to hate and just go for the full polygonal face?

Also I don't know if there's a list of models that you'd like me to make or anything like that. Like I said before, I haven't been following up with these threads that much lately so I don't know if there's an official list of what needs to get done and whatnot.

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
I'm not very experienced with texturing. If I absolutely had to though, I could. It would just take me some time to get it just right since I wouldn't want the texture to look amateurish.

Thanks! Yeah, my character animation and rigging skills specifically could use some work.

By the way, just curious. For the character models, are we going to avoid the flat textured faces that a lot of KH fans seem to hate and just go for the full polygonal face?

Also I don't know if there's a list of models that you'd like me to make or anything like that. Like I said before, I haven't been following up with these threads that much lately so I don't know if there's an official list of what needs to get done and whatnot.

It would help if you'd learn to texture, but you don't have to if you wanna! You can still learn, I think (someone if I'm wrong, correct me) you still have enough time to actually learn it :)

And you're welcome! Use this place to learn man, have fun! ;)

As for the list of what needs to be done and what's already done, we're working on a list consisting of all the things that already have been decided. I believe we're almost at the final stages of making that list so I'll keep ya updated on that, that list might help answering your questions :)

disneyfreaksXIII

something that could help us out alot for modeling is if we could get t-stances of the front, side, and back of each character then we could model along the lines.

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
Reviving this thread now *BAM*

We currently are in need for T-stances of the characters. These are crucial for the best modeling possible.

Also, where will we find the textures we're gonna use? Use them from other KH games or something? Sorry if I sound ignorance, don't know much about textures etc. but I think that we can give you guys the things needed to start working too, I'd imagine you're pumped to start working on it yet don't have the means to yet.

Anyways, search for textures, T-stances, learning to work with the engine etc. can I think now begin, Pratiko said he'll be available starting December so we should start working on this part of development too imo :)

Arkrend

Reviving this thread now *BAM*

We currently are in need for T-stances of the characters. These are crucial for the best modeling possible.

I'm currently working on some 3D models. I wanted it to be a surprise though.

Also, where will we find the textures we're gonna use? Use them from other KH games or something?

That's illegal. In order to use textures from Kingdom Hearts game we'd have to rip them from the disc which gives Square Enix permission to sue if we use recourses from their game in our fan game. If we make every single detail ourselves then Square Enix will be limited to a cease and desist.

Besides if we use textures based on another 3D model it would look weird. It we put Sora's textures on Ciel then Ciel would have the color of Sora's jacket on her neck and shoulders. It's not the proper method of texturing a character model.

Once the 3D model is complete, which mine pretty much other then refining it, I bake the model four times to produce a guide of where to put shadows on the textures. Textures can be made in Microsoft Paint, Photoshop, Gimp, etc.

After mapping a lightmap, guide of where to put the shadows, and I pop out the UV map as an image to be edited in an outside program. I apply the shadows onto that texture.

Then in an picture editing program I do things like apply shadows and make it look more realistic. Once I am done editing the picture I put it back in the 3D modeling program and apply the textures to see how it looks.

If my 3D model has a skeleton and animations then it is ready to be imported. When imported I need to make the textures a child to the model for Unity to apply them, drag and drop, and then write up code to activate the animations.

Something I've been looking up is how to share animations between models with the same skeleton. Let's take Ciel for example. I make a Ciel character model. She is fully animated and all of her attack animations are attached to her model.

Now I need to work on the next Ciel model where she is wearing her adventure clothing. Models need the same skeleton because it is the same character, but it will be a different model. In order to make the game design efficient clothing is part of the character's body, this is normal and PS2 games did this often, so giving Ciel new clothes means giving her a new body.

Each of the four will have five different character models in this game and each of their models needs to share the same skeleton unless we want to remake every single animation every time we give Ciel a new outfit.

Sorry if I sound ignorance, don't know much about textures etc. but I think that we can give you guys the things needed to start working too, I'd imagine you're pumped to start working on it yet don't have the means to yet.

I'm already making a few of those things. Textures need to actually be drawn if you want them to... you know... actually match the character model. Again Sora's textures on Ciel wouldn't work. Ciel has her own color scheme and her outfit doesn't match Sora's at all.

I mean it's possible to use a texture for Sora and make it look good on Ciel but then we have a Ciel who has Sora's color scheme and looks a little odd due to parts of the texture not fitting well. You're supposed to make the textures yourself if you want it to look especially when we have detailed characters like the four and Lucius.

Anyways, search for textures, T-stances, learning to work with the engine etc. can I think now begin, Pratiko said he'll be available starting December so we should start working on this part of development too imo :)

Well Unity uses a slightly modified version of JavaScript called UnityScript. It's the easiest language to learn and has the most tutorials using UnityScript so ideally it's the best one to post this for.

This is from the Unity website and is written in mind for individuals with no prior programming experience.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/34015

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
I'm currently working on some 3D models. I wanted it to be a surprise though.

Telepathy my friend, telepathy ;D

That's illegal. In order to use textures from Kingdom Hearts game we'd have to rip them from the disc which gives Square Enix permission to sue if we use recourses from their game in our fan game. If we make every single detail ourselves then Square Enix will be limited to a cease and desist.

Besides if we use textures based on another 3D model it would look weird. It we put Sora's textures on Ciel then Ciel would have the color of Sora's jacket on her neck and shoulders. It's not the proper method of texturing a character model.

Once the 3D model is complete, which mine pretty much other then refining it, I bake the model four times to produce a guide of where to put shadows on the textures. Textures can be made in Microsoft Paint, Photoshop, Gimp, etc.

After mapping a lightmap, guide of where to put the shadows, and I pop out the UV map as an image to be edited in an outside program. I apply the shadows onto that texture.

Then in an picture editing program I do things like apply shadows and make it look more realistic. Once I am done editing the picture I put it back in the 3D modeling program and apply the textures to see how it looks.

If my 3D model has a skeleton and animations then it is ready to be imported. When imported I need to make the textures a child to the model for Unity to apply them, drag and drop, and then write up code to activate the animations.

Something I've been looking up is how to share animations between models with the same skeleton. Let's take Ciel for example. I make a Ciel character model. She is fully animated and all of her attack animations are attached to her model.

Now I need to work on the next Ciel model where she is wearing her adventure clothing. Models need the same skeleton because it is the same character, but it will be a different model. In order to make the game design efficient clothing is part of the character's body, this is normal and PS2 games did this often, so giving Ciel new clothes means giving her a new body.

Each of the four will have five different character models in this game and each of their models needs to share the same skeleton unless we want to remake every single animation every time we give Ciel a new outfit.

Hehe well this is the part where I say 'I have no knowledge whatsoever about modeling, textures and therefore did not know this would be illegal' :D. But it makes sense though, makes me wonder if music (probably not) and sound effects can be re-used?

It'll be a pain I think to remake the sound effects no?

I'm already making a few of those things. Textures need to actually be drawn if you want them to... you know... actually match the character model. Again Sora's textures on Ciel wouldn't work. Ciel has her own color scheme and her outfit doesn't match Sora's at all.

I mean it's possible to use a texture for Sora and make it look good on Ciel but then we have a Ciel who has Sora's color scheme and looks a little odd due to parts of the texture not fitting well. You're supposed to make the textures yourself if you want it to look especially when we have detailed characters like the four and Lucius.

Yeah thought it would be something like this. Thanks for clarifying!

Well Unity uses a slightly modified version of JavaScript called UnityScript. It's the easiest language to learn and has the most tutorials using UnityScript so ideally it's the best one to post this for.

This is from the Unity website and is written in mind for individuals with no prior programming experience.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/34015

Okidokie, this will be helpful for people who still have to learn stuuf ^^

Can't wait to see some 3d models though :)

Pratiko

Awards
I've got two exams left: Electromagnetism and Probabilities...
Gonna be tough, I need over 75% on both to pass the terms... hope I do, I'm studying very hard for it.
I'll be finished on December 7th and will travel to another city that same weekend, but I'll still be available. So, I guess I can start working then. Not gonna promise any features at all, since I don't know how hard it'll be.
That'd be my report for now.

Arkrend

Hehe well this is the part where I say 'I have no knowledge whatsoever about modeling, textures and therefore did not know this would be illegal' :D. But it makes sense though, makes me wonder if music (probably not) and sound effects can be re-used?

It'll be a pain I think to remake the sound effects no?

We're going to have to. We can't use audio from the disc or music that belongs to an artist. Maybe we could google, "Sounds of fire" or something like that, but we want to avoid anything from the actual Kingdom Hearts games.

I mean it won't be too hard. I've got a microphone, and I've got potato chips. Crumbling up a bag of chips sounds like a roaring fire. That's how some places make the sound effects. They use ordinary house hold items to make a lot of the noises.

I believe that was parodied in the cartoon Pink & the Brain when the visit a radio station and see how they make the sound effects of a horse walking using bricks.

Can't wait to see some 3d models though :)

Mainly working on textures right now. Should be ready soon, but this stuff takes time to make if you want it to be good looking.

I'm going to get back to working on it now.

Status Report

Star Date: 71-210016

I've got two exams left: Electromagnetism... and Probabilities...

Gonna be tough, I need over 75% on both to pass the terms... hope I do, I'm... studying very hard for it.
I'll be finished on December 7th... and will travel to another city... that same weekend, but I'll still be available. So, I guess I can start working then. Not gonna promise any features at all, since I don't know how hard it'll be.
That'd be my report for now.

Beam me up Scotty.

Interesting analysis. I look forward to further reports.

DarkRiku-12

mean it won't be too hard. I've got a microphone, and I've got potato chips. Crumbling up a bag of chips sounds like a roaring fire. That's how some places make the sound effects. They use ordinary house hold items to make a lot of the noises.

It's funny because that's how Disney makes most of their sound effects. XD They use house hold items to make sounds. Like, to make a roaring wind, they would drag a bag of sand across a carpeted floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back