• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Immortality is just another 20 years aways. Immortality discussion.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
I have no doubts that making people immortal is a bad thing and will/would become problematic on even a very short time line. That being said, I will be first in line to be receiving my augmentations whenever possible. I want to be able to sprint for fifteen minutes straight when I'm a thousand years old.

EDIT: This is the scary part to me:

"If we want to go into virtual-reality mode, nanobots will shut down brain signals and take us wherever we want to go. Virtual sex will become commonplace. And in our daily lives, hologram like figures will pop in our brain to explain what is happening.

Sounds like an ugly combination of The Matrix, 1984, and one of those "For Dummies" books but with "Life" as the subject.

Raiko

Come break me down
All I know is, it's not something I'm on board about. Instead of making it so that people live forever, why don't the find a cure to AIDS and cancer? With all the money that has gone into that sort of research all we have are treatments that aren't even guaranteed to work.

Thats a very good point. i think they should stick to the problem that still lingers in the world (AIDs, HIV etc etc..) and solve it, not do something that will almost be impossible to do even with the technology we have.

besides:

Nothing lasts forever.

Everything must come to an end someday.

Iridium

Snobby Von PersnicketyBitch
Awards
why don't the find a cure to AIDS and cancer?

Creating vaccines for the elusive HIV virus is a very difficult process, which means it would take time to find a sure fire cure. Besides there are also medications to help combat the disease and its effects; not fool proof but something is better then nothing. As for Cancer, there's no solid cure for that too since it has multiple causes. There are ways to help prevent it by leading a relatively healthy lifestyle but that doesn't mean you can't acquire it later down the line.

Kh-allyDelicious

Iridium said:
Ever heard of something called Space Colonization?

In a short period of 20yrs ? Nope , thats something 100 years from now , since we have to make conditions right for life ,not only that but we have not even mastered Earth yet to even think about other planets. And frankly by that time over population would have obliterated us by then . So your point is invalid . =P

Last edited:

Iridium

Snobby Von PersnicketyBitch
Awards
In a short period of 20yrs ? Nope , thats something 100 years from now , since we have to make conditions right for life ,not only that but we have not even mastered Earth yet to even think about other planets. And frankly by that time over population would have obliterated us by then . So your point is invalid . =P

I was just making a point. Space Colonization doesn't necessarily mean that we'd be creating another Earth from the get go; that's just ridiculous. I'm simply saying, if we have the resources and tech we might as well become a space faring race. That is if we last that long as a species; if we don't destroy ourselves nature will do the job. Either on our mother earth or on another world.

Last edited:

Prajna

I was just making a point. Space Colonization doesn't necessarily mean that we'd be creating another Earth; that's just ridiculous. I'm simply saying, if we have the resources and tech we might as well become a space faring race. That is if we last that long as a species; if we don't destroy ourselves nature will do the job. Either on our mother earth or on another world.

They should get started on space colonization, instead of making robots that are sent into your bloodstream, I trust blood bots as much I trust the H1NI vaccine. :thumbdown:

Raiko

Come break me down
EDIT: This is the scary part to me:
"If we want to go into virtual-reality mode, nanobots will shut down brain signals and take us wherever we want to go. Virtual sex will become commonplace. And in our daily lives, hologram like figures will pop in our brain to explain what is happening.

Sounds like an ugly combination of The Matrix, 1984, and one of those "For Dummies" books but with "Life" as the subject.

now that i didn't see.
well thats just ridiculous. I think that it shouldn't happen. I mean real Sex is a natural thing. Virtual would just be unnatural.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
The concept of making people immortal is certainly a... not necessarily fantastical but a sort of amazing idea, but until the human race's other technologies can push ahead too, Earth's going to face an even worse overpopulation problem for those that are immortal.

Plus, I think it's more than likely there'd be an age limit imposed somewhere down the line to curb the population problems.

Awards
wow. this sounds like the beginning of a disaster movie... But still some of those ideas do sound good. perhaps if it just made you live longer, like maybe 200 years?

Oh and Vandread (God I loved that anime) a human with robotics in their body is called a cyborg, a android is a robot that is made to resemble and act like humans.

Snow

Stain me Red with Blood
Well, not exactly against immortality, but actually, can't say it's very good either way. It's a sensitive topic which has an answer varying from person to person. For me, I actually want to try it for awhile. Until I get bored after two days or so.

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
I think there are legitimate concerns against the idea of immortality, but some of the protests put forward on this thread need to be reevaluated.

Loneliness--the idea put forward is that, in 20 years or so, immortality will be available to the human race; not just you personally. That means you will be spending eternity with both your loved and hated ones, not just watching them die.

Of course, distribution of immortality is another question altogether; should such technology become available, I do not doubt there will be sharp divisions between the haves and have-nots.

Priority to curing AIDS and cancer--how is this any different?

Overpopulation--this is one of those legitimate concerns, but we might bring up the fact that it is a legitimate concern entirely separate of our dreams of immortality; the latter would merely exasperate an already massive problem.

Just wanted to put those out there for more thought.

EDIT:
Mr. Wilhelm said:
The reason it shouldn't be done is different. Imagine family. You daughter's daughter would have the same age than you with this.
This would be a very interesting consequence of immortality, worth looking at more closely I think. Why do you list it as a reason immortality shouldn't be achieved?

Last edited:

Vayne Mechanics

Expert of Asian things
Awards
What kind of immortality are we talking about?

1) You don't age and can't die from anything. Completely immortal.
2) You don't age, and won't thus won't die from age but can still die from external stimuli.
3) You age, but you don't die from age or anything else.
4) You age, you can't die from age but you are vulnerable to any means of death outside of old age.

The Conquerer

The Bloody Warrior
Awards
Unless they develop something that fights off the air we breath, then I say it is impossible. After all, it is the most important thing in our lives that causes us to age. Then again, I guess if these nanomachines reverses how damage the air does to our bodies over a period of time, I guess it is some what possible.

C

Crossroads

Do movies teach you nothing? :p
No robots controlling my body plz.

zettaLOL

Website
wanderingwolf18.tripod.com
Uh, I can't even think of stuff to do on weekends. Why the hey would I wanna be immortal??!

'Sides, haven't any of you seen Tuck Everlasting? I don't really care for the movie, but it makes a good point--what's so dang great about immortality, anyway? (Not that movies are usually accurate to real life or anything, lol)

frisson

Silver Member
It sounds really expensive, I doubt we'd have overpopulation issues with only a fraction becoming "immortal". I'd be up for it, because I know that even with augmentations, I'll eventually die. Sounds fun.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
2) You don't age, and won't thus won't die from age but can still die from external stimuli.
4) You age, you can't die from age but you are vulnerable to any means of death outside of old age.

Kind of one and the same, but not being able to die at all just seems impossible, and hella expensive like cunt said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back