• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Jim Meskimen to replace Dan Castellaneta as "Genie" in Future Games

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Hm, it's too early to judge whether I like him or not based on that small clip. I thought Dan did a fine job, but in all honesty, no one can best Robin at the role. That role is his own. This is a common thing to happen in the voice over industry though, so I'm neither surprised, let down or excited. We'll just see how it goes.

JustSnilloc

He may have the mannerisms right but the voice sounds nothing like Genie. This really will distract me every time I'll hear his voice. What a shame :/

Agreed... I've generally not noticed the VA changes in KH, but his voice sounds waaay too different. As per sounding more like Robin Williams, I'd have to disagree, after having listened to them side by side I can't say that they're similar enough for my tastes.

Xagzan

Awards
if Corey Burton or Jim Cummings die or retire I'm going to quit KH

If Billy Zane didn't make me quit KH, nothing will.

Besides, this guy seems pretty good, especially in the Night Before Christmas video. I think he'll do fine, and even sound closer to Robin.

Sdog

Awards
Money talks.

Ahhh, should've assumed as much. Is a shame too, I know he probably isn't rolling in the doubtfire money anymore but you'd think still playin the role would be enough. But eh what do I know, I don't have the upper class probz.

TerraTF

This guy sounds like he's trying to do an impression of Dan trying to do an impression of Robin Williams. Really wish Robin agreed to do Genie.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Ahhh, should've assumed as much. Is a shame too, I know he probably isn't rolling in the doubtfire money anymore but you'd think still playin the role would be enough. But eh what do I know, I don't have the upper class probz.

He's still considered a high ranking actor, and he does plenty of work that brings in good money.

When I say "money talks", I specifically mean that Disney isn't willing to spend a ton of money for a dub and I don't imagine Robin Williams is willing to take any modest pay for an iconic role like Genie. It is highly likely that Disney has never asked Robin Williams to return because it has always been cheaper to hire their own Disney cast to do it.

Last edited:

Sdog

Awards
It is highly likely that Disney has never asked Robin Williams to return because it has always been cheaper to hire their own Disney cast to do it.

It'd be nice to know if they at least asked though, especially if they just assumed he'd turn it down. Even if it were to be the case I don't see Robin as being the type of guy to come out and say "Nah they weren't going to pay me enough money." Especially if you say he is still making some good green, cause I haven't kept up with what he's been doin for the past few years =/.

I don't know, I'd just like some peace of mind on the matter cause I do thoroughly enjoy me some Robin =(.

demonick

Texas. Plus those other, 49, lesser states.
I find it kind of odd that there are so many people surprised over the money issue. Remember, Disney couldn't afford Robin Williams for the original movie; he actually agreed to take a major pay cut in order to do it though, on the conditions that they not use his voice recordings for anything outside the movie, and that they not give his character top billing/have him be the primary focus of advertising. Both of which they did anyways. That's why he didn't voice Genie in the second movie, because he and the company had had a falling out over them ignoring his conditions. It was only after a public apology that he agreed to do the third one. Honestly, for how few lines Genie would get in a KH video game, I'm not surprised Disney wouldn't want to try to broach the subject with him. I just probably wouldn't be worth it for them, sadly.

...Of course, I never really liked Castallaneta as Genie anyhow. I mean, I love him as a voice actor, and he's brilliant, but he was always too over-the-top as Genie for me (which I suspect was more of a directing choice). I think the problem is that no one is able to play the character with the same, huge vocal range Williams was able to. Also, it seems like they always go for the lower register when Genie's 'normal' speaking voice is actually a little higher.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Genie is just a hard character to play and write for. He never turns out that good to me, because the jokes are always forced. The only reason it worked in the film is because Robin Williams ad-libbed most of the jokes. So even though I've never really liked Castallaneta as Genie, I have a lot of sympathy for anyone who has to play the character.

bazimon

I'll sure miss Dan, he allways was able to do it for me :c

If only Robin Williams would replace him in KH XD

BlueKey777

Banned
I cant really tell the difference in KH compaired to the actuall movie but if Robin Williams was to be in KH3 it would be hype!

King Sora X

Legendary Member
Awards
I cant really tell the difference in KH compaired to the actuall movie but if Robin Williams was to be in KH3 it would be hype!

As much as I would love to see that happen, I think the problem that would be of highest concern is how much will he want to do it? I mean, KH3 is most likely going to have a very high budget, but still to use a good deal of that for Robin Williams wouldn't be smart imo.

BlueKey777

Banned
As much as I would love to see that happen, I think the problem that would be of highest concern is how much will he want to do it? I mean, KH3 is most likely going to have a very high budget, but still to use a good deal of that for Robin Williams wouldn't be smart imo.
I guess it would just depend if Robin would take lower pay then we could be safe knowing that we got the real deal voice actor. but as a side note the other voice actors who have voiced genie have done a very good job :)

King Sora X

Legendary Member
Awards
I guess it would just depend if Robin would take lower pay then we could be safe knowing that we got the real deal voice actor. but as a side note the other voice actors who have voiced genie have done a very good job :)

I'm just going off of what I think what would happen. I mean, for all we know, he could agree to do it and not want THAT much. I agree on the note that the other VAs have done a very good job at voicing Genie. Almost exactly sounding like Robin Williams. Hell, at times even sometimes better than Robin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back