• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Immortality is just another 20 years aways. Immortality discussion.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

very differentiable
Awards
Immortality, what a deceiving concept. Forget movies, forget games or any work of fiction, the reality is far more grim. Even if we are able to colonise space (a big if), we would die eventually. It is just a matter of time for the universe to end. The three most likely scenarios are compressed into an infinitely small volume, ripped into shreds or eventually have no means of sustaining yourself since no potential energy is left. Three rather frightening ways to die. And when we fail to leave earth, we will be fried to death, literally hell on earth. I'll take my 60/70/80 years and get out of it what i can.

Trag

Bronze Member
No one lives forever, no one. But with advances in modern science and my high level income, it's not crazy to think I can live to be 245, maybe 300.

Xeon{Myroku}

Demonic Pony
Immortality is only a waste if your the only one who lives forever. I mean you can't enjoy it because you can't start a family because they'll age and die while you still live on, your friends will die, everything will die around you while your just walking around living. Soon once all of humanity except yourself dies, it's gonna suck because you'll have no one to talk or socialize with, you'll just go mad and try to kill yourself but you can't because you can't die. Living forever may seem like a dream come true, but after the first 50 years of living like that, you'll realize it's just a nightmare you can't wake up from.

Beastly

Well Hello Beautiful
Immortality is a waste cuz of never ending pain, and old age.

plus, you're the only one who is immortal.

Mr. Wilhelm

Also Sprach Zarathustra
Website
www.animus-sorrow.org
Like it has been precised, the point of their research is for everyone to be immortal, not just you alone.

As for the children's children having the same age than you... Imagine the Christmas evening. Where are we going to find the money for that much presents? More seriously, I just find it kinda weird.

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
As for the children's children having the same age than you... Imagine the Christmas evening. Where are we going to find the money for that much presents? More seriously, I just find it kinda weird.
imagine all the incest fantasies coming to fruition
We would certainly have to redefine how relationships are judged upon age. Of course, immortality does not entirely do away with age, or the differences of experience and perception that arise from it, nor does it do away with other aspects in a relationship such as are present between a parent and child. But it would unquestionably raise serious issues and break traditional mores.

Square Ninja said:
you should all read the Lazarus Long books by Robert Heinlein, by the way
Okay.

The Conquerer

The Bloody Warrior
Awards
People would probably get tired of living anyway and commit suicide. Forever is a long time... Eventually couples wanting to go out together and kills themselves. I see it now, all of the time, effort, and money going into this project... Then billions of dollars go into ads, organizations, and what not dedicated to stopping suicidal behavior...

Awards
This reminds me so much of Ghost in the shell. Although we don't have the tech to stop our brains from ageing. we need some way of transferring or copying the info stored in our heads.

KaiSparda1018

Website
www.myspace.com
Immortality is only a waste if your the only one who lives forever. I mean you can't enjoy it because you can't start a family because they'll age and die while you still live on, your friends will die, everything will die around you while your just walking around living. Soon once all of humanity except yourself dies, it's gonna suck because you'll have no one to talk or socialize with, you'll just go mad and try to kill yourself but you can't because you can't die. Living forever may seem like a dream come true, but after the first 50 years of living like that, you'll realize it's just a nightmare you can't wake up from.

But wouldn't life then become extremely mundane? Seeing the same things and the same people...forever? With immortality, people would like to think that they would now have a chance to travel the world and do all sorts of things, but they most likely would end up staying in the same place doing the same things for centuries? This world isn't that great a place that I would want to live in it for centuries longer than I have to...

Prajna

But wouldn't life then become extremely mundane? Seeing the same things and the same people...forever? With immortality, people would like to think that they would now have a chance to travel the world and do all sorts of things, but they most likely would end up staying in the same place doing the same things for centuries? This world isn't that great a place that I would want to live in it for centuries longer than I have to...

If it were to increase your life expectancy by like 20 years, I'm all for that. But eternal life is ridiculous, it will never be achieved, not in this lifetime anyways.

KaiSparda1018

Website
www.myspace.com
I agree. Twenty years is reasonable, but really, people were mentioning like a hundred years - who would want to live that long? And I'm sure we wouldn't actually stop aging. How do you think you would look 200 years from now?

Mr. Wilhelm

Also Sprach Zarathustra
Website
www.animus-sorrow.org
I've gotta say, this topic astonishes me. I mean, I've always seen immortality as one of humanity greatest dream, and not a single person in the thread said something about this being good. I mean, if everyone realize it I'm glad, but is everyone really thinking this, or posting that it sucks just to not go against the few first posts that were made?

The Conquerer

The Bloody Warrior
Awards
I don't know, going by the logic I'm assuming people would retain their physical prime for much longer as nanomachines would repair skin dragging, and overly reverse the effects the oxygen has on the body (which causes the body to age). So I guess from the age of 25-29 humans would retain that state... That's the theory anyways...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back