• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► James Woods Confirms Voice Work on Kingdom Hearts 3

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
condemn his views, love his performance. I've always maintained that James is one of the greatest if not the greatest voice actor in Kingdom Hearts. He brings fun and authenticity to every scene he's in. James Patrick Stuart is also nearly on that level as Xigbar.

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
condemn his views, love his performance. I've always maintained that James is one of the greatest if not the greatest voice actor in Kingdom Hearts. He brings fun and authenticity to every scene he's in. James Patrick Stuart is also nearly on that level as Xigbar.
james patrick stuart was made for the role as xigbar/braig they couldnt a perfect for that role just like quinton flyyn was made for the lea/axel

WhinyAcademic

Awards
James Woods is a pretty shitty person in real life for reasons we can’t discuss on these forums but... well, I’ll probably always be willing to turn a blind eye and welcome him back as Hades.

It’s also delightful to hear that English voice recording is well underway. Just hope they can get some more big names (well Woods isn’t much of a big name anymore but still), like Mandy Moore, Zachary Levi, Billy Crystal, John Goodman, Tim Allen, and Tom Hanks (I don’t care that Jim does the video game voices, nothing compares to Tom, maybe they can convince him to come in for this big game).

EDIT: Whoa, guess there isn’t a ban on that kind of talk. Should be, like on TFW2005, it just causes strife and bans for all parties in my experience.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
"He is a Heartless. He can deny it, his apologists in the media can refute it, and his enablers can promote a narrative that he is a goat. It’s a pack of lies. Philoctetes is a Heartless and that is where his allegiance lies. Always has. Always will."

- leaked Hades quote from KH3

Awards
I just want to say that being gay is not easy. Meeting new people is always tough because you don't know if they are going to be cool with the gay thing or if they are a person who is homophobic and might beat the living shit out of you. Yes, those are the two end poles that most LGBTIQ+ people expect when interacting with new people. It is hard to find middle ground there because people are still very much homophobic.

The 'coming out' thing is always viewed as a one time event, and the first time is always the biggest and most monumental in a gay person's life, but each time you meet a new person, in work or shopping or whatever, you have to relive the coming out thing all over again and there is always the fear and the threat the one person will react violently. What Woods' said fuels that.

LGBTIQ+ people may come across as obnoxious but that is because we are sick of living in the shadows, having to hide away to protect other peoples feelings. We just want to be out and proud and expressing ourselves. AIDs was a big pandemic that really hit the gay community and there are still people out there afraid of talking with a gay person out of fear of getting the disease (even though talking doesn't spread it).

I get what you mean, but we in this community are faced with blunt hate each day. I actually felt like absolute shit last year when my government decided to open up the conversation to whether I could marry another man or not to the entirety of Australia. Then, these people could vote on whether or not they deem me and my community worthy enough to be able to marry someone of the same sex. There are still people trying to overturn that, and one of those guys even wanted to repel the Racial Discrimination act so he can insult people without fear of a blowback.

Dude, I have always liked you but now I respect you... I second everything that you said here. The part where you said that we have to keep re-living the coming out event again and again and again is so diddlying true and so diddlying tirying. EVERY diddlyING TIME me and my boyfriend are on a date at least one person come to us and asks "Are you guys brothers?" and god the first time it was funny but we have been together for almost two years now and this keeps happening, it is that hard for someone to just asume we are a couple? And that's my point... People in our world are so homophobic that if they see two grown bearded man touching each others hands or being lovely to one another they need to be brothers because being gay in public for them it's not a thing or it isn't right you know?

I'm sorry, I'm a litle bit pissed rn

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
Dude, I have always liked you but now I respect you... I second everything that you said here. The part where you said that we have to keep re-living the coming out event again and again and again is so diddlying true and so diddlying tirying. EVERY diddlyING TIME me and my boyfriend are on a date at least one person come to us and asks "Are you guys brothers?" and god the first time it was funny but we have been together for almost two years now and this keeps happening, it is that hard for someone to just asume we are a couple? And that's my point... People in our world are so homophobic that if they see two grown bearded man touching each others hands or being lovely to one another they need to be brothers because being gay in public for them it's not a thing or it isn't right you know?

I'm sorry, I'm a litle bit pissed rn

Oh gosh, no one has ever done anything like that to me when I have been with a boyfriend, maybe its a cultural difference? I am always looking over my shoulder...but I have been lucky no one has ever really done anything. But I haven't been lucky enough to get a long term boyfriend to consistently go out with all the time lol, so that doesn't help...

But yeah, I guess I didn't say it either Chaser, but thanks for putting it so well. That's exactly what it is still like unfortunately...

James Woods is a pretty shitty person in real life for reasons we can’t discuss on these forums but... well, I’ll probably always be willing to turn a blind eye and welcome him back as Hades.

It’s also delightful to hear that English voice recording is well underway. Just hope they can get some more big names (well Woods isn’t much of a big name anymore but still), like Mandy Moore, Zachary Levi, Billy Crystal, John Goodman, Tim Allen, and Tom Hanks (I don’t care that Jim does the video game voices, nothing compares to Tom, maybe they can convince him to come in for this big game).

EDIT: Whoa, guess there isn’t a ban on that kind of talk. Should be, like on TFW2005, it just causes strife and bans for all parties in my experience.

They ban you just for bringing up bigotry? Or like going into the gritty details?? Either way, yeah, I mean like the mods said, its relevant to this discussion and his inclusion so I'm glad we were able to discuss it.

As for the voices. I feel like I am not holding my breath for the Pixar cast, but I would expect the Tangled ones again, and Big Hero 6 even though you didn't list them lol. And Hercules of course, minus DeVito like Chaser said way back.

also we will probably get all the current actors of Winnie the Pooh, and I hope the Frozen people reprise their roles too, I sort of expect them to? But I guess they don't have a show to be recording.

Last edited:

Dr_Mario64

i'm being glib, but honestly, the idea that "gay people shouldn't be killed or ostracized for being gay" is considered just a "belief" and up for debate is pretty horrendous.

Welcome to reality, buddy. I know it's injustice, and I know nobody deserves to be treated the way LGBT people do, but expecting people to conform to your morals just because "it's obvious" is more than a tad presumptuous. I'm not saying you're wrong; just that you're not exactly winning any points in your presentation. It's not what you say that bothers me; it's how you say it.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Dude, I have always liked you but now I respect you... I second everything that you said here.

But yeah, I guess I didn't say it either Chaser, but thanks for putting it so well. That's exactly what it is still like unfortunately...
Thanks. I hate it as well. I live in the country and while most people are great there are some people who aren't quite accepting. The other day, while doing shopping, I had to hold my bags in a way that my hand would be 'limp' and I was afraid walking around the shopping centre that someone would come up and harass me.

In other news, I feel that my day has gotten a bit better because Alyson Stoner came out and so I'm happy to support her with this series :). James Woods might have gotten a pay check for KH3, but so did Alyson (if they actually gave her a role) so I'm happy with that.

Reiji

I sure hope that they atleast made an effort on casting the OG VA's to reprise their roles. There's obvious exceptions like Tom Hanks who has a... Bro-pact, i guess with Jim Hanks, but the other great VA's shouldn't have a problem contributing with their amazing performances for KH3.

I use to believe that Disney viewed KH as this "less important project" for a long time. After lots of KH3 trailers and info gathered over the past 3 years, I've stepped back on that thought and I do believe they'll try on giving each world the authenticity they're known for having. KH is what will and has made Disney relevant in the gaming industry for quite some time now. Yes, I'm aware about marvel & Star Wars, but let's be real, those IPs would be relevant regardless of their owners, but that centric (for lack of better word) side of Disney has had issues lately like the Disney Infinity flop, so I believe it's kinda logical to assume that they would want to take out the big guns for KH3 since it seems like it's the only thing going for them gaming wise.

Last edited:

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
archiveofourown.org
Welcome to reality, buddy.
you don't need to tell me what reality is for living as a queer person, buddy. i'm well aware.

It's not what you say that bothers me; it's how you say it.
do you even listen to yourself? you're saying tone is what is important when it comes to gay people asking not to be killed, not to be oppressed? like, gee, if only gay people would ask nicer than maybe society would treat them better after centuries of subjugating them and treating them like second class citizens. it speaks volumes that you are more concerned with how a plea is worded than the fact that a plea is needed at all.

ClarkChakram

So much hate on this forum. I think it's great that James Woods is returning as Hades! There isn't anyone who can replace him. He's one of the best. I feel that this forum has too much talk about politics and not enough about possible Kingdom Hearts 3 VAs. As for other returning VAs, I hope that Hayden Panettiere will return as Kairi and that Alyson Stoner will return as Xion. Also I think it's possible that there will be a English VA trailer compilation, consisting of the trailers we got from Toy Story, Olympus Coliseum, Monsters, Inc., and Tangled. Also do you think there's a possibility that they bring out the main English VAs at E3? Can't wait to find out who will be voicing Master Xehanort. I'm definitely staying positive about the possibility of John Goodman, Billy Crystal, and Tim Allen voicing their respective characters. If Danny Devito voices Phil, then I'll be even more shocked. I think Disney is trying a little harder to get some of the original VAs to voice their characters. If The Jungle Book is indeed a world, I think there's a slim possibility that Haley Joel Osment would voice Mowgli. Also Mandy Moore probably will voice Rapunzel, as her voice has already appeared in another game in the series, Kingdom Hearts 1, as Aerith. I'm sure Zachary Levi will voice Flynn Rider, especially since he voices him in Tangled: The Series. Ryan Potter and Scott Adsit, I'm positive will be voicing Hiro and Baymax because they also are voicing them in Big Hero 6: The Series.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
I guess trying to go back on topic was just a nice thought.
I'm not "pissed" this thread got derailed, mind you, it's just that these topics are touchy for a reason: I think the main issue is that there always will be a disconnection between each side until everybody learns to understand the other's perspective and feelings (understand, not accepting blindly).
People who for whatever reason are against condemnding Woods that much will try and express their unsatisfaction by saying things like "phrase this better", "don't be so mad at someone who advocates your destruction" and so on. Which is just... no, you can't do that. You can't just ask (or DEMAND) people who went through painful experiences you'll never even imagine to ditch all of that and embrace your view on the subject.
But likewise, the biggest... mh, I guess gripe? I have with the opposite faction, is the same problem of just imposing a way on others.
Look, this is a really awful and hard thing to say and I'm not feeling good about it. LGBT people (and all minorities as that) just want equality and being treated as normal and dignified human beings (there definitely are individuals out there for some kind of vendetta, but as Sora2016 said extremists exist everywhere). And I am totally out there with you that's only fair and should've been like this from the very beginning.
But the ugly truth is that it just didn't happen, and there are individuals who think this is up for debate or even those who says violence against gay people isn't a thing anymore (yeah, right).
Casting momentarily aside all the frustration this provokes, it shows some people have a harder time even figuring out there is a problem with the suffering of so many others. Which is... bad, dumb, unfair, whichever you want and you're probably right, but this is why ""just"" pointing out the problems isn't enough.

So while on some aspects this indeed is "bigots vs a fair and humane demand", I think they both suffer from the same problem: one side can't empathize enough with the opposite to effectively convey their message or understand the other. People from the LGBT community can totally say to me they don't want to empathize with dumb bigots who think their existence is a matter of discussion, and as a straight person I can't talk you out of that: that's your choice to make as you're your own man/woman.
But I think that's the only way to truly proceed on this fight, especially if universal decency and human treatment for everyone is what we want.

TLDR: I'm one of the people who loved Joyner Lucas "I'm not racist" song and believes we need mutual understanding which also implies coming to terms with understanding even the most obtuse or infuriating mindset. If you don't want to, that's okay. Coherently with my message, it's not up to me to tell you how to fight this war or to fight in the first place.

they'd more likely just release a new trailer that may have that scene in English in it, instead of re-releasing a trailer?

Yeah I would expect a compilation trailer with scenes from Monsters Inc and Toy Story with English voices included instead just remaking the past trailers.

Mh okay, I can see a compilation, maybe a trailer made of past trailers' highlights.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Take what you will, ultimately you're the moderators and staff so you make the decisions. But to me it seems like f'tang was hurt because of all of the hate towards a person's political stance which he clearly shared and he lashed out.

That's his fault for not being civil and respectfully elaborating his point of view. Calling everybody Social Justice Warriors with no context is an insult. Plain and simple. There's free speech and then there's hate speech, people who are talking here are clearly aware of the difference between the two.

The only reason why you don't agree with Woods being a terrible person is because he is not targeting the kind of people you care about. The day that he targets people that are more alike than you is the day you'll understand why people hate him. By the way, did you make the effort to click the links on the previous posts? because as I elaborated there, he's accused of harassment.

And don't pull the :p face, that just makes you look condescending.

Onto the topic at hand, maybe Square Enix was the one to hire back James Woods and not Disney. Because if I recall correctly, voice acting casting is delegated between Disney and Square Enix depending on the character. Disney is very conscious about the PR surrounding the people they hire for any project, however, I highly doubt Square Enix has the same mentality.

Cakeberry

He has never voiced Phil in the Kingdom Hearts series. In every appearance it has been Robert Costanzo. Costanzo is often the voice stand-in for DeVito, just like Jim Hanks is the voice stand-in for his brother, Tom.

OH I'm not so familiar with voice actors so I didn't know that! I was a little sad for a second. The only voice of Phil I can remember is the one from the Kingdom Hearts games, so I'm good with that!

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
I guess trying to go back on topic was just a nice thought.
I'm not "pissed" this thread got derailed, mind you, it's just that these topics are touchy for a reason: I think the main issue is that there always will be a disconnection between each side until everybody learns to understand the other's perspective and feelings (understand, not accepting blindly).
People who for whatever reason are against condemnding Woods that much will try and express their unsatisfaction by saying things like "phrase this better", "don't be so mad at someone who advocates your destruction" and so on. Which is just... no, you can't do that. You can't just ask (or DEMAND) people who went through painful experiences you'll never even imagine to ditch all of that and embrace your view on the subject.
But likewise, the biggest... mh, I guess gripe? I have with the opposite faction, is the same problem of just imposing a way on others.
Look, this is a really awful and hard thing to say and I'm not feeling good about it. LGBT people (and all minorities as that) just want equality and being treated as normal and dignified human beings (there definitely are individuals out there for some kind of vendetta, but as Sora2016 said extremists exist everywhere). And I am totally out there with you that's only fair and should've been like this from the very beginning.
But the ugly truth is that it just didn't happen, and there are individuals who think this is up for debate or even those who says violence against gay people isn't a thing anymore (yeah, right).
Casting momentarily aside all the frustration this provokes, it shows some people have a harder time even figuring out there is a problem with the suffering of so many others. Which is... bad, dumb, unfair, whichever you want and you're probably right, but this is why ""just"" pointing out the problems isn't enough.

So while on some aspects this indeed is "bigots vs a fair and humane demand", I think they both suffer from the same problem: one side can't empathize enough with the opposite to effectively convey their message or understand the other. People from the LGBT community can totally say to me they don't want to empathize with dumb bigots who think their existence is a matter of discussion, and as a straight person I can't talk you out of that: that's your choice to make as you're your own man/woman.
But I think that's the only way to truly proceed on this fight, especially if universal decency and human treatment for everyone is what we want.

TLDR: I'm one of the people who loved Joyner Lucas "I'm not racist" song and believes we need mutual understanding which also implies coming to terms with understanding even the most obtuse or infuriating mindset. If you don't want to, that's okay. Coherently with my message, it's not up to me to tell you how to fight this war or to fight in the first place.

Mh okay, I can see a compilation, maybe a trailer made of past trailers' highlights.

I do genuinely try to "understand" the other side, at least in the sense I know they are complex humans with their own lives and needs. And even if they are shitty to me, I realize there are people who love them usually and stuff like that. I can be empathetic to why people are bigoted to a point, but it is sort of exhausting to deal with all the time. I sort of try to not speak when I get to that point where I am just angry lol, which I was sort of low-key reaching yesterday and I started replying to this thread less.... I'm sure I wasn't poignant enough at some points but I tried to discuss stuff civilly I think?

But like I said, I try not to just let people say stuff anymore... I think that staying silent, along with the kind of person who just jumps in and defends people being bigots, has allowed them to think they can get away with it.

And it is sad, its a statistically proven fact bigotry makes the world worse. Clearly this applies more to the bigotry in the workplace and governments than it does to maybe just some rando, but unsurprisingly having systematic oppression in place makes most minorities able to contribute less to society. Also, our drive and happiness go way down at times cuz of it too lol. I guess my point is, I want to stop bigotry for me for sure, but I also believe it will make everyone's lives better in the end. Including bigots, funnily enough. Thats why its sad they are literally just making their lives worse, and just so they can hate others?

Oh, and real talk...so yea the compassion thing is definitely important, but it probably will take quite a long time to have the affect we want right now? So while I do want that to keep happening...I feel like even if we as a majority of society keep condemning this behavior and even trying to make real punishments for it like them losing their jobs, or sponsors, or whatever at the very least sends the message that they can't just run around shouting whatever bigoted crap they want cuz "free speech!" And that is clearly a band-aid solution, but gosh it sounds better than what has been happening the past few years, at least in America... I realize some other places are clearly way worse.

That's his fault for not being civil and respectfully elaborating his point of view. Calling everybody Social Justice Warriors with no context is an insult. Plain and simple. There's free speech and then there's hate speech, people who are talking here are clearly aware of the difference between the two.

The only reason why you don't agree with Woods being a terrible person is because he is not targeting the kind of people you care about. The day that he targets people that are more alike than you is the day you'll understand why people hate him. By the way, did you make the effort to click the links on the previous posts? because as I elaborated there, he's accused of harassment.

And don't pull the :p face, that just makes you look condescending.

Onto the topic at hand, maybe Square Enix was the one to hire back James Woods and not Disney. Because if I recall correctly, voice acting casting is delegated between Disney and Square Enix depending on the character. Disney is very conscious about the PR surrounding the people they hire for any project, however, I highly doubt Square Enix has the same mentality.

I'm really unsure how widespread the knowledge about his accusations and views are? I really hadn't seen anything at all about it till the past year, and it was mostly on places like this, not like Facebook, or funnily enough Twitter lol. I kinda think it has been slipping under the radar, so I dunno if they would consider it bad PR to hire him... and I do think Disney are probably the ones who got him again.

Last edited:
Awards
Oh gosh, no one has ever done anything like that to me when I have been with a boyfriend, maybe its a cultural difference? I am always looking over my shoulder...but I have been lucky no one has ever really done anything. But I haven't been lucky enough to get a long term boyfriend to consistently go out with all the time lol, so that doesn't help...

I mean i'm from Brazil, one of the countries with the highest rates of LGBT murder so that doesn't help me lol

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
just that you're not exactly winning any points in your presentation. It's not what you say that bothers me; it's how you say it.

Why though? Because the blunt truth is harder to ignore than a good old whitewashed nice approach?
Some things need to be said blatantly and clearly until they've been heard enough. This thread is proof of that in itself.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
Well, if Agrabah is going to be a returning world then Iago's voice actor would probably be met with the same ire, especially in regards to those tasteless jokes he made a few years back regarding a Japanese tsunami that happened. Besides, both James Woods and Gilbert Godfrey are likely C or D rated actors in the film industry. When has Gilbert Godfrey had a major film presence outside of the Problem Child franchise and Aladdin?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Well, if Agrabah is going to be a returning world then Iago's voice actor would probably be met with the same ire, especially in regards to those tasteless jokes he made a few years back regarding a Japanese tsunami that happened. Besides, both James Woods and Gilbert Godfrey are likely C or D rated actors in the film industry. When has Gilbert Godfrey had a major film presence outside of the Problem Child franchise and Aladdin?

Gilbert Godfrey is treated like a joke these days. People don’t listen to him seriously unlike they do James Woods, who has a really big social media following.

Actors have influence outside of what projects they take on. It doesn’t matter if Woods hasn’t been in a blockbuster film or huge hit TV show in years. He has an audience elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back