• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KHI makes a KH game! Programming Sub-topic

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Key to Truth

Awards
I figured Key to Truth would want to know this.

If we decide on the Cryengine then the only programming language available is C++ from what I've researched. Commercial games for Cyrengine require a license but since this a free game no license is needed.

Basically I asking Key to Truth what his opinion is. Would he rather learn the differences between C++ and C#, or simply vote for the Cryengine where he doesn't need to learn anything?

For the rest of us we have to learn something either way. Just wondering if C# is a turn off for Key to Truth since I mistakenly included C++ in the list of scripting languages for Unity when it was actually C#.

C# is indeed a turn off for me but... it's not like I cannot get used to it. I can try. Anyways, using Cryengine would involve only people with a good experience at programming and skill at using the engine (which I am not) so it is better to just find an alternative to it.

Arkrend

I guess Cryengine, the Crysis Engine, isn't an option then. C# is supposed to be easy to learn if you know C++. So if you do decide to use it then the transition shouldn't take very long.

Currently my vote goes to either Unity or Cryengine. Both are free, allow full AAA quality game to made on them, and if the game is released people can play it right away. They won't actually need the Cryengine or Unity to play the game.

As far as support of 3D models go Unity accepts models from Blender, Maya, Cinema 4D, 3ds MAX, Cheetah 3D, Modo, and Lightwave.

Cryengine only seems to support Maya, and 3ds MAX.

Blender is the only free 3D modelling tool I know of. I am kind of leaning towards Unity at the moment simply because it is more accessible since it was made for people who want to learn how to make games.

disneyfreaksXIII

okay then before those of us who are on for the learning aspect of this project i say we wait to start studying different languages until we've narrowed down what game engine we're using.

Arkrend

okay then before those of us who are on for the learning aspect of this project i say we wait to start studying different languages until we've narrowed down what game engine we're using.

I'm going to start out with C#. Using the PDF online book from my post. I'm guessing C# and C++ are the main ones to learn since most things use those two.

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards

Pratiko

Awards
As I promised, I had some time to work and learn the Unity engine and after downloading many many programs and going through many many tutorials I got to this:

vao02.jpg

Hope you can recognize who that is.

The original model looks like this:

dzf32d.jpg

(Ignore that thing going through Sora's head)

It took me a while to convert the model (which I had to do twice: from MDX to OBJ, then to FBX) just to show you what Unity can do. Hope you got excited or whatever.

Arkrend

Nice job Pratiko. So you've been practicing transferring models? My laptop refuses to load the image but my phone showed me your picture. Currently I've managed to make a clock with ticking hands. It works in real time. So I programmed a clock made out of cubes, each cube at a different proportion.

I'm hoping to make enough progress before the end of the month to show off a video. Currently working on it.

Pratiko

Awards
Nice job Pratiko. So you've been practicing transferring models? My laptop refuses to load the image but my phone showed me your picture. Currently I've managed to make a clock with ticking hands. It works in real time. So I programmed a clock made out of cubes, each cube at a different proportion.

I'm hoping to make enough progress before the end of the month to show off a video. Currently working on it.

Yeah, still getting the hang of it, though. It's not as easy as just importing the models into the engine since it won't recognize textures or animations correctly, so you'd have to bone them entirely over within the program.

Despite that, I got the actual model in the game, was hard but did it. Was starting to attach scrypts to the objects to work on a movable camera like that of the Kingdom Hearts, controled by the arrows. The scrypt is actually in the tutorial, but I'd like to optimize it to work closer to Kingdom Hearts II's camera. That'd be half of the main dificulty to make some gameplay taken down.

Arkrend

Did you import the model from Blender or Maya? If not that might be why textures and animations were lost.

Pratiko

Awards
Did you import the model from Blender or Maya? If not that might be why textures and animations were lost.

From Milkshape to FBX Packager to Unity (MDX > OBJ > FBX).
Blender doesn't read MDX format.

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
As I promised, I had some time to work and learn the Unity engine and after downloading many many programs and going through many many tutorials I got to this:

vao02.jpg

Hope you can recognize who that is.

The original model looks like this:

dzf32d.jpg

(Ignore that thing going through Sora's head)

It took me a while to convert the model (which I had to do twice: from MDX to OBJ, then to FBX) just to show you what Unity can do. Hope you got excited or whatever.

Looks very promising! Keep doing what you do and I think it'll be great. Have there been some things decided here like f.e. the engine you're gonna use? Last time I checked it was the Unity engine if I'm correct?

Pratiko

Awards
Yeah, Unity has a lot of stuff already done, there's plenty tutorials, and it's easy to work with once you get the hang of it (still doing so, though). I'll be more active when I finish this semester, though (around 7th of december).

Arkrend

If Unity is decided then I think there are some helpful things that might go good in the first post.

Unity Engine Download Link

The Unity Engine is a free engine capable of creating full 3D games.

Examples:[video=youtube;njUc2gR4ieY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njUc2gR4ieY[/video][video=youtube;pZERbx6JNq0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZERbx6JNq0&feature=related[/video]

The 30 day trial allows access to the Pro tools which allows better graphics, lighting, and a license to sell your games. The Pro version is not needed for this project.

Unity uses the programming languages C#, JAVA, and Boo. 3D models for Unity can be made with Blender, Maya, 3Ds Max, Cinema 4D, Cheetah 3D, Modo, and Lightwave.

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
I have a small question. You said in the World Discussion thread that this game would kind of emulate PS2 graphics etc. Now, I already knew that that we were going to go with that but it raised a question. A supposedly PS2 game, is it difficult to run on a laptop? I mean, in order to play this game, will we need a strong PC/laptop or will the most PC's/laptops be able to run this game without much problem?

I don't know if you can already answer this question though but thought I'd might ask :)

Arkrend

I have a small question. You said in the World Discussion thread that this game would kind of emulate PS2 graphics etc. Now, I already knew that that we were going to go with that but it raised a question. A supposedly PS2 game, is it difficult to run on a laptop? I mean, in order to play this game, will we need a strong PC/laptop or will the most PC's/laptops be able to run this game without much problem?

I don't know if you can already answer this question though but thought I'd might ask :)

It's hard to tell. We won't really know until we're done. Since this game is being made for PC it's requirements will be different than an actual PS2 game. PC games cut out a lot of middle men compared to console games.

It's likely that the average computer/laptop made in the past three years should be able to play it. Unity has a webplayer so if this game doesn't work well for some people's PC we can just put the entire game online. I'm not sure if this website is capable of hosting games, but it works the same as a Flash game.

The Cartoon Network MMO, Fusion Fall, was made with Unity. As was the Nickelodeon MMO, Monkey Quest, so Unity can make web games too.

This a game made by Warner Bros to promote their film.

So webgames are a route we can use if the requirements are too high for a download, or we can offer both. You can download the game or play online. Though saves would have to tied to our accounts so I'm not sure if this website would support a webgame with saves.

Stuff like that is further down the line though.

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
It's hard to tell. We won't really know until we're done. Since this game is being made for PC it's requirements will be different than an actual PS2 game. PC games cut out a lot of middle men compared to console games.

It's likely that the average computer/laptop made in the past three years should be able to play it. Unity has a webplayer so if this game doesn't work well for some people's PC we can just put the entire game online. I'm not sure if this website is capable of hosting games, but it works the same as a Flash game.

The Cartoon Network MMO, Fusion Fall, was made with Unity. As was the Nickelodeon MMO, Monkey Quest, so Unity can make web games too.

This a game made by Warner Bros to promote their film.

So webgames are a route we can use if the requirements are too high for a download, or we can offer both. You can download the game or play online. Though saves would have to tied to our accounts so I'm not sure if this website would support a webgame with saves.

Stuff like that is further down the line though.

Ok, thanks for explaining! I was just curious since, when the game would be finished, I'd actually be wanting to play it myself haha xp. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Anyways, again thanks for explaining!

Darkrider S

Hey ummm, I saw that you guys were actually thinking of makign a game for this so I'd like to Help in Producing this game however possible :D. umm I'm 14 and the only Programming i've ever experienced is Scratch. Its likes a 2D Game programmer. if we're talking 3d gaming then I have zero intelligence on doing tht x_x when reading through this thread at all the talk about codes i was like @_@. I could try and learn this however since i'm aspiring to be a top Programmer, But atm i'm just a Newbie to all of this...
In ways I could help outside the programming, I could help with choossing the battle music for the Gameplay :D and also Boss battles if possible.

EDIT: I researched about all of this and I preety much Understand the whole Concept now :D Just a quick question: Do you guys think I shoudl start with JAVA or C++ sicne im a Beginner? If the games gonna be going on the internet then i think its best I go for JAVA don't you think?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back